Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

rediculous to deny Dallas is.........

misterfan

I'm sorry, but it's not being a homer if it's true. They have potential to be good, but they have an average QB who can't get anywhere with that O-line. They fell apart at the end of the year because teams figured out that they just have to blitz like crazy. Bledsoe can't handle it! They don't have a shot at winning the division, I'm sorry. They MIGHT make the playoffs, but I would be shocked.

Clint

Okay, you're on a Redskins forum. You should expect to find a lot of homers here. I guarantee the same thing goes on in the Dallas forum. Replying to your first post, who's said TO's over the hill?

This guy is doing what a lot of people do on message boards. He is taking one or two posters and projecting them over the entire board. You see it all the time. One guy says "Woohoo, We got Joe Blow now we are going to the Super Bowl!!!" All of a sudden there is a thread claiming that all Redskins fans think they are winning the Super Bowl and the board runs with it. It happens here as well.

I think most knowledgable fans realize that Dallas can win the division. But most knowledgable fans should realize that the Skins should be favored to finish ahead of Dallas. As one of the Dallas fans said earlier in this thread though it is a long season and injuries always play a major factor. Dallas was hurt last year by injuries to their offensive line while the Skins were hurt by injuries to the receiving corps, D-line and secondary.

I have been reading all these Dallas vs Wash threads for months now, and its truly amazing how many homers just shield themselves from reality.

Sure the Skins have improved and could go to the Superbowl, but to discredit Dallas and that offense by saying that Terry Glenn is not a good receiver or Terrell Owens is over the hill or whatever. Just plain naive or silly.

Terry Glenn had 7 TD's last year. Thats more than Santana Moss had. Terry Glenn had an 18 yard per reception average. Thats awesome. The guy is just plain dangerous. He is a long ball threat and is very similar to Moss.

Then you add Terrell Owens who is more than capable of catching 100 balls and 14 TD passes and you have a deadly pass attack.

Just leave the insults at home when trying to analyze Dallas. I hate the Cowboys, but I don't have blinders on. That is going to be a solid team and they are more than capable of beating the Skins in week number 2. Personally I think the Skins win the division but I am biased. Regardless, Dallas and the Skins are the 2 best teams in the NFC. One of them is probably going to the Superbowl.

Good post. Personally I think Carolina will be the team to beat, but there are definetely some very good teams in the NFC.

1 - TO is better than Santana Moss. Truth hurts.

2 - Marion Barber is better than Ladell Betts, but Portis is better than Julius.

3 -Terry Glenn is a good #2 receiver.

4 - Terrance Newman allowed how many TDs while in single coverage? 0. Zero. Cero. I dont know how to say zero in any other ways.

5 - Roy Williams is a good safety...just not as good as ST but its a good thing the NFL isnt all relative.

6 -Demarcus Ware. Enough said.

7 - Bledsoe...one of the best QBs in the game. Old, but still has a year or two.

8 - Theyve got a decent OLine, especially if they have a lot of 3or 5 step drops for Drew.

9 - Im diehard Skins but Im still realistic. I think the Skins are better but stop putting the Cowboys down everytime you see the word just because theyre the Cowboys. Im an Orioles fan and I hate the Sox and Yankees but I give credit where credit is due.

Cowboys have the best odds, in Vegas, to in the NFC other than Seattle.

Sean Taylor is my god.

Good post. Personally I think Carolina will be the team to beat, but there are definetely some very good teams in the NFC.

Dont forget Seattle, they were a beast in the Playoffs and still dont know where there defense came from, but they got dayum good and quik.

I think it would be foolish to take any team in our division lightly this year. You could make a decent case for any one of our teams winning the division.

However, I don't know why a Redskin fan would feel the need to start a thread advocating Dallas' chances specifically. That's what Dallas fans are for. :)

Find me a Cowboy fan who is actually saying that? Don't confuse media predictions with what the fans actually think. I believe that we've improved ourselves from last years 9 win team big time. How much improved remains to be seen.

Head to Google.com. In the little box at the top of the page, type "Cowboy message board." Do a quick search of posts around the time that Owens was signed. With all due respect, if you can't find a plethora of posts gushing about how Owens pretty much guarantees a Super Bowl, you are lazy.

the original poster hit the nail on the head. you have just spoken like a true homer, if you don't think the skins had holes on their team or still don't.

True, both teams have holes. The Redskins have holes in the form a depth at a few positions. Meanwhile, Dallas is full of holes of the "A" variety.

Another area overlooked is Vanderjackdt. Dallas lost three games due to missed FGs under 40 yards, including the first washington game. This guy is like 89% from that range. Yes he missed a 46 yarder against Indy but that is no chip shot.

I really believe this signing will be the one that wins Dallas an extra 2 - 3 games.

Thats a valid point. Even if he gives you one extra win if could be the difference in your season. So many games come down to a FG these days.

Actually, you're only half right smart-ass........ Glenn had 8 TD's last year (7 recieving and 1 rushing)

Well, in that case, Moss had 10 TD's. Nine (9) in the regular season and one (1) in the playoffs. But, that's unfair. Glenn wasn't in the playoffs. I'll reiterate, Glenn wasn't in the playoffs. :silly:

Bring on ol' alligator arms Terry Glenn. Sean Taylor's got a little somethin' for him. :)

Dallas's O line is going to be their biggest weakness this year. They have nobody at right tackle and our starting left DE had 4 sacks against them in ONE game last year. Plus their starting quarterback is a statue and his back up's last name rhymes with homo. Really I think we'll be Ok here.

:cheers:

Bring on ol' alligator arms Terry Glenn. Sean Taylor's got a little somethin' for him. :)

Dallas's O line is going to be their biggest weakness this year. They have nobody at right tackle and our starting left DE had 4 sacks against them in ONE game last year. Plus their starting quarterback is a statue ........

I think this is an important statement. Do the cowboys have weapons at the skill positions?-absolutely. But it all starts with protection. Just like last year when their OL had key injuries, Parcells and Peyton(who's now gone)were forced to leave Witten in on 3rd down to help the OT's on Wynn and Daniels at FedEx. Fasano will probably spend a lot of time doing the same on the other side with the addition of Carter.

Also, the backs were kept in on third down a lot to negate GW's blitzes. I think they will be forced to do the same thing if they run the ball like last year and find themselves in a lot of 3rd and longs. But if Dallas can turn around their running game and get into more 3rd and 2's or 3rd and 3's it becomes a problem for us 'Skins.

And BTW, the addition of Vanderjagt scares me more than anything TO can do for Dallas.

:laugh: Come on THEHEREAFTER it is no secret Dallas has problems in the OL

They gave up 49 sacks last season, and despite running the ball more than any team in the NFL last season, They only had two 100 yard rushing performances all year, and had only a pitiful 3.6 YPC average.

Oh but Adams returniung... Whoopee!! :jump: he is inconstant, and is coming off a season ending injury. He no longer has his long time partner in Larry Allen, who cover many of Big Flo's mistakes. And lets not forget losing Allen. True he isn't the same lineman he was 5 years ago, but he still was your best OL last season, and his replacement isn't any better.

Rivera was a turnstile last season, and no where near the same as he was in his packer glory days, with his age & back problems it's hard to imagine he suddenly has a resurgence to his former talent level.

The 2 FA you signed are serviceable players, but hardly world beaters. Fabani (?sp) does give up sacks, and I believe Art pointed out in a thread a few weeks back he ranked in the mid to lower half of tackles for sacks allowed... with Slow on the draw Bledsoe as your QB.. that's not a good stat to have. As pointed out before the Guard replacing Allen wasn't as good as Larry and isn't an upgrade.

Now the "gel" factor The Pokes are adding at least 2 new starters, and replacing a tandem that had worked together for several years... Even with a great OL coach (which Dallas doesn't have) it takes time for a OL to come together and function as a single unit, at least a season... and that's with good starters... Dallas at best has middle of the road serviceable lineman, and no depth at all, if someone goes down.

If I was a poke fan (shudder) I would be scared to death about the OL

Very nice post, Bubba -- some very good points. I haven't seen any Cowboy fans reply to it yet. I'd like to hear what they have to say.

lets just agree that both of these guys are good. who cares if one is slightly better than the other, and neither dallas fans or skins fans will ever agree. I bet you if moss was a cowboys and TO a redskins, you would change your story and so would I.

Even if TO were coming to play for the Skins, it'd be impossible to ignore the fact that he's ripped apart teams in the past. If you can't see that he has the potential to do that to the Cowboys, especially with another hotheaded personality in Parcells manning the ship, you've got homer-vision. You're right in the Moss and TO are comparable in talent, and TO is probably even more talented than Moss. But it's TO's heart/character that you should be worried about.

I doubt if you are serious about your DL depth. the starters aren't anything special talent wise, so I can't say much about the depth. the young guys you names above, had dallas ranked right behind the vaunted redskins defense last year in almost every defensive cateogry. that's with two main starters missing most of the year, three rookies starting and the defense still in transition. Hope is that the team has filled those holes and has completed its transition. at least on paper it looks really good.

carter's play has slipped significantly over the past few years for what ever reason. everyone' favorite line is he played in SF. but good players playing on bad teams still manage to play well. carter hasn't played well.

No, everybody's favorite line is that Carter was forced to play OLB, and that's a legitimate gripe. Anytime you ask someone to play a completely different position, the adjustment is going to be hard, and his numbers from last year reflect that. Don't be fooled though, Carter still has double-digit sack potential. He's still young and he's in extraordinary shape right now. The biggest flaw in Washington's defense from last year was the lack of a speed-rusher, and we addressed the problem in Carter.

Besides, the rest of the DL is very deep. True, the other starters are blue-collar guys, but they can play. Griff is extremely underrated IMO (compare our defense with him playing vs. him injured last year and you'll see his impact). Daniels... haha, well, I'm sure you're well acquainted with him after he put up a monster 4-sack game against Dallas. Big Joe is a very good run-stopper, can clog the running lanes, and also does a decent job compressing the pocket. Wynn has enough talent to start, and with his versatility, he'll be a great asset coming off the bench.

This year, DL depth really is an asset for the Skins. Like I said, the starters are mostly blue-collar guys, so you might not appreciate how fundamentally sound they are. If you had watched them all last year though, you'd realize that there's no weak spot among them. Now if you were talking about the lack of OL depth, I think you might have a valid argument. DL depth? Sorry, the argument doesn't work.

Dear Misterfan,

If you are scared, say you're scared.

Thank You

It's called fear and loathing JJ. For the first time in years I can honestly say that I fully expect us to beat Dallas, but I guess when you go from the likes of Norv Turner and Steve Spurrier to Joe Gibbs no explaination is needed.

no doubt they struggled last season, but they can rebound and be average to above....will they be as good as the Skins O-line? NO....but they will be improved. I just wonder if you guys think that Parcells and JJ (who both know what it takes to win titles) just fell asleep and woke up one day saying, crap we have no o-line? They have made some moves and they will work on ways to improve it, i just feel that no one (Skin fans mostly) wants to imagine that the Cowboys line can be better, like it is absolutly impossible for them to improve. Parcells has been doing this coaching thing for a while and i trust him when he says "we will be better on the line".......but whatever, you guys may be right and Bledsoe may get sacked another 40+ times and JJ may run for 3.5 per carry and the Boys may end up 7-9......Thats why they play the games......

You do remeber how bad the skins off-line was before last season right? 2004? The skins gave up 38 sacks and gained 3.7 yards per carry C.P had 3.8 per carry...then last season they gave up 31 sacks and had 4.2 per carry with C.P gaining 4.3 per carry. So i would say that things can change in one season for the better. The skins in 2004 did NOT have that good of O-line production and now after 2005 they are one of the best units in the NFC (behind Atl, Carolina and Seattle)......

sure i did.

Archived