Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Chris Leben retires. Pretty classic fighter. First thought that comes to mind is Anderson landing all 30-some strikes on him in their fight. For anyone not "in the know", it's one of the most incredible things you will ever see in sports. Anderson doesn't miss a shot.

On the flip side, Leben has one of the best comebacks ever. When Terry Martin had Chris basically knocked out standing, and Chris fired back and knocked Terry out cold. Still watch that fight every so often.

Chris also has one of my most "hated" fights ever. I hate watching him knocking out Wanderlei. Even in that fight Chris was looking slow, but Wand wanted to get back to his roots too stubbornly in that fight. Random ass Thai clinch in the middle of the cage, and Chris punched right through it.

Chris also turned from a little pain in the ass on TUF, to a real cool dude. Nice transformation. Getting through struggles like he did will make ya a better person.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

I erased that Wand fight from my memory. I refuse to believe it happened. Even though you just described it, I refuse to believe you. :)

Also, from the "my other favorite fighter" file, Hendo is having a rematch against Shogun on March 23 on a FS1 card. The first one was an absolute war, but I don't know how thrilled I am to see them go at it again. Seems to me that there could be a lot of other interesting matchups for both guys.

• Like 1

Chris Leben retires. Pretty classic fighter. First thought that comes to mind is Anderson landing all 30-some strikes on him in their fight. For anyone not "in the know", it's one of the most incredible things you will ever see in sports. Anderson doesn't miss a shot.

On the flip side, Leben has one of the best comebacks ever. When Terry Martin had Chris basically knocked out standing, and Chris fired back and knocked Terry out cold. Still watch that fight every so often.

Chris also has one of my most "hated" fights ever. I hate watching him knocking out Wanderlei. Even in that fight Chris was looking slow, but Wand wanted to get back to his roots too stubbornly in that fight. Random ass Thai clinch in the middle of the cage, and Chris punched right through it.

Chris also turned from a little pain in the ass on TUF, to a real cool dude. Nice transformation. Getting through struggles like he did will make ya a better person.

I think everyone here is familiar with my love for the Crippler. However, even I knew he was close to done after the Brian Stann fight. Thanks for the memories, Lebes.

I think everyone here is familiar with my love for the Crippler. However, even I knew he was close to done after the Brian Stann fight. Thanks for the memories, Lebes.

I honestly meant to mention you in my post, Chach. Leben had the underdog persona, cool to follow those kind of fighters. It's especially fun to see them win. How'd you react to him knocking out Wanderlei?

I honestly meant to mention you in my post, Chach. Leben had the underdog persona, cool to follow those kind of fighters. It's especially fun to see them win. How'd you react to him knocking out Wanderlei?

I had a mixed reaction because I really wanted to see them bang it out for 3 rounds and THEN see one of them deliver a KO.   :)

It was sad to see Wandy go down but I was happy for Chris to have gotten such a big notch on his belt. The strange part is that I sort of knew Leben was going to win that fight. As great as Wandy was against guys like Liddell and Stann so late in his career, I had a hunch Chris' chin was better and his power would find Silva's chin at some point. (Just didn't think it would be in the first minute or whatever it was.)

Edited by Chachie

That was some pretty wild grappling right there, bigtime takedowns by both guys.

Henderson's striking is controlling the standup. Thompson has felt his power.

1-1 through two rounds. Benson is throwing heat, but he's had his back taken twice. Sub defense is awesome as usual. Shows you how insane Pettis subbing him is.

Lol, Ben was about to get in to two other fights tonight - with the two judges that would have screwed him if the decision didn't go his way. Right when Buffer read that 48-47 for Thompson, I stared at Benson's face. He was about to kill a mofo.

Decent outing by Thompson, all things considered. I want to know why he didn't throw one head kick. That's what finished Nate. Threat of the takedown?

Judges love them some Benson Henderson.

I thought Thomson won 3-2 at the worst. Rogan & Goldie were horrible with their commentary. 49-46 for Bendo is disgusting.

Thompson had nothing for Ben on the feet. He stood against the fence all night absorbing shots. Tentative, and he didn't land any ground strikes. Only reason he'd win that fight is because he had his back so much, and if you like you some takedowns. Josh never even got that close to subbing Bendo at all.

• Like 1

Judges love them some Benson Henderson.

I thought Thomson won 3-2 at the worst. Rogan & Goldie were horrible with their commentary. 49-46 for Bendo is disgusting.

Yeah, that was a terrible decision IMO. Judges really do seem to love some Bendo. I thought he lost to Gilbert Melendez in their fight too. 

Also, someone just turned all of Bendo's fights to losses on Wikipedia lol

I'm not much of a Bendo fan, but wow, guess I shouldn't be a judge then. I remember like 1 strike landing for Thompson in 25 minutes. Wonder if Bendo's face is even moderately numb today. Even when Thompson was on top, Bendo got mission control and beat on his face and hit his shoulder with 9 to 3 elbows. All that happened when Thompson had the back was Bendo keeping his cool and working out of it (aside from round 1's body lock extravaganza).

Now I gotta watch that fight again, ugh. Thompson WAS throwing Bendo around here and there, held dominant position a good amount, but I thought we wanted to get AWAY from positioning having so much importance in a decision. Close sub attempts should be the equivilant of several strikes landing, but simply having back control doesn't do it for me. Impressive, you get some kudoz, but let's see you make the guy struggle a little bit. Bendo looked like he was reading the morning paper with his back taken.

UFC 169 this Saturday OR Sunday, depending on if the Super Bowl is moved to Saturday. Three big fights, the other two baffle me.

Barao/Faber II

Aldo/Lamas

Overeem/Mir

Linker/Bagauntinov

Varner/Trujillo

Four fights at Lightweight and below, then one at Heavyweight. Unique card, that's for sure.

I am VERY concerned for Alistair, as I can see him getting KO'd again. The dude has lost that devastating strength, and stays in fights too long. His striking technique is beautiful, but he's done when he takes something solid. Mir has the power, but he's addicted to getting hit in the head as well. One thing is for sure, one of these guys is going down in hilarious fashion on Saturday (or Sunday)

Reem might get cut, Mir might retire, crossroads fight for two classic fighters.

I am VERY concerned for Alistair, as I can see him getting KO'd again. The dude has lost that devastating strength, and stays in fights too long. His striking technique is beautiful, but he's done when he takes something solid. Mir has the power, but he's addicted to getting hit in the head as well. One thing is for sure, one of these guys is going down in hilarious fashion on Saturday (or Sunday)

Reem might get cut, Mir might retire, crossroads fight for two classic fighters.

To me we're about to see two heavyweights who have NEVER fixed their weaknesses.

How many time does Frank have to be pushed to the cage and pummeled before he realizes he has GOT to defend from the cage or push/punch out and run for his life? I've always been a Mir fan but his faults are too glaring to expect him to overcome them now. 

How many times does Reem have to gas in the first round before he incorporates some cardio into his workout? His "fix" for this is to go even harder in round one. STUPID.

I've stated it here repeatedly but here it comes again: I have never once in my life been impressed with Alistair Overeem. Not in Pride and not in the UFC.

He survives on beating low-rent talent and always always ALWAYS gets punked when it counts. He beat a faint shadow of Brock Lesnar. That's it. Brock was rusty, injured, low on confidence, and physically ill. Overeem is terrible. No heart, no chin, no chance.

So here's my pick for this fight- If it goes longer than one round, it's Mir. If it ends before that, it's Reem. Neither fighter should feel good about his future by winning this fight because neither will have beaten a relevant opponent. Dana should have cut them both by now. This fight doesn't even have meaning in Bellator. At least fighters there can hope to get hired by Dana. 

Mir vs. Overeem is the UFC's version of Ortiz vs. Rampage. Thank God Bellator was never able to deliver that punchline.

A promo reading "Wank vs. Reem" should tell us all we need to know.

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 1

I actually agree, Chachie. Overeem has always been beat down when he's on the cusp of becoming THE major MMA champion. A Pride or UFC champion. In his quasi semi final bouts over the years, he chokes.

Overeem loves to put amazing kickboxing on display, right before catching a sizzling strike to the chin. I mean most his fights end that way. The only time he wasn't winning in any of his fights was when Shogun took a giant **** on him from the opening bell. You think Brock doesn't like to get hit? Overeem's lack of will to fight back makes Brock's will look like Diego Sanchez's.

THAT BEING SAID.

After Kharatonov made Overeem dive through the ropes, the dude started bodybuilding, he started kickboxing, he started blowing people up. He knocked out Badr Hari, he threw Brett Rogers around when Fedor had trouble with Rogers, he decapitated Duffee in under a minute. Those two MMA fighters are, "low-rent", sure, but Reem looked like he was ready to knee anyone's face off. Cain was blasted by Dos Santos, Brock was blasted by Cain. The matchup was Reem vs. Dos Santos, and UBEREEM looked ready to strike with him.

The incredibly well made documentary was also mesmerizing. It was like a fairy tale coming true. This reborn, super hero fighter, clearing out every fighting tournament in the world. K-1, Strikeforce, and a couple steps away from UFC gold. It always seemed too good to be true. If Reem were to have won the belt and held it for a fight or two, that documentary would be the Citizen Kane of MMA filmography. I stopped watching after Browne went Anderson on him.

Overeem was set up to be the biggest MMA superstar in the world. He beat Lesnar, a huge popularity boost to his already growing fanbase, then a funny thing happened.

I think we watched, before our very eyes, the effects of PEDs wearing off. Overeem got popped, lost muscle, gained fat, and started losing. Speculation, but that's my guess. Fascinating to watch a guy go from skinny, to hulking, to Dan Mirgliotta in a span of 12 years.

I really hope Frank comes out firing. Fight like a savage, because if you connect and hurt Overeem, he'll run in to the crowd like Jose Aldo.

• Like 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/alistair-overeem-explains-recent-weight-loss-201608826--mma.html

Ubereem may have at least taken measures to slim down and breathe. I still can't give him props for beating Mir unless he does it late in rd 2 or in 3. I'll even respect him winning by decision. Beating Frank Mir by even a split would be impressive for Reem.

If he drops Mir in 1, he's accomplished nothing. I know that sounds crazy but I want to see him overcome adversity, not overwhelm a slow starter with a fragile skull.

Barao over Faber by UD: Faber has improved, but so has Barao. Even with his improvements, Faber is still not as good a striker as Barao. Team Alpha Male still sporting a bagel in title fights, I see that trend continuing.

Aldo over Lamas Jr. by (T)KO, round 2:. Lamas only wins if Aldo gasses before round 2

Overeem over Mir by (T)KO, round 1: There is formula to beating Mir, Overeem has been known to incorporate those same strategies when he still has his cardio in the first round. This should get ugly for Mir.