Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Soku vs Machida? Way to blow your load Dana. Kiss the belt goodbye, Quinton.
Soko reminds me of Rampage......but he's no Rampage!

Rampage should move up in weight class and take the HW belt.

I was about to say. I didn't really understand herrmag's post. Rampage power-bombed Arona in to oblivion back when Rampage was essentially a technical brawler. This Soko guy is 4-1 people!!! Calm down! He may be the second coming of B.J. Penn but B.J. didn't have to go through a mess of talent the way this kid does.

He is one calmly-arrogant S.O.B. He has straight anger problems, but the kid is a baller. He messed that guy's face up real bad last night, and still won by RNC. You see the guns on him? I don't think anybody is that jacked in welterweight. We did see John get in a few straight shots in on Mac last night, so you can hit the guy. I just think he has a really good all-around game. Looks like Hughes has a ringer.

Danzig isn't that big of a welterweight actually, he spent the majority of his career fighting between 155 and 165.

i don't see him being a contender at 170 in the ufc, and i expect him to drop back to 155 whether he wins or loses the Ultimate Fighter.

yahoo will be streaming tonights Strikeforce even for free at 11pm(est)

the main fights are:

Cung Le vs. Sam Morgan (Cung Le is a must see fighter because of his striking, kinda gives you an idea of what Bruce Lee would look like in a MMA fight :laugh: )

Paul Buentello vs. Allistar Overeem

Alistair Overeem needs a win to save his career.

I was about to say. I didn't really understand herrmag's post.

It's very simple. He beat 2 of the best LHW's in impressive fashion, back-to-back. He's an olympic athlete, and he's only 23. In addition, Rampage is not used to fighting anyone stronger than him. I can't wait for the fight. I figure 2 impressive wins (Machida and maybe Liddell?), and he gets his shot. I don't think Dana's going to **** around and make him play the waiting game. He's too exciting.

It's very simple. He beat 2 of the best LHW's in impressive fashion, back-to-back. He's an olympic athlete, and he's only 23. In addition, Rampage is not used to fighting anyone stronger than him. I can't wait for the fight. I figure 2 impressive wins (Machida and maybe Liddell?), and he gets his shot. I don't think Dana's going to **** around and make him play the waiting game. He's too exciting.

Would that be if Liddell wins or loses to Wanderlei?

i think the fact that he is 23 will allow dana to bring him along at a slower pace. He's a virtual unknown to the casual fan who dana promotes his toward. He still needs more time in the cage with anybody just to build up his experience. LHW is the deepest division they have, so they don't necessarily have to rush him to title shot. they can let him KO a few guys first and get his name out there. he has literally at least a decade of his prime left, some of the others in the division aren't that fortunate.

Would that be if Liddell wins or loses to Wanderlei?

I don't think it really matters. If Liddell loses to Wandy, then it will be his last shot in a vastly talented division. Should he beat Silva, then it will be another rung in the latter back to the top.

i think the fact that he is 23 will allow dana to bring him along at a slower pace. He's a virtual unknown to the casual fan who dana promotes his toward. He still needs more time in the cage with anybody just to build up his experience. LHW is the deepest division they have, so they don't necessarily have to rush him to title shot. they can let him KO a few guys first and get his name out there. he has literally at least a decade of his prime left, some of the others in the division aren't that fortunate.

While I normally would agree with your assessment, he's giving him Machida right off the bat. That's nuts IMO. If he beats Machida, what's to say he doesn't deserve to move into the top 5?

I don't think it really matters. If Liddell loses to Wandy, then it will be his last shot in a vastly talented division. Should he beat Silva, then it will be another rung in the latter back to the top.

Nah, I just meant do you think he'd get a title shot with a win over Machida and a win over the winner or the loser of Chuck/Wandy?

Like if he beat the loser I don't think he'd get a title shot, if he beat the winner and someone else (depending on scenarios, maybe Houston Alexander/Keith Jardine/Forrest Griffin) then he'd be more likely get a title shot.

While I normally would agree with your assessment, he's giving him Machida right off the bat. That's nuts IMO. If he beats Machida, what's to say he doesn't deserve to move into the top 5?

our rankings and Dana's are completely different :laugh: . According to Dana, the winner of Evans/Bisping is a top 5 LHW:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm saying that a win over Machida would definitely put Soku top 5 in my book, but that still doesn't guarantee him a title shot in the near future because of the other guys in the division who may be more marketable

I would like to see the winner of Soku/Machida face the winner of Houston Alexander/Thiago Silva personally.:2cents:

Nah, I just meant do you think he'd get a title shot with a win over Machida and a win over the winner or the loser of Chuck/Wandy?

Like if he beat the loser I don't think he'd get a title shot, if he beat the winner and someone else (depending on scenarios, maybe Houston Alexander/Keith Jardine/Forrest Griffin) then he'd be more likely get a title shot.

Beating Lidell/Wandy will put his name on the map and, should he do it as impressively as he beat Arona and Lil' Nog, people will be buzzing.

our rankings and Dana's are completely different :laugh: . According to Dana, the winner of Evans/Bisping is a top 5 LHW:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm saying that a win over Machida would definitely put Soku top 5 in my book, but that still doesn't guarantee him a title shot in the near future because of the other guys in the division who may be more marketable

I would like to see the winner of Soku/Machida face the winner of Houston Alexander/Thiago Silva personally.:2cents:

I like that fight as well, but I think the winner of that fight may very well get the next shot at Rampage. They're not going to feed Griffin to Quinton yet, and Alexander already KTFO of Jardine, so I don't see how he could leapfrog Alexander or, should he lose, Thiago.

Again, I'm basing my prediction mostly off the fact that I think Soku will take the UFC by storm and destroy everyone he faces. However, I need to temper that enthusiasm for 2 reasons:

1. We've seen way too many top PRIDE fighters come in and look average

2. Machida is vastly underrated IMO, and may cause problems for Soku

Regardless, I just want the fight with Rampage. I'm curious to see what he can do against a judo bad-ass like Soku.

On a different note, does anyone have a link to the fights tonight? I know yahoo's going to have it, but I can't find a link to it as of yet.

Beating Lidell/Wandy will put his name on the map and, should he do it as impressively as he beat Arona and Lil' Nog, people will be buzzing.

Chuck and Wandy are in a drought, as sad as it is, Chuck and Wandy aren't the big tests they used to be. Beating universal names quickly will get people buzzing, but to how much merit? It's just another fight that he will force to be ended quickly by diving in head-first. Have to admire his style, he goes out and wants to bang right away...but when fighters start to catch on, some of his fights might end up like his fight with Texiera. You think Arona and Nog thought this kid had the balls to attack them like that? No, he totally **** on their gameplan.

I like that fight as well, but I think the winner of that fight may very well get the next shot at Rampage. They're not going to feed Griffin to Quinton yet, and Alexander already KTFO of Jardine, so I don't see how he could leapfrog Alexander or, should he lose, Thiago.

Again, I'm basing my prediction mostly off the fact that I think Soku will take the UFC by storm and destroy everyone he faces. However, I need to temper that enthusiasm for 2 reasons:

1. We've seen way too many top PRIDE fighters come in and look average

2. Machida is vastly underrated IMO, and may cause problems for Soku

Regardless, I just want the fight with Rampage. I'm curious to see what he can do against a judo bad-ass like Soku.

On a different note, does anyone have a link to the fights tonight? I know yahoo's going to have it, but I can't find a link to it as of yet.

I'm not that sure about Machida. He's beaten David Heath and another cake-walk guy, both by decision. He can throw, and is accurate, but he has to hope to survive the early storm by Soko. There's no KO power by Machida, and striking is his bread and butter. Soko should beat him.

As far as Rampage, he isn't fighting until Spring, so I hear. So there could still be a proverbial 4-fighter tournament who's winner will get to fight Rampage. It probably will be the winner of Thiago/Houston, but Rampage's injury might add another fight to the mix. If so, who would the winner of Thiago/Houston have to fight? So many new faces, it's hard to decide who gets the shot. And waiting around will only make things more jumbled in the division.

my predictions for 78:

Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping: bisping should not win this fight. anything can happen in mma, but rashad is clearly the better fighter of the two. bisping had problems in match against eric schafer and elvis sinosic and was given a gift in his victory over Hammill. Hammill is a terrible striker and yet he still hit bisping with clean shots. Rashad will have success standing and unlike hammill, rashad will actually use his wrestling to take bisping down, especially since bisping's takedown defense is weak.

Rashad Evans by ref stoppage due to strikes in the 2nd round

Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva: this fight will either go one of two ways, Houston by early KO or Silva by submission. Silva's gas tank wasn't that good in his last fight, but we've never seen houston go past 2min in a fight lol.

Houston by KO 1st round

Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan: it'll be interesting to see how Chonan handles himself at WW. this will not be an easy fight by any means for either one. Karo doesn't finish his opponents so this is definitely goin to decision.

Karo by Split Decision

Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar: Fisher had the advantage striking, but Edgar is a great wrestler. I think edgar will be smart enough to get this fight to the ground, and control fisher on the ground for a decision. This fight should be fight of the night.

Frankie Edgar by Unanimous Decison

Ed Herman vs. Joe Doerksen: pretty even match up, but even though Herman is a good grappler, he has trouble against guys with good submissions.

Doerksen by Submission 2nd round

my predictions for 78:

Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar: Fisher had the advantage striking, but Edgar is a great wrestler. I think edgar will be smart enough to get this fight to the ground, and control fisher on the ground for a decision. This fight should be fight of the night.

Frankie Edgar by Unanimous Decison

Doerksen by Submission 2nd round

Agree with every fight except this one. Fisher fights well off of his back, and I don't see him getting sub'd. I call Fisher by unanimous decision. 1st round goes to Doerksen while he's fresh, last 2 go to Fisher.

Agree with every fight except this one. Fisher fights well off of his back, and I don't see him getting sub'd. I call Fisher by unanimous decision. 1st round goes to Doerksen while he's fresh, last 2 go to Fisher.

i don't see fisher getting sub's either, i just think edgar's wrestling is good enough to control fisher enough so he can land some shots and win the rounds.

i don't see fisher getting sub's either, i just think edgar's wrestling is good enough to control fisher enough so he can land some shots and win the rounds.

Yeah, not sure why I put Doerksen. But I still like Fisher in this fight. He's gritty as hell, and has a lot more fights. Then again, Fisher is getting old, so I might be wrong.

While looking at the fight card something struck me as worth mentioning. What the hell kind of fight name is "The Barn Cat"?

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.fightCard&eid=958

That's Tamdan (also a strange name) McCrory's name listed on the site. First time I've run into a fight gonig by "The Barn Cat"! (all the way at the bottom right of the page.)