Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Serra Injured, out of UFC 79

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8808

welterweight division continues to be held hostage:doh:

Damnit! That's what happens when you train for 7 straight months without taking a break after a fight or something. All Serra's been doing is training and training others on TUF. He probably over-trained, point blank.

This really blows because the card for UFC 79 was looking real good. Let's see: The Lightweight belt is being held hostage - they have to do an interm title fight. This belt is being held hostage, Anderson Silva just defended his title, Randy is holding the belt hostage, and Rampage is nursing an injury until spring. We're gonna have to settle for non-title fights for a while. This blows.

Why did they let a TV show effect a championship bout? I remember being pissed that Serra wouldn't be able to fight till December, now it's going to be even longer. Are they going to let him keep that belt for a year without defending it? I don't like either of them but damn this match should have been happened.

GSP vs. Matt Hughes @ UFC 79 for Interim Title

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8811

Thomas Gerbasi, UFC - In the UFC, when one door closes, another opens, and on December 29th, that adage will ring true once against when Matt Hughes battles Georges St-Pierre for the interim UFC Welterweight Championship in the main event of UFC 79: Nemesis, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

St-Pierre replaces UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Serra, who was forced to withdraw from his bout with Hughes last week due to a herniated disc in his back.

it'll be interesting to see if GSP has sufficient time to prepare for this fight.

GSP by TKO round 2!

GSP vs. Matt Hughes @ UFC 79 for Interim Title

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8811

it'll be interesting to see if GSP has sufficient time to prepare for this fight.

GSP by TKO round 2!

Hell yeah this is better than Hughes vs. Serra IMO

This IS better than Hughes vs. Serra. And at least these interim titles are being dished out. I feel left wanting a little more if there isn't a belt at a UFC event.

I don't think GSP will be unprepared for this fight. He's always in shape, an athletic specimen. There wasn't really anybody he's on the same schedule with as far as timing. I mean who would they have put him up against? Everyone else in welterweight worth noting takes 7 months to fight or hurts their **** because they're old men. This just made the card buyable again.

This IS better than Hughes vs. Serra. And at least these interim titles are being dished out. I feel left wanting a little more if there isn't a belt at a UFC event.

I don't think GSP will be unprepared for this fight. He's always in shape, an athletic specimen. There wasn't really anybody he's on the same schedule with as far as timing. I mean who would they have put him up against? Everyone else in welterweight worth noting takes 7 months to fight or hurts their **** because they're old men. This just made the card buyable again.

I was gonna buy the card anyway, but yeah this reaffirms that

This IS better than Hughes vs. Serra.

While I agree with you, I can't help but feel cheated with all of the **** Serra has been talking. Almost makes me want to see that fight more. The GSP-Hughes rematch was inevitable. If Hughes loses, odds are that he'll never fight Serra, as he will probably be retiring in the near future.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5157&zoneid=2

Organizers for the Yarennoka! event in Japan have announced the first pairings for the Dec. 31 event at Saitama Super Arena.

With Fight Entertainment Group’s Sadaharu Tanigawa, DEEP president Shigeru Saeki M-1 Global CEO Monte Cox, and former Pride executive Nobuhiko Takada in attendance, it was revealed that Gesias “JZ” Calvancante would face Shinya Aoki at the event. Also announced was a bout between Hidehiko Hasegawa and Hayato “Mach” Sakurai.

Calvancante is the two-time winner of K-1 Hero’s 154-pound Grand Prix Tournament. He is currently ranked as the No. 6 lightweight in the world by MMAWeekly.com. Holding a 14-1-1 professional record, Calvancante has not lost in more than three years.

Currently the No. 5 ranked lightweight in the world, Aoki is on an eight-fight winning streak, but hasn’t fought since Pride’s farewell event in April of this year.

Aoki vs. JZ will be a great fight :applause:

TUF last night was nuts. Tommy is a freak of nature! How the hell did he get out of the arm bar and the triangle. This kid will be fearsome when he learns some technique. Good fight, I hope he whoops Georges punk ass as well.

Don't know, I'm just pulling for Hughes' guys because of Serra's incesant chit talking. I think Hughes has handled himself with class through the entire season and Serra has been a douchebag. I so wanted to see him get his ass beat.

TUF last night was nuts. Tommy is a freak of nature! How the hell did he get out of the arm bar and the triangle. This kid will be fearsome when he learns some technique. Good fight, I hope he whoops Georges punk ass as well.

Don't know, I'm just pulling for Hughes' guys because of Serra's incesant chit talking. I think Hughes has handled himself with class through the entire season and Serra has been a douchebag. I so wanted to see him get his ass beat.

They're both ********s, and I actually think Hughes is more of a ********, but either way I think Hughes would've won.

And this will be a better fight anyway, Hughes vs. GSP is always an excellent fight

TUF was good last night. I've actually grown to like Mac Danzig. He takes no **** and is quietly intense. The prank Serra's team played on the Hughes squad with the upper decker started a nice scuffle. Good show last night, pretty good fight. Tommy is pretty crazy with his ground & pound. He landed one shot that rang out through the room. I don't know about his standup or being on the bottom though. Look at his face. He got messed up in his last fight (didn't see it). I can't wait to see Mac fight, isn't he 155?

i cringed up a little bit during that armbar, i thought it was goin to snap at one point. that kid is freaky strong

pure, brute strength is an underrated submission defense. Think of Rampage who isn't really trained in bjj, but rarely if ever gets subbed because he can simply power out of so many submissions.

I met GSP last week. totally forgot to post in this thread. I bumped into him at the montreal Canadiens game. i wasn't sure it was him at first so i followed him like a little school girl until i was sure. Then i walked up to him and said "mr. st. pierre. you're the best. your gonna take your title back and whoop either matts ass and get your title back." then i shook his hand. he was like "uhh, thank you." lol it was hilarious, you could tell he was caught off guard, i kind of attacked him.

WAR GSP. He will win by TKO

I met GSP last week. totally forgot to post in this thread. I bumped into him at the montreal Canadiens game. i wasn't sure it was him at first so i followed him like a little school girl until i was sure. Then i walked up to him and said "mr. st. pierre. you're the best. your gonna take your title back and whoop either matts ass and get your title back." then i shook his hand. he was like "uhh, thank you." lol it was hilarious, you could tell he was caught off guard, i kind of attacked him.

WAR GSP. He will win by TKO

Cool story! Stop bragging like you rushed the Rush! He was probably thinking *is this guy a Matt Serra fan about to hit me*? Cool stuff though, you should have asked him if the tattoo on his calf was because he's a Saints fan (I've always wanted to ask him that :laugh: )

T

Hughes is a ********. There's a reason his guys lost most of their first round fights and they had to split the winners up to make it even.

Cool story! Stop bragging like you rushed the Rush! He was probably thinking *is this guy a Matt Serra fan about to hit me*? Cool stuff though, you should have asked him if the tattoo on his calf was because he's a Saints fan (I've always wanted to ask him that :laugh: )

lol no he was just caught off guard, he had just come out of the washroom.

I gotta say tho, I could have done without him walking with a limp like a thug, and the baggy clothes.

As for the tattoo, I'm not sure if your being serious, but the fleur de lys is on the quebec flag. thats where it's derived from. (unless he really does sit on his couch on sundays and cheer on reggie and drew! :laugh: