Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MMQB TE: Peter King will reevaluate his position on Monk

21dave

Or it's a couple hundred die hard skins fan sending him about 100 emails each! :silly:

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised honestly.

But, I have spoken with a lot of other fans from other teams, and they all agree that Art Monk should be in, some are even surprised that he isn't in already.

There are other players I was shocked at that wasn't mentioned like Thurman Thomas who also should be a shoe in.

Peter King has gotten how many emails from Redskins fans about Art Monk for how many years? He has basically ignored them for how long?

This time, he is actually genuinely very surprised at the amount he has gotten this time, and partly could be because of other people that he doesn't ignore (Skins fans) could be also chiming in as well.

enemy list :mad:
The only reason he's not on the enemy list is because as far as I can tell from his old writings, he LIKES Art Monk ... he just hates the Redskins.

I am almost convinced that when Pasquarelli is in the voting room, he doesn't say a single word about Art Monk but then votes against him. So while he's hurting Art's cause, he's not doing it quite like Dr. Z or Peter King or Cliff Christl, who are actively finding reasons to keep Art out.

The only reason he's not on the enemy list is because as far as I can tell from his old writings, he LIKES Art Monk ... he just hates the Redskins.

I am almost convinced that when Pasquarelli is in the voting room, he doesn't say a single word about Art Monk but then votes against him. So while he's hurting Art's cause, he's not doing it quite like Dr. Z or Peter King or Cliff Christl, who are actively finding reasons to keep Art out.

I am going on an interview he had with Tony K about 3 years ago (pre-Gibbs return) He just went off on Tony about Monk not being a HOF'er. He was so vile and ugly, Tony dropped him as a regular writer on his show. His main argument was he was a system WR at best.

I think we need to thank Mike Wilbon, Len Shapiro, and others for this change in stance. There were rumors flying around not too long ago that a faction had formed that would not vote another WR into the hall not named Jerry Rice, until Art Monk was put in. I think their influence is showing and hopefully a power shift in HOF voting is occuring. Maybe, jut maybe, one of the Hogs will finally get their due as well.

I am going on an interview he had with Tony K about 3 years ago (pre-Gibbs return) He just went off on Tony about Monk not being a HOF'er. He was so vile and ugly, Tony dropped him as a regular writer on his show. His main argument was he was a system WR at best.
Was that interview discussed on Extremeskins? It would be cool to have a link. Pasquarelli is just so hard to understand ... I was really surprised to find nothing in his ESPN.com columns where he had ever mentioned even voting against Monk. He has said it on radio a few times, but I always thought it felt forced.

And I really just can't see a Monk opponent in someone who in 1996 wrote this:

Ellard is 21 yards shy of supplanting Art Monk, who certainly will be in the Hall of Fame, for fourth place in receiving yards.
And prior to that many articles praising Monk. It really just doesn't make any sense ...

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/len-pasquarelli/

With Chuck Noll having retired from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Gibbs ranks second only to Miami's Don Shula among active head coaches in longevity with one club. Shula has 11 years on him, having begun with the Dolphins in 1970.

Clearly, Gibbs is no ordinary Joe.

Ah Lenny how times have changed, but cliches have not.

More Mailbag

Peter King

ART MONK TIME. From Steve Woods of Houston: "In response to your list of 10 players left out of the Hall of Fame, I have my own list (which I know you won't agree with):

1) Art Monk.

2) Art Monk.

3) Art Monk.

4) Art Monk.

You get my drift, and yes, I am a biased die-hard 'Skins fan. Monk had 940 career receptions, 12,000 career yards, with three Super Bowls rings. I think the presence of John Riggins on the goal line is a big reason why he didn't have quite as many touchdowns as you would have thought, given his other stats, although he does have more than several receivers already in, such as Stallworth and Swann. The guy was a tremendous player, who, in my opinion, was the heart and soul of the offense for much of the '80s. You can't do any more than that. It sure does seem like you have some sort of bias against the 'Skins, and Monk in particular, in recent years. I don't understand that. Are you a Cowboys fan?!? Please say it isn't so.''

Ain't so. I'm a fan of no football team. You may be interested to know that I am going to rethink my position on Monk this year. I don't want to be so stuck in the mud on this issue that I close my mind to the possibility that I'm wrong and that Monk really does belong. So I'm going to sit down with Joe Gibbs when I see the Redskins this summer and try to soak in what the Monk side believes I am missing. A lot of people I respect tell me I'm dead wrong on Monk -- Len Shapiro, Mike Wilbon among them, plus quieter ones with close ties to the Hall. So I'll rethink my position and let you know what I come up with.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/06/06/mmqbte/1.html

I do not respect anything Peter King expresses, to me, he is an arrogant, pompous ass who certainly has "ego issues". He thrives on controversy and as long as we try to figure out his "modus operandi", the more he finds us comical and laughs himself silly while "rushing" to the bank making deposits!!!!!!!!!!

No Doubt. Personally I may even refrain from verbally lambasting the man until he gets back to us on this. If however after his deep complentation and talk with Gibbs he comes back as stubborn as before... well I hope no one's that dense. We'll see...

well, if he doesn't change his mind I hear that Tony and Chris have nothing to do until January :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

From the link provided:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

October 30, 1996

NFL REPORT; Lions unsupportive of Fontes after he shows up Mitchell

Len Pasquarelli

Nobody ever mentions Henry Ellard as a potential Hall of Fame candidate, but the 14-year veteran has put together a portfolio with the Rams and Redskins that makes him worthy of consideration. Ellard needs just one catch Sunday at Buffalo to move past Hall of Fame receiver Charlie Joyner into fifth place on the all-time receptions list with 751. Ellard is 21 yards shy of supplanting Art Monk, who certainly will be in the Hall of Fame, for fourth place in receiving yards. "Watching him is like watching a ballet," said former Rams teammate Flipper Anderson. Added current Washington mate Bill Brooks of the 35-year-old Ellard: "He keeps himself in such great shape, he might be able to play three or four more years if he wanted." With '95 first-rounder Michael Westbrook a major disappointment, every defense in the league knows Ellard is the "go- to" guy for Gus Frerotte, but no one is able to adequately cover him.

ESPN Radio

May 17, 2005

The Dan Patrick Show

Dan Patrick: (asking about the Hall of Fame balloting) Art Monk?

Len Pasquarelli: No.

...I hate him.

Archived