Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the "tuck" rule?

Skins Addict

Thanks for the feedback. I think I finally understand what "tuck" means. The best explanation I saw was John Clayton's article:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1354105.html

"To have a pass called a fumble in such a play under the current rule, Brady would have had to tuck the ball to his side."

What's really stupid about all this is even the refs screw up the definition of "tuck". Check out the Jake Plummer replay on http://redskinsnation.net/ - the ref says:

"after reviewing the play, the quarterback's arm was going forward - it is a tuck..."

No!!!! If it was a tuck, Plummer would have tucked the ball to his side for a split second. Then if the ball got knocked out, it would be a fumble.

In summary, I would say the refs got the calls right... they just need to improve their terminology when talking about it.

Another sucky rule for defenses to deal with.

Thats for damn sure. I remember Plummer FUMBLING the ball and us recovering it in the end zone. Then the ref comes in and calls it an incomplete. I was so god damn pissed. If we won that game, we would've been division champs. They seriously need to change this rule.

Such garbage...

If a QB throws the ball behind the line of scrimmage it's a fumble if it hits the ground.

If a QB tries to throw the ball forward and it slips out and goes backward; it's an incomplete pass.

If a QB tries to pump fake and fumbles the ball while trying to tuck the ball; it's an incomplete pass. *ahem* Thanks for screwing us over in Denver.

Why the hell is there a rule that saves a QB from being retarded?

Even under the completely asinine, nauseating description of the tuck rule, Plummer's fumble was, in fact, a fumble. The Redskins got totally screwed on that call, and it was the difference in the game.

Every so often, I feel embarrased to be a fan of the NFL. A rule that turns one of the fundemental principals of the game into a ticky tack excercise of semantics has no place in a game like football.

i thought it should have been at least a backward pass, which would have been a fumble- he lets it go near his knee and it lands behind and beside his foot. it was unintentional, no doubt, but thats what he did.

Actually, in the Denver game, they recovered the ball and it should have been a safety, hence we wouldn't have had to go for 2 in the final seconds and would have won with and XP.

Also, I don't think anyone had ever heard of the Tuck Rule until it happened in that NE/Oak playoff game. the NFL insisted it was on the rulebook, but even the announcers had never heard of it.

I am not going to read the entire thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat, but the tuck rule is what made the Pats a Dynasty...I honestly believe in my heart if the correct call was made, the Pats would have ZERO Titles instead of THREE....that propelled them in a way.

:thud:

we finally agree

I think Bledsoe would have become the starting QB again, and Brady wouldn't have gotten the confidence, and developed like he did. Instead of being the boy hero, he would have been considered the goat that fumbled away the championship.

Archived