Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

:laugh: Hey man, I love me some K Flo but I think el Matador's the better fighter at this point...who was it that hated K Flo? Chachie or Hermmag? Whoever it is will be pissed that I beat them on betting against him...2 weeks sounds fine

It was me. And yes, I'm a little pissed I can't get some vengeance. If anyone wants to bet on this, PLEASE let me know. This is the beginning of the end for the Flo.

That being said, I actually think the guy is funny in a sort of half sad kind of way. I root against all TUF'ers, except of course for Forrest.

I personally do not think Dana should have let Fedor do his sambo tournaments, and I believe that was a major sticking point.

I believe he has suffered injuries in sambo before and when you have that much money invested in someone, I do not blame him for not wanting him to risk getting hurt somewhere other than the UFC.

I do not blame Fedor for wanting to compete in sambo, nor do I blame Dana for not wantng him to. It was a disagreement...they happen in contract negotiations.

With all of that being said, I still think Fedor will be in the UFC at some point relatively soon. I have doubts about the staying power of Affliction, but we'll see. Even if they stick around, they do not have exclusive contracts. No matter what Dana said in the past, the destruction of Sylvia validated that Fedor's talent is unquestioned and really opened the UFC's eyes.

As for Tito and Arlovski, I do not have the same feelings about them as a lot of people do. I got tired of Tito's antics and his skills are obviosly slipping. I think it was best for both parties for him to leave. I really feel the same about Arlovski. After losing his belt, it seemed like he lost some of his motivation. I still like him and he still has a lot to offer, but the move was probably a good motivating factor for him.

What's with all the Dana bashing? IMO he's running his business the way it should be run. Think like an EMPLOYER for once and not an EMPLOYEE, would you run UFC differently than he does and still be as successful as he is?

Let's be grownups. If you want to quote me and respond use facts and support your statements.

On a sidenote...

One of my fantasy football league's is drafting tomorrow @ 9pm and I won't be by a computer so I have to pre-rank my pics. Anyone wanna PM me or post a link to a good draft list?

As for Tito and Arlovski, I do not have the same feelings about them as a lot of people do. I got tired of Tito's antics and his skills are obviosly slipping. I think it was best for both parties for him to leave. I really feel the same about Arlovski. After losing his belt, it seemed like he lost some of his motivation. I still like him and he still has a lot to offer, but the move was probably a good motivating factor for him.

Agree with you on Tito but he still did a lot for the UFC and Dana needs to respect the guys who go out there and bang, no not Jenna, and go through the training and pain of fighting. Dana is a suit that needs to respect what these guys do. They are making his ass rich.

Arlovski, well I think that he looked weak in his rematch against Silvia and put on one of the most boring fights ever in the UFC. Because of that I think Dana put him on the back burner and started trying to push him out. During his fight with Affliction they said he mentioned Dana jerking him around, giving him fights he'd start preparing for a guy and Dana would pull the fight. Evidently this happened more than a few times. Arlovski has a big fan base and Dana made him out to be a punk. Arlovski was a monster in his fight with Affliction and looked to be back at the top of his game. I think a lot of fighters get turned off by Dana and don't want to fight for him and that's why you see some of them fall off. Like I said, there's more to it than I think the average fan knows.

What's with all the Dana bashing? IMO he's running his business the way it should be run. Think like an EMPLOYER for once and not an EMPLOYEE, would you run UFC differently than he does and still be as successful as he is?

Dana should have known about his sambo history, and how important it was to Fedor. However, that doesn't make Dana an idiot for at least trying. But, I don't want to hear about how the UFC has the greatest HW's in the world. It's insulting to any semi-educated MMA fan. Big Nog MIGHT be number two, but I think he even might be slipping.

Let's be grownups. If you want to quote me and respond use facts and support your statements.

Dana, is that you?

Problem is this isn't McDonalds. You're not selling burgers or cars or merchandise. You're not providing a service. Human beings, I know that's questionable, are risking their health and sometimes even their lives to entertain. Dana treats them like kings when they're at the top and when they're not they're gum on the bottom of his shoe. It's no different than football or any other sport; when dealing with human beings you should always approach it with dignity and respect and from what's I've read on Sherdog and other MMA forums Dana doesn't do that.

There's really no way to know for sure as fans how Dana treats his employee's but more than one fighter has questioned his tactics. Is this good business? Probably, but that doesn't make it right.

I can polish a turd, coat it in chocolate and sell it as a candybar. I made money off it so is it good business? Not for the person eating it but I'll take my money to the bank. ;)

Dana should have known about his sambo history, and how important it was to Fedor. However, that doesn't make Dana an idiot for at least trying. But, I don't want to hear about how the UFC has the greatest HW's in the world. It's insulting to any semi-educated MMA fan. Big Nog MIGHT be number two, but I think he even might be slipping.

Come on herrmag, King Dana said Fedor isn't even a top 5 HW. :D

Hell yeah, no matter who wins and fights Fedor, I'll be happy. Barnett would be the more anticipated bout but I'd like to see Arlovski fight him too:2cents:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5001/wamma-arlovski-vs-barnett-winner-guaranteed-title-fight-with-emelianenko.mma

WAMMA: Arlovski vs. Barnett Winner Guaranteed Title Fight with Emelianenko

The winner of the Oct. 11 "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" main event between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett will, in fact, earn a title shot with WAMMA heavyweight title-holder Fedor Emelianenko later this year.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio hinted at the possibility ever since Barnett replaced Emelianenko at the upcoming event, and the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts today issued a press release confirming that the Arlovski vs. Barnett bout will be a "WAMMA Elimination fight."

Arlovski is currently WAMMA's No. 3-ranked heavyweight. Barnett is ranked No. 4.

"Day of Reckoning" takes place at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Three preliminary fights air on HDNet before the broadcast heads to pay per view for a seven-fight main card.

"We couldn't be more excited to see Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett face off for the right to take on Fedor for the WAMMA world heavyweight championship," WAMMA CEO Dave Szady stated in today's press release. "In the spirit of crowning undisputed champions, we couldn't be happier than to have two of the fighters who arguably deserve a shot at Fedor fighting it out for the chance to take on the champ."

The press releases stated, "The winner will earn the right to face ... Emelianenko in his first title defense later this year."

That fight would presumably take place under the Affliction banner, though the organization has yet to announce any details for a third show.

Affliction held its debut show on July 19. Emelianenko quickly disposed of Tim Sylvia, Arlovski earned a third-round TKO over a resilient Ben Rothwell, and Josh Barnett scored an early second-round knockout of Pedro Rizzo.

Emelianenko had been paired with Arlovski for the Oct. 11 event, but the famed Russian fighter and longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion had to pull out of the event with a rumored hand injury. Affliction then replaced Emelianenko with Barnett.

WAMMA formed in November of last year as MMA's first (self-proclaimed) sanctioning body with goals that include creating greater visibility for the sport and recognizing world champions in each weight class. The organization's first order of business was assembling a group of journalists and broadcasters to rank the best of the best in MMA. (In the interest of full disclosure, three MMAjunkie.com staffers are members of the rankings committee.)

Many fight promotions have joined forces with WAMMA -- except the most important one. The UFC (and it sister promotion, the WEC) have shown virtually no interest in working with the organization.

Without cooperation from the UFC and WEC -- organizations that have a stronghold on the majority of the world’s top fighters -- WAMMA will obvious problems issuing belts to additional weight classes. So far, WAMMA's efforts have been directed only to the heavyweight divsion, one in which Affliction has half of the world's top-10 fighters.

Hell yeah, no matter who wins and fights Fedor, I'll be happy. Barnett would be the more anticipated bout but I'd like to see Arlovski fight him too:2cents:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5001/wamma-arlovski-vs-barnett-winner-guaranteed-title-fight-with-emelianenko.mma

WAMMA: Arlovski vs. Barnett Winner Guaranteed Title Fight with Emelianenko

this makes perfect sense. an argument could be made for either Arlovski or Barnett to fight Fedor, this will solve the issue the way it should be solved. Not to mention, this is a mega fight in its own right. its a pretty even matchup, i don't know who's going to win it.

It doesn't matter the show, UFC, EliteXC, or some other up and comer...their owners will all tell you they have the best fighters. It would be a conflict of interest for them not to.

You guys raised some interesting points, but I don't hear about how you would have run UFC differently and still been as successful if not more than Dana, while not pissing off all of the idealists.

this makes perfect sense. an argument could be made for either Arlovski or Barnett to fight Fedor, this will solve the issue the way it should be solved. Not to mention, this is a mega fight in its own right. its a pretty even matchup, i don't know who's going to win it.

This is exactly the way it should be solved. Not enough of this in the other orginization. (I'm going to quit bashing Dana, it's pointless and he doesn't deserve that much of my attention)

This fight could go either way and it's hard to give either one a clear cut advantage over the other. Maybe Arlovski standing and Barnett on the ground? I dunno, tough call either way. Barnett has been banging long enough to get a shot and Arlovski proved in his last fight that he's back at the top of his game. Either way, I'm excited to see this fight. Much moreso than watching Lesner/Herring.

This fight could go either way and it's hard to give either one a clear cut advantage over the other. Maybe Arlovski standing and Barnett on the ground? I dunno, tough call either way. Barnett has been banging long enough to get a shot and Arlovski proved in his last fight that he's back at the top of his game. Either way, I'm excited to see this fight. Much moreso than watching Lesner/Herring.

its definitely a pick'em fight. Arlovski has the edge standing, Barnett on the ground, but its not like either fighter is bad at any area. Both are well rounded enough to make this a hard fight to pick

i try not to think much about the UFC's HW division. Outside of Big Nog, they don't have a top 5 HW. I can't wait to hear how Dana's gonna spin Mir getting a shot at the title :laugh:

It doesn't matter the show, UFC, EliteXC, or some other up and comer...their owners will all tell you they have the best fighters. It would be a conflict of interest for them not to.

You guys raised some interesting points, but I don't hear about how you would have run UFC differently and still been as successful if not more than Dana, while not pissing off all of the idealists.

Not saying I could run it better or even that there's a better way. My complaint is how Dana handles the fighters and the way he orchestrates the matchups. Dana should be thankful these guys put him on their backs and took him to the top. Without the Coutures, Chucks, Hughes', and Tito's there would be no UFC. People tune in to watch fights, not Dana White. Dana acts like he is the UFC and he aint nothing without the fighters.

He needs to put the best guys in the ring but he doesn't. He picks and chooses who he thinks will put on a "show" and not who deserves to be there. If the NFL didn't put out a 16 game schedule but instead picked matchups week by week to put on the best "show" how F'd in the A would that be? MMA is a sport and should be treated as such. Dana likes to dangle the cheese in front of your nose stringing the fans along until he feels like it's time to put the best guys in the ring. Call it what it is, it's a fight for a chance at the belt or it's just a fight. You never know with Dana.

Look how many posts there are in this forum where the fans are left guessing who the next fight should be or who deserves a shot. We know who the top 5 to 10 guys are but a lot of the fights the UFC puts on leaves you wondering why this guy or that guy is fighting. This isn't the WWF, cut out all the dramatized bull**** and put the best guys in the ring for a chance at the belt. Do it kind of like the old tournament style where you take the top 10 guys and have them faceoff until there's a fight for the championship. Quit putting guys like Machida in there with ******* and let him fight someone in contention so we can see what the guy is made of. I'm just tired of the watered down bull**** Dana is pulling. I want my $$ worth when I fork out $40 bucks for a PPV.

Now, I won't bash Dana anymore, today. ;)

its definitely a pick'em fight. Arlovski has the edge standing, Barnett on the ground, but its not like either fighter is bad at any area. Both are well rounded enough to make this a hard fight to pick

i try not to think much about the UFC's HW division. Outside of Big Nog, they don't have a top 5 HW. I can't wait to hear how Dana's gonna spin Mir getting a shot at the title :laugh:

It's definitely a tough fight to call and there are few holes in either fighters game, if they're on their game.

You know, I used to not like Mir but since his return from the accident he's grown on me. I think he's one of the smartest if not the smartest HW's ever. His technique is flawless and he has a decent chin. If he has his cardio where it needs to be for a five round fight he's going to give Nog a war. Both of these guys are tough as nails and neither will go down easy.

You're right though, it's going to be interesting to hear Dana talk about how Mir deserves a shot at the belt when other fighters have been waiting in line. Don't be suprised if Lesner wins against Herring that he'll climb to the top real quick like. I think Dana has a huge man crush on Brock and is trying his damnest to pull in that WWF crowd. There I go with Dana again! :doh:

Not saying I could run it better or even that there's a better way. My complaint is how Dana handles the fighters and the way he orchestrates the matchups. Dana should be thankful these guys put him on their backs and took him to the top. Without the Coutures, Chucks, Hughes', and Tito's there would be no UFC. People tune in to watch fights, not Dana White. Dana acts like he is the UFC and he aint nothing without the fighters.

He needs to put the best guys in the ring but he doesn't. He picks and chooses who he thinks will put on a "show" and not who deserves to be there. If the NFL didn't put out a 16 game schedule but instead picked matchups week by week to put on the best "show" how F'd in the A would that be? MMA is a sport and should be treated as such. Dana likes to dangle the cheese in front of your nose stringing the fans along until he feels like it's time to put the best guys in the ring. Call it what it is, it's a fight for a chance at the belt or it's just a fight. You never know with Dana.

Look how many posts there are in this forum where the fans are left guessing who the next fight should be or who deserves a shot. We know who the top 5 to 10 guys are but a lot of the fights the UFC puts on leaves you wondering why this guy or that guy is fighting. This isn't the WWF, cut out all the dramatized bull**** and put the best guys in the ring for a chance at the belt. Do it kind of like the old tournament style where you take the top 10 guys and have them faceoff until there's a fight for the championship. Quit putting guys like Machida in there with ******* and let him fight someone in contention so we can see what the guy is made of. I'm just tired of the watered down bull**** Dana is pulling. I want my $$ worth when I fork out $40 bucks for a PPV.

Now, I won't bash Dana anymore, today. ;)

Honest question: Have you ever heard of Joe Silva, UFC match-maker? Or do you just think he is a puppet? I know Dana has a say in fights. The bigger the fight the more say, probably, but Joe Silva is responsible for putting the fights together. I doubt Dana has enough time to hand pick every fight the UFC puts on. That is Joe Silva's job.

I'll admit I have my homer glasses on.

I don't see this as a pick 'em. All Arlovski has is a puncher's chance. Outside of a lucky shot Arlovski doesn't pose a threat to Barnett. Arlovski has never faced anyone like Barnett. Meanwhile, Barnett has beaten a lot of strikers. He knocked out Rizzo, subbed Aleksander, subbed Hunt......

Barnett by Crippler Cross Face.

I'll admit I have my homer glasses on.

I don't see this as a pick 'em. All Arlovski has is a puncher's chance. Outside of a lucky shot Arlovski doesn't pose a threat to Barnett. Arlovski has never faced anyone like Barnett. Meanwhile, Barnett has beaten a lot of strikers. He knocked out Rizzo, subbed Aleksander, subbed Hunt......

Barnett by Crippler Cross Face.

Barnett's shown trouble with strikers in the past, now I'm not saying that Arlovski is a Cro-Cop caliber striker but he can present enough problems for Barnett to make it interesting.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6849&zoneid=13

Thales Leites vs. Goran Reljic added to UFC 90

i'm surprised Reljic can even make 185, he looked pretty big for 205 when he TKO'd Gouveia

Yeah, he did look pretty big in that fight. Should be good though, unless the weight cut hurts him. I'd Love to see a cro-cop knockout kick from him (even if it's the gonzaga kind, lol).

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this. I was watching a WEC Wreckage I had DVR'd last night, and there was a pretty good bantamweight fight on with some excellent ground fighting on it, and in the middle of it the crowd start booing becuase there is no "action"

I don't know about you guys, but every time that happens, even in slow fights, it pisses me off.

I understand that knockouts are exciting, but to me, the best part of MMA is the technical ground fights. The passes and counters until one of them makes a mistake and gets subbed or mounted and pounded out.

It seems that if they don't throw a punch within a 10 second period, people get restless and start booing. This is embarrassing to me for the fighters, and the sport, and makes us look like profesional wrestling fans (I have no problems with pro wrestling, but you're supposed to boo in that, it's part of the entertainment).

There are a few exceptions though, like the Kalib Starnes-Nate Quarry fight, where starnes was literally ducking Quarry. I probably would have booed Starnes too.

Honest question: Have you ever heard of Joe Silva, UFC match-maker? Or do you just think he is a puppet? I know Dana has a say in fights. The bigger the fight the more say, probably, but Joe Silva is responsible for putting the fights together. I doubt Dana has enough time to hand pick every fight the UFC puts on. That is Joe Silva's job.

Dana is the President of the UFC, the coach so to speak. Who else should shoulder the blame? You don't think Dana has influence over Silva?

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this. I was watching a WEC Wreckage I had DVR'd last night, and there was a pretty good bantamweight fight on with some excellent ground fighting on it, and in the middle of it the crowd start booing becuase there is no "action"

I don't know about you guys, but every time that happens, even in slow fights, it pisses me off.

I understand that knockouts are exciting, but to me, the best part of MMA is the technical ground fights. The passes and counters until one of them makes a mistake and gets subbed or mounted and pounded out.

It seems that if they don't throw a punch within a 10 second period, people get restless and start booing. This is embarrassing to me for the fighters, and the sport, and makes us look like profesional wrestling fans (I have no problems with pro wrestling, but you're supposed to boo in that, it's part of the entertainment).

There are a few exceptions though, like the Kalib Starnes-Nate Quarry fight, where starnes was literally ducking Quarry. I probably would have booed Starnes too.

That's the WWF fans that know nothing about MMA. It's the type that IMO Dana is pandering to so he can make more money. That's what happens when you put the $$ before the sport.

There's my Dana bash for the day. :applause:

i wouldn't have a problem with matchmaking if the system were transparent. the UFC doesn't list any official rankings, the closes we get to official is Dana spouting off about how various fighter is top 5 when its time for them to get a title shot.

my biggest gripe is not with the matchmaking, its with the rankings. as long as they keep the rankings private, they can pretty much manipulate them however they want.

Can someone start an "Official Dana White Bashing Thread"?

No offense, but I love the news and fight analysis in this thread. Occasional criticism of organizaiton is fine and expected, but to me it has taken over.

If I wanted to hear constant Dana bashing, I would hang out on Sherdog.

:2cents:

Yeah that pisses me off too. To me it's just a product of MMA just now being accpeted to the mainstream.

A lot of the guys buing tickets and going to shows aren't hardcore MMA enthusiasts and don't have an understanding of what's going on when the fight hits the ground (or really when it's standing either), they came just to see someone get KTFO or to cheer on their favorite fighter which they probably aren't completely familiar with either.

In Japan, where MMA has been accepted into popular culture for a lot longer, the fans are more respectful and there is generally a greater base of knowledgable fans in attendence, that can appreciate a good BJJ throwdown.

I think once MMA has been around a little longer here, the knowledgable fan base will be more prevelant at the actual events and a lot of that will go away.

Personally, I'm into kickboxing/boxing and I'm a big fan of strikers but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate guys in the lighter weight classes having a BJJ war at full speed for 15 minutes. To me that's almost as exciting as watching two strikers stand and bang for a few rounds.

*Edit: Also, you may want to adjust the size of your sig to make it fit the ES requirements....mine was too big at one time and they took my sig priviledges away for a month or so....just friendly advice man :cheers: