Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dead weight

Jskins_83

I really had no opinion on this guy until the Seattle game (y'know the one in the playoffs). When he blew that first pass attempt that would have been a first down, I officially started to hate him. It hit him right in the hands and a catch would have made Seattle respect him as a receiving threat. But no. The rest of the game Seattle was able to dial into Moss because Jacobs proved he's a stiff.

As far as why he doesn't get cut, I've heard he's very cheap and it would actually cost us MORE to get rid of him.

Moss, Thrash, Lloyd, ARE, Patten, Jacobs. I think it really depends on if the Skins will keep 6 WR's. Somehow, I doubt they will. If I'm not mistaken, they kept 5 last year. The 6th or 7th Wr's they potentially keep will probably be on the practice squad, which Jacobs isn't eligible for. That leaves a competition between Patten and Jacobs for slot #5.

I've already mentioned something like this. I think the only reason we are reluctant to cut him is because he is young. But I think he should have stepped up last year to keep his spot on the team. Moss could've used his help in the playoffs.

I'm not thrilled with what we've seen out of TJ either, but sometimes it is just a question of the scheme and coaching, etc. Maybe the kid can play, but just not here? Players are not identically interchangeable parts and maybe he really does show something in practice but can't seem to get it done in a game. How long have we been crying about dumping Jimoh, but then look at the way he played ST last year. Moss would never be a #1, then he came here and had a career season and may still get better.

Sometimes a guy just needs to look elsewhere, but I do hate it when someone leaves and becomes a star for someone else.

I don't think either Moss or Jimoh ever took themselves out of a playoff game whining "I think I have a concussion."

Newsflash... if you can say it while walking off the field, you probably don't have one. Forget the injuries. He has had a couple truly freak injuries. What he doesn't have is intestinal fortitude. He couldn't even step up and be a valid #2 when the job literally fell in his lap.

He has had a couple truly freak injuries. What he doesn't have is intestinal fortitude. He couldn't even step up and be a valid #2 when the job literally fell in his lap.

"Testicular fortitude"

I think you guys are being kind of harsh. Yeah the guy may not have as much talent as Moss, Lloyd, ARE, or Patten. He'll be fighting Thrash for the #5 spot. But man, the guy was good enough to make it to the NFL. Cut him a little break. Im sure he tries as best he can. All he can do now is do what he's been doing, show up for practice. And if they decided to play him in the preseason maybe he'll get a chance later on if theres an injury (God Forbid). Tone down the criticism already....don't see you playing in the NFL.

What losses are there with having this kid on the roster? So you can have another Jimmy Farris?

He's good on special teams, hard-worker, lots of talent. 4.4 forty speed, 6'1"

Not one #2 WR in Washington has flourished with Brunell at QB. That's not an indictment on Brunell, just a fact. Not a very astute observation to try to clown on a guy that everyone else has tried to take a shot at too.

Coaches like him enough to keep around, that's good enough for me. If/when they decide to let him go that'll be fine-- they know what they are doing.

Supposidly he does impress coaches in practice, but he sucks in the games. Well now that we have all of these guys that can catch I do not see a need for Jacobs, however, he is good friends with some of the players and it's not like releasing him will allow us to do anything different than we would. He makes less than 1/2 a mil per year. If we need some extra money, get rid of him.

Jacobs is still on his rookie contract and no doubt Gibbs didn't want to release him before Al Saunders had a chance to see him work in the offseason.

There really is no harm in giving a former #2 pick a chance to win a job in the summer. Again, his salary is not an issue.

The Skins are deep at WR and Jacobs will have a hard time making the team in any event.

But why cut anyone before Saunders and Gibbs get a chance to look at them together? :)

You guys need to relax. I'd take him over Thrash any day. You guys keep saying how a young 24 year old didnt step up when Patten got injured. Well guess what? Neither did Thrash. Yes, Thrash had a couple of first downs for us but he was wide opened and it wasnt like he made spectacular catches. He caught ONE deep ball last year and immediately went down. The guy is slow(for a WR) also. If anything we should cut Thrash. Jacobs has a lot of talent. I think we should give him one more year before we give up on him. Too give up on him now is just way too soon.

Jacobs is still on his rookie contract and no doubt Gibbs didn't want to release him before Al Saunders had a chance to see him work in the offseason.

There really is no harm in giving a former #2 pick a chance to win a job in the summer. Again, his salary is not an issue.

The Skins are deep at WR and Jacobs will have a hard time making the team in any event.

But why cut anyone before Saunders and Gibbs get a chance to look at them together? :)

Im not looking at it as a monitary move, more like a move to free up Roster spots. Id like to se 6'2'' 233lb Ron Johnson (on our current roster) beat out Jacobs for a reciever spot. Jacobs had every oppritunity in the world to secure a starting spot. Oh, and this "no #2 WR flourished under Brunell" come off that, Jacobs DROPPED passes, and I think he gets shook when it comes to game time, plain and simple. I see "little brittle" Jacobs gone this year if any of the other WR's rookie or not, stay healthy or show even a glimpse of promise. :2cents:

Jacobs and Thrash will make the team as special teamers or Gibbs will have to choose btw. one of the 2.

Guaranteed that Moss, ARE and lloyd make the squad.

If the Skins keep 5 WRs, then either Patten, Jacobs or Thrash will have to go.

If we keep 6.....then more than likely all these guys will be on the Squad and Jacobs and Thrash will be key ST guys.

THe #4 and #5 WR doesn't have to be a game breaker. He doesn't even have to be a good WR. What he has to be is a good Special Teamer. Both Jacobs and Thrash are very good on ST.

I do agree that as a WR, Jacobs is severly lacking. I don't remember which game it was but the most distinct impression of him in my mind occurred last year after he became a starter. It was a 3rd down and the ball was thrown to the outside and Jacobs had two hands on it for the grab, but he forgot to drag his foot. Watching the replays it looked as if he was scared to drag his foot because then he would fall down. That is when I started hoping Jimmy Farriss could play.

Definitely. A good #4 or #5 isn't necessarily a game changing receiver, but more of a reliable backup that can play good on special teams.

Hopefully Moss, Lloyd and RE take him under their wings and help him grow into the position. Plenty come into the league with high expectations only to find that the lights are a bit more brighter and intense in the big leagues. It might take him a while to mature into a reliable WR but if he can produce on ST for a reasonable salary hit, let him stay.

Wow...from 2nd round possible starter to #6 receiver and "Well he plays a darn good special teams" status...lol :(

And what, exactly does Jacobs do on special teams that is so irreplacable?...Is he good? Yep...Can what he brings to ST be replaced? You betcha. Hell, Walt Harris was good on ST, too...he's in San Francisco now..lol :laugh:

Dudes a straight scrub. His rating in Madden is too high as well. He played in 15 games last year and had 11 catches for 100 yards with no number 2 on the team whatsoever and he was a 2nd rounder a few years ago.

Maybe they keep him but his days are numbered.

Dudes a straight scrub. His rating in Madden is too high as well. He played in 15 games last year and had 11 catches for 100 yards with no number 2 on the team whatsoever and he was a 2nd rounder a few years ago.

if your age is accurate, I'd say you're days are numbered-old timer!

hes a scrub? how many catches did YOU have last year ;-)

Archived