Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"An Inconvenient Truth" (movie)

illone

Did you also cite some sources that point out that the Earth goes though different phases?

Of course it does but to the vast majority of the science community is in agreement over how much mankind has affected the world and that global warming is indeed a serious threat. I mean 6 billion people on Earth, VAST amounts of pollution/fumes being emitted via cars, trains, boats, nuclear plants, etc.; do you honestly beleive that we haven't contributed to the degradation of nature and the environment?

Just to point out the 19 of the 20th hottest years ever have occured since 1980. The hottest being 98 and 05 I beleive.

Some people here may be interested in reading the Michael Chrichton book "State of Fear." It utilizes this topic as a backdrop for a (well-written) fictional suspense-thriller, but is full of very real first-order citations on these matters. There is one main character who is a skilled "debunker" and others who are true-believers. There is an eventual storyline bias that emerges, but also an afterward by the author describing his more unsure POV. The handful of citations that I had time to check out were valid, and from reputable scientific sources. It's a fun read, and it was interesting to see the arguments laid out as a plot device that nevertheless read like a relatively high quality debate.

Some people here may be interested in reading the Michael Chrichton book "State of Fear." It utilizes this topic as a backdrop for a (well-written) fictional suspense-thriller, but is full of very real first-order citations on these matters. There is one main character who is a skilled "debunker" and others who are true-believers. There is an eventual storyline bias that emerges, but also an afterward by the author describing his more unsure POV. The handful of citations that I had time to check out were valid, and from reputable scientific sources. It's a fun read, and it was interesting to see the arguments laid out as a plot device that nevertheless read like a relatively high quality debate.
I was pretty disappointed in that book. When I picked it up I was looking forward to a good scientific debate wrapped in a typically well-told Crichton tale. Instead, I was treated to a decent story but no actual debate. All proponents of global warming evidence were either shallow and empty-headed or deviously exploitative and even murderous. Opponents of gobal warming as an idea were highly competent and level-headed. The "believers" were children, the "debunkers" were adults, and the couple of believers who became debunkers went through a maturation process and became men before our very eyes. Most disapointing was the contention that global warming advocates cherry-pick their data. No doubt often true - but that is exactly what Crichton does throughout the book. Despite his backtracking in the afterward, including the somewhat facetious "everybody has an agenda except me", the novel presents a selective and biased viewpoint. I expected better.

I was pretty disappointed in that book. When I picked it up I was looking forward to a good scientific debate wrapped in a typically well-told Crichton tale. Instead, I was treated to a decent story but no actual debate. All proponents of global warming evidence were either shallow and empty-headed or deviously exploitative and even murderous. Opponents of gobal warming as an idea were highly competent and level-headed. The "believers" were children, the "debunkers" were adults, and the couple of believers who became debunkers went through a maturation process and became men before our very eyes. Most disapointing was the contention that global warming advocates cherry-pick their data. No doubt often true - but that is exactly what Crichton does throughout the book. Despite his backtracking in the afterward, including the somewhat facetious "everybody has an agenda except me", the novel presents a selective and biased viewpoint. I expected better.

While I enjoyed it more than you, apparently, you do give a fair critique. I found in interesting to about a dozen of his citations while I was researching something work-related. I use a university data base for that, which has easy access to a lot of peer review and professional journals and found his citations held up well. That was an area I hadn't pursued that extensively before. That "fun" may have accented the overall enjoyment I attach to reading the book, but again, I can see your points. Also, I can be a cheap date when it comes to adventure stories. :laugh:

Come on, man, lighten up. It was just fiction!

I'm sorry. I just wanted to be the one using that line for once. :D

Archived