Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

its weird, Ngannou has now won 3 straight by KO and I have no idea if he's any better than he was when he fought Miocic. power is the great eraser

gotta give him the title shot regardless

you shouldn't be able to generate power from where Ngannou landed that shot, he didnt even hit JDS flush really. thats scary

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think DC/Ngannou would be too predictable.

That it would go much like DC vs Rumble did....or Stipe vs Ngannou did.

most likely

on the otherside, DC has to show his age at some point. DC isn't exactly hard to hit, just hard to put away.

Santos may not have much of a chance, but at least I expect him to be less intimidated and more aggressive than most of Jones' other opponents.

That could either work to his advantage, or against him. Seems like his best chance of winning is a foundation of leg kicks.

So many other names to watch on this card. Askren always fun to watch.

But for @StillUnknown and anyone else who likes to watch talented, young prospects, maybe keep an eye on Chinese fighter Yadong Song in the Prelims,

who looks like he might have the skills (and plenty of time) to develop into something good.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Santos may not have much of a chance, but at least I expect him to be less intimidated and more aggressive than most of Jones' other opponents.

That could either work to his advantage, or against him. Seems like his best chance of winning is a foundation of leg kicks.

So many other names to watch on this card. Askren always fun to watch.

But for @StillUnknown and anyone else who likes to watch talented, young prospects, maybe keep an eye on Chinese fighter Yadong Song in the Prelims,

who looks like he might have the skills (and plenty of time) to develop into something good.

i've been getting some strong upset vibes for the main event. I previously had this feeling when Pettis beat Benson, Edgar beating Penn, & Connor beating Aldo. Santos only has the punchers/kickers chance, but its a real one. Jones uses his offense as defense and when he has been hit clean, he's shown a really good chin. Santos' biggest issue is that he is at his most vulnerable when he is at his most dangerous. Hard to believe a dude KO'd by David Branch could beat Jon Jones, but MMA is stupid like that. What Jones has done is just not supposed to be possible in MMA, there are too many ways to lose, even by accident. Add to the fact that Jones has had some of his weaker performances against people we expect him to decimate inside of 2rds and I can't shake the feeling of an upset. I wouldn't put my money on it of course, but its what I'm feeling.

Nunes/Holm could be a stinker. I hope i'm wrong, I would hate for Nunes' star to be diminished in a point fighting match with Holm. Holm has that Urijah Faber quality to her in which she is granted title shots regardless of her actual record. But if Nunes could be outpointed if she goes hard for the finish early. Holm is ridiculously tough and has good recovery. Picking Nunes by decision, hoping thats its not a boring one.

Askren/Masvidal is so hard to call. Askren may have the worst striking of any "contending" fighter in the game, but his wrestling is his eraser. Its so hard to prepare for because its not like you just have to stop the double leg. He chains wrestles and excels from awkward positions that fighters usually feel safe in. Masvidal might be the most well-rounded fighter in the division and is finally starting to put his entire game together. Going with Masvidal by (T)KO, I think Askren will get him down, but won't be able to keep him there and he will kill Askren on the feet.

• Like 1

I felt a little upset vibe with Santos too, but my upset vibe has misled me in the past, so I was hesitant to go with it.

I do have difficulty seeing Masvidal TKOing Askren, though.

Askren absorbed a killshot from Lawler, and it didn't seem to faze him much, and Masvidal does not have the one-punch power of Lawler.

I think Askren will be more elusive in getting out of jams by Mas, than Mas will be able to elude Askren's jams, if that makes sense.

Those last two punches by Masvidal were unnecessary, and I don't even want to hear that it was okay because ref hadn't stepped in yet.  No way for the ref to be prepared for that flash KO.  Askren was crumpled and unresponsive before that first punch is even in a wind up.  That is dangerous to just clock someone like that who is out cold.

Holm is her usual non-throwing self and pays for it.  Can't be just dancing around looking for one big strike constantly.  You have to do something to get Nunes off her game plan.  Her next fight should be a Cyborg rematch which should have already happened, but Dana is holding the rematch over Cyborg's head saying she only gets it if she signs an extension.

Now here comes Jon Jones fighting another fighter that doesn't even really deserve this title shot, but since Jones would rather fight green fighters than move up to HW, we are here.

This might be a good fight without the apparent knee injury.  Jones is just waiting for something, like he bet on himself in a particular round.  Santos hasn’t shied away from the champ like many other fighters have.