Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MMQB TE: Peter King will reevaluate his position on Monk

21dave

More Mailbag

Peter King

ART MONK TIME. From Steve Woods of Houston: "In response to your list of 10 players left out of the Hall of Fame, I have my own list (which I know you won't agree with):

1) Art Monk.

2) Art Monk.

3) Art Monk.

4) Art Monk.

You get my drift, and yes, I am a biased die-hard 'Skins fan. Monk had 940 career receptions, 12,000 career yards, with three Super Bowls rings. I think the presence of John Riggins on the goal line is a big reason why he didn't have quite as many touchdowns as you would have thought, given his other stats, although he does have more than several receivers already in, such as Stallworth and Swann. The guy was a tremendous player, who, in my opinion, was the heart and soul of the offense for much of the '80s. You can't do any more than that. It sure does seem like you have some sort of bias against the 'Skins, and Monk in particular, in recent years. I don't understand that. Are you a Cowboys fan?!? Please say it isn't so.''

Ain't so. I'm a fan of no football team. You may be interested to know that I am going to rethink my position on Monk this year. I don't want to be so stuck in the mud on this issue that I close my mind to the possibility that I'm wrong and that Monk really does belong. So I'm going to sit down with Joe Gibbs when I see the Redskins this summer and try to soak in what the Monk side believes I am missing. A lot of people I respect tell me I'm dead wrong on Monk -- Len Shapiro, Mike Wilbon among them, plus quieter ones with close ties to the Hall. So I'll rethink my position and let you know what I come up with.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/06/06/mmqbte/1.html

:rubeyes:

WOW!! I'm afraid hell just got air conditioning :laugh:

No Doubt. Personally I may even refrain from verbally lambasting the man until he gets back to us on this. If however after his deep complentation and talk with Gibbs he comes back as stubborn as before... well I hope no one's that dense. We'll see...

"You may be interested to know that I am going to rethink my position on Monk this year. I don't want to be so stuck in the mud on this issue that I close my mind to the possibility that I'm wrong and that Monk really does belong. So I'm going to sit down with Joe Gibbs when I see the Redskins this summer and try to soak in what the Monk side believes I am missing. A lot of people I respect tell me I'm dead wrong on Monk -- Len Shapiro, Mike Wilbon among them, plus quieter ones with close ties to the Hall. So I'll rethink my position and let you know what I come up with."

Oh thank you Lord King! What a F-ing tool.....

Come on Joe, tell him how it is!!!

That being said, my question is this: Do one or two people really have enough influence over the other voters to block someone like Monk out? If so, the HOF voting system REALLY needs to be re-evaluated.

He must have read his description of Michael Irvin and realized what a jerk he looked like.

In fact, let's put that up one more time...

Catching 750 balls for a three-time Super Bowl winner and being the key guy in the locker room on game days ... that should make him a gimme.

That being said' date=' my question is this: Do one or two people really have enough influence over the other voters to block someone like Monk out? If so, the HOF voting system REALLY needs to be re-evaluated.[/quote']

If King changes his mind, that would be huge, but it takes 8 voters to keep someone out of the Hall of Fame.

Here's my best guess:

The Enemy (3): These are voters actively trying to keep Art Monk out of the Hall of Fame through their columns and their arguments in the voting room:

Green Bay: Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

New York (Jets): Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

At Large: Peter King, Sports Illustrated

The Doubters (3): These voters have bought many of the arguments made by the enemy, and they are probably voting against Art Monk. However, they aren't actively campaigning against Art, and maybe they could even change their minds:

Dallas: Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News

New England: Ron Borges, Boston Globe

At Large: Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

Not Sold on Monk (4):

Buffalo: Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News

Cleveland: Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Kansas City: Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS

Philadelphia: Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News

Harry Carson not being in the HOF was nearly as much of a travesty as Monk.

Now Carson is in. Monk needs to be next for justice to be done.

His argument against Monk could have been changed for Carson very easily.

That he wasn't the focus of the other team. That other players in the same position are who the other team game planned for.

That being said' date=' my question is this: Do one or two people really have enough influence over the other voters to block someone like Monk out? If so, the HOF voting system REALLY needs to be re-evaluated.[/quote']

Apparently, Petey King has much of the Hall vote in him. He is the ring leader.

WOW.

This was on the first page of the same article that Peter King wrote.

"Now on to other e-mails. And this is a big surprise: I got 16 million pieces of mail saying Art Monk should be in."

16 MILLION EMAILS about Art Monk.

It's not just Redskins fans I bet.

It seems like the entire NFL fanbase is speaking out on Art Monk's behalf.

WOW.

This was on the first page of the same article that Peter King wrote.

"Now on to other e-mails. And this is a big surprise: I got 16 million pieces of mail saying Art Monk should be in."

16 MILLION EMAILS about Art Monk.

It's not just Redskins fans I bet.

It seems like the entire NFL fanbase is speaking out on Art Monk's behalf.

:doh:

hy-per-bo-le n. - A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hyperbole

:doh:

hy-per-bo-le n. - A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hyperbole

Uhmmm, sigh at you.

16 Million emails wouldn't be a good hyperbole for 20 emails.

He has gotten a TRUCKLOAD of emails.

600,000 emails, 16 million emails, still means the nation cares.

Uhmmm, sigh at you.

16 Million emails wouldn't be a good hyperbole for 20 emails.

He has gotten a TRUCKLOAD of emails.

600,000 emails, 16 million emails, still means the nation cares.

Or it's a couple hundred die hard skins fan sending him about 100 emails each! :silly:

Archived