Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The silver lining

LD0506

Well this has been quite a stormy little weekend here on ES, and while the winds of change continue to blow in some quarters, I would like to strike a positive, pro-active tone.

We have seen the mods openly vilified, accused of fascism, called liars and their intelligence questioned, etc., and why? Because they try to do their jobs here, for no pay and apparently little respect out of a love for the Skins. This is not merely wrong, it is damned wrong! So let's look beyond the clouds to the silver lining beyond.........

I have seen comments elsewhere but let's put 'em together. I'd like to see people make themselves heard. Stand up and declare yourself, don't just sit there grinning and nodding at the monitor, take a public stance in reference to the mods and the job they are doing. Some have done so in a bassackwards fashion in the thread-that-is-not-to-be-named today, but let's just stop playing around. Things have gotten ugly enough that the choices are clear.

LD0506- Dave K/ Delaware

There isn't even a question to me of choosing a side here. This is not only the best site for the Skins, this is one of the, if not THE, best run and moderated sites I have seen online, and I have seen truly horrible ones. The gentlemen that have established and nurtured this site deserve far better than they have gotten lately. I trust implicitly their decisions on how to maintain or improve ES. I have hopes that soon we may see a return to a more friendly and convivial environment that we can all share. I believe that the recent actions of the mods move us in that direction.

No fine print, no disclaimers or legalese, nothin', if that isn't clear enough I can't help you.

Well this has been quite a stormy little weekend here on ES, and while the winds of change continue to blow in some quarters, I would like to strike a positive, pro-active tone.

We have seen the mods openly vilified, accused of fascism, called liars and their intelligence questioned, etc., and why? Because they try to do their jobs here, for no pay and apparently little respect out of a love for the Skins. This is not merely wrong, it is damned wrong! So let's look beyond the clouds to the silver lining beyond.........

I have seen comments elsewhere but let's put 'em together. I'd like to see people make themselves heard. Stand up and declare yourself, don't just sit there grinning and nodding at the monitor, take a public stance in reference to the mods and the job they are doing. Some have done so in a bassackwards fashion in the thread-that-is-not-to-be-named today, but let's just stop playing around. Things have gotten ugly enough that the choices are clear.

LD0506- Dave K/ Delaware

There isn't even a question to me of choosing a side here. This is not only the best site for the Skins, this is one of the, if not THE, best run and moderated sites I have seen online, and I have seen truly horrible ones. The gentlemen that have established and nurtured this site deserve far better than they have gotten lately. I trust implicitly their decisions on how to maintain or improve ES. I have hopes that soon we may see a return to a more friendly and convivial environment that we can all share. I believe that the recent actions of the mods move us in that direction.

No fine print, no disclaimers or legalese, nothin', if that isn't clear enough I can't help you.

Totally agree LD... There has been a huge influx of members on this site since the integration with the redskins site. With that have come posters good and bad. I think that given the situation, the mods have actually been overly-lenient, and today may have been the "vent of frustration". Lets remember that these mods are here to keep this board from declining and turning into one of the multiple "crap sites" out there...

Here's to you guys :cheers:

I don't even think it's about good or bad posters but whether or not the majority of people here agree with that bedrock 1% that is the site itself and just a little respect for those who established it.

41 views and 2 posts....... maybe my cynicism is justified

To be honest, I don't think the mods use enough power (as in...they don't moderate enough, from what I see).

If this were my board, I'd be banning people and closing threads left and right:laugh:

So don't they get some kind of credit for not being the stormtroopers they are claimed to be? I have never met a one of them and probably never will, all I know of them is what I read here, and they seem like decent guys trying to hold this place together while being seriously outnumbered by those that don't give a damn, and through all this they still manage to keep some sense of humor and wit, and a reserve that I can only envy.

I have to say, I am disappointed that so many seem unwilling or unable to speak up here. This is an issue about us, the members, and how we view ES.

I feel a need to toss my :2cents: in on this matter....

I'm the sort of poster that moderators at most sites groan when they see come around. I'm opinionated. I'm stubborn. I speak my mind, whether my opinion is in the mainstream or not; and I don't have a politically correct bone in my body. On the surface I am the definition of a "Troll".

However, the moderators of this site have taken the time to look past the obvious, obnoxious exterior of yours truly. They've noticed that it's a pretty rare occassion when I make anything personal with another poster and don't devolve into name-calling all that often. That my views, while wildly off-base from the accepted societal norm are pretty consistant and I tend to back them up most of the time with at least some level of opinion or fact.

I've been called on the carpet when I've stepped out of line and I've accepted the (more than) reasonable punishments for those offenses. I've also been backed by the moderators when others have gotten out of line with me (even when I haven't necessarily deserved it). This group of moderators has been, with rare exception, absolutely terrific. About the only thing I can complain about in the least is the moderator's ability to edit avatars and tag lines without the poster's approval and that's a very small thing. We have some of the best moderators I have run across on the internet at this site. They do a thankless job for no pay and I doubt the site offers them free headache medicine either folks. All of us non-moderators can put other posters on ignore. The moderators can't. Think about that the next time you get into a pissing match with me or someone else around here.

I am glad to see them taking a firmer hand and I don't understand the complaints,the board was/is not near the quality it used to be...Of course banning me might improve it :D

dude who del totally IM'd that to you :silly:

LOL. Actually, no he didn't. I've been banned from several different messageboards over the years. Some after as few as three or four posts. Others after several thousand posts. I figure that at some point in the future I will end up getting tossed permanently from here as well. That's just the way things work with me.

Moderators have a hellish job. I do it for a pair of very limited topic email lists and there are times where I want to bang my head on a wall with the silliness and stupidity that run rampant on those lists. I couldn't imagine the horrors that Art, Pete, iheart, and the rest of the staff have to deal with.

The mods have had my back on the occasions I've needed it. I've tried to have theirs. I still think everyone is getting a little carried away with all this (on both sides), but whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't know how things are out there as I've not been to other message boards, except my fishing one and the heated debates there are about what line to use. From my glimpse at the ESPN board yesterday, I'm glad for that.

The fact that I choose to spend the time here that I do, is a compliment in it's own right and the best one I know how to give.

I think the Mods have an extremely tough job. They've got their favorite posters and the posters they dislike, but despite that they do a very good job of staying objective and unbiased, doling out punishments fairly (and rarely). Its human nature to have favorites and such, but it takes a lot of discipline to be fair and objective.

I think I stated my opinion pretty clearly in Extreme's thread, so I'll repost it here:

No, its not an ego thing. Its a BS thing. As in, you're full of it. The mods busted their ass to build this place and make it what it is today. Then you, member 53,487, have the audacity to come in and tell them that some of them are doing a horrible job? You have the audaicity to call anyone who supports the mods and "bashes" you is an ass-kisser??

WTF is the matter with you?

Personally, I have donated my hard-earned money (shut up Bonef1de) to help this site along before the merger. There are many on here who donated way more than I did. You're some insignificant pissant who probably got put in his place by a mod, and now are all riled up about it. Or maybe you're posting for a certain someone who just got *****-slapped by the mods multiple times in his very own call-out thread. I don't know.

My suggestion to you is that if you're that unhappy here, leave ES and start your own message board. Shoulder the costs of bandwidth, monitor the technical difficulties, and do everything else required for running a message board. Then, in 5 years, when you've established your board for what it is, I'll come in and start ****ing about your mods and how they're doing a terrible job. Until then, I suggest you STFU and enjoy this site for what it is; the best damn Redskins fan site on the internet.

In fact, I don't even know why I took the time to respond to this...you're not even worth it.

Over the past couple of months there has been some sort of revolt a brewin', culminating with Extreme's thread. I think the mods have finally picked up the Gauntlet so to speak, and are polishing their swords. I love me some good ol' fashioned bloodshed!! :laugh: :D

Anyway, keep up the good work mods. I'm sure some of you like me, some of you don't...but I haven't been banned yet! :fingersx:

I think the MODS do a great job. I have visited many other sites and they are not run as well as Extremeskins. I have also met many of the MODS in person at the tailgates and they are great guys personally too.

I think the MODS do a great job. I have visited many other sites and they are not run as well as Extremeskins. I have also met many of the MODS in person at the tailgates and they are great guys personally too.

Except me, who you think is personally a dick, though, I thought you dug me at the tailgate :).

I think the Mods have an extremely tough job. They've got their favorite posters and the posters they dislike, but despite that they do a very good job of staying objective and unbiased, doling out punishments fairly (and rarely). Its human nature to have favorites and such, but it takes a lot of discipline to be fair and objective.

I think I stated my opinion pretty clearly in Extreme's thread, so I'll repost it here:

Over the past couple of months there has been some sort of revolt a brewin', culminating with Extreme's thread. I think the mods have finally picked up the Gauntlet so to speak, and are polishing their swords. I love me some good ol' fashioned bloodshed!! :laugh: :D

Anyway, keep up the good work mods. I'm sure some of you like me, some of you don't...but I haven't been banned yet! :fingersx:

We like almost everyone here - thats the honest sincere truth. Charm, personal humor, etc...don't translate well over the internet guys. Honestly, the staff too are some of the nicest guys on the face of the planet - its painful (for me anyway) to devote as much time as we do to this place, only to see people view you as an egomaniac, or some power hungry *****. I think a lot of folks mistake 'personal' posts we might make as a fellow member for staff statements. We are human, and occasionally (except for Art of course) may overreact. We also underreact and let stuff slide we shouldn't. No one notices those instances. We rarely, RARELY do anything to anyone. We could. Every day. Every time. We don't. A sharp comment here or there, which really seems to set some off, is a lot nicer than restricting someone's privileges or worse yet, banning them.

Bottom line, this site, as a smart guy I know frequently reminds me, isn't about us. We don't desire it to be and never have. If we say or do something, 99% of the time, its because we feel its in the best interests of the site. If folks don't believe that, I'm not sure theres anything we can do to convince them otherwise.

I do believe that 99% of the members here are good people (even the ones that make our lives difficult or create extra work for us). I wish sometimes folks would give us a little bit of the benefit of the doubt regarding our intentions and motives, but hey...it is what it is.....

I think the one thing we don't respond well to, and which maybe some are sensing, is being condescendingly told all the things that are wrong with the site, and how we should be doing things if only we were smart enough, as if we'd never done this before, have no sense, and need the help. But you know what? I've never met anyone else who appreciates that kind of input. I'm not talking about constructive suggestions - we're in the process right now getting the game/player/coaching/draft databases back up to speed, redesigning the NFL Pick'em and 'The Man' contests (fun stuff some of those criticizing haven't even been around long enough to miss), and some other good stuff....because you guys told us you missed it. We care and we work hard to make this a good site.

You guys are the silver lining and the reason this place is great. We just want to keep it that way.

Except me, who you think is personally a dick, though, I thought you dug me at the tailgate :).

I should apologize to you Art for calling you a dick. :doh: I have thought about what I said and it isn't a true reflection on my feelings towards you. I don't agree with many of your stances on certain issues and this has made me say to myself, "wow, what a dick, how can he really think that way". I don't know how to put it in words really, other than I did enjoy hanging out with you at the tailgate, but do not always "like" you on the boards.....or agree with some of the things you say. It's not that I just don't agree with some of the things you say but I don't agree strongly with some of the things you say and how you say them.

Understand? I hope so, because I don't think I put my feelings to words too well on this one. :)

We also underreact and let stuff slide we shouldn't. No one notices those instances. We rarely, RARELY do anything to anyone. We could. Every day. Every time. We don't.

I see this, all the time. I can't be the only one. The mods here strike a pretty fair balance between permissive and tyrannical. I'm convinced they're all good guys.

BTW, I think I can help Bugs' out, re: Art.

It seems to me that Art greatly enjoys the sport of verbal jousting, with actual malice intended toward no one. Even so, to be on the receiving end of just one of Art's eloquent barbs can be both humiliating and infuriating, and can leave you wondering what you did to merit the antagonism.

Then too, to see someone you like and/or agree with get verbally undressed, coated with butter, and roasted naked over an open pit, courtesy of Art's mischievous rhetoric, can be enough to make you cringe, kind of like watching the fight scene in "Cool Hand Luke."

OK Art, I'm ready, let me have it. :D

It seems to me that Art greatly enjoys the sport of verbal jousting, with actual malice intended toward no one. Even so, to be on the receiving end of just one of Art's eloquent barbs can be both humiliating and infuriating, and can leave you wondering what you did to merit the antagonism.

Then too, to see someone you like and/or agree with get verbally undressed, coated with butter, and roasted naked over an open pit, courtesy of Art's mischievous rhetoric, can be enough to make you cringe, kind of like watching the fight scene in "Cool Hand Luke."

You're not so bad yourself!! That was pretty good!! :laugh:

I should apologize to you Art for calling you a dick. :doh: I have thought about what I said and it isn't a true reflection on my feelings towards you. I don't agree with many of your stances on certain issues and this has made me say to myself' date=' "wow, what a dick, how can he really think that way". I don't know how to put it in words really, other than I did enjoy hanging out with you at the tailgate, but do not always "like" you on the boards.....or agree with some of the things you say. It's not that I just don't agree with some of the things you say but I don't agree [i']strongly[/i] with some of the things you say and how you say them.

Understand? I hope so, because I don't think I put my feelings to words too well on this one. :)

You never need to apologize to me for calling me anything you wish. I thought it was pretty funny and generally accurate as an assessment :). You may come to understand, over time, he who lurks here differs from he who lives elsewhere, almost entirely by design. I go for dick here. And, I used that line for the out of context thread, hoping it is the best one ever :).

Perhaps we don't have a failure to communicate.

I'm not talking about constructive suggestions - we're in the process right now getting the game/player/coaching/draft databases back up to speed, redesigning the NFL Pick'em and 'The Man' contests (fun stuff some of those criticizing haven't even been around long enough to miss), and some other good stuff....because you guys told us you missed it. We care and we work hard to make this a good site.

I meant to ask about those the other day. I believe they ended fairly soon before I joined, and I'm glad to hear they're coming back.

Archived