Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the "tuck" rule?

Skins Addict

I've been watching NFL games for almost 20 years, and I still don't completely understand the "tuck" rule. All I know is that it started getting media attention during the Tom Brady play in the snowstorm against the Raiders. And there was a similar play with Jake Plummer during the Redskins/Broncos game in 2005. Both plays looked like clear fumbles to me. Does anybody here completely understand the definition of the "tuck" rule? If so, can you explain it to an idiot like me?

I guess I could research it on the Internet, but I'd rather get somebody's insight here (preferably somebody who actually played QB and/or has great football knowledge).

Thanks.

Kinda simple, it's based upon the new fangled Idea of pump fake - Some QB's have gotten so good - that it actually looks like they gonna throw the ball, but then they 'tuck' it, now since the ref can't tell whats in the mind of the QB - if it looks like to him like the QB is gonna 'tuck' the ball instead of throwing the ball.

Thats when he rules it a 'tuck'

But then it could be that the stupid QB just smashed with a forearm, and he fumbles the ball and then gets it in mid air...

Here's a bit on the "historic tuck play".

In the Patriots playoff victory over the Raiders, Pats quarterback Tom brady, who appeared to fumble on a pass play in the final two minutes, was given a second chance to win the game based on Walt Coleman's interpretation of a replay. The tape showed that Brady's arm was still moving down as he decided not to pass but to tuck the ball in. Coleman made the correct interpretation of the rule, calling it a downward passing motion and calling the play an incomplete pass and not a fumble.

To have a pass called a fumble in such a play under the current rule, Brady would have had to tuck the ball to his side.

The rule states that if Plummer fumbles the ball at home Denver gets to keep the ball.
I'm impressed, 5 responses and not a single one used the phrase "....that the refs pulled out of their *****". I just lost $5.

I hope you went double or nothing.. You could have won some serious cash here. :laugh:

The "Tuck Rule" is a rule put in place to keep QB's from looking stupid and to totally piss off the opposing team who ended up recovering the fumble. :mad:
Another sucky rule for defenses to deal with.
The rule states that if Plummer fumbles the ball at home Denver gets to keep the ball.

:laugh: And the NFL just goes merrily along (like Annie Hall) "La di da, la di da."

Okay, so we went through a whole page without a thorough explanation of the tuck rule. Let me give it a try...

The issue that the tuck rule address is this:

When does a forward pass begin? When does it end?

When does a forward pass begin? A forward pass begins when the quarterback's arm starts moving forward.

When does a forward pass end? There are two ways for a forward pass to end: (1) A forward pass ends when the ball hits the ground, resulting in an incomplete pass. (2) A forward pass ends when the ball comes under the possession of a player without hitting the ground, resulting in a completion, an interception, or a tuck.

The tuck rule isn't really a rule in itself; it is a consequence of this simple definition of the forward pass. When the quarterback's arm starts moving forward, the forward pass has started, and nothing can end the pass except for someone gaining possession of the ball or the ball hitting the ground.

All the problems come from defining "possession." This is complicated enough on the receiver's end, with a "football move" and all that, but it is even harder on the quarterback's end. If the quarterback is pump-faking the ball, does he keep possession throughout the pump fake? That can't be right because we already know that the pass starts as soon as the quarterback's arm starts moving forward. At some point in the pump-faking motion, the forward pass has to start and stop, and it has to be when the quarterback re-establishes possession.

The tuck rule makes things simple for the referees: The quarterback doesn't have possession until he tucks the ball back into his body.

This is pretty much the only rule we can have as long as forward passes are defined as beginning when the quarterback's arm starts moving forward. If we want to get rid of the tuck rule, we'll have to change the definition of the forward pass, perhaps to when the ball leaves the quarterback's hands.

The tuck rule is a figment of the imagination.

Guess what rule isn't here? :)

http://www.nfl.com/features/rulebook

It's not actually called the tuck rule(kinda like it's not actually the Deion Sander's rule), but it's there:

www.nfl.com/fans/rules/protectionofpasser

Protection of Passer

1. By interpretation, a pass begins when the passer -- with possession of ball -- starts to bring his hand forward. If ball strikes ground after this action has begun, play is ruled an incomplete pass. If passer loses control of ball prior to his bringing his hand forward, play is ruled a fumble.

2. When a passer is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his arm starts a forward pass. If a defensive player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.

Whether it should be there is a whole different matter though. ;)

Protection of Passer

1. By interpretation, a pass begins when the passer -- with possession of ball -- starts to bring his hand forward. If ball strikes ground after this action has begun, play is ruled an incomplete pass. If passer loses control of ball prior to his bringing his hand forward, play is ruled a fumble.

2. When a passer is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his arm starts a forward pass. If a defensive player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.

I've seen plays were the QB does one pump fake, brings the ball back in to run, gets tackled, fumbles (before he goes down), and the refs STILL give the ball back to the offense. You'll see it again this year. It's now the Brady rule gone WACKO.

It affected us this season. Redskins vs. Broncos. Do anyone remember?

Even under the completely asinine, nauseating description of the tuck rule, Plummer's fumble was, in fact, a fumble. The Redskins got totally screwed on that call, and it was the difference in the game.

Every so often, I feel embarrased to be a fan of the NFL. A rule that turns one of the fundemental principals of the game into a ticky tack excercise of semantics has no place in a game like football.

Here’s an article of relevance:

Link To Full Article

Tuesday, March 19

Updated: March 20, 11:42 AM ET

'Tuck rule' not among rule changes

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The NFL changed seven playing rules Tuesday, tabled the controversial "tuck rule" decision until later meetings and opted to leave unchanged the existing onside-kick rule that provides the kicking team a second chance if the ball goes out of bounds.

In a slight change of agendas from past years, the NFL decided to let owners vote on rules proposals Tuesday instead of waiting until Wednesday, as in past owners meetings. One of the reasons for the reshuffled agenda is that only nine proposals were considered and most affected only small segments of the game.

The tuck controversy and the onside-kick debate dominated most of the two-hour session involving the Competition Committee Tuesday morning. In the end, no one could figure out a way to change the "tuck rule," so the committee decided to use the extra time between meetings to gather more information.

In the Patriots playoff victory over the Raiders, Pats quarterback Tom Brady, who appeared to fumble on a pass play in the final two minutes, was given a second chance to win the game based on Walt Coleman's interpretation of a replay. The tape showed that Brady's arm was still moving down as he decided not to pass but to tuck the ball in. Coleman made the correct interpretation of the rule, calling it a downward passing motion and calling the play an incomplete pass and not a fumble.

To have a pass called a fumble in such a play under the current rule, Brady would have had to tuck the ball to his side.

Article Continues Here

Archived