Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

We've discussed how they diss the mid-card titles. Maybe if  on Raw and Smackdown you had the main event be for these titles....people would care. Maybe if you made the path to their titles something that a guy spends months doing....people would care. Right now I feel like I could show up and get a US Title match tomorrow.

• Like 1

We've discussed how they diss the mid-card titles. Maybe if  on Raw and Smackdown you had the main event be for these titles....people would care. Maybe if you made the path to their titles something that a guy spends months doing....people would care. Right now I feel like I could show up and get a US Title match tomorrow.

No you couldn't. I don't remember the last time Ambrose defended it, so I'd say getting a match would be very difficult! (But I don't watch all of the E's programming, either. So I could have missed a defense or ten)

No you couldn't. I don't remember the last time Ambrose defended it, so I'd say getting a match would be very difficult! (But I don't watch all of the E's programming, either. So I could have missed a defense or ten)

Everybody, even when working a show, mentions this about the US Title. The announcers, other superstars, etc. Why aren't the writers changing this?

I think most WWE fans remember, or at least know about, the Shawn Michaels / Razor Ramon ladder match - it was the first one ever I believe. Guess what - it was for the IC title! 

I think the problem lies in upper-mid-card guys getting the IC title push, but then wanting to step it up to the world title. Nobody wants to linger below. It's a vicious cycle of sorts.

Everybody, even when working a show, mentions this about the US Title. The announcers, other superstars, etc. Why aren't the writers changing this?

I think most WWE fans remember, or at least know about, the Shawn Michaels / Razor Ramon ladder match - it was the first one ever I believe. Guess what - it was for the IC title! 

I think the problem lies in upper-mid-card guys getting the IC title push, but then wanting to step it up to the world title. Nobody wants to linger below. It's a vicious cycle of sorts.

Well, the commentators only mention stuff when they're told to. So it's by design. Probably will lead to a unification, or Ambrose heel turn when he turns and claims himself to be the longest reigning US Champion in its history or some non sense that a face will call him on. That's a long way down the road, though.

I guess the bottom line is that there is obviously a plan. No idea what that is though.

Well, the commentators only mention stuff when they're told to. So it's by design. Probably will lead to a unification, or Ambrose heel turn when he turns and claims himself to be the longest reigning US Champion in its history or some non sense that a face will call him on. That's a long way down the road, though.

I guess the bottom line is that there is obviously a plan. No idea what that is though.

If that is their plan, they came about it on an accident.

I do remember them talking to Big E about unification at one point a couple of months ago. 

I think that is what needs to happen. They need to unify the titles. It would make it more important. 

Then I'm just not with it anymore. I'd unify the top title. But that's it. If anything, I'd want writing to focus on other titles now that WM is over,. I want to see better tag teams. I want a path for the IC and US titles. I am one of the few that would like to see cruiser weight get some run again. I like the high flyers. I also hate that the women's title is named the Divas Title. Weak.

• Like 1

I agree ^

I also dislike how often certain superstars hold titles. I remember when I watched in the 90s, certain guys could boast that they were a "3 time Intercontinental Champion" or a "4-time World Wrestling Federation Champion".

Fast foward to Cena, and he's what... 13 or 14 time champion? At this point, does it even matteR?

Fast foward to Cena, and he's what... 13 or 14 time champion? At this point, does it even matteR?

No, titles change hands too often for it to matter.  When I was younger, it felt like it meant something.  I don't watch nearly as much wrestling anymore, but I barely care who the champ is, I just want to see a good match at this point.

Shoot, go look up the champions page on Wikipedia, you can sort the table by number of times the belt was held.  Most of the top names are people from within the last twenty years of the sport.  The "number of times held" is pretty meaningless at this point.

Edited by Forehead

So what do we want? Do we want the titles to be important, or do we want them to be passed around?

The fact that Ambrose hasn't even defended the title is the largest problem. Not who the champion is.

It's by design. It has to be.

I remember the old mid Atlantic Championship Wrestleing days, The Mid atlantic champion became a top contender for the United States championship. The united States Champion became the number one contender for the NWA Title. The TV champion ship was always 15 minutes or Tv time remaining. The tag team belts had a similar setup. this put more importance on the belts plus it gave the fans and the wrestlers a structure to go by. I also remember the old rule od all titles must be defended within 30 days.

One of my favorite all time matches was the all belts were defended at the same time in a tag team match. The WCW champion Ric flair was teamed with the Giant AKA the Big show. they competed against the wCW tag team champion Sing and his partner Lex Lugar who was also the united States champion. Who ever got the pin won all the belts the person being pinned had. you could also pin your own partner. Sting tried to pin Lugar a couple times to retain the tag team titles and get the United States championship. The Giant tried to pin his partner Ric Flair for the wcw title. The match ended up with Lugar pinning the Giant so everyone kept their title.

They could do something similar by having the Intercontinental Champion Big E vs the WWE Tag team Champions Vs the WWE World Heavyweight champion Daniel Bryan and the number one contender or money in the bank winner if match is held after that or bring back the hardcore title or tv title. Lots of interesting possabilities.

Ric Flairs record of 16 time world Champion use to feel like it was unbreakable. now you have quite a few 12 and 13 and 14 time champions.

Edited by Gallen5862

Don't you guys think that have so many shows and PPVs is what's driving more title changes in the past few decades?

I'm guessing they also feel that if they advertise at the start of Raw that the main event will be for the Tag belts......people won't stick around. They'd rather see a match with only their top stars or stupid contract signing. Maybe they're right. I don't know.

I still think Sting/Taker could be an awesome match.

People are saying Taker looked old in his match, but they are completely neglecting that he injured his hip at the start of the match AND sustained a concussion. In previous years, he he'd his own.

He's not moving like he used to, but both he AND Sting could put on one last awesome match if they wanted to. I firmly believe that.

Sometimes I think people see a guy around for awhile and write them off. That doesn't have to be the case.

A Sting/Taker match, if given the time, could work out quite well.

The other option, and one I REALLY like...

Orton and Batista remain a team. They don't really like each other, but they remain on the same page. They start running through legends together. Trying to prove their worth. They destroy everyone. Starting with guys like Duggan and Slaughter, working their way up to guys like Piper and any other big name legends that can still take a bump. Once they run through everyone (SummerSlam-ish), they say there is no one left to beat. Undertaker and the streak are resting in peace and they've run through every other WWE legend that they could.

Through the next 8 months it begins to play out and the match at WrestleMania 31 winds up being:: The Undertaker AND Sting vs. Batista and Orton.

The tag match will hide some of their age. And will still give fans something to enjoy. And it'll send both of them out on a winning note.

Gallen stop hacking KDawg's account

• Like 1

Don't you guys think that have so many shows and PPVs is what's driving more title changes in the past few decades?

I'm guessing they also feel that if they advertise at the start of Raw that the main event will be for the Tag belts......people won't stick around. They'd rather see a match with only their top stars or stupid contract signing. Maybe they're right. I don't know.

That's a good point. Until the cheaper PPVs came around (In Your House), it was the Rumble, Mania, KOTR, Summerslam, Survivor Series. I'm sure I'm missing one... but 5 or 6 PPVs a year meant less title changes. I also feel like before the internet and abundance of media, it was easier and sensible to write longer storylines. But hey, I guess the business changes.

To the second point, I agree... but who says it has to be the main event? Let's be honest, 95% of the time, belts don't change hands on Raw or Smackdown so no need to bill it as a main event. 

• Like 1

Lmao. I checked the user name like three or four times while reading it

And what the hell, while I'm here, here's the wrestling site I've been reading for like 15 years now. Always check out their reviews of the PPV's (they breakdown and rate each match). Was just looking so figured I'd share

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/home.html

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

Not sure why my idea is that far fetched. Sting is signed according to the dirt sheets, and I doubt Taker wrestled his last match and will have it end on that dud of a match. *shrug*

Not sure why my idea is that far fetched. Sting is signed according to the dirt sheets, and I doubt Taker wrestled his last match and will have it end on that dud of a match. *shrug*

Rumor has it that he's done. He legit wanted the streak to end before he gave it up.

Dude has left his last few games in awful shape. I doubt he wants to keep doing that to himself.