Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

MVB looks like Kirk cousins lol

We're witnessing the new breed of MMA fighters. Athletic phenoms are becoming the norm in the sport and the days of the hardworking MMA fighter who can outsmart guys is dying. Personally I love it.

I am rooting heavily for Penn tonight. Love the guy. If he gets a finish I may look like Anderson after Nog knocked out Schaub :ols:. Definitely will bring the chills. Penn at 145 for the first time, but will it rejuvenate him? It will have to. Frankie is a beast, a notch under championship level. Think he takes another decision, will just be too quick, same story as the past two fights.

C'mon BJ and land that Sherk knee.

I don't know what he thought his strategy was but it's not working. I honestly think he was trying to save his gas for the late rounds but Frankie is taking it to him.

Sadly, BJ Penn is a clown now. I know the fight is far from over but he will lose and Dana will retire him. Again. Mercifully. Again.

Edit- This is reminiscent of the 2nd GSP fight. Oh- The ref just ended it.

Edited by Chachie

Thought Penn may have had some kind of game plan he was workin, but the more the fight went on that was proved false. Maybe the weight cut, maybe his age, maybe Frankie is on another level at this point in their careers. Probably a combo of all 3.

BJ needs to hang them up.

• Like 1

I remember when finishing, even hurting BJ, seemed almost impossible. Now he's a heavy bag. How'd he lose so much confidence? GSP broke him. Same look in his eyes ever since Georges battered him, like he's off in space. Used to have scary finishing power, and would go after it. He was throwing shots at like 25% tonight. Crazy to see HIM get his ass kicked over the past few years.

and the other Urijah didn't look to shabby either.....he was certainly a bright spot on this card, and made his case that he certainly doesn't belong on the prelims any more

Honestly, I think the reason that Faber was on the undercard was to make the undercard better and draw in any last-minute fans on the fence about buying the card. Had they known that the Struve/Mitrione fight wasn't happening, I think they would've left him on the main card. 

The thing I hate most about the fight game: legends almost never go out on good terms.

Well said. I have never been the biggest B.J. Penn fan through the years, but I have been warming to him recently. It was a weird feeling for me in the leadup to the fight, because I was rooting for Penn, and that has not happened very often. I don't know what the betting numbers were, but he was the underdog, and should have been a pretty substantial underdog. That's weird to say about a legend. 

But that was tough to watch last night. It was pretty evident very early that Edgar was just too quick, too active for B.J., just like the first two fights. And just like the Rory MacDonald fight, and just like the Nick Diaz fight for the most part. I was hoping that he was going to find some magic somewhere, but it just was not there and it has not been there for a while. It sucks to see a legend go, but it's time.  

I don't thonk GSP broke him, I just think he got old.

Agreed. I also think his poor training habits in over the last 6-7 years limited his ability to stay good while aging. He did this for money, IMO. Dana gave him one last paycheck out of respect.

He did beat Florian, Sanchez and old man Hughes after GSP II, but those were dominant wins where he came out practically unscathed. The way he looked in that GSP fight is what I'm constantly reminded of when he's fought recently. Freezes up, looks like a deer in headlights, whenever someone gets a little momentum. Just stands there with absolutely no answer. At least throw a Leonard Garcia punch! I do think there is a correlation between being so confident that you say "to the death", then quitting in the corner, and your mindset going forward. It's been baffling to watch him absorb shots ever since.

Well said. I have never been the biggest B.J. Penn fan through the years, but I have been warming to him recently. It was a weird feeling for me in the leadup to the fight, because I was rooting for Penn, and that has not happened very often. I don't know what the betting numbers were, but he was the underdog, and should have been a pretty substantial underdog. That's weird to say about a legend. 

Some books had Edgar as high as -485