Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Thoughts on the night:

Lesnar has a shot to be dominate. Before his fight we were talking about him. People mentioned his chin hasn't been tested, he could gas, and he may get the jitters. I said he chin has been tested by a hundred chair shots, his cardio has been tested by ironman matches with The Rock and Kurt Angle, and that he is comfortable in front of 100,00+ at Wrestlemanias. I was knew it sounded funny, but I meant it. The guy can take a shot, and he can go all day. Lesnar was impressive last night. He was throwing around a 250lb legit heavyweight like a rag doll. He needs to train more submissions and not be so scared to go for one. How many chances did Lesnar have to put his hoks in and take Herring's back? As it stands now I can't think of many UFC heavys that Lesnar couldn't have a chance of pounding out. It will be very interesting to watch him for the next couple of years.

I wasn't impressed with Florian last night. The last thing on his mind seemed to be finishing the fight. BJ would kill him. I'd like to see him fight Griffin or Stevenson.

The 170 division has gone from the deepest in the sport to one of the thinnest. Fitch was the true number one contender, and GSP tooled him. Alves is the only threat to GSP at 170 for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see that fight happen ASAP. But............

My boy BJ Penn is going to step up from 155 and face the "unbeatable" Welterweight Champion. And you know what? He is going to choke out that dominate welterweight champion. Sound familiar? That is because BJ did it 5 years ago when he stepped up to face Matt Hughes when there was no one at 170 that could compete with him.

the following fighters all received $60k bonuses after the event:

GSP & Fitch: fight of the night

Demian Maia: submission of the night

Rob Emerson: KO of the night

maybe because i like the ground game, but i thought Maia/McDonald should've gotten fight of the night, it was more competitive than GSP/Fitch

Thoughts on the night:

Lesnar has a shot to be dominate. Before his fight we were talking about him. People mentioned his chin hasn't been tested, he could gas, and he may get the jitters. I said he chin has been tested by a hundred chair shots, his cardio has been tested by ironman matches with The Rock and Kurt Angle, and that he is comfortable in front of 100,00+ at Wrestlemanias. I was knew it sounded funny, but I meant it. The guy can take a shot, and he can go all day. Lesnar was impressive last night. He was throwing around a 250lb legit heavyweight like a rag doll. He needs to train more submissions and not be so scared to go for one. How many chances did Lesnar have to put his hoks in and take Herring's back? As it stands now I can't think of many UFC heavys that Lesnar couldn't have a chance of pounding out. It will be very interesting to watch him for the next couple of years.

I wasn't impressed with Florian last night. The last thing on his mind seemed to be finishing the fight. BJ would kill him. I'd like to see him fight Griffin or Stevenson.

The 170 division has gone from the deepest in the sport to one of the thinnest. Fitch was the true number one contender, and GSP tooled him. Alves is the only threat to GSP at 170 for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see that fight happen ASAP. But............

My boy BJ Penn is going to step up from 155 and face the "unbeatable" Welterweight Champion. And you know what? He is going to choke out that dominate welterweight champion. Sound familiar? That is because BJ did it 5 years ago when he stepped up to face Matt Hughes when there was no one at 170 that could compete with him.

hey sebowski, I while I am a GSP nuthugger, my second favorite fighter is without doubt BJ. However, if you wanna sig bet on this, I'm game. :)

:laugh: Yeah right.

SU, check out the sig man...

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this. I was watching a WEC Wreckage I had DVR'd last night, and there was a pretty good bantamweight fight on with some excellent ground fighting on it, and in the middle of it the crowd start booing becuase there is no "action"

I don't know about you guys, but every time that happens, even in slow fights, it pisses me off.

I understand that knockouts are exciting, but to me, the best part of MMA is the technical ground fights. The passes and counters until one of them makes a mistake and gets subbed or mounted and pounded out.

It seems that if they don't throw a punch within a 10 second period, people get restless and start booing. This is embarrassing to me for the fighters, and the sport, and makes us look like profesional wrestling fans (I have no problems with pro wrestling, but you're supposed to boo in that, it's part of the entertainment).

THANK YOU!

I feel the same way about the clinch. Educate yourselves people!

Pummeling

(action to achieve underhooks - best position for control and takedowns)

Whizzer (0:06)

(overhooks are not ideal, but if opponent is good at pummeling and getting underhooks, the whizzer is a good counter, especially when you're pushed up against a cage)

Plum - Muay Thai Clinch

(I wish I could have found you guys a better video. A correctly executed Plum uses the forearms pinched together under the jawbone to block the bottom door escape, but this is a good video of what to do against an incorrectly placed Thai clinch)

Karo Parisyan has some good Judo for MMA instructionals

(Uchi-mata)

(Seoi-nagi)

Vids are great but training is better. Go take a class! Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, it doesn't matter, just train! You'll get in great shape, have a better chance at defending yourself hand to hand if the situation presents itself, and best of all you'll be educated! Then go to every MMA PPV fight party you can and educate all of the idiots around you of all of the technique that's happening when all they see is a "brawl".

Speaking of that, it often makes me wonder when you see guys go away from their gameplan if the fights may be orchestrated a little bit. Joe Rogan said it best when he said "it doesn't matter if you lose in the UFC as long as you put on a good show you'll be back". So, if the fight is not living up to the "hype" lets go away from what will win you fight so that you can pump up a rematch or put on a show for the company. It's about winning the fight, isn't it? Isn't that what MMA is all about? I guess not, I guess it's about going in the ring and getting KTFO so the crowd feels like they got their moneys worth keeping them coming back for more and dropping down the $$ for the PPV. Great business but do we really want the sport to go the direction of the WWF?

Just playing devil's advocate...

In boxing, the undefeated P4P kings like Mayweather and Roy Jones Jr. (undefeated until late in his career) were often criticized for playing it safe and not fighting the exciting fight. Fans love a war but bobbing, weaving, throwing pot shots, and out pointing your opponent wins fights.

In MMA, this makes me think of going for takedown points, "laying and praying" in someone's guard, and throwing little kidney punches hoping to grind out a decision.

Is this what you speak of?

Manny went out like a chump and i couldnt be happier. he sucks in my opinion, kind of like a matt serra. too small and doesnt really impress me.

brock looked pretty good but its obvious that he doesnt have any real fighting abilities outside of brute strength and his awesome wrestling skills. poor heath never stood a chance and looked like a little kid next to him. but when brock jumped up and laughed at the end of the fight i really wasnt down with that. you just beat the man down and dominated him for 3 rounds, show some class you roid freak.

fitch was outfought big time and that was clear to anyone that watched but i was shocked that GSP was not able to "put him away" after it was clear that he dazed him several times. not really impressed in that aspect of it.

kongo looked good once again and he has a great slam, but once he gets you down there he kind of seems to go blank to me like he is confused on what to do. maybe him and brock should get together and trade specialties.

iceman vs "sugar"? dude, that right there alone makes me hate rashad evans. he gave himself that nickname and theres nothing "sugar" about how he fights. he is pretty damn boring in my opinion. yeah he got that high kick but outside of that I am not overly drawn to him. Chuck is old though so he might get him. 2 years ago and this fight is a joke..

the knee injury may have saved Mark Coleman's life. after seeing how Brock turned Heath's face to hamburger meat, i would've hated to see what would've happened to Coleman

Heath Herring's eyes were so swollen I seriously wouldn't have recognized him on the streets

Someone was saying that they thought it would be a good idea for MMA to slow down a little during the football season. I don't think MMA agrees with that.

Check out September's MMA schedule:

- UFC 88: SEPTEMBER 6 IN ATLANTA: Liddell-Evans, Franklin-Hammill

4 Days later

- WEC 36: SEPTEMBER 10 IN FLORIDA: Faber-Brown, Filho-Sonnen

5 Days later

- UFC FIGHT NIGHT 15 SEPTEMBER 17 IN NEBRASKA: Neer-Nate Diaz, Danzig-Guida (Lead-in for the new TUF)

4 Days later

- STRIKEFORCE: SEPTEMBER 19 AT PLAYBOY MANSION: Masaki-Riggs, Babalu, Thompson

1 Day later

- ELITE XC: SEPTEMBER 20 ON SHOWTIME: Ninja-Villasenor

3 Days later

- DREAM 6: SEPTEMBER 23 IN JAPAN: Nick Diaz-Sakurai, Cro Cop-Overeem, Middleweight GP finals

That is quite a month. Then we have to wait a whole eleven days for EliteXC's return to CBS, followed by Affliction's return, and then straight UFCs all one week apart.

(don't worry, zoed, some of these will be free).

It is interesting that the UFC is taking a month off between events before giving us 2 in two weeks. That month coincides with the first month of TUF.

Here are two quotes on mmamania about Brock's "antics"

Jordan Breen at Sherdog.com sees no harm:

“You can’t throw up a post-fight fist pump without punching another elite level MMA fighter with a post-fight trademark. Chuck Liddell screams. Takanori Gomi surfs on the turnbuckle, and Eddie Alvarez back-flips off of it. Thiago Silva and Josh Barnett have the market cornered on throat slashing. Yushin Okami shows off his swordsmanship. Gabriel Gonzaga assails cameramen. This truncated list doesn’t even account for those who are prone to spontaneous post-fight celebration like BJ Penn, who is liable to lick his opponent’s blood or dead-sprint to the locker room after a W, or Anderson Silva, who has dressed up in full Moonwalker garb and given us rhythm guitar lessons after kayos. All of these actions are just as much overtures to the soul of pro-wrestling as those of Lesnar, who is still chided for his WWE wrasslin’ tenure…. If Lesnar’s laugh-and-lasso annoyed, offended or even outraged you: good. But if you think for a minute that there’s ‘no place’ for this pro-wrestling gimmickry in MMA, Dana White will chap your thin hide all the way to bank. And thank God, because I’ve had all the clichéd ‘respect’ I can handle.”

While MMAmania.com reader “JS” disagrees:

“I’m not usually one to complain, but watching Brock Lesnar this past Saturday was horrendous. He’s a showboater, tries too hard to appeal to the crowd (near the end of the fight I thought I was watching WWE) and after the fight he grabbed Joe Rogan’s microphone like it was ‘Smackdown’ — and what he had to say wasn’t any better than is conduct was. Compare that to the class shown by GSP and Fitch later on. If I wanted to watch WWE and their pathetic crap I would. Someone needs to put Lesnar in his place (and I don’t be beat the snot out of him, though that would be nice)–I mean White needs to have a sit-down with him because the direction this things are going is NOT good. Please, lets keep UFC, and MMA in general, a reputable sport!”

------------

I agree with the first one. A lot fighters play to the crowd. Mayhem Miller, Nate Diaz, even Randy Couture when he spanked Tito.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch over it.

“You can’t throw up a post-fight fist pump without punching another elite level MMA fighter with a post-fight trademark. Chuck Liddell screams. Takanori Gomi surfs on the turnbuckle, and Eddie Alvarez back-flips off of it. Thiago Silva and Josh Barnett have the market cornered on throat slashing. Yushin Okami shows off his swordsmanship. Gabriel Gonzaga assails cameramen. This truncated list doesn’t even account for those who are prone to spontaneous post-fight celebration like BJ Penn, who is liable to lick his opponent’s blood or dead-sprint to the locker room after a W, or Anderson Silva, who has dressed up in full Moonwalker garb and given us rhythm guitar lessons after kayos. All of these actions are just as much overtures to the soul of pro-wrestling as those of Lesnar, who is still chided for his WWE wrasslin’ tenure…. If Lesnar’s laugh-and-lasso annoyed, offended or even outraged you: good. But if you think for a minute that there’s ‘no place’ for this pro-wrestling gimmickry in MMA, Dana White will chap your thin hide all the way to bank. And thank God, because I’ve had all the clichéd ‘respect’ I can handle.”

“I’m not usually one to complain, but watching Brock Lesnar this past Saturday was horrendous. He’s a showboater, tries too hard to appeal to the crowd (near the end of the fight I thought I was watching WWE) and after the fight he grabbed Joe Rogan’s microphone like it was ‘Smackdown’ — and what he had to say wasn’t any better than is conduct was. Compare that to the class shown by GSP and Fitch later on. If I wanted to watch WWE and their pathetic crap I would. Someone needs to put Lesnar in his place (and I don’t be beat the snot out of him, though that would be nice)–I mean White needs to have a sit-down with him because the direction this things are going is NOT good. Please, lets keep UFC, and MMA in general, a reputable sport!”

------------

I agree with the first one. A lot fighters play to the crowd. Mayhem Miller, Nate Diaz, even Randy Couture when he spanked Tito.

i didn't have a problem with what he did. its his 3rd MMA fight and he dominated a legit HW fighter, he deserved to celebrate.

------------

I dont know about the panties in a bunch comment but I take it as what you like and dont like. I personally didnt like that BJ ran over to a fighter who was beaten and still down and did his little lick move but some did. That doesnt mean my "panties are in a bunch", it just means that I feel when you win you should be gracious. Everyone at my house believed it was a WWE interview when he was talking to Rogan. But what is really funny is that big ass dude has a voice that sounds like a computer nerd. You would expect him to be booking your next vacation thru travelocity instead of beating the crap out of you.

about brock...

I watched the fight with my good buddy who is as much a die hard mma fan as he is a pro wreslting fan. He hated brocks antics. While it may be ok for someone like thiago to do a throat slash to the camera, it is not ok for some jackass to push their opponent after the first round, then clearly mock them after their opponent got beat up the entire fight. If what brock did, did not embarass you, then you should be ok with MMA not getting the respect it deserves. MMA has a hard enough time getting people to believe that it is a legit sport. If you have a clown like brock acting the way he did, it further implements the belief that mosr people have about MMA. That belief is, is that MMA is human ****fighting.

I say pass on brock and his dumbass antics.