Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

UFC Fight Night 15: Remembering Evan Tanner, picks:

Pretty good Spike card, hope to see some of the undercard fights. They look like good matchups.

Houston Alexander vs. Eric Schafer: This is about as good a matchup as Houston can get, but that's not saying much. The thing that is bothersome about Houston is his fighting stance. He keeps his arms out, flexed, and his hands are chest-high. He looks like he's posing for FLEX Magazine when he fights, instead of focusing on the professional ass-kicker standing opposite if him. He also comes out with his chin sticking out; like a dog hanging his head out a moving car's window. Houston should go in to bodybuilding if he'd rather stack on muscle than work on his game. He'd be much better off developing his style, mindset and technique rather than doing failure-reps on the bench. That said, if he doesn't get taken down this fight, he has a chance to KO Schafer. But don't be surprised if Schafer, the grappler, embarasses Houston with a chin-shot. The embarassment against Irvin HAS to be a huge wake-up call for Houston, but Schafer will frustrate Houston by avoiding his aggression and will find a way to get this to the ground; where he will attack Houston's weak ground game. Armbar, round 1.

Ed Herman vs. Alan Belcher: This should be a good fight - and hard to call. Herman has the aggression to keep a step ahead of Belcher, but he has to be aware of Belcher's muay thai. It isn't spectacular, but it's there. Herman better do something in the clinch before Belcher's knees start flying. I'm still not sold on Herman, whos ego can make him go in there too gung-ho. Belcher is still developing his jiu jitsu, so here's to hoping this fight ends up with Herman in Belcher's guard. Herman is essentially a bruiser on the ground, and we'll get to see how sharp Belcher's jiu jitsu has become. Bottom line, Herman should look to end this fight on the ground at the end of the first round, or beginning of the second. Herman TKO G&P, round 2.

Clay Guida vs. Mac Danzig: Hell yeah, my boy is fighting. Clay Guida is by far my favorite lightweight, and perhaps my favorite fighter. To quote Val Kilmer (Doc Holliday) from Tombstone:

tombstone0325pu.jpg

"He reminds me of...me!"

Clay probably has the best resume' of back-and-forth wars in the UFC. He keeps coming like a runaway train. He has developed a brilliant technique, where he keeps having to brush back his hair. What a hell of a way to remind yourself to keep your hands up. Clay was a half a round away from beating Roger "El Overrated" Heurta, and that would have skyrocketed him to the top of the division. But now he has to give Mac Danzig a chance. The thing that kills me about this fight, is that I loved Mac on TUF. Many people disliked him, but I loved his focus and his matter-of-fact confidence that he was going to win the show. He wasn't there to BS, he was there to woop an ass and get a contract. Love it. If BJ Penn is Whole milk, then Mac is 2% milk, but they're both milky - explination: BJ is the best methodical fighter, perhaps ever. He takes his time to throw precision strikes, as well as being patient on the ground to gradually gain a dominant position. Mac is definetly not BJ calibre, but he goes about his fighting the same way. To sum it up, Clay is a Pimp, TKO Round 2.

Nate "Guillatine Bong" Diaz vs. Josh Neer: Nate might be on his way to a promising future, but he pulled his last win out of his arse. Yeah, the triangle was freaking sweet, especially for a 22/23 year old in the freakin UFC, but let's not forget he was getting spanked before it happend. A few more fights like that and he'll have facial skin made of tissue paper. The kid will be good, but tonight I think Neer takes the main event. Diaz has great subs for a brown belt (granted it IS a Cesar Gracie brown belt), and he uses his wirey limbs very, very well. If Neer can get it to the ground and stay away from Diaz's counters with his squid-like arms, he should be able to sustain an attack until the TKO. Experience might actually be the key here. We always hear about experience, but tonight it looks like it should play a large factor. Okay, so Nick Diaz beat Josh Neer two years ago, but let's not forget Neer is a young, developing fighter, too. I doubt his gameplan will be anything like his fight with Nick. Neer, G&P TKO, Round 2.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

my quick picks for tonights event:

Schafer by Submission (i like houston, but i see him being embarrassed on the ground)

Herman by Unanimous Decision (Belcher is night & day, you never know what you're going to get from him)

Guida by Unanimous Decision

Diaz by late Submission after getting his ass kicked for the better part of 2 rounds

a rematch with Shogun makes so much more sense than a 3rd fight with Wandy.

the only way Rampage/Wandy 3 needs to happen is if Page was still champ and Wandy was the #1 contender

Yep a rematch with Shogun makes a lot more sense. Both lost their last matches to Forrest, plus it brings up a good opportunity for both: Rampage would have an opportunity to avenge his loss and Shogun would have an opportunity to grab some fans in the UFC that aren't familiar with him from Pride.

I wanted to see Wanderlei go up against Machida too

Am I the only one rooting for Schafer? There's just something about Houston that irks me.

EDIT: Okay, wish I could do a 180. "Single father raising 6 kids, having given one of his children his kidney in 2000". :doh:

Edited by herrmag

Alexander wasn't exposed, everybody knew that if it went to the ground he was done for.

1 for 1 so far on predictions (happened just the way i said it would too. lol)

I was being sarcastic. Of course everyone knows he's worthless on the mat. It was sort of tongue and cheek statement (hence the smiley).

I see Ed Herman as being a future perennial gatekeeper. He's no slouch, and will give lots of quality fighters fits in the future, but he lacks something to get him to elite status. Maybe I'm being premature in my assessment.

i don't think its premature. Herman's good at alot of things, but isn't great at anything.

so TUF #9 will be US vs. the UK???

they need to just let the show go already, they are clearly out of ideas

Really? I know we probably won't be seeing too many quality fighters coming out of TUF (in my opinion, there should be an age restriction of under 25), but I think from an entertainment standpoint, it's not a bad show.

Clay owned Mac in the clinch and on the ground. There was one kimura that almost locked on. Clay needs to find his niche as far as finishing a fight. He can't knock anyone out, he won't sub anyone in LW, his best bet is to learn some mean G&P.

Right now, his biggest weapon is his cardio, which is insane. But winning with cardio makes fights go the distance, and increases his chances of getting caught with something. Gotta love how the mother fo fights.

Question: There's this black dude that obviously works for UFC or some gaming commish that is always at ringside. Usually, he puts vaseline (sp?) on fighter's faces before the fight. Tonight, he seems to be observing the application of vaseline on fighter's faces. However, I never see him inbetween rounds checking on the application of vaseline. Who is he, and what is his purpose?

Question: There's this black dude that obviously works for UFC or some gaming commish that is always at ringside. Usually, he puts vaseline (sp?) on fighter's faces before the fight. Tonight, he seems to be observing the application of vaseline on fighter's faces. However, I never see him inbetween rounds checking on the application of vaseline. Who is he, and what is his purpose?

Herb Dean, the referee???