Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA 07 released at midnight tonight 7/17

ThreeKings

:idea:

Ahh, NOW I see where the animosity is coming from... lol

I take it you are one of the many who blindly accept what EA puts out? The "animosity" was alive and well long before the ESPN series was even put out bro. It's called being uncreative.

You really did a good job at reading my entire post and obtaining such a brillaint deduction :rolleyes: . Another fanboy who acts as if he has "stock" in EA :doh:.

GC

gameplay is great. AI seems better at times but still plays like it should, i.e. the better team will win. I played VT-UVA on All-American as VT and I won 28-10 but I didn't pull away until the end of the 3rd quarter. For example, I was playing SS in a Cover 3 play and UVA did a play action, I bit hard, and the computer threw the ball to a receiver on a post route exactly where I was supposed to be covering in center field. Touchdown UVA because I made a mistake in coverage, just like it happens in real life.

Also, when you get an impact WR on an impact CB, it is pretty much even on who wins the battle. Your WR might get a catch or two but the corner will have a deflection or near-INT for every catch your receiver gets.

And oh yeah, I was a little pissed that Branden Ore isn't even in the game, and he's Tech's best RB.

And Tech's QBs suck. Big time.

Okay, here's some first impressions. I'll start with the bad stuff to get it out of the way:

- I know some of you were concerned about a choppy framerate. Well, you may be right to be concerned. The game averages 30-40 fps, but can go as low as the mid-20s when a lot is going on, and it's raining. I think part of this is due to the detail of the stadiums and the crowd, but who knows. I honestly think the 360 should be able to do better than this. DISCLAIMER: My 360 overheats sometimes, and causes things to get a little choppy. Your mileage may vary. Also, as to the strobing crowd, I've got a 57" Grand WEGA on 720p, and all my other games look good enough to pop a boner, so I'm pretty sure it's not my setup.

- The playcalling system from Madden 06 on 360 was saved, and although it may be better in the long run (you can play a lot of psychological games, pretending to pick plays and whatnot), I'm sure a lot of people will think it's a change for the worse. Time will tell.

- The graphics sometimes look a little flat, particularly on distance shots of the stadiums. I think it's because there's simply not enough variety in the crowd, and this can lead to some weird strobe-type appearance of the audience. Not a big deal, but it can be an annoyance. Also, the crowd animations, while typically well done and diverse, sometimes look eerily robotic. Again, a small complaint.

- What the hell did you do with my maximum pass control. It might be in an options menu somewhere, but I can't find it. If anyone knows how to turn this on, let me know.

The good:

- The stadiums and crowds, while they probably slow the game down and have some little quirks, are simply awesome looking. I've only played at Blacksburg and NC so far, and I know little about the actual stadiums, but they seem to look very good. The crowd consists of actual polygonal fans, resulting in the best atmosphere in a football game to-date.

- The animations, and transitions between them, are awesome. Linebackers shedding blocks might stiff arm a guard, or shimmy around him. Tackles almost seem to be rendered on the fly, based on real physics and where the ballcarrier gets hit. I can't confirm this because I haven't played enough games yet, but it's possible. Implementing real-time physics on all the players, instead of canned animations, might be one of the reasons the framerate stutters a bit. That's an awful lot of physics processing.

- The actual gameplay seems more true to football than any game I've played so far. Actions on the field are fluid, aside from the nagging framerate. You don't feel like you're seeing the same canned antics every time players interact, and thus, play will probably stay fresher than with older versions of Madden or NCAA (which were already fun). Due to the improved animations, you feel more like you're seeing real kids playing real football. It's not totally lifelike, but it's much closer than previous-gen games.

My very first impression was that I was not too thrilled, but by the middle of the first game, I started to appreciate some of the stuff going on, and I'm having more fun as time passes. Even though the graphics are gorgeous up close, I'd rather take a little graphical hit and have the game run better. Being able to see true stadium reflections on every player's helmet is nice, but I think they sacrificed a little too much performance for graphics, which I can never agree with (personally).

If not having a great framerate is okay with you, you will most likely be quite impressed by this game. The main thing that impresses me is the animations, they're the best I've ever seen in a football game. I'll answer any questions, but I don't have much more than this right now. I need to play more.

A few additional notes:

There are more canned animations than I originally thought. They still look good, but I'm already seeing animations repeat multiple times after three games.

The framerate isn't as bad as I thought. I think I just had my XBOX in a rough spot and it was overheating. It's still not great, but it's more acceptable now.

The game seems too easy on the 2nd difficulty. I might have to get a crap team and put it up to Heisman to have some real challenge.

The AI seems pretty good, a little better than previous games. Receivers are very good about getting open and adjusting their routes based on the QB getting pressured. The computer AI on offense is, as always, easy to crush and predictable. If you have trouble with this game you might want to pick up Nintendogs or something.

I take it you are one of the many who blindly accept what EA puts out? The "animosity" was alive and well long before the ESPN series was even put out bro. It's called being uncreative.

You really did a good job at reading my entire post and obtaining such a brillaint deduction :rolleyes: . Another fanboy who acts as if he has "stock" in EA :doh:.

GC

:laugh:

WOW, you get fired up over some video games... lol

Well, I got it for x360 and was able to try out a half of NC State vs. Carolina.

First-graphics look great on a HD TV. Only played one game but animations are good, framerate is stable(haven't seen snow or rain yet). That my friends is about all of the good news.....

While I still am going to give it a try when I get off work, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Here is why it was rushed IMO

1-Of course we all know this version has fewer features than the PS2 and xbox versions. Create/edit player is LAME.

2-Plays too slow and player reaction doesn't seem fulfilling. In other words, you never feel like you actually have a shot at switching players and making a tackle. You basically switch players to watch the computer make the tackle because of slow movement.

3-It is missing a lot of Div 1-AA schools and about 60 Div. 1-A stadiums.

4-Can't change camera angle

5-And do you remember how you love having friends over to play on your team to beat that tough conference opponent in your dynasty? Well EA didn't remember because YOU CAN NOT PLAY CO-OP/ON THE SAME TEAM IN ANY GAME MODES. You heard it right. Maybe not a biggie for those who only play vs. friends but for me this is enough to return it.

6-Shoddy collision detection. I have with my own eyes seen tackles where the tackler was two yards away.

7-Haven't blocked any punts or kicks yet but A LOT of people are saying it's a little unbalanced.

8-Controller layout is not very intuitive. It is drastically different. I miss my PS2 NCAA/Madden controls.

I will update later tonight with more impressions but if you are on the fence now, think a little more about it. BTW, I've been playing Madden since the Genesis days and NCAA since it was first introduced so this isn't the first time I've played a football game.

Again, this is after about an hour of gameplay. I'll give it another try though.....

5-And do you remember how you love having friends over to play on your team to beat that tough conference opponent in your dynasty? Well EA didn't remember because YOU CAN NOT PLAY CO-OP/ON THE SAME TEAM IN ANY GAME MODES. You heard it right. Maybe not a biggie for those who only play vs. friends but for me this is enough to return it.

That pissed me off in Madden 06 on 360. And that is probably enough for me not to buy this one. Co-op better be available in Madden 2007

I can't believe you guys are so concerned about co-op. I'm maybe having the best time I've ever had with a football video game single player, can't wait to play my brother. And I think college ball is boring as hell. My first impression of this game was very weak. After a couple of games, though, my opinion has totally changed. Also, I believe my XBOX was overheating earlier, causing more slowdown than there should have been. Rain effects also slow it down.

The slow pace I actually enjoy, it gives you more time to make decisions. And I've got about 10 user tackles this game, and 2 user picks in 2 games, so I can't say I'm having trouble with that.

If you really enjoy co-op enough to swing the decision, then maybe it's not your cup of tea. But I'm seriously having a blast enjoying all the new physics, etc. Not trying to be a fanboy, in fact, this is only the 2nd NCAA game I've ever purchased. I don't even have a favorite college team. This is just a sweet-ass representation of football.

Just got done beating #3 ranked Notre Dame 14-13 with my Hoosiers dynasty. My hands are sweating. The Hoosiers look like freaking midgets compared to the monsters across the line.

This game definitely has flaws, but it doesn't even matter if it's college, pro, high school teams, whatever. This is a fun game. I'd recommend you at least rent it, despite some of the naysayers.

']This game definitely has flaws' date=' but it doesn't even matter if it's college, pro, high school teams, whatever. This is a fun game. I'd recommend you at least rent it, despite some of the naysayers.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm sorry for seeming to rain on the parade earlier. I just finished a full game 8min quarters. After a little more playing time the controls feel a little more responsive. Just having to learn a new way of playing football is difficult.

I believe my first impressions of it not being responsive are not because the controls are poor, but more because the game is moving at probably 30fps as opposed to the 60fps of Madden 06 on PS2. It runs smooth at 30 fps, though. Of course I have no idea what fps it is running, but that would be my guess.

Still I kinda feel the same. That darn co-op thing, I know, but it is mind-boggling why it's not in there. They even let you plug in 4 controllers at the team select screen to just tempt you with it. And the glitches seem to stand out in a more ultra-realistic visual setting. I saw one of my receivers actually disappear and reappear 3 yards away when he got hung on a DB but still made the catch. A few pop-ups by hedges at Carter-Finley as well. Not every play though. If I had to guess, I would say I saw something stupid every 15-20 plays. A lot like the very first Madden on PS2.....

Turning up both defenses awareness helped with some of the "I'll just let the ball fly 2 feet from my head and act like I didn't see it" so that was good. Also, going up to All-American difficulty made the experience better.

Don't get me wrong anyone-it IS playable and enjoyable. Just not for someone who expected obviously way too much out of this game. Here's to hoping Madden is better, if not, you'll see me in the classifieds section. I'll be the guy selling a Xbox360.

I played this game with my friend earlier today.

I beat him 40-28 in a Miami/Ohio St. game (I was Miami), and then he beat me 38-35 in a Maryland/NC State game (He was Maryland).

The game is fun, but I came home and I still like Madden 06 better. It seems like they almost went retro a little bit for NCAA.

Archived