Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Agree 100%, the fight being for an interim belt is a slap to Aldo.

Dana pretty much buried him on SportsCenter, **** like that is why I hate Dana.

God forbid Aldo choose not to fight because his rib is fractured. I'm sure he really enjoys missing out on a career payday.

Shaheen Al-Shatti

‏@shaunalshatti

Jose Aldo is out of UFC 189, Dana White announces on SportsCenter. McGregor vs. Chad Mendes is on for the interim title.

I see no reason for the interim title

I'm fairly certain Aldo is going to move up soon anyway. Money is going to destroy Conor. Just a better fighter all around.

I'm picking McGregor to beat Mendes

I just don't see how anyway could think that? I like Conor but he's basically beat up on nobodies. Mendes has wrecked everyone except for Aldo. I don't see any edge except for boxing that Conor has on Chad...

I just don't see how anyway could think that? I like Conor but he's basically beat up on nobodies. Mendes has wrecked everyone except for Aldo. I don't see any edge except for boxing that Conor has on Chad...

Conor has real power, I think he drops and finishes Mendes. Not saying it will be one way traffic, I fully expect Mendes to put Conor on his back a couple of times. I think people focus so much on Conor's mouth that they miss that he has the technique of an elite fighter.

• Like 1

Styles > Credentials. Having a better career than your opponent doesn't mean you'll beat them. Granted, stylistically it's a great matchup. Mendes is heavy handed and has that wrestling. And yes, he has the experience advantage.

I think Conor has supreme confidence and pretty awesome kickboxing. Some of his kicks are from the more traditional martial arts too. If he ever lands those spinning kicks they'll devastate a fool. He is strong as hell. Same with Mendes, but Conor is longer, has a lot more strikes in his arsenal. Like you said, better boxing too, very pretty punching.

I think Conor was going to beat Jose. Mendes brings a different skillset for sure, Conor might not be as ready for it as he'd like to be. Mendes has been training for Conor or Jose, two strikers, so he'll be game I'm sure.

If Mendes wins I won't be surprised, but I think Conor starts hitting him early and often. Will widdle him down and finish him. Kind of like Siver, albeit not as effortlessly.

Instances like this remind how much I hate just about everything about MMA except the actual fights.

The amount of people calling Aldo a coward or scared is absurd.

I don't think he's a coward and he's certainly not scared, he just can't stay healthy.

When you pull out of 5 fights in 4 years enough becomes enough. It's not fair to the rest of the guys in the division who do fight.

He beat most the contenders in the division, it's not like he has been out as long as Cain.

I think Aldo tkos Connor, I think Mendes beats Connor by submission or decision.

He beat most the contenders in the division, it's not like he has been out as long as Cain.

I think Aldo tkos Connor, I think Mendes beats Connor by submission or decision.

If you keep missing fights this is what's going to happen. It's not like he won't get an immediate title fight after this fight. It's just going to be versus Mendes after he wrecks Conor. Sucks too cause I wanted to watch Aldo-McGregor so bad.

It would have made more sense to give Edgar the fill-in spot.

its easier to sell Aldo/Edgar II than it is Aldo/Mendes III

Yep. Edgar in my opinion is pound for pound the best fighter in the sport. I've always felt that way. It always bothered me how badly he got cheated in the Henderson fights.

I like Conor but he's basically beat up on nobodies.

Dustin Poirier isn't a nobody.

Max Holloway isn't a nobody.

And even with the other guys he's faced. it's not like he just barely beat them, by the skin of his teeth. He did what great fighters do against lesser competition - he quickly and utterly destroyed them, in virtually every opportunity - something that other fighters aren't doing to those same opponents.

In any case, a fighter should not be completely discounted, based solely on the quality of his opponents.

I don't see any edge except for boxing that Conor has on Chad...

A boxing edge is pretty significant

I know I know but that's how I've always felt.

And even with the other guys he's faced. it's not like he just barely beat them, by the skin of his teeth. He did what great fighters do against lesser competition - he quickly and utterly destroyed them, in virtually every opportunity - something that other fighters aren't doing to those same opponents.

In any case, a fighter should not be completely discounted, based solely on the quality of his opponents.

It's not significant when you're fighting a world class wrestler.

Max was pretty young at the time of the fight, he is atill improving. Dustin was his best win.

UFC does a lot of good things for the sport of MMA, but there is also plenty of downside to their company.  Most casual fans can barely even distinguish the fact that MMA is the actual sport and UFC is just a company that features MMA.

Honestly, absent Macgregor's mouth, THIS is probably the fight that should have taken place anyway.  Mendes had a war with Aldo that he was likely winning until he faded a bit in the late rounds. MacGregor has proven to be a solid fighter but likely talked his way into a title fight 1-2 fights early.  

So you have one guy who has already proven he can hang with Aldo, and another guy that if he beats the guy who can hang with Aldo,(not to mention having his bell rung after the bell) will make the eventual fight with Aldo even more legitimate in the eyes of the fans.

MacGregor vs. Mendes is pretty much a win-win no matter who wins.  Just as long as Aldo is ready to go in December!

Edited by NoCalMike

It would have made more sense to give Edgar the fill-in spot.

its easier to sell Aldo/Edgar II than it is Aldo/Mendes III

Well that would be the logical choice. Lorenzo defended picking Mendes over Edgar by saying Mendes was ranked #1 at the time. Since then, new rankings have come out & Edgar is #1, lol.

My guess is McGregor said give me the stumpier of the 2 & is planning on his reach & distance to get him the W.

Interim belt is stupid, Aldo should fight by the end of the year, if he misses that one then do an interim belt.

If McGregor loses he could be the next Josh Grispi or Eric Koch. Aldo's injuries haven't prevented top contenders their shot at the belt, there is no log jam since Aldo has beaten all other decent ranked opponents.

• Like 1

Well that would be the logical choice. Lorenzo defended picking Mendes over Edgar by saying Mendes was ranked #1 at the time. Since then, new rankings have come out & Edgar is #1, lol.

Gotta love how they only pay attention to the rankings when its fits their cause.