Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

The point is that Kong/Mitrione makes sense for both fighters and that if someone like Mir (who's weakness has been his striking) can drop Kongo, then someone like Mitrione (who's a better striker) has a good chance against him.

It makes great sense and I think Meathead can win that fight.

That card last night was real good, which is usual for the "under the radar" cards. Rick Story's wrestling was obviously not on, that fight was a big momentum killer for a fast-rising contender. Little depressing, but hey, Brenneman looks pretty promising now. Hope Story gets back on track, he looked amazing against Alves.

Mitrione is one of my favorite heavyweights, love that he came from the NFL and turned in to a really good MMA striker. He beat a beastly mofo last night. Give him Kongo, Struve or maybe even Nelson next.

Kongo vs. Barry...you just knew that fight was going to be fireworks, but DAMN, it literally IS the best comeback I've seen next to Silva/Sonnen. Better than Smith/Sell or Smith/Le...Better than Leben/Martin and the Russow doomfist. You want to show people a match who've never seen MMA fight? There you go. Barry was kicking his ass up and down the sidewalk, we were literally waiting for the end of the fight any moment. And it came! But the opposite of what we expected! Ridiculously exciting, if Barry even gets put on the undercard for his next fight I'll be pissed, he lost but gave one hell of a show.

Can't wait 'til Wandy vs. Leben this weekend, I might actually have to drink some liquor before that one. I'm a huge fan of Wandy (I know most of you are too as well), and I hate seeing him get flatlined. Even when Hendo did it I was a little sad, and Hendo is pretty much my favorite fighter. I mean, duh, Wandy could definitely beat Leben but Chris has cobblestones in his gloves.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Can't wait 'til Wandy vs. Leben this weekend, I might actually have to drink some liquor before that one. I'm a huge fan of Wandy (I know most of you are too as well), and I hate seeing him get flatlined. Even when Hendo did it I was a little sad, and Hendo is pretty much my favorite fighter. I mean, duh, Wandy could definitely beat Leben but Chris has cobblestones in his gloves.

I figure Wandy's faster and Leebs is dangerous when hurt. This one's gonna be wild. :)

So me and my buddy are on a baseball road trip, and are gonna be away from our usual bar to watch 132. Anybody got a good bar in the District to watch it. We'll be staying in Fairfax, but driving won't be an issue.

I usually watch at Icons in Fairfax or Baileys in Arlington.

The only way someone tops Anderson's comeback is if they fight 5 rounds from their back and the guy on top actually causes some serious damage, something Chael was unable to do in 20minutes plus of top position.

You think the fact that Silva suffered little damage during that 20 minutes, was a credit to Silva's endurance, or dis-credit to Sonnen's striking ability ?

Speaking of Sonnen - tomorrow is his big day, isn't it ?

He goes before the commission again , and may have his suspension lifted tomorrow !

So me and my buddy are on a baseball road trip, and are gonna be away from our usual bar to watch 132. Anybody got a good bar in the District to watch it. We'll be staying in Fairfax, but driving won't be an issue.

well if you're gonna in be in fairfax anyways you can go to buffalo wing university, right by 123 and gmu

Both of the previous suggestions are good ones. Buffalo Billiards in dupont and hard times in fairfax are both good. Bailey's in Arlington is huge and packed for UFC fights as well.

You think the fact that Silva suffered little damage during that 20 minutes, was a credit to Silva's endurance, or dis-credit to Sonnen's striking ability ?

Speaking of Sonnen - tomorrow is his big day, isn't it ?

He goes before the commission again , and may have his suspension lifted tomorrow !

neither, I think it was Anderson's defense that saved him. Sonnen's striking is not that great, but Anderson defense in that fight was amazing. Sonnen got so frustrated not being able to land anything cleanly he resorted to slapping him in the face. I encourage everyone to go back and watch that fight again and pay attention to how well Anderson controlled Chael's arms, he stopped a very high percentage of potential strikes, and add to the fact that he had a bad rib injury, it makes the comeback and the way he won that fight even more amazing.

I have a feeling a lot of people's perception of Anderson will change after ESPN releases their Documentary on him "Like Water", which show him training for the Sonnen fight.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/28/2248945/ufc-on-versus-4-ratings-worse-than-spike-tv-broadcast-of-marquardt-vs#storyjump

In the war to settle no score, the winner is ... Spike TV -- barely.

Currently embroiled in negotiations with UFC and at times acting as though the relationship is over, Spike TV counter programmed the UFC on Versus 4 event that aired this past Sunday night (June 26) at 9 p.m. ET.

A rebroadcast of UFC Fight Night 22 drew an average audience of 793,000 viewers while the "Kongo vs. Barry" event garnered 744,000 views for its live broadcast on the Versus channel, according to Sherdog.

Of course, UFC on Versus 4 was one of the most ravaged fight cards in recent memory, with injuries and various other circumstances clouding the show.

The most notable of which being Nate Marquardt and his testosterone replacement therapy preventing him from competing, the announcement of which came just one day before the event was set to air.

Nonetheless, Spike TV wins the battle with a broadcast that showcased "The Great's" victory over Rousimar Palhares back in Sept. 2010.

damn I knew I missed something on that card. the UFC has got to quit with this Facebook crap, not everybody who likes the UFC wants to give up a ton of personal information just to watch a fight.

Agreed. Pretty annoying. **** facebook.

Agreed. Pretty annoying. **** facebook.

They can't show everything on TV though. They usually do a pretty good job at squeezing good prelim fights into the space that they have depending on how long the other fights last. I honestly have not watched this last event because I was traveling, but maybe they did not have 20 minutes to show the Lentz-Oliveira fight? I know they show a lot of commercials, but that is how they pay for having free fights.

I have only watched the Facebook prelims once (and it was shockingly good quality, IMO), but I like the fact that they are trying to get free fights out to as many people as possible. At least we have access to every fight on a card. Until recently, wehad to hope that they would show certain fights from the undercard. Now, every one of them is out there if we want to see them.

They can't show everything on TV though. They usually do a pretty good job at squeezing good prelim fights into the space that they have depending on how long the other fights last. I honestly have not watched this last event because I was traveling, but maybe they did not have 20 minutes to show the Lentz-Oliveira fight? I know they show a lot of commercials, but that is how they pay for having free fights.

I have only watched the Facebook prelims once (and it was shockingly good quality, IMO), but I like the fact that they are trying to get free fights out to as many people as possible. At least we have access to every fight on a card. Until recently, wehad to hope that they would show certain fights from the undercard. Now, every one of them is out there if we want to see them.

I generally agree with you, Toast- but only because I have a FB account. :)

If the UFC were really trying to give it's fan base a gift, they would have those prelims on UFC.com for free.

Nothing in this world is "free" my friends....at some point the UFC has to pay a price for these fights they off set this by having the prelims on Facebook (which is advertising for facebook and Im sure they had to pay the UFC for the rights) and even on your "free" Versus, and Spike cards they still show commercials which companies have to buy ad space for, and those channels give the UFC money for the rights to show the fights, so again nothing is free....the UFC would lose money on a card like the last one if they streemed prelim fights on UFC.com because its a limited opportunity for add space.

Stop complaining and sign up for facebook, use a dummy account (a trash email address, and not your real info) or set up your own account but completely privatize it so no one accept the admin and you have access to it, and then enjoy the fights.

I for one love the facebook streams, they are decent quality, and it is MMA you can not complain about getting to wach a live fight....well I knwo some people complain aabout getting a hundred dollar bill. They are trying to make there product as accesible as possible but they are still going to make there money, No other major sport streams games for free online (unless you find it illegally) the NFL,NBA,MLB,and NHL all charge an ass load of money to stream games online...even ESPN3.com has restrictions, and only 7 races of the Nascar season can you watch relatively "free" online (only the TNT summer series with the "racebuddy" feature) So if non of those guys are doing it then why would you expect the UFC which I consider major but is miniscule compared to those sports to do it?

I generally agree with you, Toast- but only because I have a FB account. :)

If the UFC were really trying to give it's fan base a gift, they would have those prelims on UFC.com for free.

I know it is not absolutely ideal, but you have to at least give them credit for making them available in some medium. A year and a half ago, a lot of these fights were unavailable unless you were in the arena. Now, you can set up a dummy Facebook account and watch free fights. I know they have also streamed them on Youtube as well recently, so there have been other options that did not entail giving up personal information. I just think it is a step in the right direction and a lot more access than we have had in the past. Ever watched a Strikeforce event prior to the merger and wanted to see one of the prelim fights? It was not going to happen. Not online or during the regular broadcast. Unless you count the Joe Riggs-Jay Hieron online debacle a few years ago. I think the UFC at least deserves some credit for making every fight available.

And in regard to Facebook, it probably is the best vehicle to get the fights out there to fans. Even better than the UFC website. A significant amount of the fanbase has a Facebook account and a lot of the people that have an account essentially live on the site, especially the 18-25ers. It requires virtually no effort because they are likely already screwing around on Facebook. I am pretty sure that they get better viewership on Facebook than they would on UFC.com because they don't have to do anything. They are already on FB and don't have to jump over to another site. I am probably making some of our population sound lazy, but that is the way it is. And I am not kidding myself, I realize that a main reason that they are driving people to "Like" them on Facebook is for marketing purposes. But it seems like they get a lot of hate for putting the fights up there (not directed at you Sebowski) and I don't get it. They are providing free fights to over 150 million people in the U.S. with Facebook account and over 700 million people worldwide.

I just look at it as at least we have access to a large number of fights that we did not have before. It is not perfect, but it is certainly a lot better than it was before. You are not going to see the NFL or MLB streaming games for free on Facebook. The UFC is trying to get content out to more people and make it convenient to them. I realize that they get a benefit too, but that is how it works for the most part.

Nothing in this world is "free" my friends....at some point the UFC has to pay a price for these fights they off set this by having the prelims on Facebook (which is advertising for facebook and Im sure they had to pay the UFC for the rights) and even on your "free" Versus, and Spike cards they still show commercials which companies have to buy ad space for, and those channels give the UFC money for the rights to show the fights, so again nothing is free....the UFC would lose money on a card like the last one if they streemed prelim fights on UFC.com because its a limited opportunity for add space.

Stop complaining and sign up for facebook, use a dummy account (a trash email address, and not your real info) or set up your own account but completely privatize it so no one accept the admin and you have access to it, and then enjoy the fights.

This.

My only complaint is that they could've replaced the John Howard/Matt Brown fight with the Lauzon or Oliveira fights on Versus. Those were both exciting fights that should've been televised.

Otherwise I have no problem with the Facebook streams. I have a FB account that I use anyway and even if I didn't and was paranoid about using social networking sites, I'd just make a dummy account like you mentioned.

I for one love the facebook streams, they are decent quality, and it is MMA you can not complain about getting to wach a live fight....well I knwo some people complain aabout getting a hundred dollar bill. They are trying to make there product as accesible as possible but they are still going to make there money, No other major sport streams games for free online (unless you find it illegally) the NFL,NBA,MLB,and NHL all charge an ass load of money to stream games online...even ESPN3.com has restrictions, and only 7 races of the Nascar season can you watch relatively "free" online (only the TNT summer series with the "racebuddy" feature) So if non of those guys are doing it then why would you expect the UFC which I consider major but is miniscule compared to those sports to do it?

Facebook is worth a lot of money because they have a database of marketing information on all of their users that the users provide for free that they then sell, in various forms, to other companies. I do not fear facebook or are paranoid of them, I just value the information that they make money off almost as much as they do. If Facebook wants to offer me 50% of all revenues associated with the distribution of my personal information, then I will sign up in a heartbeat. I am starting to get scarred of how vigilantly people will defend Facebook, like someone was talking crap about their mom.

And streaming could be the worst possible way to delivery media, at least here in North America. Americans complain about ISP rates as they are high in the US compared to the rest of the World, but you know who pays higher rates than US internet users? Me and my fellow Canadians. To watch 1 hour of HD streaming on my computer would cost me at least $25, and much more if I was already over my limit, so even the suggestion of streaming over UFC.com would not help me out. Netflix had to downgrade it's HD movies and shows that it started streaming via Netflix Canada because people where complaining that they where going over their data limits by streaming 1 movie a week. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/netflix-tweaks-canadian-service-to-lower-data-usage/article1961342/

I am starting to get scarred of how vigilantly people will defend Facebook, like someone was talking crap about their mom.

I am not defending Facebook, I am more defending the UFC. A lot of people bash them when they put fights on Facebook. I know that they benefit from it, but it is a way to get a lot more fights for free to those that have Facebook. I am fine with being critical of Facebook, I just don't get complaining about the UFC making a lot more fights available to a lot more people. All I am saying is that a year or year and a half ago, we would not even have this option so I think things are moving in the right direction. At least they are thinking about ways to being more "free" fights to fans.

And as for the streaming, I don't even know what to say about that. That is crazy. What way do you suggest to get fights out there then? Streaming is the easiest way to get fights out there without having a dedicated TV channel, and the UFC does not really have the resources for that just yet.

I am not defending Facebook, I am more defending the UFC. A lot of people bash them when they put fights on Facebook. I know that they benefit from it, but it is a way to get a lot more fights for free to those that have Facebook. I am fine with being critical of Facebook, I just don't get complaining about the UFC making a lot more fights available to a lot more people. All I am saying is that a year or year and a half ago, we would not even have this option so I think things are moving in the right direction. At least they are thinking about ways to being more "free" fights to fans.

And as for the streaming, I don't even know what to say about that. That is crazy. What way do you suggest to get fights out there then? Streaming is the easiest way to get fights out there without having a dedicated TV channel, and the UFC does not really have the resources for that just yet.

I'm certainly not arguing with you, you Facebook nuthugger, but- ;)

This saturday night there will be 4 fights on FB, 2 on Spike, and the rest on PPV. That's about as silly as it gets.

Don't get me wrong. It's great that the fights are out there. I agree with all that. But still, **** facebook.

Aren't they also doing the facebook streams on youtube now too? Haven't had a chance to check. I know they did for at least one card recently.

Also, I had a friend log in for me a few months ago to watch the facebook streams and the quality sucked. Not sure if they've improved or if it was crappy work connection.

I'm certainly not arguing with you, you Facebook nuthugger, but- ;)

You know...Zuckerberg and I are tight. Or maybe I am Zuckerberg...:paranoid:

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 01:57 PM ----------

Aren't they also doing the facebook streams on youtube now too? Haven't had a chance to check. I know they did for at least one card recently.

I think they have done that a few times, for 127 and 131. I have not watched on there, but I heard that the video quality was similar to Facebook. Like I said earlier, I have only watched the prelims on my home PC once (through FB) and I was actually surprised at the quality. It was a little sketchy at the outset, but it was great after a few minutes.

Edited by lovetoaster