Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

JDS vs. Cain will be a great title fight.

I got a bit annoyed with Rogan bringing up Carwin's will to escape the first round. It really had nothing to do with anything he did, it had to do with Herb Dean simply refusing to stop it while he got his face beat in without really much defense.

He kept the presence of mind to get his forearm up and show the ref he was conscious despite being trapped and pounded. I'd have stopped it but Shane proved a lot tonight in a one-sided loss.

He kept the presence of mind to get his forearm up and show the ref he was conscious despite being trapped and pounded. I'd have stopped it but Shane proved a lot tonight in a one-sided loss.

Well, yeah it was a natural human response to put your hand in front of your face while someone is beating you senseless. He wasn't doing anything to escape the punches though.

Don't get me wrong, he's amazingly tough and showed heart, but it should have obviously been ended.

The fight figuratively did end then, the rest of it was all a show for JDS. There was a clear 4 or 5 second span during that barrage of punches where I was sure it would be over at any time, they were landing pretty much on his face over and over again.

Well, yeah it was a natural human response to put your hand in front of your face while someone is beating you senseless. He wasn't doing anything to escape the punches though.

Don't get me wrong, he's amazingly tough and showed heart, but it should have obviously been ended.

FYI you don't have to do anything to escape in the UFC now or ever. You have to be able to intelligently defend and show that you aren't KO'd. The arm movement and the fact he wasn't wobbled does both. Fights are stopped the the defending fighter stops moving ENTIRELY typically unless a ref feels the downed fighter has taken a hit that has shaken him.

If you had to escape BJ Penn would never have made it out of GSP 2 or round three of his fight against Fitch. Both times he was pinned down and beaten while all he could do was sit there and take it. The position isn't of any import, only that the fighters head is clear and he's attempting to defend.

Edited by Destino

Florian looked like Kenny Florian to me, he is good, but never has been or will be elite. If he fights like he did on this card when he fights Aldo he is going home a 3 time title loser.

As for JDS he looked very impressive, and he has imporved greatly. If he is ever going to be Champion this is the time, Cain is coming off an injury and as we know cage rust is a very real thing and JDS is looking unbeatable and getting better everytime out.

I thought Florian looked better at 145, but there's no way he's beating Jose Aldo. He's going to be the Buffalo Bills of MMA.

Yep, and as a fan of his, I hate that. But I have come to terms with it.

He is a very good fighter, and Kenny has worked very hard to get where he is. But guys like Aldo, and previously Penn, are just at another level.

Finally got around to watching 131 (I somehow managed to avoid all spoilers):

-Vagner Rocha had no business in the cage with Cerrone, he looked about 2 or 3 levels below what should be UFC quality.

-:ols: @ that judged who scored 30-27 for Munoz. I'd laugh more, but its just sad really. The fight itself was great, should've got FOTN over the HW scrap between Herman and the other dude. I scored it for Maia, but I can't argue with 29-28 score for Munoz.

I thought Florian looked better at 145, but there's no way he's beating Jose Aldo. He's going to be the Buffalo Bills of MMA.

-that about perfectly sums up KenFlo. I almost hope he beats Aldo though, I'm not trying to see him look like Christian Bale in the Machinist if he has to drop to 135 to win a title.

-JDS did pretty much what I expected minus a finish. His hands will always be a problem for any HW that can't put him on his back and keep him there. Against Cain though, he would be wise to vary his striking as it would serve to make his boxing even more effective. If Cain's not fully recovered, I think JDS smashes him. If Cain is 100%, I would slight favor Cain, although I'd be pulling for JDS.

-On a sidenote, Mike Goldberg was more annoying than usual tonight. I'm pretty certain he's kept around only for event placement spots. He says the most basic of things, yet still manages to be completely wrong about so much.

Edited by StillUnknown

The fight figuratively did end then, the rest of it was all a show for JDS. There was a clear 4 or 5 second span during that barrage of punches where I was sure it would be over at any time, they were landing pretty much on his face over and over again.

Carwin came inches from pulling what Anderson Silva pulled on Chael Sonnen. If that fight lasted another 5-10 seconds, Carwin may have beaten JDS with that choke hold.

That said, I have even greater respect for JDS bravely going for multiple takedowns at the end, that could have put him in the line of fire of a crushing Carwin blow.

He could have danced around for the last minute, and played defense and played not to lose, but he got agressive at a time that you would definitely not expect him too.

I was very surprised Carwin did not even attempt to unleash a flurry at the end to go for a last-minute knockout - he must have been extremely tired, or hurt too much, or too blind from all that blood in his eyes.

Horrible non stoppage there by Herb.

This should be over.

Good Lord, this should be over.
.geez thought that was over.

Like Dana White said - the 2nd & 3rd round proved that theory to be wrong. Even the Doctor examined him (albeit later) and said he was ok to continue.

Edited by Mickalino

Strikeforce this week, WerDOOM gonna own his son Overeem. Yep.

Overeem is going to throw Werdum in the clinch like his son. That Muay Thai black belt that Werdum just got isn't going to help either. If there were actually belts in Muay Thai Overeem would be a 6th degree black belt. :D