Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

anyone else think that Shogun can start claiming to be the LHW G.O.A.T.?

his resume is pretty deep with wins over virtually every top 205lb'er not named Wanderlei

Yes. He could have started right before he fought Griffin but that fight delayed his destiny.

his resume is pretty deep with wins over virtually every top 205lb'er not named Wanderlei

I wouldn't give him that title just yet, but he is absolutely in the conversation. Outside of his fight with Griffen and his horrible fight with Coleman, he's been top notch.

Kongo out against Nelson, JDS in. Interesting fight.

Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos in the works for UFC 117 main card

Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) won't be tussling with Cheick Kongo after all.

Kongo (15-6-1 MMA, 8-4 UFC) has withdrawn from a rumored meeting with Nelson at UFC 116 due to a back injury, according to multiple reports. In his place, the UFC has slotted a surprising replacement: Junior Dos Santos (11-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

According to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) sources close to the event, at least one fighter has agreed to the contest, now targeted for the main card of UFC 117, with the intention to sign a bout agreement.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19070/roy-nelson-vs-junior-dos-santos-in-the-works-for-ufc-117-main-card.mma

Edited by lovetoaster

I think there's a strong case for it. He's beaten the who's who of the 205lb division.

If the UFC has any sense, the winner of Rampage/Rashad will get the next title shot. I'm pretty sure Shogun would steamroll Rashad but on the other hand, I'm not sure Rampage/Shogun II will end much differently (other than the soccer kicks).

Rampage is a lot better now than he was when they first fought and he'll benefit from the UFC's rules, but he didn't have much of an answer for Shogun's knees the first time around.

I'd like to see him beat Rashad to get rid of the ring rust and then get a crack at Shogun inside of the cage. I think he'll last longer but I don't think I'd pick him to beat Shogun.

Kongo out against Nelson, JDS in. Interesting fight.

That is an interesting matchup. JDS takes it to him standing, but Roy has a good shot of winning if he can take Dos Santos down. It's odd to think of an American as superior to a Brazilian on the ground but that's what MMA has come to these days, guys from all over are practicing multiple disciplines. I think I actually like this matchup better.

If the UFC has any sense, the winner of Rampage/Rashad will get the next title shot. I'm pretty sure Shogun would steamroll Rashad but on the other hand, I'm not sure Rampage/Shogun II will end much differently (other than the soccer kicks).

i think Shogun beats both of them, but Rashad would be a tougher matchup for him.

Shogun's never really shown a good takedown defense, i could see Rashad using the same strategy he used to beat Thiago Silva. only difference is, i dont see him surviving once Shogun clips him

i dont think Rampage has the speed or variety in his game to challenge Shogun at all. Rampage would have the better hands obviously and could end it with one shot, but i see Shogun keeping the distance and going Jose Aldo on Rampage's legs

on a sidenote, Daley speaks: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11468&zoneid=2

Paul Daley thought he had the biggest battle of his career in the Octagon on Saturday night against Josh Koscheck – little did he know that a moment of hot-headedness and frustration would ultimately lead to his very public dismissal from the UFC by President Dana White.

The biggest battle of his career starts now.

Having left for England some five hours after the fight, Daley knew things were bad, but he spent 10 hours languishing at his own actions. He has since put out a statement via the Telegraph Website:

“I’ve had a long flight home to consider my actions and regret the mistake I made on Saturday. I would like to apologize to the UFC and the Athletic Commission for what I’ve done as well as all the fans and sponsors that support me.”

“I would also like to offer my sincerest apologies to Josh Koscheck who did not deserve the cheap shot I threw. He did what he needed to do in order to win the fight and get the job done, and I foolishly reacted to the situation.”

“There is no excuse for my actions and I know what I did was very unprofessional. I was immensely frustrated by a collection of things that took place throughout the fight as well as leading up to it, but I’m certainly not trying to condone or excuse my actions.”

“Josh implemented his game plan perfectly taking me down and staying on top of me for the majority of the fight. I was also frustrated about him claiming (and acting like) I knee’d him in the head on the ground when it was clear for all to see in the video replay that I didn’t connect at all with the knee I threw.”

“Then finally, the verbal abuse Josh hit me with in the final 30 seconds of the fight simply pushed me over the edge and my frustrations came out as I knew I’d lost the fight, was unhappy with my own performance and had then been ridiculed by my opponent to top things off.”

“This is certainly no excuse for my actions; I fully deserve to be punished for what I did and hope that everyone I have disappointed can forgive my rash decision. I feel very disappointed in myself for losing my cool and hope that I am able to address my temperament and bounce back from this low point in my career.”

“I feel ashamed and embarrassed by what I did and hope that together my team and I can get through this issue. It will be a long road back from where I am now to earning the trust and respect of the UFC and the MMA fans that have supported me for so long, I know I’ve let you all down but I’m determined to make it up to you all.”

Where Daley goes from here is an unknown journey, but admitting fault is a first step, the athletic commissions may also wade in on the situation, but until then, Daley will have to deal with the consequences coming forward from this situation.

The biggest battle of his career.

Edited by StillUnknown

Overeem is an offensive juggernaut, but when the dude gets clipped he turtles up and gets finished. If he had a better "survival mode", ie. going for a leg or clinching up when he gets tagged, he'd be incredibly hard to stop.

actually he's shown a good chin at HW, particularly in some of his K-1 fights. maybe steroids help you take a better shot :whoknows:

Sounds like Daley's publicist wrote that apology.

i was thinking the same thing, daley could never speak that long without dropping an f-bomb or 3

actually he's shown a good chin at HW, particularly in some of his K-1 fights. maybe steroids help you take a better shot :whoknows:

Yeah, and maybe fighting B to C list heavyweights helps as well. And I believe the K-1 Heavies use 10 oz gloves. The only top flight guys he's beaten in years has been and aging Bonjasky and Badr Hari (who just avenged the loss with a KO).

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Jay Silva replaces Paulo Filho in Thursday's Bellator 18 "super fight" with Hector Lombard

Another opportunity has passed by former World Extreme Cagefighting champion and one-time highly ranked middleweight Paulo Filho.

Although Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney this past week spoke with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and denied reports of Filho's scratch from Thursday's Bellator 18 event and said last-minute plans could salvage the fight, the efforts came up short.

MMAjunkie.com has confirmed with multiple sources, including Rebney, that former UFC fighter Jay Silva (5-3 MMA, 0-0 BFC) replaced Filho (18-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) and meets Bellator middleweight champ Hector Lombard (24-2-1 MMA, 3-0 BFC) in the event's non-title headliner.

Josh Gross of SI.com first reported the replacement via Twitter.

Bellator 18 takes place May 13 at the Monroe Civic Center in Monroe, La., and airs live on FOX Sports Net.

Last week Rebney said Bellator officials had spoken with "all the appropriate people and we've got everything in line," but he said a Plan B was put in place for Filho, who's dealt with depression and chemical-dependency issues that resulted in him pulling out of some recent high-profile fights.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19090/jay-silva-replaces-paulo-filho-in-bellator-18-super-fight-with-hector-lombard.mma

I was looking forward to this fight, but knew in the back of my mind that there was a good chance that it could get called off. Paulo needs to step away for a little while and get things in order.

He has to be really bad off. I know I'm not speaking for just myself, but training MMA gives me those runner-highs where the endorphins just overflow your brain and you kind of feel euphoric. How can you be depressed when you're beating the **** out of things all day long? When you have one of those moments when you just can't take it anymore and you just want to hit something? Well, you can!!!!

I know chemical dependency is another story, but dang, this has been going on for way too long. It's called a rehabilitation center. If it doesn't work then go to another one, for a longer time period. I'm sick of hearing about this dudes emotional problems. Somebody needs to photoshop Adam Lamberts' hair doo on top of Filho's head.

I know chemical dependency is another story, but dang, this has been going on for way too long. It's called a rehabilitation center. If it doesn't work then go to another one, for a longer time period. I'm sick of hearing about this dudes emotional problems.

I just can't believe he's still taking fights. We'll probably hear of him in a couple of days on a card in Sengoku or Bittetti Combat only for him to back out at the last minute. Take a break man, get some help.

I just can't believe he's still taking fights. We'll probably hear of him in a couple of days on a card in Sengoku or Bittetti Combat only for him to back out at the last minute. Take a break man, get some help.

even more surprising than him taking fights, is that promotions still offer him fights

Edited by StillUnknown

For anyone here who is local, there are a few things going on in the area this weekend.

Kenny Florian is doing seminars at two of my school's locations this weekend.

http://kennyflorian.com/schedule/

He's doing a BJJ seminar at the Rockville location on Saturday and an MMA seminar at the Fairfax location on Sunday.

Then on Saturday night there's an MMA event at the DC Armory:

http://www.washingtoncombat.com/

9lfOa3GjPBE

Pedro Rizzo & Gary Goodridge are the main event lol. K. Flo will be in attendance along with Demian Maia. There are some lesser-known prospects fighting from well-known schools like Black House, ATT, Wand FC (not sure if Wandy will be there himself), Nova Uniao, and Gracie Barra. There are some local guys fighting too from Yamasaki.