Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey being "left out" at Jets training camp practices

UpNorth

Ramsey is a good backup QB. If he needs to play in a pinch, his physical tools will allow him to run a stripped-down playbook and give you a good shot to win (vs. Tennessee in 2002, vs. NY last year).

However, once he has EVERYTHING to think about, he thinks too much and isn't nearly as effective.

It's not a horrible thing in life to be a career backup QB. He'll make plenty of money, get plenty of glory, and live a good life!

Ramsey has always thought he deserved to be a starter despite never having shown on the field that he has earned it.

Steve McNair sat on the bench for how long after being a top pick before he became the starter in Tennessee? Even Carson Palmer sat as a rookie.

Joe Theismann was 28 when he finally became the starting qb of the Redskins.

Ramsey was allowed to rule the roost during a period in which the coaching here was poor and there was no leadership.

If Gibbs had drafted Ramsey, PR like Arrington would never have developed this exaggerated sense of himself.

Another crystal clear post by bulldog.

Sometimes our fans get caught up with emotion vs. the reality of performance of a player. PR is a nice guy...just not a starting qb in the NFL.

I don't think coaches care whether the QB "rubs them the wrong way." I mean, when you look at some of the QBs who have won Super Bowls - Jim McMahon... our own Joe T - a lot of them come across as real, um, buttheads. Dan Marino strikes me as a terribly obnoxious person. No one ever made him go to the #2 field to run fade routes.

Patrick may just not be that skilled.

http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121046

Ramsey, in his second chance to work with the starting unit, was spotty in the day's only practice. In red-zone drills, he was intercepted twice and overthrew an open Jerricho Cotchery. Ramsey rallied late in the practice, hooking up with Justin McCareins for a TD on a nice fade route.

seems that ramsey stilo of being a slow starter is really hurting him.

The Jets were the best chance for him to become a starter. Their starter for the last two seasons had suffered injuries that most QBs don't really recover from, add in the fact he's never had much of an arm before the injury and you would think the team would welcome Ramsey's cannon. Then you have Bollinger, who's never going to be a starter in this league, another rookie, and you would think that Ramsey would be head and shoulders above all the other quarterbacks by the first pre-season game. Yet he's not, matter of fact, he's achieved the rare ability to play himself out of practice reps...wow.

It's pretty obvious that Ramsey just has no feel for the quarterback position. He has all the tools, yet none of the more important ones, like feel for the pocket, gameday management, or leadership qualities. He has the tools that allowed him to get drafted high and that's it. Which just shows how flawed the whole drafting process is. It's all about talent, and very little about the intangiblies. When realistically, both categories should be evaluated evenly.

i truely second that opinion, i told a friend that just the other day. i'm sorry to hear about his misfortunes.

on a side note, if he does get cut, we as the redskin nation should say thank you again to the jets, this time for a "free" draft pick. :D

What was the draft pick that we got for Ramsey? Wasn't it 6th or 7th round?

Who did we get with that pick?

On another note, was Spurrier's first year also Ramsey's rookie year? Bcus I remember Dan W., Shane Matthews, etc... as the starters instead of Ramsey.

I just wish that poll showed names of who voted for who. Egg on face.

If I remember correctly, the results of that poll at least partly inspired Henry's sig line. Or I may have just fabricated that in my head. I don't think he said anything, I just sort of figured it at the time. :laugh:

He's in real trouble, folks. He stunk it up in the scrimmage -- looked tentative and had happy feet. But more importantly, Brooks Bollinger has been shining in practice as of late. Pennington and Clemens are locks to make the team. If Bollinger continues to play well and PR continues to not, the Jets might eat that one year extension and simply cut Ramsey.

Wow.

Archived