Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Diaz needs to find a set of weights and use them. Until he does he'll never be a striker. He has the build of a 14 year old and while power isn't everything, in the striking game it matters.

I agree 100%, he's accurate, throws decent combos and works from many different angles but none of that matters unless you're just going to go in there and score points for a decision. Against a bigger guy you've got to have some power in your hands. Also, his jab doesn't scare anybody, he uses that pawing jab to annoy people but for it to be truly effective like most true strikers, it has to have a little pepper on it. AND, he keeps his hands too low.

Nick, his striking is much better, super accurate, has power in both hands, his angles are sick and his striking will definitely wear a mother ****er down. You still don't see Nick coming out there and just knocking mother ****ers out.

Again, to hear both of them talk they'd **** Floyd Mayweather up in a boxing ring. Lol

Color me blind, I scored the Championship fight 48-46 for Frankie. He swept the last four rounds in my opinion. Moot point; they were four close rounds, great fight. Edgar looked like Keith Jardine getting beat on by Houston Alexander about 3 times in that first round. Up, down, where am I? Oh. Wham, smack, what day is it?

When he came out for round 2 I thought he was going to faint. Not the boxing technique. I thought Maynard was going to win by (T)KO Faint a couple times there. Wow.

Thiago Silva looked like the baddest man in the baddest prison last night. Looked like he was fighting at heavyweight. Someone go on to totallylookslike.com and put Vera and Rich Franklin's noses next to each other. Ouch!

Brian Stann looked super last night. Give a heavily-disciplined and motivated man like him some training at Jackson's and watch out, everyone. Leben had flashbacks of Anderson Silva last night.

Nate Diaz got out-muscled like Nick did in his UFC days. He's still young, the talent is there, but like you guys have said, it'd be nice to see him add some strength ASAP.

Clay Guida, nice to see you get a finish under your belt. Sweet guillotine. Definitely a jolt to an already-popular fighter. Could we see a drop down to 145 and a title shot for Guida? I think there's a strong possibility, looking at it from a business standpoint.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Clay Guida, nice to see you get a finish under your belt. Sweet guillotine. Definitely a jolt to an already-popular fighter. Could we see a drop down to 145 and a title shot for Guida? I think there's a strong possibility, looking at it from a business standpoint.

Haven't thought about that, interesting thought. He could be a beast at 145.

News going around on sherdog that Chael Sonnen has pleaded guilty to money laundering and could face up to 20 years in federal prison.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/lol-wut-chael-sonnen-pleads-guilty-money-laundering-could-face-20-years-1490863/

Link didn't work for me. It took me to Sherdog but said "No thread specified." Do I need to be logged in or something? I can't find news about this anywhere else either. Strange.

Link didn't work for me. It took me to Sherdog but said "No thread specified." Do I need to be logged in or something? I can't find news about this anywhere else either. Strange.

Here is an ESPN story (via Sherdog). The max is 20 years, but he will probably just get probation. It's been an interesting last few months for ol Chael.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=5986635

Edited by lovetoaster

Strikeforce press release confirms Arlovski vs Kharitonov as well for Feb. 12 with the Fedor vs Bigfoot Silva fight. Then according to Sherdog the other two quarterfinal matches are set for March 5th with Overeem vs Werdum and Barnett vs Rogers.

http://strikeforce.com/news/2011/01/m-1-global%E2%80%99s-fedor-emelianenko-joins-elite-heavyweights-for-eight-man-single-elimination-tournament/

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Strikeforce-Heavyweight-Tournament-Officially-Set-with-4-Bouts-29180

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/4/1914152/ufc-suspends-chael-sonnen-following-guilty-plea-to-mortgage-fraud

Chael Sonnen's fall from grace continues. Yesterday, reports surfaced that Sonnen plead guilty to mortgage fraud that he committed in 2006. While it appears he will escape without jail time, it looks like the UFC won't be so lenient. TMZ Sports reports:

UFC president Dana White tells us Sonnen's contract has been temporarily "frozen."

But White isn't turning his back on one of his most famous fighters -- Dana tells us, "Chael Sonnen has gone through a lot in the last few months and we think it's important for him to focus on getting his personal life together before focusing on his career in the UFC."

White adds, "I spoke with Chael earlier today and he agrees that setting priorities in his life is the best thing for him right now. I sincerely hope Chael is able to straighten out his personal life."

The only time I can recall the UFC suspending a fighter on their own accord is when Chris Leben pissed hot for steroids at UFC 89. In that case, however, the UFC acted as the commission as the bout took place in England.

There's no word on how this will affect yesterday's announcement that Sonnen would fight Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 128, though one can assume the bout is off and Akiyama will be given a new opponent.

Sucks for Sonnen...after the biggest fight of his life, all kinds of **** comes out of the woodwork. By the time everything is straightened out, he'll probably have so much ring rust that it would be hard to get back to top form at this point in his career.

It all started in the 5th round of that fight. All downhill from that sub. :)

I can't wait for this. We get to see Fedor again finally and Overeem finally have some competitive fights.

i don't understand why they have Overeem/Werdum & Fedor/Silva in the same half of the brackets. that side seems incredibly more stacked than the Arlovski/Khartinov & Barnett/Rogers half

Who is more impressive to you guys right now: Overeem or Velasquez?

I'll say Overeem on the strength that he went into a different field and became champion. I can't knock anything Cain has done, and if they fought I may actually pick Cain on the strength of his wrestling, but Overeem is breaking new ground.

Not a bad card...but I doubt the Sonnen fight happens as he might be in prison. :ols:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21973/ufc-128-official-for-march-19-in-new-jersey-with-rua-vs-evans-faber-vs-wineland.mma

UFC 128 official for March 19 in New Jersey with Rua vs. Evans, Faber vs. Wineland

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jan 04, 2011 at 3:20 pm ET

The UFC's return to New Jersey is official.

As expected, the world largest mixed martial arts promotion heads to the Garden State on March 19 for "UFC 128: Shogun vs. Evans."

Featuring a long-awated light heavyweight title clash between current champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and former title holder Rashad Evans, UFC 128 takes place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

"This is the light heavyweight title fight that everyone has been waiting to see," UFC president Dana White stated in today's official release. "'Shogun' has been on an absolute tear and proved that by knocking out Lyoto Machida to take the belt. Now he faces Rashad Evans, who is coming off back-to-back wins over Thiago Silva and 'Rampage' Jackson and has never been hungrier to reclaim the title.

"With the main event and the other fights we're putting together, we're bringing another awesome card to New Jersey, and I'm excited to get back to the East Coast."

Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC), a longtime star with the now-defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships, is 3-1 since his promotional-debut loss to Forrest Griffin. The lone defeat came to Lyoto Machida in their first meeting, and many in the industry panned the unanimous decision and felt Rua won the fight. Seven months later in the rematch, he needed less than a round to score a knockout and win the belt from his fellow Brazilian.

Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC) earned another shot at the title with a May win over rival Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in the main event of UFC 114. Although he said he'd be open to an interim-title fight if Rua were to experience a lengthy layoff while recovering from knee surgery, he later said he'd prefer to wait for the champion. Evans, who also has defeated Thiago Silva since losing his belt, will have a yearlong layoff while waiting for his shot to reclaim the title.

In addition to the main event, UFC brass also officially announced the previously reported clash between former WEC champions Urijah Faber and Eddie Wineland.

The bantamweight bout marks the UFC debut of Faber (24-4 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Wineland (18-6-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who were both victorious in their final obligations to the WEC before the promotion officially ceded its talent to the industry leader.

Faber met former contender Takeya Mizugaki at WEC 52 in his first bout as a bantamweight and cinched a first-round rear-naked choke that won him "Submission of the Night" honors.

Wineland slammed his way out of the WEC in the promotion's final event, WEC 53. Newcomer Ken Stone made the unwise move of pulling a standing guard on the Indiana native in the first round of their preliminary-card meeting and found himself violently introduced to the canvas and knocked out.

The sensational finish capped off a four-fight streak for Wineland, who became the first WEC bantamweight champion when he knocked out Antonio Banuelos for the belt at WEC 20. (He subsequently lost the strap to Chase Beebe when he returned the next year to the Zuffa-owned promotion.)

Tickets for UFC 128, which range in price from $60 to $500, go on sale Thursday, Jan. 13, at Ticketmaster.com.

The latest UFC 128 card includes:

* Champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans (for light-heavyweight title)

* Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland

* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chael Sonnen*

* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub*

* Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus*

* Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle*

* Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau*

* Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani*

* Luiz Cane vs. Karlos Vemola*

Edited by #98QBKiller

i don't understand why they have Overeem/Werdum & Fedor/Silva in the same half of the brackets. that side seems incredibly more stacked than the Arlovski/Khartinov & Barnett/Rogers half

I LOVE this tournament, but I agree that they messed up the brackets. Even the first round of fights are off. This is how I see it and what I would have done:

Seed them.

#1 Overeem (he's their champ)

#2Werdum (on strength of beating Fedor. Can't have Fedor seeded higher coming off that losss)

#3 Fedor

#4 Barnett

#5 Silva

#6Rogers

#7 Arlovski

#8 Khartinov

That's how I see it, but unfortunately that gives us too many rematches, so I'd mix up the bottom 4.

Make Arlovski #8 so he gets The Reem. Give Werdum Rogers. Keep Fedor Silva. Barnett gets Khartinov.