Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dead weight

Jskins_83

Threre comes a point when you just have to give up on a guy. This offseason for the Skins. That guy should be Taylor Jacobs.

When are we going to realize that this guy is a bum? He runs horrible routes, he has rock hands, and he gets hurt. So why the hell is he still a Redskin? Especially after alll of the new aquistions. We have 4 receivers who are starter material. We then have James Thrash off the bench as well as very sure handed tight ends and h-backs in the form of Chris Cooley, Mike Sellers, and Christian Fauria.

I know, some people may not consider James Thrash a quality receiver in the NFL. However, he is reliable, rarely hurt, and he (along with Sellers) are the backbone of special teams coverage.

Anyways, I rarely post too much. However the question on the frontpage of Redskins.com which had to do with which young player on the skins was going to have a breakout season. And just seeing his name on that list is annoying. He is not going to have a break out season. Ever!

Sometimes it is just that time to drop the dead weight and move on. Sorry Mr. Jacobs. You went to the wrong Florida school to have success

His internal clock is damaged ... he turns on the juice and impresses all the coaches this time of year ... around mini-camps and the 1st week of training camp. Then he gets injured and you don't see much of him anymore.

I was really high on him and was hoping for good things from him ... especially after the end of 2004 when it looked like he was starting to stretch things and become more of a threat on offense.

Now that we had 2005 with Patten's injury, Taylor was in prime position to take the #2 position and run with it. Instead, he had problems getting separation and lost the trust from Brunell.

The telling play was the throw by Brunell in the playoffs against Tampa. He could have fought for the ball but it was snagged by a defender who had tight coverage (Brunell was partially at fault for throwing the ball to such a well covered target), but instead the defender jumped around and snatched the ball away and then go tackled. Jacobs looked lost during the play. He will get one last chance this offseason to see if he can stick, but I don't expect it to happen.

If Marriage is so sacred, and back in the day any man over 30 was a fraud if not married: Why are so many saying its blasphemy if you even hint Jesus was married? QUOTE]

Hoo, boy...if you get your history from Dan Brown, I guess I won't bother engaging in a logical discussion. I'll only comment that your view is overly simplistic.

If Marriage is so sacred, and back in the day any man over 30 was a fraud if not married: Why are so many saying its blasphemy if you even hint Jesus was married? QUOTE]

Hoo, boy...if you get your history from Dan Brown, I guess I won't bother engaging in a logical discussion. I'll only comment that your view is overly simplistic.

:wtf:

WHere did you get that quote, it wasnt said in this thread??

Yeah, bnacpa, that play stuck out in my mind too but my impression was that he looked more timid than "lost". Kind of Freddy Mitchell-esque; i.e., more worried about the impending hit than catching the ball. Not that I wouldn’t be but then I’m not a professional football player. ;)

Don't cross the streams!!! It would be bad.

i dunno what the deal it. the guy gets little playing time and when he's on the field he doesn't get thrown to often. however the coaches love him. i think he's a player gibbs wants around but his production is lacking. he probably will stick till the end of his contract unless someone really outshines him.

on a sidenote i wouldn't be surprised if lloyd or randel el get little playing time or balls thrown to them this year.

I'm not thrilled with what we've seen out of TJ either, but sometimes it is just a question of the scheme and coaching, etc. Maybe the kid can play, but just not here? Players are not identically interchangeable parts and maybe he really does show something in practice but can't seem to get it done in a game. How long have we been crying about dumping Jimoh, but then look at the way he played ST last year. Moss would never be a #1, then he came here and had a career season and may still get better.

Sometimes a guy just needs to look elsewhere, but I do hate it when someone leaves and becomes a star for someone else.

I agree this guy is horable i have never seen him do anything worthwhile, personaly i think trash is dead weight to , i know hes a good special teamer, but he cant catch at all, never makes a cluch play.

He made a clutch 4th down catch vs Dallas (1st game) that helped keep a 1st Moss TD drive alive. Also made a clutch catch vs the Eagles (2nd game) on third to keep a scoring drive going. He is also a beast on Special Teams. Gotta keep Thrash, and it doesn't hurt that he is a stand-up guy. :cheers:

THe #4 and #5 WR doesn't have to be a game breaker. He doesn't even have to be a good WR. What he has to be is a good Special Teamer. Both Jacobs and Thrash are very good on ST.

I do agree that as a WR, Jacobs is severly lacking. I don't remember which game it was but the most distinct impression of him in my mind occurred last year after he became a starter. It was a 3rd down and the ball was thrown to the outside and Jacobs had two hands on it for the grab, but he forgot to drag his foot. Watching the replays it looked as if he was scared to drag his foot because then he would fall down. That is when I started hoping Jimmy Farriss could play.

I don't know who will be cut, but if Jacobs does get cut post June 1st, I wouldn't be surprised.

The guy had his chance to shine last season when both Patten AND Thrash went down with injuries.

He did nothing. The only time we really heard from him, was in that WP article that talked about running off the field in the Seattle playoff game, claiming to have a concussion. :doh:

Jacobs had a chance to move up last season, and he didn't take advantage of it at all. That doesn't mean he's going to be cut this year, but it certainly didn't help his chances to stick around.

I agree this guy is horable i have never seen him do anything worthwhile, personaly i think trash is dead weight to , i know hes a good special teamer, but he cant catch at all, never makes a cluch play.
I don't know what Thrash you've been watching, but the one on the Redskins is known for catching the ball in a clutch situation. He is known for his third down receptions and being a straight monster on STs.

You couldn't be more wrong about thrash.

I disagree with the guys who said Taylor is dead weight. There's gotta be a reason he's still on the team. If Al Saunders still thinks that Jacobs can contribute after preseason, he should be on the team. What I want to know is, how will you guys react if Jacobs has a breakout year? There are plenty of players that have been able to surprise us, ie Santana Moss.

Alot of ignorance being thrown around in this thread.

He runs horrible routes, and has rock hands? Care to back that up with anything solid?

Its amazing how quickly people are to jump on a player who is only 24. There are very few GMs in NFL history who would cut a 2nd round draft pick at age 24.

So what you propose that we cut a 2nd round draft pick, at age 24, just because he hasnt shown YOU what you want(and who DID the last couple seasons?), even though he plays great on special teams, in order to open up cap room for...... who? All this ignoring the fact we had 2 key injuries to WR last season and that we would need this player if we had that happen again this season.

Archived