Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

That could very well have been the best fight I've seen. Shame it had to be stopped, but I agreed with the stoppage. Can't wait for the rematch. I can't help but feel that Torres was going to win it regardless. Dude has the most aggressive and offensive BJJ that I've ever seen. He is sick.

he's a brown belt under carlson gracie which holds more weight than most black belts. his guard is so good because not only does it allow him to go for constant submissions, he takes very little damage. he length allows him to do those kicks to the thighs and hip from the guard that can open up things as well.

tonight he got a chance to showcase his standup. he's got some really good muay thai and he uses 76" reach very well. he also showed he can take a good shot and keep coming forward.

carlson gracie said in a magazine a while back that he doesn't see anyone beating him @ 135lbs.

i got a chance to download some of his pre-WEC fights and he is the real deal. one of my 3 favorite fighters

Speaking of fixed fights, on Sherdog they're saying that Kimbo tapped at some point during his fight last night but the ref didn't stop it, all of the fans saw this, thought the stoppage was BS, and that's why the fans were booing him at the end.

They're saying they used the 15 second delay to edit it out and that's why there was that wierd pan out way away from the cage during the fight, I know I remember it and was confused by it.

that was reason #2 on my list of why i thought that fight was fixed. that camera going away from the action was way too shady

"I just glanced at a CBS.com article which basically was playing to the "Freakshow" angle of things, compound that with the "Thug" or "Street Fighter" reputation that Kimbo has and I just don't see him doing anything positive for the sport. I know that a lot of people are saying that he is a great guy/ hard worker/ etc... but I don't think that any amount of positive press at this point will ever outway the street brawler image. I also don't think that EliteXC listing Kimbo's fighting discipline as "BRAWLING" does very much to help the situation. He may bring some new fans to the sport, and hopefully some of them will grow to appreciate the sport, all it aspects, but I tend to think that the more likely truth is that he will bring more ignorant low lifes to the sport who expect to see human ****fighting, boo ground wars and have zero appreciation for jiu-jitsu, strategy and the finer points of MMA. i understand that Kimbo is a draw, but for him to be a headliner in a mainstream company, which like it or not, EliteXC is by way of being televised on CBS... it gives the wrong message to the masses, it gives fuel to the arguments against MMA, makes it easy for idiots like Bill O'Reilly to discredit the sport, and ultimately makes it much harder for MMA to become accepted and respected as a mainstream sport.

To play devil's advocate, MMA is being talked about a lot right now, many new people were exposed to it, and those people could take it upon themselves to become educated. But I honestly don't think that is likely, I think Kimbo draws a lot of attention to MMA, but it is basically the wrong kind of attention and bad for the public image of the sport."

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/kimbo-bad-mma-790857/

I agree with this Sherdogger. I used to think Kimbo was good for MMA because he brought new fans and more attention, but it's the wrong kind of attention.

Jens sucks my left ass-cheek. If he can't make it at this weight....in this tertiary organization, he is done.

Enuff of the crap Jens.....you never were that great, and you suck now, retire.

Jens sucks my left ass-cheek. If he can't make it at this weight....in this tertiary organization, he is done.

Just because he couldn't beat the champ, doesn't mean he should give up altogether. Faber is THAT good. I guess you think all of the UFC Middleweights should just give up at life as long as Silva's fighting too?

Tertiary organization? The WEC is THE place to showcase your talent if you plan on fighting at 145 or 135.

How long have you been a casual MMA fan? One month? Are you really 38? You sound more like you're 8.

Just because he couldn't beat the champ, doesn't mean he should give up altogether. Faber is THAT good. I guess you think all of the UFC Middleweights should just give up at life as long as Silva's fighting too?

Tertiary organization? The WEC is THE place to showcase your talent if you plan on fighting at 145 or 135.

How long have you been a casual MMA fan? One month? Are you really 38? You sound more like you're 8.

I have been an mma fan for roughly twenty years.

The original Royce Gracie.

When you stopped breast-feeding, I was an mma fan.

As for Jens Pulver.....he sucks. Where does he go from here?

Jens.....make that a super-size, thanks.

Considering NOBODY has ever gone 5 rounds with Urijah, I'm not sure how you've come to this conclusion. He could probably clean up everyone else in the 145 lb. division.

I have been an mma fan for roughly twenty years.

The original Royce Gracie.

When you stopped breast-feeding, I was an mma fan.

You are welcome for the response........my time is valuable.

As for Jens Pulver.....he sucks. Where does he go from here?

Jens.....make that a super-size, thanks.

I watched the first UFC on PPV too, does that make me a fan for 20 years?

I ACTUALLY train Muay Thai Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and MMA, and I AM TELLING YOU, Jens Pulver does not suck. He may be old and past his prime, but he DOES NOT suck.

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Faber has pretty much walked through all of his opponents. Pulver went the distance. Pulver's takedown defense was the best that Faber has ever seen and Pulver's skillful ground game helped him avoid Faber's sick ground and pound.

In the very beginning, when Faber had Pulver on his back and against the cage, it would have been over for many lesser opponents, but Pulver didn't get ground & pounded and even got back to his feet.

This was Faber's greatest test, it forced him to bring his A game, and Pulver proved that there's still gas in his tank. If the Pulver from a few years ago showed up, he might have been the one squeaking out the decision.

I watched the first UFC on PPV too, does that make me a fan for 20 years?

I ACTUALLY train Muay Thai Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and MMA, and I AM TELLING YOU, Jens Pulver does not suck. He may be old and past his prime, but he DOES NOT suck.

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Faber has pretty much walked through all of his opponents. Pulver went the distance. Pulver's takedown defense was the best that Faber has ever seen and Pulver's skillful ground game helped him avoid Faber's sick ground and pound.

In the very beginning, when Faber had Pulver on his back and against the cage, it would have been over for many lesser opponents, but Pulver didn't get ground & pounded and even got back to his feet.

This was Faber's greatest test, it forced him to bring his A game, and Pulver proved that there's still gas in his tank. If the Pulver from a few years ago showed up, he might have been the one squeaking out the decision.

This might have been the greatest Jens Pulver performance ever. Regardless of the outcome. Bottom line--it wasn't enough.

Do you really want to watch this loser deteriorate for the next two years before retirement?

No, I don't either. Bring on the newer talent.

This might have been the greatest Jens Pulver performance ever. Regardless of the outcome. Bottom line--it wasn't enough.

Do you really want to watch this loser deteriorate for the next two years before retirement?

No, I don't either. Bring on the newer talent.

did Pulver piss on your lawn or something?

i can understand if you don't like the dude, but there's no reason to disrespect him

I couldn't get on ES last night but that Miguel Torres fight needs to be on the fight of the year ballot. The Faber/Pulver fight was damn good too, but the Torres fight was fight of the night IMO. I wanted to see two more rounds but either way those guys came out to fight :applause:

Speaking of fixed fights, on Sherdog they're saying that Kimbo tapped at some point during his fight last night but the ref didn't stop it, all of the fans saw this, thought the stoppage was BS, and that's why the fans were booing him at the end.

They're saying they used the 15 second delay to edit it out and that's why there was that wierd pan out way away from the cage during the fight, I know I remember it and was confused by it.

I swore I thought I saw his elbow moving like a tap while the camera was only on his upper arm. Funny how I blew the thought off when the fight didn't end at that second. Man, this gets more and more fishy every day. :(

I wonder if there is ANY other video out there with this moment included. (?)

I couldn't get on ES last night but that Miguel Torres fight needs to be on the fight of the year ballot. The Faber/Pulver fight was damn good too, but the Torres fight was fight of the night IMO. I wanted to see two more rounds but either way those guys came out to fight :applause:

QFT, that was one hell of a fight! I hope they do it agian.

You all know I'm a huge fan of American Top Team and a distant part of their family and we are all excited about UFC 85. Din Thomas used to be their top UFC guy and Marcus "Maximus" Aurelio in his Pride days. They're star right now is Thiago "Pit Bull" Alves and we're excited to see what he can do against Hughes after that awesome knee KO against Parysian.

Also, if you're a hometown MMA fan, you know that even though Brandon "The Truth" Vera fights out of CA, he got his start with Team Lloyd Irvin out of Camp Springs, MD and that Irvin can still be seen in Vera's corner for every fight.

You all know I'm a huge fan of American Top Team and a distant part of their family and we are all excited about UFC 85. Din Thomas used to be their top UFC guy and Marcus "Maximus" Aurelio in his Pride days. They're star right now is Thiago "Pit Bull" Alves and we're excited to see what he can do against Hughes after that awesome knee KO against Parysian.

Also, if you're a hometown MMA fan, you know that even though Brandon "The Truth" Vera fights out of CA, he got his start with Team Lloyd Irvin out of Camp Springs, MD and that Irvin can still be seen in Vera's corner for every fight.

i'm hoping Alves lands one of those trademark leg kicks clean to the head of Hughes.

i'll be rooting hard for Alves, but my mind is telling me Hughes will lay on him for a decision

1. the quick stand up when Thompson had side control

2. the fact that the camera panned away when Kimbo was in a standing guillotine, then when it came back he was out of it

3. thompson landed 25 straight elbows, not much power, but in no way was Kimbo "intelligently" defending himself

4. thompson didn't attempt to defend the sweep from kimbo. thompson is a big dude, and Kimbo has no ground technique. he shouldn't have been able to be swept that easily

5. thompson threw those elbows like baby slaps. he had kimbo in a crucifix and instead of throwing anything with damaging intent, he threw some pitty pat elbows.

6. gary shaw comes from a boxing background and understands the importance of promoting your "stars"

now i could be completely wrong, and in some ways i hope i am, but what i saw last night and in repeat viewings tell me something shady was going on.

I believe ElieXC did everyting inits' power to help Kimbo win, but I don;t believe the fight was fixed. Thompson wanted that win badly. He is pissed at the stoppage.

I think Kimbo probably would have knocked him out if the fight went another 30 seconds or so, but there is a chance Thompson grags him and pulls him down again before that happens.

Very bad stoppage.

Did anyone else see/hear Gary Shaw telling every winner what he wanted them to say in the post-fight interview? Looked real shady to me. This guy is looking more and more like the sleazeball boxing promoter Dana says he is.

If Kimbo didn't tap, why the pan out on the guillotine escape? That was weird.

I think Kimbo is a hell of a striker and he can hang in there with anyone else who sucks at the ground. There are a lot of heavyweights that suck at the ground.

Did anyone else see/hear Gary Shaw telling every winner what he wanted them to say in the post-fight interview? Looked real shady to me. This guy is looking more and more like the sleazeball boxing promoter Dana says he is.

he does the exact same thing with his boxers. immediately after the fight, he'll tell them what he wants them to say in the post-fight interview.