Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there any educators on this board?

Thanos

Thank you! I am currently an Elementary School teacher and will possibly be moving to Middle School next year.

It takes a special kind of person to teach Middle School. I did it for three years (and loved it, actually) before taking a job at my current high school.

Good luck.

Good job teachers.

Education administrators/beeurocrats on the other hand should be shot... they do a piss poor job at supporting teachers and basically steal $$$ from the system.

Maybe some of you educators can educate me if this is a poor perception.

Lots of teachers on this board.

Major Harris, MissU, and Blondie (principal) come to mind right off the bat.

Teachers are one of those jobs like soldiers where they do a really hard, nearly impossible job, everyday, and dont get nearly the credit or compensation they deserve.

A thank you thread is far overdue. Im with Thanos. :cheers:

Major, remind me that i owe you a beer for that.

Does coaching count? I would say its a good supplement to what teachers provide (with regards to work ethics, discipline and those kinds of things)...

But yes, teaching is quite a thankless job. I wish I could point out a teacher in elementary-high school that had a big impact of my life and I can't really recall any...but I am thankful for every one of them.

Are there any educators on this board?

I teach my son every day. "Leave that alone!" "Put that down!" "Do that again and I'm gonna make you wish that you hadn't!"

Seriously, the constant questions are overwhelming. But I love feeding him knowledge. I like when he learns something new and I can see it sinking in mentally.

Good job teachers.

Education administrators/beeurocrats on the other hand should be shot... they do a piss poor job at supporting teachers and basically steal $$$ from the system.

I am an administrator.

You have made a very large statement. Now......back it up.

Show me. No, I don't want to hear about something you HEARD or someone you KNOW.........show me examples.

Blondie

12 days left until summer break! Woo hoo!

I'm currently in my first year of teaching. I love it, but to be honest, it's been the toughest year of my life. Here I was thinking that all my teachers in the past had the easiest jobs ever. Well, when I came home and did prep work and planning every night for approximately 4 - 5 hours, I soon thought differently...lol. It's just part of the process of being a first year teacher I guess.

I taught a grade 7/8 split class this year. I like the curriculum at that level, don't necessarily like the behaviour and attitudes. It's safe to say that I could have handled it all better, but that comes with experience I guess. You learn something new every day.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the salute, Thanos!

Cheers,

CH

It's just part of the process of being a first year teacher I guess.

It does get much easier. Unless, of course, you didn't keep any of your materials.

As to adminstrators, Fergasun, there's no need to generalize. There are bad administrators just like bad teachers. The only difference is, they're more obvious because they affect a lot of people. A good administrator, though, is worth his or her weight in gold. They take a lot of crap so teachers can do their jobs.

Most of the administrators I've worked with have been excellent. They support the teacher in the classroom, and (especially the assistant principals) spend hours every day dealing with the troublesome kids. I can't imagine doing it. And, they work longer hours than even teachers, which is saying something.

It's just that the occasional poor principal has such a negative effect that it's easy to focus just on that.

My current head principal, for instance, is wonderful. He sets a tone of high expectations, backs it up himself, supports the teachers in their work, and keeps the faculty meetings short. The school would be horrible without him, because our population is not, shall we say, intrinsically motivated to do well in school.

Don't dis administrators.

I am an administrator.

You have made a very large statement. Now......back it up.

Show me. No, I don't want to hear about something you HEARD or someone you KNOW.........show me examples.

Blondie

:doh: I guess this is Lesson #1 Ferg....

Example 1:

Mr. Denhalter alleges that on March 27, 2006, dozens of high school students, mostly of Mexican-American descent, illegally walked out of school in protest of legislation that was being proposed by the U.S. Congress (HR4437) concerning illegal immigration. He was not one of these students and chose to act lawfully.

Instead of illegally walking out of school and being truant, Denhalter chose to organize a legitimate and lawful counter-protest/assembly during the lunch hour on or about March 30, 2006. The peaceable assembly was to take place across from the school on a public sidewalk (i.e., a traditional public forum).

The peaceable assembly would not have disrupted school activities because Jurupa Valley High School has an “open lunch” period. This means that students are free to come and go during this time. As such, any student could have “walked out” during the lunch to attend the assembly and there would be no disruption or violation of truancy laws.

On the morning of March 30, 2006, Denhalter began handing out flyers for his event. That same morning, around 7:30 AM, he was approached by school officials and told that he could not hand out flyers advertising his First Amendment protected activities. He refused to give up his right to pass out handbills/flyers. As a result of his refusal to give up his constitutional rights, Denhalter was suspended for “handing out flyers (before school) advocating the disruption of school activities”. However, the school did not punish the dozens of students who walked out in violation of the law several days before.

Not an isolated incident in Southern California. There were other schools where the anti-illegal students were punished, and pro-illegal views were endorsed and encouraged.

Example 2:

Capo Unified continues to absorb growth from fast-growing south county communities, so problems cannot be pinned entirely on the board and the administration. The district is building a new high school in San Juan Capistrano. Its enormous cost - now at $120 million and rising - is about three times the average cost of new high schools across the state, according to recall supporters, and has become a core issue for the recall.

Meanwhile, the district is building new offices for the superintendent and staff. Recall activists insist it has a view of the ocean, although Board President Marlene Draper says it does not. View or not, the beautifully designed 126,000- square-foot facility has become another recall lightning rod.

During the first day of signature-gathering, lines were long, according to recall activist Jennifer Beall. "People were livid," she said. "All we had to do we show them the pictures of the portables compared to the beautiful new $25 million administration building."

Example 3: $1.3 Million over 4 years for an Elementary School District Superintendent

These are stories from the past year in the Southern California region.

Example 4 could be Los Angeles Unified School District.... why is the mayor looking to take control?

Sure, I was overly harsh in generalizing against all administrators, but I hope you see why my ire has been high.

From now on I'll limit the scope of my frustration to school administrators in Southern California.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived