Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

UFC 125: I Can't Believe I'm Paying For Another One.

Takanomi "The Fireball Kid" Gomi vs. Clay "The Carpenter" Guida: It would not be good for Gomi if this fight goes the distance because that would mean Guida's furious pace is effective. Fireball better finish it. Clay's known to have a good chin so we'll see what happens. I'm rooting for Gomi but I wonder if he can pull off a KO like he did over Tyson Griffin, who is like Guida in that he pushes the pace hard and fights for all 3 rounds.

Guida by split decision.

Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim: Everybody knows I'm a Diaz Bros. fan so no sense in analyzing this fight. Go Nate.

Diaz by submission, round 2.

Brandon "the Truth" Vera vs. Thiago Silva: I think Vera has seen his best daysand his confidence is low. Thiago will catch him with something.

Silva by TKO, round 2.

Brian Stann vs. Chris "The Crippler" Leben: I'm worried about my boy Leebs tonight. Stann is bigger, faster, and has been training with Greg Jackson. Having said all that...

chrisleben.jpg

I stick with the CRIPPLAAAAH. Come-from-behind KTFO round 3.

Gray "The Bully" Maynard challenges Frankie "The BJ Beater" Edgar for the UFC Lightweight Championship: I'm not a fan of either, despite being the guy whole told the world Frankie was ready for Penn. (Did you see how I made that about me?) I hope Gray beats Edgar again just because I now hate Frankie for dethroning BJ. However, I doubt Edgar is dumb enough to fight Gray the way he did last time.

Edgar by UD.

Edited by Chachie

UFC 125: Blanket vs. Bee, picks:

Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida: Unfortunately for Gomi, his classic overbearing killshots usually gets him tired after a while. This feeds in to Clay and Greg Jackson's approach perfectly. Gomi busts him up, but gets pressured in to the fence and mat for the last two rounds.

Guida, Unanimous Decision

Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim: Nate looks great at Welterweight, I think this is a stepping-stone for a guy who is just entering his peak. Expecting a big performance from Diaz. Time for him to start being included in the conversation about possible future title contenders.

Diaz, RNC, round 2

Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva: I can see Vera using his speed and technique to outpoint Silva, however I think Silva has a better chance to hurt Brandon. Damage will win over accumulative striking this time around.

Silva, Unanimous Decision

Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann: Leben should set up some takedowns in this fight, because he definitely has the Jiu Jitsu advantage on Capt. Stann. If he stands there and plays Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, even with that cast iron skull, he runs the risk of finally getting dropped or being outpointed. At some point I'd imagine Leben works some offense on the ground, or he just lands the killshot while trading leather. I think either scenario will happen quickly.

Leben, RNC, round 1

Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard: We all know that this is speed vs. brute strength. I think Maynard will throw Frankie off his game with those huge haymakers (like he did to Florian). Sure, they never land, but they will certainly make any Lightweight flinch. That, in turn, gives him an opportunity to wrap you up and slam you down for the rest of the round. I expect the lay & pray discussion to get even louder after tonight.

Maynard, Unanimous Decision

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 125: i cannot top double's title :(

Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida: Guida's defense isn't anything special and i'm thinking that Gomi will land that kill shot before Guida can drag him to the ground.

Gomi by (T)KO, Round 1

Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim: standing Diaz should be able to be a pest to Kim, albeit without causing much damage. Kim isn't the most exciting fighter, but if he drags you down, he usually keeps the fight there doing just enough to prevent the ref from standing them up. Diaz can and will be put on his back repeatedly and I think Kim will manage to not get subbed.

Kim by Unanimous Decision

Thiago Silva vs. Brandon Vera: I'm a believer in "cage/ring rust", so unless Silva ends things early, i'm not liking his chances. Vera has trouble with aggressive fighters though, so it could be a good matchup for Silva. As much as I feel like a fool for this prediction, I'm going with Vera on the strength of Silva being rusty from the layoff.

Vera by Unanimous Decision

Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann: I hate trying to pick Leben fights. You don't know if you're going to get the guy who upset Aaron Simpson & Akiyama or the fellow who gets arm-triangled by Jake Rosholt or picked apart by Bisping. Never been that high on Brian Stann, he does some things well, but nothing about him stands out. i'll go with Leben simply because he tends to win if i pick against him anyway.

Leben by Submission, 2nd Round

Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard: hard fight to predict. Edgar has improved so much since their last fight, but Maynard is probably the worst style matchup for him. Edgar has almost perfected the Dominick Cruz strategy, but Maynard possesses the tools necessary to pin him against the cage and drag him down and lay on him to win rounds. This fight could see some wildly different scorecards if Edgar is winning the standup exchanges, but Maynard gets a takedown or two late in the round. I'm going against my mind on this one, and will go with Edgar finding a way to win this fight

Edgar by Split Decision

on a sidenote, Prelims are on ION television starting at 9pm

Edited by StillUnknown

UFC 125: Blanket vs. Bee, picks:

UFC 125: i cannot top double's title :(

:) Yeah, pretty accurate summary of that fight.

on a sidenote, Prelims are on ION television starting at 9pm

I did not know that. Thx.

I'm surprised that all 3 of us so far have picked Leben. I see Stann as a bad match up for him. I think Chris has the edge in the ground game but Greg Jackson is a good game planner and Leben can be an easy solve if one can avoid his big shots.

(Go Cripplaaaahhh!!)

Edited by Chachie

Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida: Guida is a bad matchup for Gomi. He won't give Gomi the space and time to land the KO punch he got on Griffin. He will puch the pace, lean, takedown, rinse repeat until Gomi gives up or it goes the distance.

Guida by Decision

Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim:

I threw Diaz in two parlays. This guy always loses when I pick him and always wins when I don't. Kim's wrestling scares me a little, but Diaz should be able to take care of a guy like Kim if he wants to take the next step.

Diaz by Sub

Thiago Silva vs. Brandon Vera:

Vera is done, and I'm a big fan of Silva

Silva by KO

Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann: Stann is Leben-lite. I don;t see any advantage he has over Leben. I bet big on Leben. He will be victorious!

Leben by KO

Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard:

Can't really add much to the discussion here. We all know their gameplans. I think Maynard's wrestling and power will be the difference in enough rounds to eek out a win

Maynard by Decision