Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alvin Walton/Shar Pourdanesh: 1995 Baltimore Stallions Photos?

Alvin Walton's Mohawk

After reading the "Worst Redskin Player In History" thread- in which Alvin Walton was mentioned (along with the likes of Shar Pourdanesh, for god's sake!)

I did some searching on Alvin Walton's career stats in order to refute the fact that Alvin Walton could be mentioned for such a list (he lead the team in tackles at least 3 years in a row from what I can dig up, by the way)

Much to my surprise, I learned that Alvin Walton (LB) AND Shar Pourdanesh (OT)played on the 1995 Baltimore Stallions CFL Grey Cup Championship team together! (After first losing a Grey Cup Championship in 1994) Alvin Walton actually scored a TD on a blocked punt in the 1995 Grey Cup game!

Anyway, as a big Alvin Walton fan- I am searching for a photo of him in his Baltimore Stallions #4 jersey and was wondering if anyone had anything at all.

If not- it's still amusing to think that these two ex-Redskins won a Grey Cup Championship together in Baltimore.

Thoughts?

Huge Walton fan here too. There are very few photos of him circulating anywhere anymore; even in a Redskins uni. Kinda depressing really. Google returns like one photo of him making a tackle in Dallas, and one or two others.

Hopefully someone can track down some more photos/info for you. I'd love to see 'em myself.

why is Walton even considered on that list?

He was one of the first redskins cards I ever got when i seriously started collecting...

but, baltimore was in the cfl (canadian football league)? i vaguely remember reading something about american teams in the league but don't really remember

why is Walton even considered on that list?

He was one of the first redskins cards I ever got when i seriously started collecting...

but, baltimore was in the cfl (canadian football league)? i vaguely remember reading something about american teams in the league but don't really remember

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFL_USA

In 1993, the Canadian Football League decided to add teams in the United States. This venture would last until the end of the 1995 CFL season, and was known as CFL USA.

History

When the World League of American Football (WLAF) announced in 1992 that it was suspending operations, the Canadian Football League started to consider franchise applications from American cities. Two former World League owners, Fred Anderson of the Sacramento Surge and Larry J. Benson of the San Antonio Riders, "crossed over" to the CFL and were awarded new franchises for 1993. Anderson’s team would play in Sacramento as the Gold Miners; Benson's team was scheduled to play in San Antonio as the Texans.

Before the season began, however, the Texans withdrew due to financial difficulties. The Gold Miners were forced to go it alone as the only U.S. team in the CFL for the 1993 season. Playing in the West Division, the club posted a respectable 6-12 record, winning one-third of their games in their first year in the league.

1994 saw the entrance of three additional American teams: the Baltimore CFL Colts, the Las Vegas Posse and the Shreveport Pirates. Along with Sacramento, the Posse were placed in the West Division while the Colts and Pirates played in the East Division. The most successful of the US teams was Baltimore, who had to lose the name "CFL Colts" in the middle of the year because of a dispute with the National Football League's Indianapolis Colts. The Baltimore CFL's went all the way to the Grey Cup title game, losing by only three points. Sacramento improved to 9-8-1, but did not make the playoffs. Shreveport and Las Vegas finished last in their respective divisions.

Commissioner Larry Smith's vision of someday having a 20-team league containing ten Canadian and ten US teams came closer to fruition in 1995. A South Division was created which contained all the U.S. clubs, while the North Division was created for the Canadian teams. Having endured four-digit attendances, Las Vegas folded after an unsuccessful move to Jackson, Mississippi. The Gold Miners moved to San Antonio and became the Texans. The Birmingham Barracudas and Memphis Mad Dogs were added while Shreveport and Baltimore remained from the previous season. The alignment ensured that there would be three US teams around in the post-season. Once again, Baltimore, renamed the Stallions, proved the most successful US team, winning the Grey Cup 37-20 over the Calgary Stampeders. San Antonio, led by quarterback David Archer, and Birmingham, with league-leading passer Matt Dunigan, also made the playoffs in 1995.

In the three seasons in which US cities hosted CFL teams, fan support and interest was limited. Only Baltimore produced consistently large crowds, probably because they were winning. Without a major U.S. television network contract, CFL USA teams were forced to rely on their fast paced brand of football to lure fans. However, many of those fans were unwilling to embrace the subtle nuances of the Canadian game. As the 1995 regular season drew to a close, Birmingham, Memphis and Shreveport were suffering from poor attendances and tremendous financial losses and it was becoming likely they would all either move or disband. However, few believed that Baltimore (with its strong attendance) and San Antonio (with its committed ownership) would not be around for the 1996 season.

That perception changed abruptly in November 1995 when Art Modell, owner of the NFL's Cleveland Browns announced his franchise would move to Baltimore for the 1996 NFL season. The move proved to be one of the most controversial in the history of professional sports, especially in Cleveland where Modell remains a hated figure to this day. However, the move was also unpopular with many Stallions fans in Baltimore, at least at first. Unfortunately for the Stallions however, the immediate result of Modell's announcement for them was a dramatic drop in gate receipts for the team's two home playoff games, with a record-low 21,040 attending the divisional semi-final. Although attendance at Memorial Stadium improved to 30,217 for the divisional final, Stallions owner Jim Speros knew by then that his team could not co-exist or compete with the NFL.

When it became obvious that the Grey Cup champion Stallions would not be remaining in what had been the CFL's strongest U.S. market, the franchises in Birmingham and Memphis quickly ceased operations. Shreveport owner Bernard Glieberman attempted to move his team to Norfolk, but was unsuccessful in doing so. After looking into a few U.S. cities, such as Norfolk and Houston, Speros decided to move his champions to Montreal. Fred Anderson opted against going it alone as he had done in 1993 with the Gold Miners, so he folded the Texans for good. CFL USA passed into the realm of what might have been as Canadian football retreated north of the border.

Future prospects

For the past year, the Glieberman family (owners of the now-suspended Ottawa Renegades) have mooted plans to put a franchise in Windsor. The franchise (if awarded) would play its regular-season home games in Windsor and possibly their playoff games in the Pontiac Silverdome, former home of the NFL Detroit Lions. Current CFL commissioner Tom Wright met with Windsor mayor Eddie Francis about possible expansion to Windsor during the run-up to Super Bowl XL, in which Windsor played a major role although the game itself was held in Detroit.

Since 1997, the CFL has had a working relationship with the NFL, and as of 2006 the Canadian league is not believed to be seriously considering expansion to other American cities.

I saw Alvin Walton seriously **** Randall Cunningham up once on a play where Cunningham was scrambling. He tried to get up after Walton hit him, then just crumpled to the ground. It was beautiful. Alvin Walton was slow but he was a hitter!

Only a fool would say he was one of our worst players.

How can you say Alvin Walton is the worst Redskin ever....we had HEATH SHULER. Alvin Walton has a RING. The guy played on a DOMINANT defense. He wasnt the flashy guy but the defense he played on DESTROYED the offenses they faced and they couldnt have done that with any HORRIBLE people on the team

Alvin Walton was a freaking beast... how he could come up in a list of the worst Redskins is beyond me.

He sacked Elway in SB22 for an 18 yard loss pushing the Donkeys out of field goal range when we were down 10-0. Worse ever? Idiots.

Alvin Walton was a freaking beast... how he could come up in a list of the worst Redskins is beyond me.

He sacked Elway in SB22 for an 18 yard loss pushing the Donkeys out of field goal range when we were down 10-0. Worse ever? Idiots.

Yeah, and If you look on the highlights, there is another time where Elway barely got rid of the ball and then was Crushed by Walton.

• 1 year later...

Man,...who ever put Alvin on that list needs to be slapped. He was always on the ALL MADDEN team. I am looking for a Redskins #40 throwback jersey with his name on it. I liked him because he was a safety that wore a horse collar just like a line backer. That basically meant, he would hit you like a linebacker. They don't make them like that anymore.

Anyone that thinks that Alvin Walton was one of the worst Redskins needs to take a hit from the guy. If you actually live through it you'd probably change your mind, if you didnt have permament brain damage. He would seperate your soul from your body. He was the ultimate All Madden guy.

Why'd Alvin Walton leave the NFL after only 5 years? I know that in 1991 the Skins brought in Danny Copeland who ended up taking the starting SS job, but is there a reason why Walton wasn't picked up by someone else?

He ended up going to the CFL. I'm not positive, but I think he had a pretty bad shoulder injury.

One of the things I do remember about Alvin was his ability to put the "I'm Batman" hits on people. I don't think he was the best of players, but neither was he one of the worst.

He wasnt great in coverage, that was his weak link. But god, could he play the run, or decapitate someone going over the middle. I just went and looked at his playing wieght.

180 pounds.

Holy ****, he hit people like he wieghed about 250.

I agree, anyone who listed Alvin Walton on the worst list really needs a good talking to. Alvin was a solid player, who's weaknesses were masked fairly well by the genius of Richie Petitbon.

People may not like this comparison but I do think it's accurate. Alvin Walton was our Roy Williams. Essentially an undersized linebacker playing safety who can really lay the wood on people but was a liabilty in coverage. But unlike Roy, that liability wasn't exposed too often thanks to Richie and his schemes (and some guy named Darrell Green).

I agree, anyone who listed Alvin Walton on the worst list really needs a good talking to. Alvin was a solid player, who's weaknesses were masked fairly well by the genius of Richie Petitbon.

People may not like this comparison but I do think it's accurate. Alvin Walton was our Roy Williams. Essentially an undersized linebacker playing safety who can really lay the wood on people but was a liabilty in coverage. But unlike Roy, that liability wasn't exposed too often thanks to Richie and his schemes (and some guy named Darrell Green).

That's a great explanation.

Walton was a BIG liability in coverage, but the man had a pretty good motor and could HIT!

cardboard-icons-alvin-

Agree with other posters in this thread. Anyone who thought Alvin Frickin' Walton was one of the worst Redskins ever doesn't know jack about football.

I was a fan during the Alvin Walton years and he stoned people. He hit Randall Cunningham one time so hard, the dude tried to get up but his body wouldn't let him.

HTTR!

Archived