Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

you're not missing much

their forum posts are 96% trivial BS

QFT.

Their forums are full of idiots that have nothing intelligent to offer in MMA discussion.

I love this thread because it saves me from Sherdog lol.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pros-Picks-St-Pierre-vs-Alves-18383

Pros who picked St. Pierre: 20

Pros who picked Alves: 13

Pros who did not decide: 2

That sounds about right. I'm looking forward to this fight more than any other on the card.

Sherdog forums shine when they're asked to photoshop or make .gifs. But when they touch the keyboard it's like taking a course in "how to fail the 1st grade."

Although, I must say I like clicking on the real moronic thread titles just to see people smash the OP.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15450/yes-junior-dos-santos-is-set-to-fight-mirko-cro-cop-filipovoc-at-ufc-103.mma

After conflicting reports and questions about Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's standing with the Japanese-based DREAM organization and the UFC, the Croatian fighter is, in fact, returning to the octagon.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported on Wednesday that Junior Dos Santos (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) had been pulled from a UFC 102 bout with Justin McCully, and sources close to the negotiations now tell us he is set to fight fellow heavyweight Filipovic (25-6-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at UFC 103.

The event takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, and airs live on pay-per-view.

It's unknown if the heavyweight clash will serve as the night's main event.

After a nearly two-year-long split from the UFC, Filipovic returned to the organization last month and defeated Mustapha Al Turk at UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany. During a media conference call to announce his return and late addition to the UFC 99 card, Filipovic said he considered his first run in the UFC, which included a 1-2 record and losses to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo, a "black mark" on his career.

Filipovic also said he wanted to make a run at the UFC title with his return to the organization. On the same call, UFC President Dana White announced he had signed Filipovic to a rare one-fight deal – with a verbal agreement that a multi-fight contract would be signed after UFC 99. White said it was the first time in his history with the organization he agreed to such a deal.

However, just hours after the event, White told Yahoo! Sports that Filipovic "[expletived] me" and that the fighter informed him he had signed a three-fight deal with the Japanese-based DREAM organization.

"Isn't that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?" White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic's deal with DREAM. "He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal, and he [expletived] me."

Even as Filipovic told Croatian media outlets that it was a simple misunderstanding and that he hadn't signed with the Japanese promotion, a DREAM official told USA Today the organization had, in fact, secured a deal with Filipovic.

Last week, though, Croatian outlets reported that UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta had flown to the fighter's home and signed Filipovic to a deal that would keep him in the UFC. And on Wednesday, Dos Santos confirmed to GracieMag.com he had been pulled from the UFC 102 card and was slated to fight at UFC 103, possibly against Filipovic in the night's main event.

With his new UFC deal apparently done, Filipovic's current status with DREAM is unknown.

Regardless, Filipovic enters UFC 103 with three wins (and one no-contest) in his past four fights. All three victories came via first-round stoppage, though Filipovic was losing the September 2008 fight with Alistair Overeem before an illegal knee to Filipovic's groin forced a no-contest. There was also some controversy in the win over Al-Turk after the bout's referee didn't see an illegal (and inadvertent) eye poke from Filipovic that forced his opponent to cover up. Filipovic pounced on Al-Turk and forced a first-round TKO stoppage just seconds later.

Prior to the fight, Filipovic said a surgically repaired knee had felt its best in years and that he is again fighting at 100 percent.

He now faces a stern test in Dos Santos, a rising heavyweight contender who followed an upset TKO win over Fabricio Werdum in October with a dominating 54-second knockout of Stefan Struve in February at UFC 95. A win over Filipovic could thrust the Brazilian fighter into immediate title contention.

For the latest on UFC 103, including the latest rumored fight card, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

That's what I'm talking about. Dos Santos will be a test for Cro Cop. I'm pretty sure that fight will end in KO one way or another.

Im taking Mir, Alves, Hendo, Fitch and Akiyama.

Article from Wetzel. Makes it harder for me to dislike Lesnar, but i really really cant stand that big dumb animal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AgZcd2aSdG6HN_c6CK0Q09I5nYcB?slug=dw-lesnarmir070909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I didn’t have any respect for Randy [Couture], I didn’t have any respect for Heath [Herring], I don’t have any respect for Frank,” he said. “There’s going to be a winner, there’s going to be a loser. As soon as you step in and have any respect for your opponent, I think you become the loser a hell of a lot sooner.

:laugh:

Unless I'm misreading it, it sounds like Mirko was telling the truth when he said he had not signed a deal with Dream. After all, how could Fertitta have signed him if he were already under contract?

I think Dream announced the deal prematurely in order to make Dana White blow his top and alienate Cro Cop. It apparently didn't work.

Unless I'm misreading it, it sounds like Mirko was telling the truth when he said he had not signed a deal with Dream. After all, how could Fertitta have signed him if he were already under contract?

I think Dream announced the deal prematurely in order to make Dana White blow his top and alienate Cro Cop. It apparently didn't work.

I think that's what happened too. I remember reading that a couple of people that worked for Dream said it but no one in the media could have anyone confirm the deal. Looks like they might get the ax...especially since Dream is owned by the Japanese mafia and all lol.

Lesnar by TKO. I don't think he'll ever be in danger in this fight. He will own Mir.

GSP over Alves by TKO in the 4th. I'll be rooting for Alves, but I think GSP will fight smart and turn this into a wrestling match. Alves will wear out before GSP.

Hendo by decision.

Akiyama

Bonnar

Jones

Fitch

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9119&zoneid=13

As of 2 p.m. PST on Tuesday, UFC welterweight contender Thiago Alves said he weighed 183 pounds.

The 25-year-old American Top Team product meets his biggest opportunity on Saturday when he faces reigning champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100.

With 13 pounds to go, Alves looked relieved, and the UFC felt the same.

“That’s really good for me,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “Usually I get here (at) 188, 189, and I’m amazed with myself. 183, I’m like whoa. Everybody from the UFC was like, wow, I can’t believe it.”

Alves said a hellish training camp put him on track.

“I’ve just been doing what I’m supposed to do more professionally,” he said. “No cheating on myself, things like that. Before, (it was like), ah, I’m going to skip one day. It would always catch up with me later on. I’d leave everything to the last minute.”

The only remaining challenge is the wait until Saturday.

“ It’s gonna be a war,” he said. “Georges St. Pierre, he’s the champion, but I’m going to knock him out. It’s my time.”

good to see Alves on pace to make weight. championship matches dont get the 1lbs cushion that nontitle fights get.

last thing this card would need is another Travis Lutter type situation

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9119&zoneid=13

good to see Alves on pace to make weight. championship matches dont get the 1lbs cushion that nontitle fights get.

last thing this card would need is another Travis Lutter type situation

I can't believe I didn't know that about title fights. Sounds like Alves will be right on the money. That's at least the 2nd time I've heard him say he's going to knock out GSP...I wonder if he's trying to hype a stand-up strategy and then try to take it to the ground and submit GSP on fight night? He has the power to wrestle with GSP IMO.

I can't believe I didn't know that about title fights. Sounds like Alves will be right on the money. That's at least the 2nd time I've heard him say he's going to knock out GSP...I wonder if he's trying to hype a stand-up strategy and then try to take it to the ground and submit GSP on fight night? He has the power to wrestle with GSP IMO.

GSP's ground game is pretty damn good, only way i see Alves pullin a submission is if he rocks him with some ground n pound first. Alves does train with some great submission guys in Ricardo Liborio, Marcus Aurelio, & marcelo garcia (one of the very best grapplers ever), so he should be able to hold his own though

he may have the power, but to get GSP down he's going to have to use technique. Koscheck did get GSP down in their fight, so its not impossible to get him down, but i'm not sure Alves has the technique to bother him.

ATT will have him well prepared though, its not like GSP's game surprises people. they know what he's going to do, they just can't stop it, which is a testament to GSP's skill

honestly i think the main reason this fight is intriguing is that its the first time we'll see GSP in the cage with someone who's physically bigger than he is.

Just heard from a buddy that if you order the ONLINE PPV from UFC's website, you get to see all of the undercard matches. Any validity to that? Why the hell would they screw cable viewers out of the fights?

i don't think its screwing the cable viewers. i think those who order the online ppv will get to see all the undercard fights live. those who order the ppv on cable will get to see the prelims if time permits, just like any other PPV

with two 5rd title fights, i doubt we see many undercards anyway. unless the fights on the maincard are ended quickly

Edited by StillUnknown

According to this, it is true if you order the PPV through UFC.Com that you will get the prelim fights too

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15448/order-ufc-100-pay-per-view-on-ufc-com-and-get-the-prelims-fights-for-free.mma

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is again selling its pay-per-view events online, and as part of Saturday's UFC 100 event, anyone who makes a purchase on UFC.com will also receive access to the otherwise-un-aired six-fight preliminary card.

UFC 100 takes place this Saturday, July 11, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

To gain access to the prelims, purchases ($44.95 per event) must be made by 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. PT) this Friday, July 10.

Just heard from a buddy that if you order the ONLINE PPV from UFC's website, you get to see all of the undercard matches. Any validity to that? Why the hell would they screw cable viewers out of the fights?

Yep, that is true. I guess this way brings more $$$$ straight to the UFC, rather than cable companies getting a cut. Ususally we get to see the undercard fights worth seeing though.

Edited by lovetoaster

GSP's ground game is pretty damn good, only way i see Alves pullin a submission is if he rocks him with some ground n pound first. Alves does train with some great submission guys in Ricardo Liborio, Marcus Aurelio, & marcelo garcia (one of the very best grapplers ever), so he should be able to hold his own though

Yeah that's why I was thinking he could possibly be looking to submit GSP. But you're right about size, this will be the first time GSP's really fought anyone significantly bigger than him. Although, I thought Jon Fitch was bigger than him but I don't think it was a huge difference.

i don't think its screwing the cable viewers. i think those who order the online ppv will get to see all the undercard fights live. those who order the ppv on cable will get to see the prelims if time permits, just like any other PPV

Sucks, but certainly makes sense. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for someone to download the unaired fights. Sucks that it has to be done that way.

UFC 100 Predictions

Stephan "The American Psycho" Bonner vs. Mark Coleman:

Too bad this is on the undercard because it has the names to make it fun. I hope this fight goes just like the Coleman-Rua fight merely because it'll mean Mark still has something left in that old, roid-ridden body. I actually want very badly to pick Coleman. Bonnar is no threat to anyone in the title-shot picture so why should we continue to be subjected to his self-depricating wit? I expect him to survive the first round, let Mark gas, and find a win OR even more typically let Mark gas and still not be able to finish it.

You know what? Screw Stephen Bonnar. Mark Coleman by GnP, Rd 1. ;)

Michael "The Count" Bisping vs. Dan "Hendo" Henderson: I'm tired of Bisping's mouth and I hope Hendo knocks the teeth out of it. I'm hearing a lot of people give The Count more of a shot than I do of winning this fight but he'll have to pull some serious duck and run to do it. I've said many times that I've not been overly impressed with the UFC version of Dan Henderson so I hope he's got enough motivation after the TUF season to put a beating on Bisping. I just haven't seen his legendary power yet in the octagon.

Hendo by UD.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves: GSP is so supremely technical and strong right now. I can't see Alves bringing enough savvy to the octagon to beat him. I think Alves will put up a good fight for 2 rounds and gas somewhere in the third, wilting under Georges' pressure.

GSP submits him in 4.

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir: It's awfully hard to come right out and say Frank Mir will find a way to win twice over the raging behemoth of hammer fists that Brock brings. Lesnar has shown a lot of skills against Herring and Couture. I'd expect Mir to stay outside for round 1 and let Brock burn off some steam but even that seems hard to do against a man with Lesnar's reach and bullrush. This fight could go exactly like the first one when you look at the 2 fighters' best attributes but then I'd expect both guys to learn from the first meeting. There's no question who will suffer more punishment saturday night but there's certainly no predicting a winner due to what Frank can do at any given second. The longer it goes, the better it is for Mir but heck if Lesnar stays on top of him, Frank could be the one gassing by the 3rd or 4th round. TOUGH call.

(Change of heart edit) "F" the coin flip. I want Frank to win, I'm picking Frank. (Edit- I'm rooting hard for Frank Mir though.) (New edit- Mir wins.)

There you have 'em. The wrong picks. :)

Edited by Chachie

UFC 100: "Bring Back PRIDE", picks:

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher: Akiyama has the advantage on the ground and with takedowns. Belcher needs to have sharp striking and land those leg kicks. Avoid getting drawn in to a clinch game, and slow the energetic Akiyama down with precision countering. I think Belcher has a better chance than what most people think here. I'll take what I assume is the upset, Belcher, by introduction to U.S.A. UD.

Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago: You never know what can happen in a fight, but in my opinion Fitch has to have an unheard-of off night to get outclassed here. Thiago has that confidence of being undefeated and knocking out Koscheck, but Fitch is too seasoned and gritty to lose this one. Fitch, G&P, round 2.

Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping: This is a great time for both of these guys to fight. If this was the Dan Henderson of 5 years ago, this would almost be a no-brainer pick. Now, at 39, the wear and tear on Hendo could catch up to him at any time. As dismissive a ton of people are towards Bisping, he DOES have great cardio and keeps a high pace. Those two assets shouldn't be enough to beat Henderson, but I think it's enough to take it all 15 minutes. Bisping must realize that he might lose 25-0 in the wrestling aspect of the fight. Henderson, Unanimous Decision.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves: Alves is a mauling striker that has great reflexes. Alves almost looks like an anti-GSP fighter. I'll preface this by saying I see one possibility for an outcome being a flash KO from Alves. However, GSP's focus has amazed me throughout his career. He can shake off bad rounds and bad fights, becoming two-times more determined. Nothing against Alves, but I think GSP will win by simply wanting it more. GSP, G&P TKO, round 3.

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir: Lesnar is a tough fighter to predict simply because he has 3 wins. One thing is for sure, he's just a tad strong, and his striking looks like it's coming naturally. I think Mir's best chance is to pull guard and work submissions. It sounds like a death-wish, but he'll be better off doing that rather than getting corralled, slammed on his ass, and having to clear the cobwebs out. If Mir can turn this in to a grappling match on the floor with a clear head I think he wins. I'll quote GSP and say, "Technique beats strengd all da tym." Mir, Flying Omoplata, round 1.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 100 Predictions

I just flipped a coin. Brock gets him inside 3 and most likely the first. (Edit- I'm rooting hard for Frank Mir though.)

Lesanr by the 3rd, but most likely the first? How many sides are on that coin? :hysterical:

There you have 'em. The wrong picks. :)

I guess I can put money on everything opposite of what you picked....:evilg:

Seriously though, since my buddy Big Mike is on temp ban, I'm down for a sig bet if anyone wants one...I could possibly take Alves (even though I'm pulling for GSP) if anyone wants it!!!

Lesanr by the 3rd, but most likely the first? How many sides are on that coin? :hysterical:

:)

I just mean Lesnar early. I did flip a coin though.

Edit- You know what? It's time to meld mind and heart. I'm picking Frank Mir. Time to edit my predictions..

Edited by Chachie

I guess I can put money on everything opposite of what you picked....:evilg:

Seriously though, since my buddy Big Mike is on temp ban, I'm down for a sig bet if anyone wants one...I could possibly take Alves (even though I'm pulling for GSP) if anyone wants it!!!

I just got bullied for a year by SkinsOrlando. I'm gonna take some time off from wearing sigs. :)

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1909703,00.html

Imagine a pro quarterback with Peyton Manning's talent, playing up north in the CFL instead of the NFL. Or picture Tiger Woods shunning the PGA and all the major championships to star in the second-string Nationwide Tour. It may sound ridiculous, but the fast-growing, wildly popular sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) is grappling with such an unthinkable, uncomfortable scenario.

damn good article about the Fedor & the UFC. good to see a major publication like Time covering UFC, and more importantly getting it right.