Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

You think Carwin's endurance has improved ? He still hasn't gone 2 full rounds yet.

Just trying to put pieces together. Fighters will change their regiments after learning hard lessons. This is a Carwin that weighs 20 pounds lighter, totally heartbroken from what happened against Lesnar. He more or less admitted that he changed his training and diet up because of that legendary gas out. That would drive a person insane, give them nightmares, I'd change my routine up as well. Like a madman.

On top of that, I'm anticipating Greg Jackson to have Shane attack JDS where he's at his weakest, which is in the wrestling aspect. If he is successful at getting JDS down, he'll have the lesson he learned against Brock in his mind. Pace, control, throw strikes here and there, gtfo. These guys are obviously awesome punchers, the chances of there being a first round KO are good. I just think we may see a new Shane Carwin on Saturday.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Do you think he has a new personality, as well ? To replace the old one, likened to a carpet burn ?

It's a bit late in the game to change his personality and have it seem genuine. I'd rather him be the boring dude that he is than to see him put on a front.

It's a bit late in the game to change his personality and have it seem genuine. I'd rather him be the boring dude that he is than to see him put on a front.

I was thinking he could use a telepromptor and have Chael Sonnen be the guy that feeds him the lines, since Chael is so good at it, and unemployed at the time

Do you think he has a new personality, as well ? To replace the old one, likened to a carpet burn ?

Personality in the octagon? That's what I'm questioning. Moments like that in life change people. Maybe he won't go out there thinking that he'll just punch through everything, that approach will play in to JDS' main strength.

Personality in the octagon? That's what I'm questioning. Moments like that in life change people. Maybe he won't go out there thinking that he'll just punch through everything, that approach will play in to JDS' main strength.

Well, we know that Shane has rocks for fists, so we're about to find out if he has rocks for brains, as well.....if he shows he hasn't learned from the last fight, I guess we'll know his brains and fists are made from the same material.

Chael also has comedic timing, that can't be taught.

True, you could see that especially in his post-fight conferences, since those were obviously un-rehearsed.

http://mmaweekly.com/alistair-overeem-wants-to-win-the-strikeforce-grand-prix-then-face-the-ufc-heavyweight-champion

Alistair Overeem wants to see the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix winner against UFC champion Cain Velasquez to unify the titles and see who truly is No. 1.

UFC vs. Strikeforce. Champion vs. champion.

The ‘business as usual’ model came crashing to a halt last week with the announcement that UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre would face Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz this October at UFC 137.

Now, more Strikeforce fighters are hoping for a similar unification of the titles, and that includes heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem.

Currently the reigning Strikeforce king as well as the K-1 Grand Prix champion, Overeem has every intention of making the challenge to face the best heavyweigh in the UFC if he’s successful in navigating through the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix he’s currently competing in.

“That definitely is my plan, but let’s take it one step at a time,” Overeem said on Tuesday about unifying the titles. “I’m taking this fight very serious, if you look at both of our papers, this is a very exciting fight. Fabricio has been incredible the last couple years, and me myself I’ve not been sitting still. It’s going to be an incredible fight.”

Are they ever going to do Anderson SIlva vs GSP? I've been waiting for this fight for years now.

There's been a ton of discussion on that in this thread already I'm pretty sure, if you wanna backread to the post GSP/Shields PPV talk. GSP doesn't sound like he wants it because it'll be a complete change of his life and fighting style to move up a weight class. Silva imo doesn't give a **** and will fight GSP if it comes to that. I don't think we will ever see a Silva vs GSP fight honestly, especially if Nick Diaz gives GSP a good fight or beats him. Maybe by the end of this year, another WW will have established himself as well, or another MW establishes himself as a legit opponent to Anderson. Looking into the future, I don't see anyone doing that though.

Edited by styx491

Dana said that if they beat Okami/Diaz, then he's going to push for it. He said he didn't think it was fair to Okami to not give him the title shot. We'll see what happens though. After Diaz, there aren't really any exciting fights left for GSP at WW, and Vitor was really the last interesting matchup at MW for Anderson, unless they bring over Jacare or something like that.

UFC 131 will be the first UFC event I've missed in a very long time

I'll be in NY this weekend with an obligation that wont allow me time to watch it.

going to have avoid all my usual web spots to avoid being spoiled until I can download the event sunday night :mad:

That's not a prediction, 98. That's a bet-hedge. :)

:D

UFC 131 will be the first UFC event I've missed in a very long time

I'll be in NY this weekend with an obligation that wont allow me time to watch it.

going to have avoid all my usual web spots to avoid being spoiled until I can download the event sunday night :mad:

That happened to me for 130. I tried to resist the urge but I ended up looking at Sherdog's play-by-play on my phone all night.

Just trying to put pieces together. Fighters will change their regiments after learning hard lessons. This is a Carwin that weighs 20 pounds lighter, totally heartbroken from what happened against Lesnar. He more or less admitted that he changed his training and diet up because of that legendary gas out. That would drive a person insane, give them nightmares, I'd change my routine up as well. Like a madman.

On top of that, I'm anticipating Greg Jackson to have Shane attack JDS where he's at his weakest, which is in the wrestling aspect. If he is successful at getting JDS down, he'll have the lesson he learned against Brock in his mind. Pace, control, throw strikes here and there, gtfo. These guys are obviously awesome punchers, the chances of there being a first round KO are good. I just think we may see a new Shane Carwin on Saturday.

this is what i was thinking. because of what happened in the last fight, why in the world would carwin stick with the same strategy for training? of course he is going to train so that he doesn't have that happen again.

this is what i was thinking. because of what happened in the last fight, why in the world would carwin stick with the same strategy for training? of course he is going to train so that he doesn't have that happen again.

I'm not a believer that the time between one fight and another is enough for a hulking brute smasher to completely change as a fighter. Fear, adrenaline, and maybe even taking a hard shot are big contributors to panic and gas. I'm not predicting anything but I admit to being skeptical that Carwin will suddenly (in ONE training camp) become an endurance-based combatant.

I'm not a believer that the time between one fight and another is enough for a hulking brute smasher to completely change as a fighter. Fear, adrenaline, and maybe even taking a hard shot are big contributors to panic and gas. I'm not predicting anything but I admit to being skeptical that Carwin will suddenly (in ONE training camp) become an endurance-based combatant.

but to be fair its been almost a year. i don't think he's changed his style, but a year is a long time to get that cardio up. i'm not sure what fear or hard shot you are talking about though. lesnar didn't get hardly any punches on carwin. in fact carwin was destroying him and then his body siezed up from lack of conditioning. i don't even think lesnar went in to punch carwin, he knew something was up. took carwin down, changed position, locked in the arm triangle, and out.

but to be fair its been almost a year. i don't think he's changed his style, but a year is a long time to get that cardio up. i'm not sure what fear or hard shot you are talking about though. lesnar didn't get hardly any punches on carwin. in fact carwin was destroying him and then his body siezed up from lack of conditioning. i don't even think lesnar went in to punch carwin, he knew something was up. took carwin down, changed position, locked in the arm triangle, and out.

I had forgotten that he's had almost a full year but I still think it will take at least 2 fights to truly change his mental make-up (and conditioning) as a fighter. The fear I'm talking about is the fear that any fighter has when the opening bell (or horn) sounds. I'm not saying he's "scared" of his opponents. I'm saying fear is definitely a factor for anyone.

Like I said before though... I'm not calling him a perpetual gasser but I do need to see him do anything positive whatsoever with a 2nd round before I buy into his "changed fighter" hype. He told the world he was training for multiple rounds in his camp for the Lesnar fight. We saw what happened there. I believe he trained for it but that was practice. Let's see him finish a 2nd round in a real fight scenario.

(He could deck JDS with a solid shot in the first round and prove nothing at all. Or, he could hurt JDS and show us that he's changed his mental make-up by not wasting so much energy trying to finish like he did with Brock.)

Edited by Chachie

Shane is the one round machine, that's the obvious, I'm just thinking a little deeper, warranted or not. I could very well be reading between the lines incorrectly, but I think Carwin has learned from his mistake and will not gas out. Learning from that does not require a complete mental transformation. Jackson preaches patience in top control, and I think Dos Santos' bottom game is good under the Nog brothers (Sorry Sonnen). I can see Carwin playing it a lot safer after what happened, that's all.

I was going to take Dos Santos by TKO in the 2nd, but I guess I've talked myself in to rolling the dice. This will be the first time I've rooted for a decision, blah. Well, besides in Chuck's last fights. And now that we've had this extended conversation, Carwin will gas out in the first and lose via whatever you think will happen, Chachie. If Carwin does win a decision there should be a space in your sig for something (of my choice). :)