Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foley-Did he Get what he deserved?

raj824

I'm sure everyone by now had heard about Foley, the football player from San Diego who was shot outside of his home.

I was listening to one of the evening sports talk radio shows on 980 and the guys said race didn't have anything to do with the shooting. I found it shocking. But if he said it, I'm sure others believe it.

Can you honestly say that race was not involved? If so, why?

If the term "resisting arrest" or "dangerous driving under the influence" or "defying an order of a policeman" are in the report then it is the fault of the man who was shot.

Tell me if any of these points were raised in the police report. If they are then give the race card a break on this one.

Alright? :)

If the term "resisting arrest" or "dangerous driving under the influence" or "defying an order of a policeman" are in the report then it is the fault of the man who was shot.

Just because its in the report doesnt mean it really happened. I'm not saying its about race, because the cops do crooked **** to white people too though.

I dont get it, why would a cop, 20 miles out of jurisdiction, in an unmarked car decide to randomly follow him? why not call it in? the rookie cop prolly thought the car was stolen...and i do think there was some racism involved.

In this day and age, I just can't believe that some cops will be going about their business, find a guy just hanging out doing nothing and say, "hey, a black dude! Let's shoot him! That would be fun!"

EDIT: Edited below. I didn't have all my facts straight.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/03/nfl.shooting/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

(CNN) -- The San Diego Chargers' Steve Foley was shot Sunday by an off-duty policeman who had followed him to his home after noticing Foley's car driving erratically, a sheriff's investigator in San Diego, California, said.

The 30-year-old, nine-year NFL veteran was shot twice; his wounds are not believed to be life-threatening, said San Diego Sheriff's Department Lt. Dennis Brugos.

The shooting came less than a week after the 6-foot, 4-inch, 265-pound linebacker was cleared on charges stemming from a scuffle with police in April.

The Coronado police officer, who was driving an unmarked car and was about 20 miles outside his jurisdiction, told investigators he started following Foley's car after he saw it about 10 miles north of San Diego on Interstate 15 northbound "weaving in lanes, traveling at speeds of between 30 and 90 mph and nearly colliding with several other vehicles on the highway."

Sounds like he was pretty obviously drunk or otherwise messed up.

Have to amend my previous post. Sounds like a bit of a gung-ho cop, but at the same time, why would he actually shoot someone he was tailing? He must have feared for his safety at some point.

"Can you honestly say that race was not involved? If so, why?"

Well, I can. I would think that if you take the pledge and are a cop, you are always on the clock, gung-ho or not. Or at least you should be. Weaving car, varying speeds...narrowly missing people....I think, however seriously this cop was taking it, he did a good job. Provided all this is true.

People get pulled over for drunk driving every night. Don't hear about people getting shot over drunk driving every night. Foley probably went after the guy or something incredibly stupid like that. However, if he was driving a Grand-Am screaming at Foley to get out of the car...I don't know. I'm sure he identified himself as a police officer, badge flashing appropriately..., at least he should have....and with previous run-ins with officers, as is this Foley's history, who knows?

Sorry, but cops go through so much, I tend to take their side right off the bat, until I get more info that tells me differently.

Uhh.... you guys do realize Foley thought the cop had a BB gun... and the cop fired two shots into the bushes and said... "This is a real gun, this is not a BB gun..." (I wasn't there, but that's the point of a warning shot).

There is also a rumor going around (at least reported on radio station) that Foley blew 3 times the legal limit... .25 BAC. I'm sure that impaired some of his judgement.

When the officer ordered Foley to pull his car over, the linebacker initially drove off before stopping "after a short distance," getting out of his car and walking toward the officer, Brugos said.

At that, the police officer pulled out his handgun and verbally identified himself, warning Foley to stop walking toward him, the investigator said.

"That's a BB gun," Brugos said Foley told him.

Foley then stopped his advance, returned to his car and pulled away, driving at least two more miles before stopping on Travertine Court, the upper-class street where he lives, Brugos said.

The officer said Foley again got out of his car and walked toward him, while his passenger -- Lisa Maree Gaut -- drove alongside him in the car.

"As the suspect approached, the officer again identified himself as a police officer and that his gun was real," the police statement said.

To prove it, the officer said he fired one warning shot into bushes and two shots toward the sky.

"The male suspect reached into his pants with his right hand as he approached the officer," the police statement said. "The officer then fired at the suspect. The suspect acknowledged that he had been shot, but continued toward the officer, who then fired again at him. This time the suspect fell to the ground."

Foley was taken to Sharp Memorial Hospital, where his wounds were not considered life-threatening, Brugos said.

Uhh.... you guys do realize Foley thought the cop had a BB gun... and the cop fired two shots into the bushes and said... "This is a real gun, this is not a BB gun..." (I wasn't there, but that's the point of a warning shot).

There is also a rumor going around (at least reported on radio station) that Foley blew 3 times the legal limit... .25 BAC. I'm sure that impaired some of his judgement.

uggghhh....give facts and not rumors.

A drunken, 6'4" linebacker is approaching you, even after you identify yourself to him as a cop and order him to stop. You fire 3 warning shots, no effect. I would plant one in him too. Then the man keeps coming towards you. You shoot him again. He's lucky he wasn't killed.

I'm sure everyone by now had heard about Foley, the football player from San Diego who was shot outside of his home.

I was listening to one of the evening sports talk radio shows on 980 and the guys said race didn't have anything to do with the shooting. I found it shocking. But if he said it, I'm sure others believe it.

Can you honestly say that race was not involved? If so, why?

Sounds like you are pulling out the race card w/o having all the facts. Works both ways.

Dan

Did you read the article I just posted? Everything but the 3 times the legal limit was reported by CNN. HERE IS THE LINK

Although if you took any time to look into the fact, you would've known this by now.

Yeah, I read this (cover up) story when it came out DAYS ago. I find a lot of this to be a little coincidental. The one witness that he have yet to hear from is Foley himself because he is still being sedated I don't expect him to come out and say that he was in the wrong, but it would be interesting to see how much of his story matches up with what was said by the Sheriff's department.

We all know how reliable they can be. :rolleyes:

I honestly think that the whole ordeal wasn't racially motivated but more of an issue of vengence. If you assault or kill a police officer, you're marked by every officer in that department. With the way this whole thing has gone down, it seems as if this was all about trying to get back at Foley.

It always has to be about race, doesn't it? Even when it's not. (Or at least there's no evidence so far that it is.)

That being said, judging by the facts as I understand them (and as a former police officer) it sounds like this cop was DEAD wrong on numerous counts.

First of all, he's off duty in his personal car, in civilian clothes and apparently only ID'd himself as a cop verbally. No police ID, no badge. ANYONE can say "Hey, stop, I'm a police officer." Unless the guy is in uniform and/or in a marked cruiser, I'm going to respectfully request that he produce a badge and police ID. If he's legit, he'll have no problem providing that.

Second, he apparently followed the car for some time before Foley reached his residence. The off-duty officer had time to wait for a marked unit if he let the guy go all the way to his house. If he wants to claim "exigent circumstance" (i.e. I have to take action due to immediate risk of injury or loss of crucial evidence) he should've taken action earlier. It's hard to claim that exigent circumstance if Foley made it to his house safely.

Third, I have never in my life (8 years Army, 5 years civilian LE) heard of firing warning shots. If you display a firearm, it had better be your intent to use it. And by "use it" I mean the body armour-drill. Two to the chest, one to the head; evaluate target; repeat as necessary.

Finally, if the officer was on administrative leave already (which I can't confirm) he shouldn't have had his badge or duty weapon in his possession. If it turns out this guy didn't have a badge and/or was using a personal weapon, he should go away for a LONG time.

I'm not saying Foley was right in this case. If he was drunk and driving recklessly, he deserved to have an encounter with a police officer. All I'm saying is that it should've been an on-duty, easily identifiable officer, within his jurisdiction, taking action according to the law and his department SOP. It appears as though that was the furthest thing from what Foley actually encountered.

Archived