Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Jon Jones still testing "atypical" but getting cleared for it.   There has yet to be any kind of explanation as to why he gets this exemption.  If their explanation of past PED use sticking around in the body, how in the hell is it in anyway possible for a guy like Vitor Belfort (or a ton of others) not to be returning atypical results?  How is that everyone else's systems come back clean when they stop using?   I am not even saying for sure that Bones is still cheating, but the fact that even the people Dana refers everyone too say they can't be sure either.....sure seems like a shady line to be drawing merely because it happens to revolve around a talented money-making fighter.

Regardless of that........Is anyone not hyped for the card tomorrow? 

Re: that trash talk video,  I may be alone in this, but I much prefer off the cuff trash talk like the Diaz brothers than guys who are clearly pre-writing out one-liners and jokes to say.  McGregor in his earlier days was a lot funnier as opposed to later on when he tried to become a comedian.  Same as Colby who is so scripted and gimmicky. 

46 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Jon Jones still testing "atypical" but getting cleared for it.   There has yet to be any kind of explanation as to why he gets this exemption.  If their explanation of past PED use sticking around in the body, how in the hell is it in anyway possible for a guy like Vitor Belfort (or a ton of others) not to be returning atypical results?  How is that everyone else's systems come back clean when they stop using?   I am not even saying for sure that Bones is still cheating, but the fact that even the people Dana refers everyone too say they can't be sure either.....sure seems like a shady line to be drawing merely because it happens to revolve around a talented money-making fighter.

Regardless of that........Is anyone not hyped for the card tomorrow? 

I am psyched for the event but I sure don't understand how Bones could still be "pulsing." Admittedly I'm not an expert but come on, man. If he hasn't been using since his last suspension he must have been using SO MUCH beforehand to still have that stuff cruising through his body. It's just so fishy. I am willing to call him the GOAT because he just destroys opponents with incredible game plans and amazing technique, no doubt. I just can't wrap my head around all the dirty tests unless he's being given a free pass to juice. (Like Brock...)

Really hoping Robbie Lawler still has some fight in him. that last fight against RDA had some of the bad Lawler vibes to it. New Robbie Lawler has made a resurgence with his beating up wrestlers who can't take him down. Askren is a different type of wrestler though, his brand of takedowns is much different than Lawler is used to dealing with.

Woodley vs. Usman is really intriguing, but could be a stinker. Usman is probably the one guy in the division physically stronger than Woodley. Kinda expecting the wrestling to cancel out and this ends up a striking battle. Usman will be more active, his defense is bad, but his chin is good. Woodley is patient and looks for the one shot kill, if he can't put Usman out with a shot, I can see him losing an ugly fight on the cards.

Jones only loses to Anthony Smith because MMA is dumb and literally anything can happen. There is no area in which Anthony Smith wins this fight logically. The fact that Anthony Smith is even a title challenger really speaks to the state of the light heavyweight division at the moment

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

UFC & USADA are just making **** up on the fly

14 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Admittedly I'm not an expert but come on, man. If he hasn't been using since his last suspension he must have been using SO MUCH beforehand to still have that stuff cruising through his body. It's just so fishy. 

Right and that is sort of the point even the so-called experts Dana White refers questions to is not an expert.  They basically came up with a new classification for Jon Jones's failed tests, but so far 

A) Only Jones has received this special "atypical, but ok to fight" classification

B ) No other fighter so far who has a history of using PEDs is "pulsing" constantly  Which makes zero sense considering how dirty some of the fighters have been over the course of their careers.

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

Really hoping Robbie Lawler still has some fight in him. that last fight against RDA had some of the bad Lawler vibes to it. New Robbie Lawler has made a resurgence with his beating up wrestlers who can't take him down. Askren is a different type of wrestler though, his brand of takedowns is much different than Lawler is used to dealing with.

Woodley vs. Usman is really intriguing, but could be a stinker. Usman is probably the one guy in the division physically stronger than Woodley. Kinda expecting the wrestling to cancel out and this ends up a striking battle. Usman will be more active, his defense is bad, but his chin is good. Woodley is patient and looks for the one shot kill, if he can't put Usman out with a shot, I can see him losing an ugly fight on the cards.

If the end of elite-status for Lawler is here, I am at least super happy for him that he had that late career resurgence.  About 10 years ago it looked like he had found his ceiling, but showed that he still had something new to show.

Woodley just seems to be one of those fighters people don't want to give credit to.  Opponents are so weary of his 1-shot-kill power that they often refuse to mix it up, and Woodley isn't going to volunteer himself for a brawl so it often leads to less action. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If the end of elite-status for Lawler is here, I am at least super happy for him that he had that late career resurgence.  About 10 years ago it looked like he had found his ceiling, but showed that he still had something new to show.

Woodley just seems to be one of those fighters people don't want to give credit to.  Opponents are so weary of his 1-shot-kill power that they often refuse to mix it up, and Woodley isn't going to volunteer himself for a brawl so it often leads to less action. 

I love Woodley, he's 2nd at 170 all time behind GSP to me. Which is something I never saw coming after Marquardt finished him with a video game style combo back in strikeforce. I tend to favor fighters who value strategy while fighting, prefight and the ability to adjust once in the cage. His fights with Wonderboy were boring as ****, but Woodley fought the kind of fight he had to actually win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

. His fights with Wonderboy were boring as ****, but Woodley fought the kind of fight he had to actually win.

I thought their first fight was solid, but their 2nd one, it was apparent that neither guy was willing to sacrifice themselves.  It was like neither could figure out the other so they just stood beyond striking range for 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Re: that trash talk video,  I may be alone in this, but I much prefer off the cuff trash talk like the Diaz brothers than guys who are clearly pre-writing out one-liners and jokes to say.  McGregor in his earlier days was a lot funnier as opposed to later on when he tried to become a comedian.  Same as Colby who is so scripted and gimmicky. 

I hope you're not including Askren in that category of trash talker.

Because he's the exception to the rule, and that's what I love about his trash talk : original, spontaneous, and just genuinely bein "real"

19 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I love Woodley, he's 2nd at 170 all time behind GSP to me. Which is something I never saw coming after Marquardt finished him with a video game style combo back in strikeforce.

Or most recently, and more convincingly, his loss to MacDonald. After the way MacDonald schooled him, I sure didn't see a belt coming his way. But then again, I didn't foresee MacDonald leaving for Bellator either.

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I hope you're not including Askren in that category of trash talker.

Because he's the exception to the rule, and that's what I love about his trash talk : original, spontaneous, and just genuinely bein "real"

Oh no Askren is great. Doesn't sound scripted to me.  

55 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Or most recently, and more convincingly, his loss to MacDonald. After the way MacDonald schooled him, I sure didn't see a belt coming his way. But then again, I didn't foresee MacDonald leaving for Bellator either.

That might have been peak Rory Mac, his gameplan for that fight was flawless.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:38 PM, StillUnknown said:

Jones only loses to Anthony Smith because MMA is dumb and literally anything can happen. There is no area in which Anthony Smith wins this fight logically.

True.

But to try to make it interesting, Jones does seem to have at least one relative weakness, and that's his punch power.

He's never been known to one-punch somebody into oblivion. He's more likely to zing & whack & whip & cut & chop you to a slow and painful death, unless he lands one of those on-point kicks to speed up the process, like he did in Cormier II.

So my amateur guess is if we hooked up to Smith and Jones to Sports Science machine to measure the power in their punch, is that Smith would score a little higher in the force of PSI, in his punch.

Now of course, when I say "PSI", I'm not referring to Pounds per Square Inch, but rather Picograms per Square Inch.

Now, even if Smith might score higher in power, it doesn't mean he can use that as an advantage. Because Jones has different ways of easily neutralizing "strengths' of almost every opponent.

It's just if something crazy happens, exactly like you alluded, if Smith can score that 1 in a Million target, before first getting whipped, himself.

18 hours ago, Chachie said:

This is a good card and it shows in this thread, which hasn't had real buzz in a while. 🙂

It will be interesting to see if Garbrandt can come back strong... or if TJ has assigned him a "button." 

Another thing I love about this card, is the Prelims are on ESPN...and that's REGULAR ESPN, not some extra ESPN product like Plus you have to buy, which ironically does not include regular ESPN, even if you pay for Plus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another thing I love about this card, is the Prelims are on ESPN...and that's REGULAR ESPN, not some extra ESPN product like Plus you have to buy, which ironically does not include regular ESPN, even if you pay for Plus.

Still trying to warm up to ESPN MMA coverage, tbh.