Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Matt got torn up. Knee could be jacked.

Thiago didn't even throw those signature leg kicks, just said he sprained his ankle a few days ago. Matt is getting close to the twilight of his career, this would be a good point to hang 'em up with his pride still intact...

he'll fight one more time against Serra then retire, i can't see him fighting any more beyond that fight. MMA has evolved and while Hughes will always be a legend, his time of dominance is over

on 2nd though, Alves may still get a title shot since their aren't many guys in the WW who really deserve a title shot right now.

Alves need to prove to Dana that he can make 170.

Alves-Koschek (if Kos wins next month)

Good point, that's the only logical way I can see it going really...the winner of that fight gets a title shot. That way the schedule should fall perfectly for GSP to be ready for that fight sometime in mid to late fall. (assuming GSP can stop Fitch, which he should)

Seriously. I'd love to see Fedor vs. Barnett right about now. What a fleeting card this was.

UFC 85: Pretend this never happened

Agreed. This card panned out as bad as expected. Not a decent fight. Alves better stop celebrating. He looked like he outweighed Hughes by AT LEAST 10-15 pounds. GSP might pummel him. That is, if Alves can make weight. IMO, he should not be given a title shot until he can consistently make weight. Wasn't he suspended for using diuretics?

Yep, I was right. He was fined and suspended last year for diuretics. This guy is a continual "weight failure". He's not big enough to move up (e.g. Paulo Fihlo). He better hit the weights a little less, and hit the cardio a little more.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/1949/thiago-alves-suspended-eight-months-fined-5500-by-nsac.mma

If you can't make weight at 23 legally, how can you do it when you hit 28-30?

not to be ignorant, but what is a diuretic?

every time I see that I think of the Scientology book Dianetics..

something that helps you shed water weight

more specifcially:

A diuretic is any drug that elevates the rate of urination (diuresis). There are several categories of diuretics. All diuretics increase the excretion of water from the body, although each class of diuretic does so in a distinct way.

so its not really weight loss but just shedding water weight?

That's generally what most fighters do prior to a weigh-in. However, they generally do it naturally (e.g. sauna, running, sweating the water weight out). Diuretics are dangerous, particularly potent ones, which is why they are illegal for athletes.

Getting water out of your body via exercise/excessive heat is a natural way of losing weight. Diuretics are an illegal way to enhance dehydration and lower your weight. Granted, dehydration, whether it be done naturally or by chemical, is dangerous. However, most of the fighters have professionals watching over them and caring for them during this process. Chemicals are unpredictable, and sometimes even the most seasoned user can encounter unexpected results.

****ty PPV.

Hughes needs to step back and regroup.

Alves needs to make weight.

Bisping needs to win a fight outside his hometown against someone who matters.

White needs to come up with better cards.

Alves needs to make weight blah blah blah

He said he hurt his ankle and couldn't run or push as hard as he would have like to to cut. You saw the ankle taped.

He looked like a monster next to Hughes who has always been a big welterweight. Alves is cutting too much to gain a size advantage. Like Mike said, it has happened before. There is no excuse for not making weight. Sprained ankle or not, he knows the risks of walking around that heavy when he fights at 170. If he wanted to fght people his own size he wouldn't have an issue with it.

He looked great though. For a middleweight.......

I just watched the post-fight press conference on UFC.com. Fabricio Werdum was asked if he'd give Brandon Vera a rematch and his reply (in translation) was, "He'll have to get back in the queue." Vera was really ticked off by this and claimed Werdum had agreed to a rematch immediately after the fight and was now backpedaling. Brandon claimed he was pinned under a good mount but was fine and just wanted to ride out the last 20 seconds of the round. He said, "That ref sucks. I told him 3 times I'm okay."