Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

WOW never seen so many first round finishes or finishes period in my life.......UFC is still the top promotion but anyone who thinks Strikeforce cant or doesnt put on a good card they are crazy....Guys in the UFC tend to fight to safe (scared to lose hence get cut) NO ONE was scared to fight on this card every fight guys came out with bad intentions and trying to win....good card....Can't wait for the rest of the tourny.

Wow his eye looks bad but if an athletic commission let Koscheck and Marcus Davis finish with their busted eyes, I'm not sure why this one didn't continue. Kind of questionable that the commentators mentioned it being called by the doctors, then the doctors called it and the fighters didn't find out for another few minutes and there was confusion, then they finally called it.

Wow, Fedor is my all-time favorite fighter and I hate to see him go, but his legacy is still pretty strong at this point, better to go out on top.

still got shogun!!!

i still think fedor could beat a lot of guys but too much size given up tonight.

Yeah the size advantage was noticeable, but Fedor looked like he's lost a step as well. Just didn't seem as quick and explosive as he has been in the past. Plus, there are a lot more gigantic guys with talent than there were back in the Pride days.

It's sad to see some of the old school beasts of Pride aging but it happens to every athlete (unless you start fighting in your mid 30s like Couture). I'd much rather see guys like Fedor and Nog retire before they lose any more fights. At least their legacies won't be tarnished like Cro-Cops or Wandy's might be.

Still I gotta give credit to Fedor for surviving that second round, I really wanted to see a third round because Bigfoot seemed to get tired that round.

Same here. He was tired and leaning against the cage. Fedor definitely deserves credit for not tapping and managing to survive the ground and pound in the second round. I feel like if a guy can survive like that, he deserves another round. It's funny how in the UFC the commentators start bashing the doctors if they look like they're thinking of stopping a fight, but in Strikeforce they act like they want the fight stopped.

It's safe to say guys who were peaking in 2005/06, might be older and slower in 2011. Just a fact of nature and life.

If M1 is as horrendous to deal with as we have heard, this might actually be a good thing for Strikeforce, as Fedor was never a long term solution for them, but a mere huge name to get them attention in the short term while they try and build up their roster.

As a Fedor fan over the years, and fan of the fighters overall, I really hope if he is having doubts, or lack of motivation, he just retires. Nothing worse than seeing guys who were once elite, not be able to pull the trigger when it is time, and then go on to become nearly .500 fighters. His legacy is cemented, IMO. Nothing ahead can tarnish the run he had. Same with guys like GSP and A. Silva , BJ Penn, etc etc

One thing I will point out though is, Silva was said to be about 285 at bell time, while Fedor was probably struggling to get up to 230. 55lb weight disadvantage is pretty damn ridiculous and it gives a good explanation as to why Fedor looks like he is in there to throw bombs now, as opposed to looking like the well rounded fighter he was before. What is he going to do with a guy that big on top of him? He was escaping submissions and surviving, but it is pretty hard to give up that much weight.

Also, I kind of wish they would have at least let Fedor come out for the third round and give it a shot. If it was obvious he couldn't do anything with the eye like that, then stop it, but it's the final round, let him fight if he feels he can. Fedor has been historically known for taking a lot of punishment and then pulling the fight out late.

Not really MAD about the stoppage, I would just say it was slightly questionable only because it was the final round. If it had only been round 2, or round 3 of a 5 round fight, I can see why you don't want to worry about him taking blows to the eye for 2 more rounds.

Thanks for the memories Fedor.

Dana being Dana. Kind of childish but he never misses an opportunity to kick someone when they are down. It's not like you saw Coker take to twitter after Brock's embarrassing showing against Cain and rant about how overrated Brock was and how the media did this/that.

As of right now Fedor will go down as best MMA HW of all time, no other heavyweight has had nearly the run he had in his prime. It's just over, that's all. It happens to every fighter. Just because the guy is not what he used to be, doesn't take away from what he accomplished. Dana could be gracious and respect what Fedor has done to bring international attention to the sport, show a little professional courtesy to a fighter who had one of the best runs in the sport ever. Or he can act like msgboard fodder and feed the troll some more.

Edited by NoCalMike

Wow his eye looks bad but if an athletic commission let Koscheck and Marcus Davis finish with their busted eyes, I'm not sure why this one didn't continue. Kind of questionable that the commentators mentioned it being called by the doctors, then the doctors called it and the fighters didn't find out for another few minutes and there was confusion, then they finally called it.

Wow, Fedor is my all-time favorite fighter and I hate to see him go, but his legacy is still pretty strong at this point, better to go out on top.

Good points on the Koschek and Davis fights. Makes me wonder exactly how it went down last night. Especially with the worst ref in the business over seeing it.

The production value in Strikeforce is not only not in the same ballpark as the UFC, they aren't even in the same league. When everything was going down the cameras weren't on the right guys, the announcers didn't know what was going, the fighters didn't know, the crowd didn't know... If the ref is waving his arms, you show it. If the doctor is looking at a fighter, you show it. Then there was all those times when no one was talking then the same anouncer would start and stop and start again. Then the graphic would pop up and someone would scramble to explain it. Really shotty. I want to compare it to the WWF vs. ECW back in the 90s, but that would be an insult to ECW.

Great night of fights though. Fedor really impressed me actually. Unfortunately I had the fight spoiled for me by someone telling me "Fedor sucks, just got owned" and then a pic of his face. So I watched the fight a little differently then I would have. Giving up that much weight to a very good fighter can get you in trouble. Fedor withstood everything Silva threw at him and was ready for the 3rd before the fight was stopped. Too bad about his eye getting shut. Would have loved to see another round. Also, I've always said Fedor is a natural 205er if he wanted to be. He easily has 10lbs to lose and the rest is an easy cut. Thats just not his style though and that's one of the reasons he is so great.

I hope he fights some more. I bet his contract says he is the first alternate if someone gets hurt. Vladim is probably putting in a call to Tanya Harding's peeps as we speak.

Dana is being a douche with his twitter, but it is pretty funny. He has gotten so much shot from the Fedor fans that he has the right to rub it in a little. It isn't the right thing to do, but I don't blame him too much. He can trash Fedor's recent fights all he wants. It will never take away from the fact that during his awesome run the UFC's heavyweight champs were Tim Sylvia and Arlovski.

And this makes me much more confident in my pick of Josh Barnett to win this thing. Wait, actually don't remember if I pulled the trigger on that one. SU, do you have my picks?

yeah i got your picks, sent to me on jan 9th:

Got it. Here's mine. This should be fun.

quarter finals:

Fedor over Silva, (T)KO Round 2

Overeem over Werdum, (T)KO Round 1

Arlovski over Kharitonov, Decision

Barnett over Rogers, Sub Round 2

semi-finals:

Fedor over Overeem, Sub Round 3

Barnett over Arlovski, Decision

finals:

Fedor over Barnett, Decision

Saki wrote on his twitter at the end of last year that he will be fighting in Strikeforce sometime this summer. He's the most talented kickboxer to come out of K-1 to join MMA since prime Cro Cop. He said he has been training in grappling for over a year now but if he can come close to prime Cro Cop's takedown defense he could be a force in MMA. He is one of the smaller heavyweights in K-1 so it would be safe to assume he would fight at 205 in MMA.

Report: UFC Veteran Jeremy Jackson Sentenced for Rape

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-UFC-Veteran-Jeremy-Jackson-Sentenced-for-Rape-30176

From article: Jeremy Jackson has reportedly been handed a sentence of 25 years to life for the 2008 rape of his former girlfriend.

If you aren't familiar with Jeremy, he's the only man to stop Nick Diaz with strikes.

A3ULJa3ylek

Nick avenged that loss a year later by finishing Jeremy by TKO and Armbar in back to back fights. After reading this article, I'd like to see him fight Nick twice again.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

One thing I will point out though is, Silva was said to be about 285 at bell time, while Fedor was probably struggling to get up to 230. 55lb weight disadvantage is pretty damn ridiculous and it gives a good explanation as to why Fedor looks like he is in there to throw bombs now, as opposed to looking like the well rounded fighter he was before. What is he going to do with a guy that big on top of him? He was escaping submissions and surviving, but it is pretty hard to give up that much weight.

This is why I said months ago that Lesnar would beat Fedor. Lesnar is not a better fighter, and I'm a Lesnar fan. In fact, when comparing their fighting abilities its not even close, Fedor wins in a landslide. But there is something to be said for the Super Athlete. Lesnar is huge and he's extremely athletic. Fedor would have struggled to deal with that combination.