Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I don't get why people would want to see Silva vs GSP. GSP would just try to lay on top of him for 5 rounds. Ill rather see Diaz vs GSP.

Why then GSP would lay on Diaz for 5 rounds. GSP fights and gameplans to win even if its boring I knew this fight would stay standing. The Serra fight caused GSP to fight this way he does'nt take chances anymore and just fights to win.

GSP was very worried about shields strength advantage and his face showed why. Speed and skill is hard to overcome though. GSP would be killed by silva. So would shields

I can't understand why people refuse to accept this. St. Pierre's striking is accurate but has no real power to threaten Silva. It doesn't mean GSP isn't great. It just means that Silva walks around as a heavyweight. It would be unfair to force Georges into the cage with him. It's a bad move for GSP to make. His "CAH-rir" is top notch and there's no need to prove something he shouldn't have to.

Besides the Main Event, this card was pretty much the ****, best I can remember in a long time. Aldo/Hominik was amazing easily FOTY so far. I was so sure the fight would get stopped when McCarthy called time, and then again after the round, but Hominik fought on and almost won the damn fight himself. I thought I might have been hearing things but I see in this thread it was confirmed 50-43 was an actual score from a judge? WTF? Seriously.

Machida's Crane kick was epic. Made me think immediately, "Point Larusso.....WINNER" And Couture handing him a big fat trophy "You're all right Larusso"

GSP vs. Shields. Well. What can I say, almost pretty much what I expected. The weird thing, it seems like Greg Jackson is so good at game planning, combined with GSP's willingness to always stick with what is working that it translates GSP never going outside of his comfort zone to try and actually end the fight. I was hoping Shields would try and push the fight more, instead it looked more like Kos all over again where Shields would just stand out there in GSP's range and take jabs, trying to time them. One thing that baffled me was whenever Shields had a hold of GSP's leg,(and there was a handful of times) why wasn't he using one of his free legs to sweep GSP? I didn't really see GSP doing anything in his defense that was preventing Shields from throwing a sweep, at least ATTEMPT a damn sweep in that situation. But nope, not once.

I must say though, if a guy like Shields and his uninspiring standup game can touch up GSP's face like that, imagine what Anderson Silva would do if he made contact. Did everyone listen to GSP post-fight? Either dude is being super-coy, here or he is basically saying again he wants no part of Anderson Silva and/or 185lb division as a whole. If there was anytime to declare it, it was right there, Rogan even laid out the path and GSP was basically like "umm....naw...but thanks for flattering me"

I agree with the sentiment here, that GSP might wreck Nick Diaz, but I think Nick Diaz in the process will actually be the first person in years to PRESS THE DAMN FIGHT, and move forward, not just stand six feet away and try and throw jabs. Nick might get taken down and GNP'd out for his efforts, but at least it would save us from another five rounds of what we just saw.

GSP is the champ, so you can kind of make the argument that he isn't going to do anything to put his belt in jeopardy, however his opponents seem to really lack any sense of urgency themselves as well when fighting him, especially after it has to be obvious even to them they are down 0 rounds to 2/3......You'd think there would be a Plan B,C,D,E etc....especially in a title fight. Shields came out every round and seemingly just did the same thing, waiting for GSP to "make a mistake"

Assuming GSP isn't fighting Silva, and Nick Diaz is not up next. What compelling fight is there for GSP next at 170?

I'm not gonna be as excited for the next GSP fight unless it's Nate Diaz (and even then, probably not all that excited). The whole card was incredible up until the main, and then it halted to a stop. All that talk by Shields about it being an "all out war" was for nothing like usual. I honestly expected a much better gameplan by Shields considering his teammates and the opportunity/timing of the whole thing.

Also, any gif's of the spinning backfist knockout? Up until the Machida kick, that was definitely KOTN.

Edited by styx491

man that card was looking bad for the canucks until the mcdonald boys, rory & jason (no relation) came out with big wins. Pierson looked bad, getting knocked out like that by a guy who took the fight on 2 weeks notice, but I did not expect that from Rory in the win over Diaz, I can't wait to see who Rory fights next.

Aldo did what I thought he would do, but that 5th from Hominick was a nice suprise. I think Mark showed he can contend, just not against Aldo who is on aother level, I don't think anyone can beat him.

As for GSP, I think he showed that he does not belong in the same conversation as Aldo & Silva as best P4P. Great Champion, smart fighter and one of the best but just not at the same dominate level as the two Brazilians. Aldo won 4 rounds in convincing fashion, GSP barley pointed his way to a victory, as he always has done. He gets his points and plays it safe which still makes him a winner but GSP fights not to lose and gets praised for it, yet if Anderson plays it safe he gets crucified, makes no sense to me.

I know I will not buy a GSP PPV unless there are other fights I want to see on that card really bad. I predict GSP's next fight with either a) have another title fight on the same card or B) be the Silva fight becasue I think Dana is does not want the bad press of another snoozer GSP main event.

man that card was looking bad for the canucks until the mcdonald boys, rory & jason (no relation) came out with big wins. Pierson looked bad, getting knocked out like that by a guy who took the fight on 2 weeks notice, but I did not expect that from Rory in the win over Diaz, I can't wait to see who Rory fights next.

Aldo did what I thought he would do, but that 5th from Hominick was a nice suprise. I think Mark showed he can contend, just not against Aldo who is on aother level, I don't think anyone can beat him.

As for GSP, I think he showed that he does not belong in the same conversation as Aldo & Silva as best P4P. Great Champion, smart fighter and one of the best but just not at the same dominate level as the two Brazilians. Aldo won 4 rounds in convincing fashion, GSP barley pointed his way to a victory, as he always has done. He gets his points and plays it safe which still makes him a winner but GSP fights not to lose and gets praised for it, yet if Anderson plays it safe he gets crucified, makes no sense to me.

I know I will not buy a GSP PPV unless there are other fights I want to see on that card really bad. I predict GSP's next fight with either a) have another title fight on the same card or B) be the Silva fight becasue I think Dana is does not want the bad press of another snoozer GSP main event.

I don't think you can put Aldo above GSP in p4p quite yet. The fact is, the FW division is fleshing itself out, we really don't have a handle on who the best fighters are. Aldo is dominant, but GSP has fought and destroyed better fighters comparatively. I never had GSP above Anderson, so I agree that Anderson is top dog p4p.

I'm not gonna be as excited for the next GSP fight unless it's Nate Diaz (and even then, probably not all that excited). The whole card was incredible up until the main, and then it halted to a stop. All that talk by Shields about it being an "all out war" was for nothing like usual. I honestly expected a much better gameplan by Shields considering his teammates and the opportunity/timing of the whole thing.

Also, any gif's of the spinning backfist knockout? Up until the Machida kick, that was definitely KOTN.

in6JyO.gif

Silva has won his share of fights off his back.

He's won one fight off his back and it was the Sonnen fight. He KO'd Okami off his back but was DQ'd thanks to the unified rules.

GSP/Silva would go exactly like the Sonnen fight. Silva doesn't have the defensive wrestling to shake off GSP's shots and there's no way GSP is going to stand with him. Same with Nick Diaz. There's no way GSP is going to stand and box with him but it would be a more exciting fight IMO, because Diaz has a better guard than Silva, especially in MMA.

I came away less impressed by Aldo then you did. A better fighter would have finished him in the 5th when he basically just laid down and gambled on being about to defend strikes. He landed shots flush all night and was unable to finish, this is NOT a good thing.

It looks to me like you are confusing "entertainment" with "dominance". To claim GSP barely pointed out a victor and then to add "as he always has done" is frankly ridiculous. GSP's fights are some of the most lopsided in all of MMA.

Both of the fighters last night had gameplans that went right out the window. GSP expected a better stand up advantage than he found waiting for him in the ring. Losing vision in his left eye screwed his game plan. Shield expected GSP to clinch and wrestle and found a fighter intent on doing neither. He even asked his corner if he should pull guard. As a result you got a fight that wasn't very entertaining. What I don't understand however is why tremendous defense is referred to as "playing it safe" as if avoiding damage from a MMA legend is somehow a simple matter of choice. That's crazy if you think about it. Again entertainment is not dominance.

You mention Silva. Silva refused to go to the ground with Maia and his next fight against a roided up Sonnen showed you why. The p4p champ has a glaring hole in his game that had Sonnen not suffered a brain lapse in round 5 would have cost him his belt. A last second sub is more fun but it's not where near a dominating performance.

He's won one fight off his back and it was the Sonnen fight. He KO'd Okami off his back but was DQ'd thanks to the unified rules.

GSP/Silva would go exactly like the Sonnen fight. Silva doesn't have the defensive wrestling to shake off GSP's shots and there's no way GSP is going to stand with him. Same with Nick Diaz. There's no way GSP is going to stand and box with him but it would be a more exciting fight IMO, because Diaz has a better guard than Silva, especially in MMA.

Travis Lutter was a triangle wasn't it? Just checked fightfinder and it says "submission -elbows" Could have sworn that was a triangle.

GSP might not want to stand with Silva, but that isn't just up to GSP. I think Silva keeps the fight standing enough to get the KO. GSP does not take punches well, hard to imagine him taking a knee through the nose well either.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 12:58 PM ----------

16aa9l0.jpg

Ufc should sign Hioki only viable opposition for Aldo.

while I too would like to see Hioki in the UFC, there are challengers at 145 for Aldo now. Dana said in the post fight, Mendes will probably get the next shot at UFC 133, since the winner of Florian/Nunes probably won't be ready by then.

then you have to take into account a number of current 155lb'ers who won't mind dropping weight since the FW's are now in the UFC

Silva got Lutter with elbow strikes to the top of the head while holding him in a triangle. Having watched the fight it appeared to me IIRC that he tapped from the pain of strikes more than from the sub.

Lutter said in an interview after the fight, he tapped due to the choke

Edited by StillUnknown

Lutter said in an interview after the fight, he tapped due to the choke
I know but you have to also consider that tapping due to strikes is seriously frowned upon. Like I said watching it, it looked like the strikes and his inability to stop them made up his mind. :D

I know but you have to also consider that tapping due to strikes is seriously frowned upon. Like I said watching it, it looked like the strikes and his inability to stop them made up his mind. :D

Kinda makes you wonder why more fighters don't utilize elbows from the bottom. Ben Henderson, Florian, and a couple others use them regularly from the bottom, but you would think it would be more widespread than that. If nothing else, it gives the impression to the judges that you're doing something off your back instead of just allowing your opponent to stay on top.