Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Kind of a weird situation.

I do see some faint, deliberate hand movement.

But other than that, he's about 97% limp. I wonder why. For several seconds there , he made practically zero effort to get out of the hold.

Perhaps Askren hit a nerve (literally) in the shoulder area, that restricted movement for Lawler ?

Or...speaking of nerves, it was the other way around ; his faint hand movement itself was a spontaneous nerve reaction ?

Just speculating.

There's no denying he was awake and very clear as soon as the hold was let go so I'm baffled. I thought he was out. A veteran like Rob should know to give the thumbs up. He lightly clapped at the ref's hand but that's a vague response. I don't really blame Dean in that particular moment but I do not think he had a good night overall. There were a few moments of confusion for him last night. 

I think this is a better look at it.

2 things. Based on this, he was absolutely out. But he apparently came back.

It's not just the fact that the arm appeared limp. It's the way his arm suddenly dropped, lifelessly.

Watch the manner in which the arm dropped at 13 seconds. And again at 0:49.  Definitely out, at least for a couple seconds.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think this is a better look at it.

2 things. Based on this, he was absolutely out. But he apparently came back.

It's not just the fact that the arm appeared limp. It's the way his arm suddenly dropped, lifelessly.

thats gotta be the hardest part of reffing a fight. We've seen instances during ground and pound where a fighter will be out, only to be "awakened" by the next shot. Hell nobody would have complained if Dean stopped the fight in the middle of Lawler's ground and pound

Dean got it wrong, but for the right reasons. As you mentioned, maybe some of his past actions letting fights go on too long, influenced him here

Edited by StillUnknown

13 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

You mean smith??

smith gave up in that 4th. Lion heart my ass. I’m fascinated in see who breaks first Colby or Usman. I hate Colby and shtick is pathetic but he has an impressive pace. 

Yep. I meant Smith.

Oh and my comment about not seeing the best Woodley, wasn't me saying I think he would have won.  He got thoroughly dominated, I think he loses the fight regardless, but I do think in a rematch he performs better at least.

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Robbie said in the post fight conference he couldn’t hear dean. Which makes sense. 

I'm sure he felt Dean though.

I thought that's part of the reason Dean grabbed his hand, not just to verify whether it's limp, but as a way of communication.

If you're in Lawler's shoes, and in Askren's grip like that, and the ref lifts your arm like that, it seems like the right thing to do is give a clear-cut thumbs up. Or attempt to get out. Or show something, anything.

Every time I've ever seen a guy in a virtual submission like that, he's always grabbing his opponents hands or other body parts, to try to get out of it.

What conscious person chooses to just stay motionless and limp like that, which only allows the opponent to impose his will further, and tighten the grip ?

• Like 1

pretty cool moment from Mama Woodley

that man Garbrand really got hit with the exact same killshot 3 fights in a row

his corner was literally yelling for him to stop trading right hands

Bruce Buffer reacted like a man who just lost money

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Yeah Cody has legit boxing skills so it is unfortunate to see him for 3 fights in a row resort to brawling so early in fights.  It makes me wonder that if in his head he feels he needs to do something spectacular to get that killer status back.  His strategy against Cruz was so on point and smart, calm & collected.  He picked his shots, set them up, and drew Cruz into that fight.  The last 3 fights he is just reckless standing there trading shots, and it has resulted in being KO'd 3 times which is not good for your long term prospects as a fighter since his chin could now be dusted. 

25 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Lewis usually does better against guys who tire themselves out trying to grapple with him. JDS ain't about that wrestling life, unless he's totally shot, it should be a routine victory, maybe a late finish after Lewis tires

Derrick will have to be aggressive or he will get jabbed and stomach-kicked a lot. JDS should be favored. I'll say this though, Dos Santos has not been a consistent winner in recent years and he does eat a lot of punishment. 

The pace is up to Lewis. Guys who really press Junior do well against him.

• Like 1

Ah, Niko Price. I remember him as the guy with one of the craziest finishes ever, against Randy Brown.

Then crash landing in less than a minute of the very next round of his next fight.

On his back now against Means, just like he ended Brown, and actually looks like he's trying to get Means in the same position as Brown, using that "ankle leverage"

Edited by Malapropismic Depository