Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

i don't want Vince McMahon anywhere near MMA. people already have seen some very shady decisions because of officials, Vince coming anywhere close to MMA will cause more harm than good

I pretty much agree with you on that, but I think there is a small chance he would do it right. He's in the business of making money, and the UFC is not the WWE. I think he'll see the difference in how he promotes the two products. At least, I hope so.

That being said, despite the Fertitas having a price, I doubt very seriously it has been met by Vinny Mac. Now, some kind of joint ventures and cross-promotions are more realistic.

I pretty much agree with you on that, but I think there is a small chance he would do it right. He's in the business of making money, and the UFC is not the WWE. I think he'll see the difference in how he promotes the two products. At least, I hope so.

That being said, despite the Fertitas having a price, I doubt very seriously it has been met by Vinny Mac. Now, some kind of joint ventures and cross-promotions are more realistic.

i don't doubt Vince's business accumen. his track record speaks for itself. the problem is when you take on Vince as a partner, your sport immediately gets mentioned hand in hand with wrestling. when he started the XFL people joked and mocked how the games would be fixed and all the extra BS that went along with WWE antics.

UFC doesn't have the mainstream credibility to survive an immediate association with Vince. any casual fan who thought about watching MMA would just assume (right or wrong) that it was just like wrestling and everything was scripted.

if the UFC was more established and accepted for what it is, then i wouldn't have a problem with Vince coming in. the fact is, there are still too many people who simply don't know enough about MMA to properly disassociate itself from wrestling if Vince were involved

Latest rumor is that Dana is a ****ing idiot. :laugh: Apparently, according to http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/06/11/5-oz-exclusive-ufcs-huge-announcement-revealed-plans-new-york-regulation-delayed/

Dana won't be giving his "Big Announcement" this week. Definitely some shady things going on behind closed doors. Perhaps the Fertita's applied a little pressure? :silly:

EDIT: BTW, isn't that judge in the pic the British "honkey" from The Jeffersons?

MMA will never be accepted as a legitimate sport until it's athletes clean up their acts. With the antics of Chris Leben, the backyard brawling of Kimbo Slice, and the up and comers of The Ultimate Fighter getting drunk and tearing apart a nice house and sometimes fighting each other in the backyard EVERY season, the average American that is not already a fan of combat sports does not have a good impression of MMA.

Actually, a lot of MMA fighters are breaking that mold. Hughes? Silva? Henderson? Franklin? GSP? These are just a few examples of men who take this sport seriously and train for it like a sport. I can tell you that a lot of the top guys don't look at this as brawling, they look at this as a sport and train like it's a sport; if you saw how much these guys train, I have a feeling you'd agree with them.

Leben and his ilk are jackasses. They are never going to be at the top b/c they are jackasses. They don't have the mentality to make it to the top of the sport, plain and simple.

what is so unliked about Leben?

Leben is an origingal Team Quest jackass. Now it's Ed Herman.

To the untrained eye, MMA looks just like an all out brawl. They don't know how much technique is involved in boxing, kickboxing, judo, wrestling, submission grappling, and brazilian jiu-jitsu.

I was hoping that EliteXC, the first live demonstration of MMA on network television would showcase some great technical exchanges of these disciplines, but I was disappointed overall. Carano's fight was probably the best fight of the night. That title fight would have been the best one, if not for the BS eye poke stoppage. Also, by MMA rules Kimbo was no longer "intelligently defending himself" against the cage in round 2 and the fight should have been stopped as he recieved elbow after elbow to the head without blocking, no matter how soft the elbows looked.

Some people are saying that still having that incident fresh in his mind, that same ref (Dan Miragliotta) having recieved much criticism for that non-stoppage, that is why he prematurely ended the Vera fight.

At least you admit to the "untrained eye." People who don't appreciate this sport don't understand the positioning that goes on during the "ground game" or the technique that the guys display while standing up. EliteXC probably wasn't the best first network display of the sport, but to deny that there is legit athleticism and training going on in this sport and that it is an outright brawl is a little absurd.

Anyone want to guess who kicks the window out of the limo on next week's TUF? :laugh:

I guessed, and now I've heard from a source, that Jesse's the culprit. Duh. Apparently he gets drunk, does drugs, and kicks the window out of a limo. What an idiot.

I've also heard CB gets beat next week by Amir, but with Jesse's outage, comes back and beats Tim to get into the finals......

Anyone want to guess who kicks the window out of the limo on next week's TUF? :laugh:

I guessed, and now I've heard from a source, that Jesse's the culprit. Duh. Apparently he gets drunk, does drugs, and kicks the window out of a limo. What an idiot.

I've also heard CB gets beat next week by Amir, but with Jesse's outage, comes back and beats Tim to get into the finals......

I hate when they bring back people who lost already. If Jesse gets the boot, Tim should just get a free pass into the finals, IMO.

The good news is that I don't have a crystal ball, those are just the rumors I heard...:D

I have a crystal ball, hmm, it shows in 2 weeks, you will drink so much you pass out into a pile of bushes with your butt cheeks hanging it. I don't know who the brunette with blue eyes is next to you but tell her to take pictures. :laugh:

I have a crystal ball, hmm, it shows in 2 weeks, you will drink so much you pass out into a pile of bushes with your butt cheeks hanging it. I don't know who the brunette with blue eyes is next to you but tell her to take pictures. :laugh:

Uh-oh, this sounds oddly familiar....:laugh:

When is that event?

July 19th, here's the web site:

http://www.afflictionclothing.com/banned_july19/

Also, anyone watching Dream 4 this weekend? Jacare and Mayhem are fighting, should be interesting to see if Jacare can submit him in the first round or not.

Sakuraba's fighting Melvin Manhoef, I'm taking Manhoef by (T)KO.

Also, Cro Cop pulled out of that grappling match he was supposed to have with Ralek Gracie but his fight with Jerome LeBanner is still on for the end of July which should be a pretty nasty fight...I could see either guy getting his ass kicked.

Cro Cop actually beat LeBanner by decision in a kickboxing match back in the day (mid or late 90s).

Shinya Aoki is also fighting Nagata....anyone know if this comes on HD Net?

July 19th, here's the web site:

http://www.afflictionclothing.com/banned_july19/

Also, anyone watching Dream 4 this weekend? Jacare and Mayhem are fighting, should be interesting to see if Jacare can submit him in the first round or not.

Sakuraba's fighting Melvin Manhoef, I'm taking Manhoef by (T)KO.

Also, Cro Cop pulled out of that grappling match he was supposed to have with Ralek Gracie but his fight with Jerome LeBanner is still on for the end of July which should be a pretty nasty fight...I could see either guy getting his ass kicked.

Cro Cop actually beat LeBanner by decision in a kickboxing match back in the day (mid or late 90s).

Shinya Aoki is also fighting Nagata....anyone know if this comes on HD Net?

That's a borderline sick card right there. Better than UFC 85: Pretend This Didn't Happen. Go Saku! Manhoef is not to F around with. Is that being fought at 185 or 205, or are they catchweighting it? Poor Saku might be finished for good if it is.

I think Mayhem will surprise us, but he sure does have a toughy.

That's a borderline sick card right there. Better than UFC 85: Pretend This Didn't Happen. Go Saku! Manhoef is not to F around with. Is that being fought at 185 or 205, or are they catchweighting it? Poor Saku might be finished for good if it is.

I think Mayhem will surprise us, but he sure does have a toughy.

The Sakuraba/Mahhoef fight is part of the middleweight tourney so it will be at 185