Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Hugging Sherk, inviting him to train, and giving him respect in the interview is acting like a jackass?

Agreed. BJ showed the class a champion should show the loser. He won, and we all knew he would. That being said, time to move up. I want the rematch against GSP and/or Hughes. He'll win both.

:laugh:

youre so funny...

but I like BJ but this is 3 times hes done something after the fight that is kind of questionable. the extra long choke on jens, the licking the blood from stevenson and now running across the ring to wipe off an obviously beaten and dazed sherk.

hes a great fighter no doubt, but he needs to pick up on his classy levels. :2cents:

Across the ring? Really? Wasn't it like two feet?

All the things you mention were heat of the moment situations. I am not going to try to put myself in their shoes to judge fighters for such silly things.

i guess why i don't understand it is because he's controlled some pretty good BJJ guys before in Nick Diaz & Hermes Franca. Granted neither is on BJ's level (although Nick is close), but i thought he would at least try.

You are right. The only I can think of is that BJ really got in Sherk's head. I have no idea why Sherk didn;t try for more takedowns. I thought for sure that once the round started and he was down two rounds he would try his best to take the fight to the mat.

WTF??? You win the belt and ****ing defend it. It's simple, you win and defend your ****. I don't care what happened, that was when GSP was barely done with puberty. Jesus Christ. Penn just talked about fighting GSP after beating TUF Stevenson and yearly-break Sherk? C'mon man, defend your belt. GSP/Penn would be great, but defend your belt for a second. This isn't mother****ing boxing.

Penn just defended his belt. He was the champ going into this fight (even though he didn't wear the belt because he didn't feel like the champ)

GSP lost his title to Serra, won an interim title against Hughes, then won the real one against Serra. GSP has yet to defend his welterweight title.

And GSP is only two years younger than Penn, so don't give that barely done with puberty crap.

While I;m post padding ( I know tailgate posts don't count)

UFC 87 is looking awesome

GSP-Fitch

Huerta-Florian The Finisher

Lesnar-Herring

and now.....

Mac Danzig-Clay Guida

mmajunkie.com

Yeah, great card so far. I hope everyone stays healthy and we don't get another UFC85 fiasco.

Name more than once that Penn lost because of training.

Hmm, off the top of my head? GSP and Hughes.

If his lack of cardio, conditioning, and dedication to training wasn't constantly in question, why was he continually reiterrating his "re-dedication" to training leading up to last night's fight?

Across the ring? Really? Wasn't it like two feet?

All the things you mention were heat of the moment situations. I am not going to try to put myself in their shoes to judge fighters for such silly things.

Actually it was a little more than 2 feet...it was practically halfway across the ring. Even in the heat of the moment only a ****y jackass would deem that type of behavior acceptable...which is why I'm not surprised Penn did it.

I'm not going to argue that Penn is not talented. I think he's one of the most talented MMA fighters around; I simply find his behavior to be highly arrogant and ridiculous.

BJ is a jackass. Just because he shakes Jens' hand, and offers to have Sherk come and train with him, doesn't make his blatant unprofessionalisim and disrepect any better. Does that mean I can do and say anything I want to/about you as long as I shake your hand afterwards?

Also, yeah, BJ gassed in the first GSP fight and GSP won it by leaning on a tired Penn. However, with that being said, I think GSP is several levels above where he was in that fight.

On another note... I knew someone was getting knocked on in the Jardine vs Silva fight, but I didn't think it would be that quick. Jardine got owned and all it did was kind of shake up the division even more. Jardine beats Chuck, Chuck beats Wandy, Wandy beats Jardine. Where do these 3 stand?

After Forrest's impressive bout against Shogun I am really looking forward to his fight with Rampage. I am anxious to see if anyone can hang with Rampage, much the same as I am anxious to see if anyone can hang with Anderson Silva.

Actually, what I think SO was referring to was before all that, he ran over to Sherk, wiped the blood off him, and licked it. Pretty piss poor champion behavior if you ask me.

I'd totally take a GSP/ Penn fight. Penn will probably slack on his training, as per his usual...so, sure, I'd love to see that fight.

That would be correct, adn thanks for the backup.;)

BJ is a jackass. Just because he shakes Jens' hand, and offers to have Sherk come and train with him, doesn't make his blatant unprofessionalisim and disrepect any better. Does that mean I can do and say anything I want to/about you as long as I shake your hand afterwards?

Also, yeah, BJ gassed in the first GSP fight and GSP won it by leaning on a tired Penn. However, with that being said, I think GSP is several levels above where he was in that fight.

I even thought his offer to "come down any time" was a bit condescending the way it came out. I'm still a BJ Penn fan but he's approaching the point where his ego will outsize even that melonous noggin of an actual head.

As for his loss to GSP- We all know Beej was whooping him early on. The question in a rematch would be who's new weapons would prevail? GSP's raised talent (but unproven chin) or BJ's (unproven) raised cardio?

On another note... I knew someone was getting knocked on in the Jardine vs Silva fight, but I didn't think it would be that quick. Jardine got owned and all it did was kind of shake up the division even more. Jardine beats Chuck, Chuck beats Wandy, Wandy beats Jardine. Where do these 3 stand?

After Forrest's impressive bout against Shogun I am really looking forward to his fight with Rampage. I am anxious to see if anyone can hang with Rampage, much the same as I am anxious to see if anyone can hang with Anderson Silva.

I was so happy to see Wanderlei get back to his old form. When he came out there you could tell he just looked in better shape than he did against Chuck back in December.

I think he's finally settled in with his move to the US and he can now focus on training 100 percent.

I'm like you though, I don't know what's going to happen next, that fight totally shook up the division even more.

Like I said last night, maybe Chuck vs Wandy 2? Wanderlei has said several times he wants a rematch with Chuck.

And maybe Jardine vs. Alexander 2? Both have won fights since then and both are coming off big KO losses.

I think a lot of it will depend on what happens between Rampage and Forrest. I'm pretty sure Rampage is going to take it, but Forrest looked very sharp against Shogun in his last fight.

As far as Anderson goes, I really don't see anyone in his weight class that can hang with him. I think Dan Henderson could possibly beat him in a rematch but he's got to earn his way back up to a title fight next. Hopefully, we'll see Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson sometime soon.

I feel the same way about GSP in his division, if he beats Jon Fitch, convincingly I don't know who can challenge him.

Sokoudjou over Nakamura by TKO (G&P.)

Thiago Silva over Mendes by RNC.

Machida over Ortiz by KO, round 3. (I think I'm actually rooting for Tito. Weird.)

Reljic over Gouveia by decision. (I don't know Reljic but I don't believe in Gouveia. Some here do and you guys can laugh at me afterword if I'm wrong.)

Jardine over Silva by late TKO. (I want so bad to predict a Silva victory but I just think the Dean is on a roll with the kicks and heavy hands. Wandy's age is showing.)

BJ Penn over Sean Sherk by KO in the 2nd. (I have a sig bet with Orlando so I pray Sherk's cardio doesn't even get a chance to play into this one.)

I went 5-1 on outcomes and 2-4 on ways to win. I'm having much better luck by not looking too deeply into these fights and just picking winners like an office pool secretary. :)

Shocker. ;)

I also totally agree and although I was rooting for BJ, I was the first to post that the move was classless. He very much disappointed me with that act.

Yeah, I know. I predicted (not on this board but with friends) that he would win (even though I was hoping Sherk would be able to pull it out if he was to take it to the 4th and 5th rounds) and I really want to root for the guy b/c he's so amazingly talented...but I just can't root for someone who's such an arrogant jerk. It's a lot like Matt Hughes where I want to root for the wrestler and I want to root for a guy with so much talent, but he's an arrogant jerk too.

As for his loss to GSP- We all know Beej was whooping him early on. The question in a rematch would be who's new weapons would prevail? GSP's raised talent (but unproven chin) or BJ's (unproven) raised cardio?

Exactly

I was so happy to see Wanderlei get back to his old form. When he came out there you could tell he just looked in better shape than he did against Chuck back in December.

Like I said last night, maybe Chuck vs Wandy 2? Wanderlei has said several times he wants a rematch with Chuck.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure how Wanderlei was going to come out to this fight after his fight against Chuck. Then after the stare down I IM'd Slacky and was like "I don't know who, but someone's getting KO'd in the first round." Anyway, seeing Wanderlei back a lot closer to his old form really makes me itch for another Chuck vs. Wanderlei.

Good fights last night! My thoughts:

BJ Penn was clearly better than a now steroid free Sherk... but sherk has never impressed me. He has little power in his hands and lays on people to win fights. Beating him in no way puts Penn up there with GSP who routinely dominates fighters at their own game and has become one of the best at take downs in the UFC. He's put three of the best ground guys on their backs and kept them there. GSP would destroy Penn in a 5 round fight simply because BJ doesn't have the stamina to defend from his back for that long, short of a quick knock out Penn would be demolished in rounds 3-5.

Dean of Mean doesn't know how to be the favorite. He was talking about styles and all this BS before a fight against a guy that made a living beating people senseless that reached championship form running around his backyard with a snorkel on. He was far more careless than he was against the Iceman and caught a beating. If the Axe Murderer ever gets another shot at the Iceman I hope someone tells him not to stand and exchange punches again... that was the dumbest gameplan I've ever seen and the results will be the same if he goes this route again.

Tito needs to learn to be patient. He could have won the fight if he simply allowed Machida to run and lose points. Force Machida to move forward and shoot in the middle when he's not focused on running away. Having said that Machida had a great game plan, keep the bigger fighter off his game and frustrate him. He waited for mistake and took advantage. From what I saw however Machida wasn't all that impressive.

Hmm, off the top of my head? GSP and Hughes.

If his lack of cardio, conditioning, and dedication to training wasn't constantly in question, why was he continually reiterrating his "re-dedication" to training leading up to last night's fight?

Nope. Just the GSP fight. He seperated a rib during the Hughes fight.

Like I said in my picks post, his cardio problem has been widely exaggerated.

Actually it was a little more than 2 feet...it was practically halfway across the ring. Even in the heat of the moment only a ****y jackass would deem that type of behavior acceptable...which is why I'm not surprised Penn did it.

I'm not going to argue that Penn is not talented. I think he's one of the most talented MMA fighters around; I simply find his behavior to be highly arrogant and ridiculous.

All that nitpicking is easy to do from the comfort of your chair.

Like Penn said, he is a fighter, not an athlete. When in a fight he does things he normally wouldn't because he crosses over. If Sherk doesn't take offense to it no one else should (I don't believe he has reacted to it whatsoever). Lets leave what happens in the ring, in the ring.

Quarry said similar thing about his track meet with Starnes. all the flipping off and in-fight trash-talking gets forgotten once the fight is over.

I'll admit I have BJ homer glasses, but I don't think he is that arrogant. He always talks about wanting to be the best in the world. He never talks about being the best in the world.

BJ needs to dislike the guy he fights and he lets his emotions get the best of him. I guess some people find that arrogant?

I'll admit I have BJ homer glasses, but I don't think he is that arrogant. He always talks about wanting to be the best in the world. He never talks about being the best in the world.

BJ needs to dislike the guy he fights and he lets his emotions get the best of him. I guess some people find that arrogant?

I've got BJ Penn homer glasses too, Bowsk. They fell off last night for a minute when he turned to walk back across the ring (a lot more than 2 feet), swipe the bloodied face of a man on his back, and lick the blood off his gloves to deliver a message already rendered redundant by the beating he'd just gave.

If 9 of 10 people decide they've seen something unsportsmanlike, it's not up to the 10th person to "teach" the rest of them "how it is." We saw what we saw and if your opinion is different that's fine but it's yours and you won't change anyone's mind by trying to explain what goes on in BJ Penn's head. You can't prove what goes on in his head but everyone else can certainly prove what happened at the end of that fight.

A fighter crosses over between the bells and that's perfectly understandable. When that bell ends a round or ends a fight, it's up to the fighter to distance himself from animals and street punks. Period. No matter how good BJ Penn is, he does not have license to drag the sport down.

I'll continue rooting for Beej right along with you, Bro. I won't excuse his behavior last night though. He punked. He should be ashamed. A champion doesn't act like that.