Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

59 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I want Al to win just because he likes to needle Dana from time to time.

Yea, I remember the time Al went "full rage" after a fight on his webcam from his hotel room, I think.

He was so brutal on Dana, I was thinkin he had fought his last UFC fight.

But look now, what do I know ?

Al is back.

And Ben Askren and Dana can work together now.

I guess if they can market and make money together, then Dana can get along with just about anybody, enough to work in the business with them.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And he's 39 y.o. !

Which is arguably older (or about same) than the age that even Anderson Silva's similar skill set started to decline rapidly.

Not comparing him to Silva, but to be able to move around like that at 39, is incredible.

he's a better striker than Anderson, he's been kickboxing/point fighting all his life. his highlight reel is spectacular

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I didn't pay much attention to that last fight, but I heard the scorecard, and was like WTF with the first 2 scores

30-27 Swanson, and

30-27 Burgos

weird fight. if you like constant striking, Swanson looked better, if you like damage, Burgos did better

10 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I like Al's hands better than Cerrone's, but I also think Cerrone's kicking game can keep him out of range and give Al problems. Cerrone by SD

11 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

thats about as sharp as I've seen Cerrone look in a fight

Well, you pretty much called it.

And yea, sharp. Both figuratively and literally. Cerrone's strikes were as sharp as knives, the way they carved up and sliced up Al's face.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Mal-

Did you notice Iaquinta's left leg? Purple. 

I didn't happen to get a good look at that, but it doesn't surprise me, after what Cerrone did !

He executed his gameplan perfectly, and both his arm reach and leg reach were things that were hard for Al to overcome.

That purple leg is also a further testament to the toughness of Al...he never flinched.

I'm really lookin forward to next week - finally Page gets a worthy opponent in Lima, eh ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I didn't happen to get a good look at that, but it doesn't surprise me, after what Cerrone did !

I'm really lookin forward to next week - finally Page gets a worthy opponent in Lima, eh ?

some pretty good prospects on that Bellator card as well. I really like what i've seen from AJ McKee so far and Tywan Claxton may be worth keeping an eye on moving forward

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 1:05 AM, StillUnknown said:

some pretty good prospects on that Bellator card as well. I really like what i've seen from AJ McKee so far and Tywan Claxton may be worth keeping an eye on moving forward

Speaking of prospects, I'm wondering if this Volkanovski guy that Aldo is fighting, could be a rising star.

I mean, he's no longer a 'secret' obviously. But he appears like he could be on a mission upward.

I know you like Aldo a lot though, so you're not ready to let this guy through easy, ha

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Speaking of prospects, I'm wondering if this Volkanovski guy that Aldo is fighting, could be a rising star.

I mean, he's no longer a 'secret' obviously. But he appears like he could be on a mission upward.

I know you like Aldo a lot though, so you're not ready to let this guy through easy, ha

I'm a big fan of Volkanovski. I like the way he pressures and he has just enough "don't give a ****" that great fighters tend to have. That said, I hope he is brutally destroyed tonight. 

Jokes aside, I'm not sure who I favor in that fight. Volkanovski is a tank, but he is extremely hittable. He is tough as hell, but he's never been hit by anything close to what Aldo can bring. if Aldo hurts him, i'm not sure he survives. I'm going Aldo because of the striking differential. If Volkanovski looks good, I'll be very impressed.

some other thoughts on the card:

Rose/Andrade is a really good fight on paper. Rose has had issues with pressure fighters in the past, and Andrade is all pressure. Still leaning more towards Rose though because her team usually comes with a good gameplan and she follows it. Andrade is relentless with pressure, but her footwork is very basic, it can be gameplanned for by a fighter the level of Rose. Rose by SD since its in Brazil lol

Anderson Silva/Cannonier: this is the worst type of matchup for me. All-time great potentially losing to someone who won't benefit from having Anderson as a name on his resume. When Anderson fought Adesanya, it was sad, but it made fight sense, letting the new guy build his name off the fading legend. Izzy had respect for Silva and chose not to murder/death/kill him in the cage. Cannonier isn't that level of fighter, even if he beats Anderson, he's not making any noise in the division. Even if Anderson wins, its like "so what". 

BJ Penn/Guida: BJ Penn has no business fighting for multiple of reasons at his point. Besides being a completely shot fighter at this point, he seems to be trending closer to Chris Benoit territory given all the **** going on him with outside of the cage. They're not capable of feeling shame, but UFC should be embarrassed for still giving that man a platform

Bellator:

Pitbull/Chandler will likely be the best fight of the night on either card. Going with Chandler because he'll have the size advantage with Pitbull coming up a weight class.

MVP/Lima: if the wrestling powerhouse known as Paul Daley could take him down, its not looking well for MVP's prospects against Lima. Barring some spectacular **** landing, which MVP is capable of producing, this could be a beat down for Mr. Page.

McKee/Curran: we have reached the point in MMA where noticeable fighters of the past are now seeing their kids become fighters. AJ has some real talent. If he's the talent I think he his, he should not be troubled by Curran. Curran is a well rounded vet, but well past his physical prime and coming off a long layoff. AJ should finish this fight

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Jokes aside, I'm not sure who I favor in that fight. Volkanovski is a tank, but he is extremely hittable. He is tough as hell, but he's never been hit by anything close to what Aldo can bring. if Aldo hurts him, i'm not sure he survives. I'm going Aldo because of the striking differential. If Volkanovski looks good, I'll be very impressed.

Rose/Andrade is a really good fight on paper. Rose has had issues with pressure fighters in the past, and Andrade is all pressure. Still leaning more towards Rose though because her team usually comes with a good gameplan and she follows it. Andrade is relentless with pressure, but her footwork is very basic, it can be gameplanned for by a fighter the level of Rose. Rose by SD since its in Brazil lol

Anderson Silva/Cannonier: this is the worst type of matchup for me. All-time great potentially losing to someone who won't benefit from having Anderson as a name on his resume. When Anderson fought Adesanya, it was sad, but it made fight sense, letting the new guy build his name off the fading legend. Izzy had respect for Silva and chose not to murder/death/kill him in the cage. Cannonier isn't that level of fighter, even if he beats Anderson, he's not making any noise in the division. Even if Anderson wins, its like "so what". 

BJ Penn/Guida: BJ Penn has no business fighting for multiple of reasons at his point. Besides being a completely shot fighter at this point, he seems to be trending closer to Chris Benoit territory given all the **** going on him with outside of the cage. They're not capable of feeling shame, but UFC should be embarrassed for still giving that man a platform

Pitbull/Chandler will likely be the best fight of the night on either card. Going with Chandler because he'll have the size advantage with Pitbull coming up a weight class.

MVP/Lima: if the wrestling powerhouse known as Paul Daley could take him down, its not looking well for MVP's prospects against Lima. Barring some spectacular **** landing, which MVP is capable of producing, this could be a beat down for Mr. Page.

McKee/Curran: we have reached the point in MMA where noticeable fighters of the past are now seeing their kids become fighters. AJ has some real talent. If he's the talent I think he his, he should not be troubled by Curran. Curran is a well rounded vet, but well past his physical prime and coming off a long layoff. AJ should finish this fight

It's been literally years since the times that guys in this thread would take the time to analyze each fight

Thanks !

this card has been some **** really

BJ Penn looks like aging ****

Lil Nog looks 50 and fights like he's 70

Aldo didn't take damage, but lost to a dude who simply outworked him

Anderson knee buckles after a few leg shots and he can't continue

looks like a good chunk of the crowd is walking out after the Anderson fight. they dont even care about the main event

Edited by StillUnknown

Namajunas was beating the hell out of Andrade for the better part of 2 rounds, then got slammed on her dome and finished

thats MMA in a nutshell

looking at the replays, we were pretty damn close to seeing a broken neck in the cage

Edited by StillUnknown

Yea, weird night, all the way around.

Brazil was practically losing every fight (counted at least 5 straight fights leading up to the main event),  and then plus the main event until the very last second of the card.

We got to witness Silva get TKO'd from a brutal leg injury, for the 2nd time.

And what could have been a far more disastrous injury to Rose.

MVP gets KTFO in just one punch, in a kind of fluke way, because his height advantage was reduced as he was falling to the ground into that lame duck position.

And as SU mentioned, at least three 40-plus fighters who really need to retire.

Interesting card(s), in a weird and a sad kind of way.

• Like 1