Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

You want to know why MMA Judging is constantly questioned? Cause the guy with an eye swollen shut, a possible broke nose and damage all over his face is using "I landed more shots" as a reason he won, when the other guy shows no signs of being in a scrap whatsoever.

Not boxing folks, it isn't only about total strikes landed.

Edgar did a great job catching kicks, but he didn't do anything to build on it.

Edgar did a great job getting flash takedowns, but again, he didn't follow up with anything of note.

I was really surprised Benson was as effective as he was on the feet. His counter strikes were on point tonight.

Edgar is nothing but heart though, that upkick finishes 98% of the division, and that guillotine, finishes most others.

You want to know why MMA Judging is constantly questioned? Cause the guy with an eye swollen shut, a possible broke nose and damage all over his face is using "I landed more shots" as a reason he won, when the other guy shows no signs of being in a scrap whatsoever.

Not boxing folks, it isn't only about total strikes landed.

I understand what you're saying but it's not a street fight either. If a guy gets dominated for most of a round and lands a single power punch at the end of a round that swells up an eye I wouldn't given him the round. Also some guys swell and appear to suffer damage more easily because of scar tissue and genetics. It should be noted that not all damage seen comes from strikes that are all that meaningful. A single cutting elbow can leave you looking like a horror movie extra while the guy with a concussion looks outwardly fine. Edited by Destino

I understand what you're saying but it's not a street fight either. If a guy gets dominated for most of a round and lands a single power punch at the end of a round that swells up an eye I wouldn't given him the round. Also some guys swell and appear to suffer damage more easily because of scar tissue and genetics. It should be noted that not all damage seen comes from strikes that are all that meaningful. A single cutting elbow can leave you looking like a horror movie extra while the guy with a concussion looks outwardly fine.

I agree with you for the most part however regarding this fight, I don't see any of the rounds being one-sided until big shots. The most one-sided round to me was the 1st round which I gave to Edgar. The rest of the rounds to me were close, close enough that the mere fact that Edgar landed more shots doesn't overcome the fact that Henderson was landing the bigger, harder and more effective shots and also dictating the fight most of the way out.

Now, if Henderson was just in there throwing haymakers, and getting hit 10 times for every 1 haymaker he landed, then yes that would be a completely different story.

I understand what you're saying but it's not a street fight either. If a guy gets dominated for most of a round and lands a single power punch at the end of a round that swells up an eye I wouldn't given him the round. Also some guys swell and appear to suffer damage more easily because of scar tissue and genetics. It should be noted that not all damage seen comes from strikes that are all that meaningful. A single cutting elbow can leave you looking like a horror movie extra while the guy with a concussion looks outwardly fine.

Agree about cuts.

For me I gave round 2 to Ben. Even though I had Frankie winning it up till that point with the take down and top position. At no point was Ben in danger then Ben landed that up kick. That was the closest the find came to ending in that round and because of that I believe he stole the round. To me its more about who is closer to finishing the fight.

---------- Post added February-25th-2012 at 10:46 PM ----------

Damn, that cam pic of Frankie in the locker room made me feel bad for him.

Here is how I had it.

I gave round 1 and 2 to Edgar because until the upkick Ben hadn't done much in round to and spent a great deal of time on the bottom trying to avoid damage and get back up. It was a nice upkick but not enough for me to ignore the rest of the round. If Ben won that round he indeed "stole" that round, prior to that upkick he was losing it.

Rounds 3 and 4 were the most dominant rounds of the fight and both went to Ben.

Round 5... I can't say round five had a clear winner. If I had to judge the fight I'd give it to Ben he controlled the ring for most of the round.

If a judge were allowed to sum up the fight and not follow the 10 point must system, Ben wins the fight much more easily in my eyes. I am not a fan of the current system of scoring.

If I were the king of the world and could change it I'd allow rounds with no clear winner to be scored 10-10. 10-9 for clear wins. 10-8 for dominant rounds in which one fighter offered little to no offense and was lucky to escape the round after clearly being in danger.

Edited by Destino

If Pettis gets the next shot, they should put it on a FOX card.

LW's not named Penn have a hard time selling PPV's, and Benson has pretty much proven he doesn't know how to be in a boring fight.

---------- Post added February-26th-2012 at 02:02 AM ----------

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/02/henderson-vs-edgar-official-ufc.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

fightmetric agreed with the 49-46 judges.

Here is how I had it.

I gave round 1 and 2 to Edgar because until the upkick Ben hadn't done much in round to and spent a great deal of time on the bottom trying to avoid damage and get back up. It was a nice upkick but not enough for me to ignore the rest of the round. If Ben won that round he indeed "stole" that round, prior to that upkick he was losing it.

Rounds 3 and 4 were the most dominant rounds of the fight and both went to Ben.

Round 5... I can't say round five had a clear winner. If I had to judge the fight I'd give it to Ben he controlled the ring for most of the round.

If a judge were allowed to sum up the fight and not follow the 10 point must system, Ben wins the fight much more easily in my eyes. I am not a fan of the current system of scoring.

If I were the king of the world and could change it I'd allow rounds with no clear winner to be scored 10-10. 10-9 for clear wins. 10-8 for dominant rounds in which one fighter offered little to no offense and was lucky to escape the round after clearly being in danger.

Sorry, but giving round 2 to Edgar is Cecil People territory.

I'm wondering what world some people are living in. Henderson landed more shots than Edgar did in every round except for round 1. More strikes, more damage. The only equalizer Edgar had was take downs where he had 5 vs. Henderson, but he didn't do anything with those take downs. And it's kind of cancelled out by Henderson's submission attempts.

Edgar was just flat out beat down by Henderson. It wasn't a close fight.

I called it 49-46 Henderson. Every punch Frankie landed bounced off of Henderson's head and did nothing. It was unsettling the size difference last night, as if Gray Maynard wasn't jacked enough. Gotta give mad props to Frankie, he can hang in there against the best of the best when the fighters outweigh him by 15+ pounds on fight night. I was extremely impressed with his wrestling, even though he couldn't keep Henderson down. He literally threw Henderson to the ground like Overeem did to Rogers. WTF? Small dude throwing around Benson Henderson, okay.

I'd love to see him against Jose Aldo, or anyone in featherweight or lightweight for that matter, dude has a heart of steel. Big fan.

As for Rampage, he looked plump, he looked flat, but that entrance and the slam were still classics. Sad fight to watch as a Rampage Jackson fan, he has some major mileage on him. Perhaps the most prestigious fight record in MMA history. Hope he doesn't drop 3 in a row...

I told my friend before the Hunt/Kongo fight that I "guarantee this fat dude is going to knock Black Terminator out, watch, I promise you." Mark Hunt's 7-7 record pops up against Kongo's inflated record and friend becomes completely skeptical. "Yeah right, this ripped mother****er is going to kill fat dude." Hunt goes in there, looks like he's just stoppin' to get a hot dog, decides to punch Kongo in the face a couple times, and forgets the fight even happened during the post fight interview. I literally think he has a chance against Dos Santos, style wise. Burn me at the stake. Obviously we have to see if fighters with good ground games can take him down and keep him there, but I'm very intrigued by the extreme problem Hunt presents. He looks ridiculously sharp with his striking. If he can keep his fights standing then uh oh for everybody.

That was an amazing card, a classic Japanese crowd. You could tell there were some American fans there with the periodical boos, but it wasn't that bad at all. Love the enormous tennis clap, especially when a fighter advances positions on the ground. Maked me very nostalgic about Pride.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I tend to worry about Edgar's prospects long term. We all admire and respect his ability to take a pounding, but his last 3 fights have put alot of mileage on his body.

I don't see the need for him to drop down, he's been in razor thin fights with the 2 of the 3 biggest LW's in the world and didn't lose based on size (hell he even ko'd the bigger Maynard). Should he choose to go down, thats cool, but I don't think it should be forced on him.

I don't think he beats Aldo anyway. Bendo has great success countering Edgar last night and while Edgar caught alot of kicks, they still landed. I'm not sure he can take that many Aldo leg kicks. Also a large part of Edgar's game is predicated on speed, he loses that advantage if he goes against Aldo.

Edited by StillUnknown

Aldo is a bad match up for Edgar IMO. His strikes are a lot faster than Edgars and while he doesn't move nearly as well his leg kicks don't allow anyone else to bounce around for long. I've never seen Edgar focus on taking his opponent down.

I'm assuming Pettis gets Henderson next but where do the others land?

Bendo v Pettis

Maynard v Melendez

Diaz v Miller (UFC fox 3)

Edited by Destino

I actually think the winner of Diaz/Miller should be the #1 contender. Joe Lauzon has been falling in the ranks for awhile now and he is almost to the point where his "celeb" value from being on TUF is what is keeping him getting fights on PPV cards. And this is coming from a Lauzon fan who thought he would be a lot better by now.

It's not that I don't think Pettis is legit, I just think that his flash KO is what has everyone ready to throw him a title shot instead of other guys who have climbed the ladder.

Why not have Pettis fight the winner of Diaz/Miller for the title shot?

I actually think the winner of Diaz/Miller should be the #1 contender. Joe Lauzon has been falling in the ranks for awhile now and he is almost to the point where his "celeb" value from being on TUF is what is keeping him getting fights on PPV cards. And this is coming from a Lauzon fan who thought he would be a lot better by now.

It's not that I don't think Pettis is legit, I just think that his flash KO is what has everyone ready to throw him a title shot instead of other guys who have climbed the ladder.

Why not have Pettis fight the winner of Diaz/Miller for the title shot?

Bendo would be on ice for a while if had to wait on that fight, He came out of last night with no injuries. You would shelve him until probably September if you wait for the winner of Diaz/Miller. Bendo/Pettis can be scheduled for May/June and has a backstory that writes itself.

I think the winner of Diaz/Miller is more deserving than Pettis, but the Bendo/Pettis fight is good for business & fight fans.

Who DOESN'T Jose Aldo present problems to? Does that mean nobody should fight him? Frankie shouldn't even try? FW needs contenders and he's got a 1 or 0-fight road to the title. Wonder if they'd let him fight Aldo right away.

Aldo's knees are already legendary, his kicks are wicked, but I'd give Frankie an advantage with the hands, wrestling and cardio.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Bendo would be on ice for a while if had to wait on that fight, He came out of last night with no injuries. You would shelve him until probably September if you wait for the winner of Diaz/Miller. Bendo/Pettis can be scheduled for May/June and has a backstory that writes itself.

I think the winner of Diaz/Miller is more deserving than Pettis, but the Bendo/Pettis fight is good for business & fight fans.

Hard to say anyone is more deserving than the guy who was guaranteed an imidiate title shot after coming over as WEC champ then have that taken from him after The Draw.

If Miller wins he is only two wins removed from getting owned by Bendo, and those two wins would be Guilard, who sucks, and Diaz who is very inconsistent.

The only knock on a Pettis title shot is his loss to Guida, but Diaz also has a loss to Guida.

A Pettis fight just makes too much sense not to happen for a variety of reasons.

---

I love the Maynar-Melendez matchup too (in fact, I'd love any Melendez UFC matchup. Guida, Frankie, Miller...), but didn't he just re-up with Strikeforce? I think when he does come over he goes right into a title fight (assuming he comes in as champ). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed to do that for him if he stayed in SF for a bit longer.

Why is it that Redskin fans, or any football fan in general, can't talk about their team and sport with such intelligence, logic, reasoning, and technicality, as MMA fans do about 2 guys duking it out ? When it comes to football or Redskins, it's always driven by off-the-chart emotions and blown out of proportion, while MMA fans speak more from the cerebral context ?