Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

GREAT UFC on Fox card as usual. 

Mighty Mouse and Faber were incredible, nearly jumped off my couch at both finishes and both guys reminded me of why they're a few of my favorite fighters. 

Also, the Lauzon/Danzig and Barboza/Castillo fights were amazing as well. Very good night of fights. These free cards are starting to overshadow PPVs. Although something tells me the next PPV is going to be hard to overshadow. 

Ariel HelwaniVerified account

‏@arielhelwani

Dana says he talked to Nick Diaz tonight and offered him Carlos Condit. Diaz turned it down. Not sure what he'll do with Condit now.

Damn...I'm starting to wonder if Nick Diaz will ever really come back. :(

Nick is the Ricky Williams of MMA, lol. One of the most unique fighters of this generation. No TDD, wizard on the ground, wizard with his hands. Talks the most **** in the cage of any bigtime fighter. Hell of an entertainer, hope he returns soon. I think he will eventually.

I thought Diaz would return, but now I'm not so sure.

He gets an offer to redeem a loss, and by doing so would probably be vaulted into a title shot against someone not named GSP, and he turns it down? Sounds like a man content with whatever he's doing at the moment.

There also becomes the issue of diminishing returns if he waits too long to come back. Diaz isn't that old, but he has a lot of fights on his resume, even more if you count the ones we don't see or hear about.

I thought Diaz would return, but now I'm not so sure.

He gets an offer to redeem a loss, and by doing so would probably be vaulted into a title shot against someone not named GSP, and he turns it down? Sounds like a man content with whatever he's doing at the moment.

There also becomes the issue of diminishing returns if he waits too long to come back. Diaz isn't that old, but he has a lot of fights on his resume, even more if you count the ones we don't see or hear about.

I think everyone here knows how big a Diaz fan I am but I have to be honest- Losing that title bout to GSP crushed him. Absolutely took the wind out his career sails.

I think what Nick Diaz learned (and admittedly, I learned) is that he's not so awesome in the UFC. Both he and we saw his greatest run take place in Strikeforce where the competition simply isn't the same. 

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/antonio-bigfoot-silva-fails-post-fight-drug-test-stripped-of-50000-bonus/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Despite gaining approval for the use of testosterone replacement therapy, Antonio Silva still failed his post-fight drug test following a “Fight of the Year” candidate against Mark Hunt in the headliner of UFC Fight Night 33.

MMAjunkie learned of the failure through multiple sources close to the event, which took place Dec. 7 at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Brisbane, Australia, and was regulated by the promotion. UFC officials have since confirmed the failed screen, which indicated an elevated testosterone level.

“Silva is on a medically approved regimen of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), and had been in compliance with therapeutic guidelines on all pre-fight tests performed prior to the event,” a statement issued by a UFC rep read. “The results of his test on the day of the event indicated a level of testosterone outside of allowable limit. Silva has been informed that the elevated testosterone level is a violation of the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy and his Promotional Agreement with Zuffa.”

About that rematch.........

Edited by StillUnknown

That's not really my forte', but I don't think there is anything to "worry" about, as it seems that Dana and Lorenzo have their hearts fully in to where they're trying to take the UFC.

There is practically an event every week, and they aren't losing money. Fox numbers are low, ppv numbers are down, and I still don't see anything changing. Not worried at all, I expect even more UFC events next year.

As for reasons, I'd say #1 is that the stars of the golden age are gone. Chuck, Brock, Kimbo...Anderson was the last one left, and he just got taken down from God status. Those fighters were the most popular when MMA became the "in" thing to like. Now the UFC is being invaded by well rounded fighters. There's so many, it's hard to remember who is who if you aren't a big fan. It's more complex now, in alot of ways. Which with anything, demands more of a taste to enjoy. This isn't guy with mohawk beating up blonde haired bully, it's not pro wrestler becomes MMA champion, it's not street fighter against martial artists -- it's a tougher sport to follow. If you love it though, the sport has never been better to follow than right now. Craziest year of fighting ever.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

I think the increasing amount of free cards are hurting their PPV numbers. UFC PPV's don't have that "must see" vibe like they did even a couple of years ago. With so many cards on television, ppv cards are being watered down.

I still watch them all because I'm a combat sports junkie, but I can easily see why a casual fan would pass on buying UFC PPV's right now.

Edited by StillUnknown

I think the increasing amount of free cards are hurting their PPV numbers. UFC PPV's don't have that "must see" vibe like they did even a couple of years ago. With so many cards on television, ppv cards are being watered down.

I still watch them all because I'm a combat sports junkie, but I can easily see why a casual fan would pass on buying UFC PPV's right now.

I have definitely been far choosier about which cards I buy. I also think we can see the casual attitude (for lack of a better phrase) developing toward the frequency of UFC events right here in this thread.

Remember how excited we all were for every single event? Now we just yawn and make our picks because these things happen every two weeks or more. 

I'm like you, SU. I still watch every event because we can stream them but I only purchase the very best cards.

I think Nick knows the writing is on the wall for him and his style.  At this stage in his career he isn't likely going to be able to learn enough to defend the high level wrestlers/grapplers, and in UFC even if they can't finish you, they will basically win every fight.

Diaz made his name outside of the UFC mostly, and agree with it or night, the judging style was a lot different, especially in his PRIDE fights. He comes from the "damage done" school of thought, where a wrestler getting takedowns doesn't rack up a bunch of points, where just being in the top position doesn't mean winning rounds.  Where the disciplines are look at equally and a BJJ being on the bottom of a wrestlers doesn't automatically spell doom unless actual damage is being done.

The UFC is a totally different animal, and I think Nick is too late in his career to make the necessary adjustments.  Nate however, I think you see is putting the time in and adjusting to the UFC.

The UFC is a totally different animal, and I think Nick is too late in his career to make the necessary adjustments.  Nate however, I think you see is putting the time in and adjusting to the UFC.

Totally agree about Nick but I think Nate is ultimately the same except he can't handle great strikers. 

Pretty hyped for tomorrow.

I have, Silva, Rousey, & Barnett.

I have no idea what to make of Uriah Hall vs. Leben or how that fight even got made, did Hall call out Leben or something?  This is the type of fight you give to a young fighter on the rise who needs to add a veteran name to his list of victories, but Hall is not even there yet.

Hall better be ready to show his heart is into fighting or he could get messed up.  For all the small signs he has shown of having raw talent, he often gives off the vibe that he doesn't want to put in the work to become elite.

I'm pumped too, although I thought this card was a bit more stacked from top to bottom. Any fights get cancelled over the past few months?

I have Weidman, Rousey and Browne.

Barnett is the MMA technician, but Browne is one of those wild card type fighters who likes to **** your parlays up, one way or the other. Think he'll land the bomb.

I have no idea what to make of Uriah Hall vs. Leben or how that fight even got made, did Hall call out Leben or something?  This is the type of fight you give to a young fighter on the rise who needs to add a veteran name to his list of victories, but Hall is not even there yet.

Hall better be ready to show his heart is into fighting or he could get messed up.  For all the small signs he has shown of having raw talent, he often gives off the vibe that he doesn't want to put in the work to become elite.

I think Dana is feeding Uriah Hall a slow plodder so he can re-instill some confidence in him. Chris will have to get lucky with a shot tonight because Hall will hit and run until Leebs gets winded (which he will) and then end it. Leben's best chance is to get it to the mat but I wonder if he has enough gas to even make that work.

I always, always root for the Crippler but after his last couple fights, I suspect he's seen his best days. I hope he's found a new enthusiasm for the sport because he's given us some great bouts. I'd love to see another one of his signature knockouts from the edge of unconsciousness.  :)

Beyond that I have it like this-

Silva by decision: Spider won't play opossum tonight and I suspect he'll use those leg kicks again, which were starting to work last time. All he has to do is keep this fight standing and he'll outpoint Chris. Maybe even get a TKO. However it ends, he's not letting Weidman get inside tonight.

Rousey by armbar: I heart Miesha Tate but she doesn't seem to win the big fight. I also think she's just not mean enough to overcome Rhonda's anger.

Rousey is like early Mike Tyson. Vicious, focused, and well-schooled. Besides, until someone gets out of that armbar there's no reason to pick against it. (Go Miesha though.)

Browne over Barnett by decision: I think Josh will do just enough in the grappling game to keep Travis frustrated that he can't get the finish. 

Weidman by (T)KO: from ground n pound most likely. Rooting hard for Anderson, but I don't like that fact that he's talking about retirement. Sounds like he already has one foot out the cage. I think this fight plays closer to the first round of the first fight. Weidman will get a takedown or two and do enough damage to get a stoppage.

Rousey by armbar: Easiest pick of the night. Lost in all the pre-fight hype is that Tate lost her last fight to Zigano (making her the 4th fighter this year to receive a title shot following a loss) and didn't look that good during the fight. She probably won't stop Rousey from taking her down and even if she could, her advantage in striking is minimal at best.

Barnett by submission: Browne could use his speed and movement and try to attack Barnett from the outside, but I'm thinking that Barnett rushes him against the cage, gets a clinch takedown, and works for the submission from there. Not a Barnett fan at all because of the fact that he's blatantly used steroids on multiple occasions, so I would really like to see Browne score the win.

Jim Miller by submission: Miller needs a win bad, if he can't get past Camoes, he's in more trouble than I thought.

Uriah Hall by (T)KO: Leben looked like a zombie in his last fight. Hall needs to win and do so in impressive fashion to avoid being cut. Leben was never fast and he's even slower now, Hall should be able to see everything coming and counter Leben enough to drop and finish him. Leben really looked terrible his last fight, like all the fights have caught up to him, I really hope he escapes tonight with not much more damage.