Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

July 19th, here's the web site:

http://www.afflictionclothing.com/banned_july19/

Also, anyone watching Dream 4 this weekend? Jacare and Mayhem are fighting, should be interesting to see if Jacare can submit him in the first round or not.

Sakuraba's fighting Melvin Manhoef, I'm taking Manhoef by (T)KO.

Also, Cro Cop pulled out of that grappling match he was supposed to have with Ralek Gracie but his fight with Jerome LeBanner is still on for the end of July which should be a pretty nasty fight...I could see either guy getting his ass kicked.

Cro Cop actually beat LeBanner by decision in a kickboxing match back in the day (mid or late 90s).

Shinya Aoki is also fighting Nagata....anyone know if this comes on HD Net?

yeah its being shown on live HDNET at 4am(est) late sat/early sun morning.

EliteXC has a card on Showtime Saturday night:

Yves Edward vs. K.J. Noons

Nick Diaz vs. Mushin Corbrey

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6485&zoneid=2

Nick Diaz weighed in for his bout with Muhsin Corbbrey at 169 pounds, nine pounds over the contracted weight of 160 pounds. Corbbrey also missed weight, coming in at 163.5 pounds, but was aware prior to the weigh-ins that Diaz expected to come in well over the limit. Corbbrey agreed to contest the bout at a catch weight of 168 pounds.

not making weight is becoming contagious

edit: it should be noted that Corbbrey originally weighed in at 158.5lbs, then after agreeing to the catchweight, weighed in at 163lbs

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6485&zoneid=2

not making weight is becoming contagious

edit: it should be noted that Corbbrey originally weighed in at 158.5lbs, then after agreeing to the catchweight, weighed in at 163lbs

That sucks for Nick he's a damn good fighter if he can get his **** together....he just fought at 170 almost exactly one month ago...maybe he got high and thought this bout would be at 170 too? :whoknows:

Diaz should take care of business tonight. Too bad he didn't make weight. I wonder what happened. He shouldn't be fighting at 160 if he can't make it without a problem.

Does EliteXC even have a 170 division?

Noons-Edwards should be really good if Edwards is on. He can be hit or miss. Noons has impressed me with every one of his fights. I'll take Noons by KO. I hope we see some more sick body punches.

I'm taking Miller and Manoef in the Japanese fights. Wouldn't mind seeing Miller get beat up though.

I will be rooting hard for Sak (not do get hurt), but I think he should have retired already. Hope I'm wrong.

Actually, a lot of MMA fighters are breaking that mold. Hughes? Silva? Henderson? Franklin? GSP? These are just a few examples of men who take this sport seriously and train for it like a sport. I can tell you that a lot of the top guys don't look at this as brawling, they look at this as a sport and train like it's a sport; if you saw how much these guys train, I have a feeling you'd agree with them.

Leben and his ilk are jackasses. They are never going to be at the top b/c they are jackasses. They don't have the mentality to make it to the top of the sport, plain and simple.

Leben is an origingal Team Quest jackass. Now it's Ed Herman.

At least you admit to the "untrained eye." People who don't appreciate this sport don't understand the positioning that goes on during the "ground game" or the technique that the guys display while standing up. EliteXC probably wasn't the best first network display of the sport, but to deny that there is legit athleticism and training going on in this sport and that it is an outright brawl is a little absurd.

If you could stop picking apart my posts like I don't train Muay Thai, BJJ, & MMA, and am not an avid fan of the sport, that would be great. I know who Silva, Franklin, Hendo & GSP are. I wasn't talking about them. You're not telling me anything new.

I just watched the EliteXC and Dream cards...thoughts....

-Nick Diaz is one of the most complete fighters in MMA, I want to see the Noons rematch ASAP. The Diaz brothers were being ****heads but Noons' dad is lucky he didn't get his ass whipped for grabbing Nick with security right there.

Also Nick is fighting again in Dream toward the end of July...he's going to need a break before the Noons rematch

-Yves Edwards hit KJ Noons with a nice flurry but that one right hand by Noons had some force behind it...initially from the camera angle it didn't look like a solid shot but on the replay it rocked Yves' world....maybe time to ditch thugjitsu?

-Ron Waterman got his ass whipped by Dave Herman and :laugh: to the name "blueberry muffin," did they say Herman trains with Shane Carwin? He's the undercard guy with the nice HW KO at UFC 84...Herman looks solid, I'd like to see him move up another notch in competition...not sure to who though

-Textbook side control and g-n-p by Ninja

About Dream 4:

-Mayhem got tossed around by Jacare, not a bad fight. Mayhem made it to decision and looked pretty tough in there, I had predicted Jacare subbing him somewhere in round 2 though

-Manhoef destroyed Sakuraba (not surprisingly), that first head kick looked devastating...is it me or do the Japanese refs give Sakuraba forever before stopping when he's getting beat up? He was getting totally pounded and the ref should've stopped it earlier

Also, who does Manhoef face next in the tourney?

I'm liking him in the tournament.

-The Aoki gogo from mount was RIDICULOUS, no one stands a chance against him on the ground

-The Overeem KO was brutal

Guess we have to wait until July for some more good MMA, the Affliction card, Jackson/Griffin, and the next Dream are all within weeks of each other and are very solid

We have the Ultimate Fighter finale between now and then but anyway

If you could stop picking apart my posts like I don't train Muay Thai, BJJ, & MMA, and am not an avid fan of the sport, that would be great. I know who Silva, Franklin, Hendo & GSP are. I wasn't talking about them. You're not telling me anything new.

I'm sorry I seemed to offend you somehow. I understand you train in the sport, that's fine. Just b/c you train doesn't mean you automatically know everything about the in's and outs of MMA's place in pop-culture. Just like just b/c my fiancee fights and wrestles doesn't automatically make me an expert. I was just disagreeing with your assertion that MMA hasn't broken into the main stream simply b/c of bad antics by fringe fighters.

I think it's because normal people don't understand the technique that comes into play so it strengthens their a preconcieved notion that this is a brawl. Honestly, I think it's going to be extremely difficult to change the mindset of these types of people.

For example, members of my family like my mom and dad thought we were friggin nuts when we started watching MMA/UFC in the 90's. They maintained their hard stance against it until my sister married a guy that trained in BJJ and I started dating a guy who wrestled and fought several MMA boughts. They see how they train, how athletic they are, and now they see the precise technique that is involved. It took them personally knowing people involved in the sport, hearing about their training, and watching their matches to get them to figure things out. Average person middle-age or higher doesn't have that experience and I think it's going to take that age group's support for the sport to become mainstream. I think a lot of them already have the sport written off and it will be difficult to change their mindset.

I agree that guys doing stupid crap on TUF or other antics outside the sport by a few of the idiotic fighters does not help further the sport, I just disagree that that is the primary reason it hasn't gone mainstream.

The next DREAM card looks awesome

DREAM 5: JULY 21, 2008

venue: Osakajo Hall in Osaka, Japan

Lightweight Grand Prix Finals (16-man tournament)

-Shinya Aoki (#3 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Caol Uno

-Tatsuya Kawajiri (#4 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Eddie Alvarez

Welterweight Championship:

-Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Nick Diaz

Non-tournament Bouts:

-Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (#9 Heavyweight in the World) vs. Jerome LeBanner

-Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Joe Benavidez

-Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. TBA

-Denis Kang vs. TBA

You are wise and diplomatic, I retract my previous statement.

Thanks, I really didn't intend to offend or demean you with any of my posts. I respect all you guys who train in wrestling and MMA. :cheers:

Hige news here guys

UFC is planning an event for Spike TV on July 19th.

Dana wants to screw Affliction as much as possible.

Proposed main event is Wanderlei vs. Vera at 205.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=13271

Haha, I am not surprised in the least with this. People may have differing opinions on Dana, but the dude's not stupid.

Hige news here guys

UFC is planning an event for Spike TV on July 19th.

Dana wants to screw Affliction as much as possible.

Proposed main event is Wanderlei vs. Vera at 205.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=13271

That would be a good fight but there's no way he's going to be able to build a card like Affliction's in this short of notice.

Also, MMA's being voted on for sanctioning in NY, that would be HUGE:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/nicki_jhabvala/06/12/ny.sanctioning/index.html

Big Apple calls for MMA re-vote

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- After speaking with the legislative director to New York State Assemblyman and Chairman of the Committee on Tourism, Arts and Sports Development, Steve Englebright, on Thursday, SI.com has learned the legislation to sanction mixed martial arts in the state has not been defeated, but will be revisited and up for a re-vote June 18 at 9:30 a.m.

Elizabeth Nostrand confirmed the bill did go up for vote, but "as the meeting was breaking up, some of the members wanted to change their vote. But the members were leaving and not everyone was there when they wanted to change their vote. For ethics, they decided to lay the bill aside for re-vote Wednesday [June 18]."

When asked about the overall consensus of possible sanctioning of MMA in New York, Nostrand said it is likely that the bill could still pass the committee, thereby quashing any speculation of the bill's complete defeat.

Rumors have spread that UFC President Dana White's "major announcement" could have been in relation to the sanctioning of the sport in New York. The announcement, originally scheduled to be released June 12, was debunked by White during his appearance on CNBC's Power Lunch two days prior. There he announced the licensing agreement between the UFC and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. to create action figures for the promotion.

Currently, MMA is sanctioned in 35 states, including some of the largest and most populated in the country -- California, Nevada, New Jersey -- and Washington, D.C. Among those that have yet to allow the sport, New York and Massachusetts are the two major players.

A similar bill passed through Albany in 2006, but it ended up dying once it reached the hands of the Senate.

Thought MMA barred some brutal tactics from the start, like eye-gouging, the sport's move toward greater mainstream acceptance came after Arizona Sen. John McCainlabeled the sport "human ****fghting." Since then, after after UFC 13 in May 1997, more rules, as well as weight divisions, have been adopted.

And such acceptance has grown at a tremendous rate, earning MMA the reputation as the fastest-growing sport in America. According to MMAFacts.com, the UFC raked in $2.8 million in average gate revenues in 2007, while television coverage has grown an average of 390 percent over the past four years in terms of monthly TV programming featuring the sport.

In other states, numbers have shown to boost the surrounding economy significantly. Approximately 40 percent of the 8,000 spectators at UFC 68 in Columbus, Ohio, last year were from outside the state. According to the Ohio Athletic Commission, the event drove in $11 million in external economic activity for the city.

Such numbers have caught the eye of billionaires businessmen Mark Cuban and Donald Trump, who both have stake in the sport. Trump recently bought a significant equity stake in Affliction Entertainment, a company known primarily for its clothing, but which has recently delved into promoting mixed martial arts events. Its debut card Affliction: Banned, set for July 19, will be held at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. In speaking to the media about his latest endeavor with Affliction, Trump told a room of reporters, June 5, that the push for MMA legislation in New York -- the state he started his real estate empire and has commonly been associated with -- has been stagnant on his part primarily because the sport has shown to produce tremendous revenue and following in the less populated states it's sanctioned.

If legislation passes in New York, Trump, and many others, may be looking at the start of a changed MMA landscape. But, if Albany turns down the sport, this could be the start of a heated push for sanctioning in the northeast.