Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

looks like Gray gassed in the 1st, Edgar having a nice recovery round

19-18 for Maynard after 2 rounds

29-27 for Maynard after 3 rounds

i got it 38-37 for Maynard after 4, could be looking at a draw

damn hard round to score in the 5th, i give the smallest of edges to Maynard.

my final score is 48-46 Maynard, could very easily see a draw though

Edited by StillUnknown

looks like gray gassed in the 1st, edgar having a nice recovery round

19-18 for maynard after 2 rounds

29-27 for maynard after 3 rounds

i got it 38-37 for maynard after 4, could be looking at a draw

damn hard round to score in the 5th, i give the smallest of edges to maynard.

My final score is 48-46 maynard, could very easily see a draw though

x2 but its a draw... 48-46 for Edgar was a joke though

Edited by Samuels

Don't necessarily agree with the scores but I had the fight a draw as well.

Rd1:10-8 Maynard

Rd2: 10-9 Edgar

Rd3: 10-9 Maynard

Rd's 4&5: 10-9 Edgar

For Maynard to win the fight he had to do something in the 5th, score a take down, control the octagon, something. He let Edgar have the fight, Edgar landed more punches in the 5th and took the fight to Maynard. It was a close round but Edgar landed more combos and stayed aggressive. I honestly never thought a Judge had the balls to score a 10-8 round, definitely not a 10-7, have never seen a 10-7 round in Vegas. I was sitting here calling a draw after the 5th but only the 3rd judge with the 47-47 IMO got it right.

If Nate Diaz's hands were as good as he actually thinks they are he'd be a world class boxer. I hate Nate but like Nick, however, both of them have that pawing jab and really no power to speak of, especially against bigger guys. You always hear them say "I'm a better striker", I've yet to see one of their fights where they didn't claim that. They have excellent BJJ, use it! Quit trying to show off your striking and choke some mother ****ers out!

Guida, how can you not love that dude? Hard working, balls to the wall, holding nothing back. Dude finally deserves a shot, don't know if he'll ever be champ but he's always in the fight and entertaining as hell to watch.

Phil, pack it in partner, you're too old and slow. Joe Rogan seems to try and "will" him to win, I think he hates to see the punch drunk **** get beat up. Did I say old? I meant old in fighter years. I was actually suprised to see how relatively young he is.

Vera, time for the chopping block brother. You've lost it somewhere along the way, I used to like you but you got treated like a ***** last night!

Leben, wow! Seeing his chin rocked like that says a lot about Stann's hands. Many a man has tried to put Leben to sleep but you sir did it. I always questioned just how heavy his hands were but I don't think there's any doubt now. That was bad ass.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21939/ufc-boss-has-change-of-heart-frankie-edgar-vs-gray-maynard-iii-up-next.mma

LAS VEGAS – Cheer up, Gray. You'll get another chance.

Fewer than two hours after UFC executive Craig Borsari informed the media at UFC 125's post-event press conference that Anthony Pettis would get the next crack at the UFC's lightweight belt, UFC president Dana White had a change of heart.

White informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the promotion instead will book Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III as soon as possible.

"We changed the plans," White told MMAjunkie.com. "After Craig made the announcement, I had a lot of people talking to me, and the reality is, Gray Maynard deserves that fight. We had planned on doing Anthony Pettis next, but Gray went in there and fought his ass off and deserves another chance.

"In the UFC, we do the right thing, and the right thing is to put on this rematch."

White first discussed the change of plans with Yahoo! Sports.

Maynard was absolutely dejected at the evening's post-event press conference, and his outlook worsened at Borsari's announcement.

"I worked my ass for this," Maynard said. "I guess it kind of hurts."

Edgar was nearly knocked out in the opening round of the main-event bout, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. After losing the round 10-8 on all three judges' scorecards, Edgar battled valiantly back for the remaining four frames.

The final four rounds were closely contested, and the fight was scored 48-46 Edgar, 48-46 Maynard, and 47-47, resulting in a draw. Because of the draw, Edgar retained his title.

After being informed that he would face Pettis next, even Edgar admitted he would prefer a third bout with Maynard, who handed the lightweight champion his only career loss back in 2008.

"I probably would (prefer to have a rematch with Maynard)," Edgar said. "To have a little more closure would be nice."

As for Pettis' next move, White said he's currently unsure. However, the UFC boss insisted he would figure it out as quickly as possible.

it would have been borderline criminal if Pettis got a shot before Maynard got his rematch

That Leben fight could have been stopped three times. He got wrecked.

I think a guy like Leben deserves an extra look before stopping the fight. He's had too many dramatic comebacks to ignore. He was getting back to his feet and throwing shots while sound asleep. What an iron head that guy has. I knew Stann was a bad matchup for Chris because he's a more accurate striker who has power comparable to Leben's. If Leben wants to be anything more than a mid-level gatekeeper, he's going to have to find some stand-up defense and some speed. We all love his come-forward style but that style prevents any chance of winning more than 2-3 fights in a row. Much to my own sadness, there's always a loss around the corner for Chris even though he's so exciting to watch.

I cannot believe Frankie Edgar survived the first round and went on to even-up the score cards. Maynard spent too much energy trying to finish and fell prey to Frankie's speed from then on. Nice fight. I also had it scored a draw.

Yea after looking at it again I think the Judges got it right.

Rd 1 Maynard takes it 10-8

Rd 2 Edgar 10-9

Rd 3 very very close but Maynard takes it 10-9

Rd 4 Edgar 10-9

Rd 5 Edgar 10-9

I though at first I might have given Rd 3 to Edgar becuase he did go for some submissions, and landed some good strikes, but the sub attempts never had him in danger like the one in the 4th round did, so I can see the judges giving Maynard that fight.

It was a good fight, and Im glad "The Blanket" didnt win, as it would ruin the LW division. Frankie is tough as they come, and even though his style is a little less pleasing but I personally think he comes to fight, and again he is tough as nails in a division were is is smaller than everyone.

I also dont think an immediate rematch should happen. Maynard had his shot he didnt beat the champ, now he has ot go back down and come back up (not all the way down but he needs at least another fight and win first) and you have the potential for an exciting fight with Pettis and Edgar who now has something to prove again, we all saw what happened last time Edgar had something to prove he put 2 ass whippings on one of the greatest fighters on the planet.

Overall a decent card pre lims however were much better than the pay per view card which is usually the case.

I also dont think an immediate rematch should happen. Maynard had his shot he didnt beat the champ, now he has ot go back down and come back up (not all the way down but he needs at least another fight and win first) and you have the potential for an exciting fight with Pettis and Edgar who now has something to prove again, we all saw what happened last time Edgar had something to prove he put 2 ass whippings on one of the greatest fighters on the planet.

I'm usually not a fan of immediate rematches, but I think its the only way to go in a situation like this. As good as Edgar is, he still hasn't beaten Maynard. the fight was ultra close and one of the very few times I can remember in which damn near everybody (fans, judges, & media members) scored the fight a draw. Add to the fact that it was a damn good fight and both Edgar & Maynard each want an immediate rematch, I really don't think Dana & Joe Silva had any other choice but to make the fight.

I'm a huge Anthony Pettis fan, but it was a bit of a joke in the first place to grant the winner of Henderson/Pettis a title shot. Pettis is one of the most exciting fighters in the game today, but he still hasn't beaten a top 10 fighter. If he's really a contender for the title, he should be able to win a tune-up fight and if he can't then he probably had no business being contention to begin with (i.e. Josh Grispi)

---------- Post added January-2nd-2011 at 11:34 AM ----------

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/2/1908532/ufc-129-randy-couture-vs-lyoto-machida-georges-st-pierre-vs-jake

The talk of Couture's retirement was premature. Insiders I've spoken to say a fight against Machida or Shogun (and therefore for the title) would keep "The Natural" competing. He won't get his title shot wishes, but Couture is clearly enticed enough to remain a professional athlete. MMA Fighting has more:

Couture and Lyoto Machida have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 129 on April 30 in Toronto, MMA Fighting has learned from sources close to the fight. Couture also confirmed the fight when asked by MMA Fighting at UFC 125 on Saturday night.

The event will be the UFC's first in Toronto and will be held at the Rogers Centre, home of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Dave Meltzer and Steve Cofield are also reporting that UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre will likely (though not officially as of yet) defend his title against Jake Shields at the same event. Notwithstanding what is likely to be Couture's final fight, with GSP defending his title in what should be a fantastic beatdown in arguably the capital of mixed martial arts, UFC 129 is set to be a monstrously successful event.

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm usually not a fan of immediate rematches, but I think its the only way to go in a situation like this. As good as Edgar is, he still hasn't beaten Maynard. the fight was ultra close and one of the very few times I can remember in which damn near everybody (fans, judges, & media members) scored the fight a draw. Add to the fact that it was a damn good fight and both Edgar & Maynard each want an immediate rematch, I really don't think Dana & Joe Silva had any other choice but to make the fight.

I'm a huge Anthony Pettis fan, but it was a bit of a joke in the first place to grant the winner of Henderson/Pettis a title shot. Pettis is one of the most exciting fighters in the game today, but he still hasn't beaten a top 10 fighter. If he's really a contender for the title, he should be able to win a tune-up fight and if he can't then he probably had no business being contention to begin with (i.e. Josh Grispi)

---------- Post added January-2nd-2011 at 11:34 AM ----------

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/2/1908532/ufc-129-randy-couture-vs-lyoto-machida-georges-st-pierre-vs-jake

I do not disagree with that logic, I just think your missing ona huge oppourtunity not giving Pettis his shot.....the entire world is talking about that Kick, and that is just one of the many exciting things this guy has done in the cage. Im not saying you cant keep that momentum up with the right opponent, but its still fresh in even casual fans minds, and a title fight would have capatilized on it.

If you dont give him his shot (which according to Dana isnt going to happen now, well at leas not next) I think you give him Sotoropolis, Florian, Guida, or Nate Diaz.

Diaz needs a rebound after last nite and while he can fight in both weights it is obvious that he is to small for 170, 155 is were he needs to be unless he puts on weight the right way, Sot needs another win and Pettis has a big name right now, Florian needs a win big time to stay relevant and beating Pettis give him that, and Guida could put on an exciting fight with a pillow pet. A win in ANY of those fights gets Pettis a top 10 win and should give him his title shot IMO.

I agree with Pettis having to wait. I'm not a big fan of a guy coming in from another company and jumping to the front of the line. I think they need pay their dues by fighting a contender. Beat the guy who has already paid his dues, then you deserve your shot.

The kick was easily the baddest kick EVER in MMA, that **** will go down in the history books. However, Henderson has been known to get his ass beat and pull out a victory. Him handling Henderson wasn't impressive to me. Land that kick on Baby J and you have my attention.