Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Dana must have known about the Affliction card much longer than us regular people. If he knew he wanted to compete with it, why not start planning earlier?

I don't know but that Affliction card is so good that he's going to have a tough time drawing serious MMA fans to a UFC card that weekend...Vera dropping to 205 and fighting Wanderlei is a fight I want to see but it's not good enough to stop me from ordering the Affliction PPV.

And one more thing...the UFC have announced Chuck vs. Rashad at UFC 88...wtf?

This fight was only scheduled because Shogun was injured and couldn't fight Chuck, why would they reschedule this fight? No one wants to see it, at least I don't.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4582/ufc-officially-announces-ufc-88-liddell-vs-evans.mma

UFC officially announces "UFC 88: Liddell vs. Evans" for Sept. 6

For the first time in the organization's history, the UFC is heading to Atlanta -- and the Sept. 6 show will feature a main event between UFC light heavyweight contenders Chuck Liddell (21-5 MMA, 16-4 UFC) and Rashad Evans (11-0-1 MMA, 6-0-1 UFC).

MMAjunkie.com first reported last month that an Atlanta event was in the works, and the UFC today made it official as part of a ticket-sales push.

The event takes place at Phillips Arena, a 19,000-capacity venue that is home to the NBA's Atlanta Hawks and the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers. The event will air on pay per view, according to UFC.com.

Liddell, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, is 1-1 since losing his title to Quinton Jackson in May 2007. Four months after that loss, he suffered another defeat (via split decision) to Keith Jardine. It was the first back-to-back losses of his career, but he rebounded for a unanimous-decision victory over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 79.

Earlier this month, a source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com that a Liddell vs. Anderson Silva fight had been discussed as a potential UFC 88 main event. Instead, the UFC will go with Evans, the UFC's undefeated winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 2."

It'll be Evans' first fight in nearly 10 months; he was expected to return earlier this month at UFC 85, but bouts with Liddell and Luiz Cane were eventually scrapped. After fighting to a draw with Tito Ortiz last summer, Evans most recently defeated Michael Bisping via split decision at UFC 78.

The UFC will be the second organization to host an MMA event at Phillips Arena. The young American Fight League christened the building late last month for its first major-venue event.

The UFC hasn't hosted an event in Georgia since UFC 13, which took place in May 1997 at the Augusta Civic Center in Augusta.

Tickets for UFC 88 go on sale to members of the UFC's fan club on Wednesday. The general public can puchase tickets beginning on Saturday.

For the latest on UFC 88, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

And one more thing...the UFC have announced Chuck vs. Rashad at UFC 88...wtf?

This fight was only scheduled because Shogun was injured and couldn't fight Chuck, why would they reschedule this fight? No one wants to see it, at least I don't.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4582/ufc-officially-announces-ufc-88-liddell-vs-evans.mma

UFC officially announces "UFC 88: Liddell vs. Evans" for Sept. 6

they are rescheduling because Chuck looks his best against wrestlers who don't post much a striking threat

Dana wants to give Chuck one more title shot before he retires. if Chuck wins, i fully expect Dana to create a half-assed explanation as to why Chuck deserves a title shot.

they are rescheduling because Chuck looks his best against wrestlers who don't post much a striking threat

Dana wants to give Chuck one more title shot before he retires. if Chuck wins, i fully expect Dana to create a half-assed explanation as to why Chuck deserves a title shot.

He gets most of his highlight reel KOs against wrestlers and I do expect him to knock out Rashad but I also expected him to KO Jardine so we'll see.

and if its shown on spike, chances are they'll be an immediate replay of the Spike event as soon as the live show ends.

i'm definitely watching the Affliction card, and i'll DVR the UFC event

I'm not sure what I'll do.

Probably stream Affliction if I don't go to the event and then watch UFC. Maybe watch UFC and then download Affliction so I don't have to worry about stream issues.

I love the card Affliction put together, but I hate the company and the CEO. Anyone charging $50 for a t-shirt should not succeed. I also don;t like that the guy keeps calling it an "entertainment" company. Megadeath is playing during the event. Not sure why. I get the feeling they think they reinvented this thing and are going to walk right in to being players. They better hop Trump stays with it for the long haul. They will lose a lot of money on this event.

The UFC card will stop a lot of people from ordering the Affliction ppv (people watched a Chuck Liddell bio on Spike instead of EliteXC on CBS). Now they will not steal as many UFC fans that night. They aren't doing anything to let people know how good this card is. They need to be on ESPN, Fox Sports, radio, print, you name it. They have to have one of the highest payrolls ever too. No way they make money. It will be interesting to see what kind of draw they get.

I have to admit, I like what Dana's doing here by picking up the glove thrown down by Affliction. You gotta respect his competitive nature. I may not wtch the Affliction event now because I know I'll see those fights on YouTube.

Who is that he's wrestling with?

not quite sure, i can't get a good look of his face from that clip.

He'd better remember to bring that with him to the next GSP fight.

he was actually doing pretty good defending GSP's takedowns before he gassed. once he started gassing and leaning against the cage, GSP used that to his advantage and took him down.

if they do rematch, i'm praying BJ's cardio will be the best its ever been. GSP has proven he can takedown world-class wrestlers like Koscheck, but BJ Penn's flexibility gives him probably the best takedown defense in MMA. i would love to a the takedown battle between Penn & GSP when both are in peak condition.

if they do rematch, i'm praying BJ's cardio will be the best its ever been. GSP has proven he can takedown world-class wrestlers like Koscheck, but BJ Penn's flexibility gives him probably the best takedown defense in MMA. i would love to a the takedown battle between Penn & GSP when both are in peak condition.

Didn't GSP get 2 takedowns in the first round? Either way I'm sure they will both be in better condition if/when they meet up.

I don't think it will be soon though, maybe New Years at the earliest? There are still a few more matches I want to see Penn fight at LW and the same with GSP at WW.

Didn't GSP get 2 takedowns in the first round? Either way I'm sure they will both be in better condition if/when they meet up.

I don't think it will be soon though, maybe New Years at the earliest? There are still a few more matches I want to see Penn fight at LW and the same with GSP at WW.

Really? Aside from GSP fighting Fitch, I don't really care about anyone else in the division. And there's nobody in the LW division that should even attempt to fight BJ at this point....And for the love of all that is good and green on this Earth, please.....PRETTY PLEASE......Nobody bring up The 'Flo! :laugh:

Really? Aside from GSP fighting Fitch, I don't really care about anyone else in the division. And there's nobody in the LW division that should even attempt to fight BJ at this point....And for the love of all that is good and green on this Earth, please.....PRETTY PLEASE......Nobody bring up The 'Flo! :laugh:

I want to see BJ fight a bunch of guys, the Flo, Roger Huerta, maybe even Clay Guida....

and I want to see GSP fight Fitch of course, also Alves (if he can make weight AND win a fight at the same time again), I did want to see him fight Marcus Davis but he lost to Mike "Dick" Swick (though I still wouldn't mind that fight), Diego Sanchez or a Karo Parysian rematch would be nice. The Welterweight division is deep, probably the deepest in MMA there's plenty of good fights left for GSP before he thinks about moving up to fight Anderson or having BJ move up to fight him.

but...........................HE FINISHES FIGHTS

respect the man WHO FINISHES FIGHTS

Kenny Florian = #1 when it comes to FINISHING FIGHTS

I want to see BJ fight a bunch of guys, the Flo, Roger Huerta, maybe even Clay Guida....

and I want to see GSP fight Fitch of course, also Alves (if he can make weight AND win a fight at the same time again), I did want to see him fight Marcus Davis but he lost to Mike "Dick" Swick (though I still wouldn't mind that fight), Diego Sanchez or a Karo Parysian rematch would be nice. The Welterweight division is deep, probably the deepest in MMA there's plenty of good fights left for GSP before he thinks about moving up to fight Anderson or having BJ move up to fight him.

I'll give you Alves (possibly), although I think that will end in a GSP lay n' pray snoozefest unless he gets caught. Swick, Parysian, et al don't even deserve title shots. Call me old school, but to me, you must earn a shot, not be given one for having a name while on TUF (Diego). Karo is great only in his own mind. Perhaps one day he'll take the sport more seriously and learn how to finish a fight...Oh wait, he did learn how to get KTFO. ;)

Seriously though, there is nobody in the LW UFC division that can hang with BJ. I don't think there's anyone in the division that can even make it a good fight. As much as I like Guida, he would be facially deformed after a fight with BJ. I refuse to even comment on the Ken Flo. Besides, I'm not sure he can make weight with the growing size of his ego.

I love how everyone thinks a fighter wins a belt and automatically needs to move up in weight and fight the champ in the next weight class...whatever happened to defending your belt?

I'll give you Alves (possibly), although I think that will end in a GSP lay n' pray snoozefest unless he gets caught. Swick, Parysian, et al don't even deserve title shots. Call me old school, but to me, you must earn a shot, not be given one for having a name while on TUF (Diego). Karo is great only in his own mind. Perhaps one day he'll take the sport more seriously and learn how to finish a fight...Oh wait, he did learn how to get KTFO. ;)

GSP lay n pray snoozefest? Last time I checked, he has more KOs AND subs than decisions on his resume.

Parysian was coming up for a title shot until he got caught against Alves, a few more wins and he'll be back in line. And I didn't say I wanted to see him fight Mike Swick, I wanted to see him fight Marcus Davis.

:laugh: to your Diego Sanchez comment, he's not just some name. He's 18-2 and has beaten guys like Nick Diaz, Karo and your homeboy K Flo.

Seriously though, there is nobody in the LW UFC division that can hang with BJ. I don't think there's anyone in the division that can even make it a good fight. As much as I like Guida, he would be facially deformed after a fight with BJ. I refuse to even comment on the Ken Flo. Besides, I'm not sure he can make weight with the growing size of his ego.

:laugh: to the BJ jock-sniffing....like it or not, Roger Huerta is next in line for a title shot.

I love how everyone thinks a fighter wins a belt and automatically needs to move up in weight and fight the champ in the next weight class...whatever happened to defending your belt?

GSP lay n pray snoozefest? Last time I checked, he has more KOs AND subs than decisions on his resume.

Parysian was coming up for a title shot until he got caught against Alves, a few more wins and he'll be back in line. And I didn't say I wanted to see him fight Mike Swick, I wanted to see him fight Marcus Davis.

:laugh: to your Diego Sanchez comment, he's not just some name. He's 18-2 and has beaten guys like Nick Diaz, Karo and your homeboy K Flo.

:laugh: to the BJ jock-sniffing....like it or not, Roger Huerta is next in line for a title shot.

When was the last time Diego won a fight against a quality opponent? Get back to me on that. Yes, he beat Nick Diaz, but not decidedly so. It was a snoozefest. Karo is overrated, as I've stated before. Same goes for Kenny, who should never have been fighting at that weight anyways.

GSP will be terrified of Alves' hands. I don't think he'll be able to GnP Alves, so yes, I predict a shoot/takedown/lay n' pray matchup. Do you really think he'll throw with Alves? Plus, Alves is GSP's size, so he's not going to be able to manhandle him on the mat like he does his other opponents.

As for "BJ jock-sniffing", you should know what you're talking about before stating something as silly as that. I've been one of his toughest critics. Hell, I rooted for Sherk. :rolleyes: Simple fact is, there is NOBODY that will hang with him in the UFC. What's the point of fighting people that were destroyed by the previous champion, particularly after you made the previous champion look stupid? Styles make fights, but BJ has proven that he can pretty much beat people in with whatever style he chooses.

EDIT: Oh, and do I smell a sig bet for the Penn/Huerta fight?

Huerta to me is severly over rated they babysat the guy forever. I don't see him beating KenFlo to even get a title shot.

And anyone who seriously thinks that Ken Flo or Huerta has any chance at all againest BJ has flatout lost control of reality it will be a bloodbath.

I'd venture to say the last 2 guys that BJ absolutely destroyed at 155lbs Stevenson and Sherk would beat both at this point in time.

Nobody in the world in my opinion can beat a in shape BJ Penn at 155lbs.

In reality thier is nothing at 155lbs for BJ but that is his natural weight which is a shame.

I want to see a Penn VS GSP rematch although they are my favorite fighters it needs to happen, GSP will have the advantage at 170lbs but it will be a war.

Huerta to me is severly over rated they babysat the guy forever. I don't see him beating KenFlo to even get a title shot.

And anyone who seriously thinks that Ken Flo or Huerta has any chance at all againest BJ has flatout lost control of reality it will be a bloodbath.

I'd venture to say the last 2 guys that BJ absolutely destroyed at 155lbs Stevenson and Sherk would beat both at this point in time.

Nobody in the world in my opinion can beat a in shape BJ Penn at 155lbs.

In reality thier is nothing at 155lbs for BJ but that is his natural weight which is a shame.

I want to see a Penn VS GSP rematch although they are my favorite fighters it needs to happen, GSP will have the advantage at 170lbs but it will be a war.

Did I just black out and post under Samuels' name?

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6514&zoneid=2

While everyone else is headed down, Anderson Silva is on his way up.

Although the Ultimate Fighting Championship has yet to make its own official announcement, company president Dana White on Tuesday confirmed to Dave Meltzer of Yahoo Sports that there will indeed be a July 19 UFC event that will air on Spike TV.

According to Meltzer, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will headline the event, though there is an added twist. He will not be defending his belt.

While most fighters today are dropping down as many weight categories as they possibly can, the champ is headed up. Silva will make the move to light heavyweight, temporarily, without relinquishing his middleweight belt, to face James Irvin.

Contacted by MMAWeekly.com, Irvin on Tuesday confirmed the bout, saying that he had just received the contract and finalized the deal earlier in the day. Although other possible match-ups had been discussed, including one with Wanderlei Silva, Irvin was excited for the bout with Anderson Silva.

In his comments to Meltzer, White indicated that Silva would still defend his 185-pound divisional title later in the year, but indicated a future bout with former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell could be in the works if all goes well on July 19.

wow