Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Earnhardt Jr mentions skins fans

chickenlipper

George Preston Marshall used to bring in Southern High School bands to play at halftime,

this was back when halftimes were telecast on TV the same as the games. It really built loyalty to the Redskins in many towns in the south. It was concidered to be a big honor to have your HS selected to play at halftime for the Redskins, it was the Highlight of the season for bands, even more than being invited to play at the Macy's Parade in NYC.

Jr. is a die hard skins fan. He was asked

" if you weren't a nascar driver, what would you wanna be"? He said "I would love to be a sfaety for the Washington Redskins"!!!

This was on nascar.com 10 questions with Dale Jr.!

do you have a link for that?

Am I the only one wondering WHAT IN THE WORLD one does to "earn" the nickname Batman such that everyone calls you that?

:paranoid:

The details of the story are lengthy and to a certain degree inconsequential.

We'll say that it involved wearing a Batman shirt to a State competition when everyone else was wearing a uniform, wearing a utility belt [i'm serious], stealing the Batman kid's costume off our Homecoming float, and doing some things with a grappling hook.

And I didn't mean to start a Batfight. That was the other guy.

He's probably just Deathstroke posing as Batman to lead the Outsiders to a bigger hole than they can get out of.

That happened recently, you know.

:logo:

North Carolina is still Redskins Country!

I live in Rocky Mount (Northeastern NC). There are still a lot of Redskins fans here. When the Panthers aren't playing, the local stations automatically show the Redskins. In fact when the CBS (AFC) stations have the ability to show a Redskins game like when we are playing AFC competition, they show it opposite the Panthers.

The local stores carry Redskins merchandise. In fact JC Penney normally has a bunch of Redskins shirts and jerseys in the store.

GO SKINS!

MC

North Carolina is still Redskins Country!

I live in Rocky Mount (Northeastern NC). There are still a lot of Redskins fans here. When the Panthers aren't playing, the local stations automatically show the Redskins. In fact when the CBS (AFC) stations have the ability to show a Redskins game like when we are playing AFC competition, they show it opposite the Panthers.

The local stores carry Redskins merchandise. In fact JC Penney normally has a bunch of Redskins shirts and jerseys in the store.

GO SKINS!

MC

Makes sense. Most of NE N.C. is closer to D.C. than to Charlotte. Just like Roanoke is closer to Charlotte than D.C., although I still consider that Redskins country. They (the Panthers) haven't spread everywhere yet.

Charlotte representing ! ! !

Although I am from DC. haha.

Happy to see so many diehard Redskins fans here.

I was out on a Sunday night 2 years ago, wearing a Dave Butz jersey. An older gentlemen literally grabs me by the shoulder (probably in his late 60's) and says nice to see some folks around here that have some tradition. He had a Redskins medallion/charm necklace on. My response was simply, "HTTR born and bred".

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/motorsports/14624466.htm

click link for full article

10 More Questions with Dale Jr.

Editor's note: Dale Earnhardt Jr. sat down in Darlington, S.C., for a one-on-one interview with Observer sports columnist Scott Fowler on May 12. Some of Earnhardt's comments, as well as the questions, are edited for clarity and brevity. Here are 10 more questions that did not appear in Saturday's sports section.

Q: You're a huge Washington Redskins fan. Why?

Why Redskins? The first game I saw was when they beat the Miami Dolphins (on Jan. 30, 1983, in the Super Bowl). I was 8 years old. That was it. John Riggins, Art Monk, Darrell Green -- I started pulling for those guys and for Joe Gibbs.

Q: Did you want to play football?

A: That was my favorite sport as a kid and it was my dream to play for the Skins when I got older. I never played in high school, though. I was too small.

Q: You've been voted NASCAR's most popular driver by fans for the past three years in a row. There's a red army at every race, cheering for you. Is it a burden to be so popular?

A: I didn't have any expectations of being in the role that I'm in. Just like anybody, I have good days and bad days. I don't think that the attention and the notoriety is responsible for your bad days. It's just like anybody else. You have something happen that might tick you off. … Something didn't go your way, something didn't happen like you wanted it to. You have to deal with it.

Q: What do you want to accomplish as a driver before your career ends?

A: I want to win a championship, obviously. I'd be happy with just one, but I'd like to get as many as I can. I would like to get one, to be able to call myself a champion. As far as winning races, I want to win every one I start. But I haven't forgotten or haven't gotten rid of the way I felt when I first started.

Q: What was that feeling?

A: When I first started, I thought, `Man, am I going to win a race?' Then when I'd win one, I'd say, `What if I only win a couple of races in my career?' I never daydreamed of 50 wins or 80 wins. I just always wondered and sort of set my goals at just trying to make a living, doing my best to make a living.

So I exceeded that goal, although that wasn't a very high goal. But for me, that was enough. I was satisfied.

Q: And now you've won 17 Cup races.

A: I feel pretty solid about that. I'd love to win 200 races like Richard Petty. But if I set out with that [200] as a goal and at the end of my career when it isn't accomplished, I won't be happy with myself. And I want to always be happy with myself. Maybe I'm selling myself short. I don't know.

Q: How fast do you drive a streetcar?

A: It depends on if I have somebody in the car or I don't. If I'm riding by myself, I drive a little fast, probably over the speed limit by 5 or 10 miles per hour. if I've got somebody with me, I'm normally playing my iPod, I'm like, `Man, have you heard this song?' I'm probably 5 mph under the speed limit then.

Jr is a Skins fan, he says so a lot.

Plus, wasnt he at training camp last year for a day?

yea he was I do remember that and the media asked him if would ever want to drive for Gibbs racing and he said yea if Joe would want him and Joe said jokingly only if he could afford Jr.

Am I the only one wondering WHAT IN THE WORLD one does to "earn" the nickname Batman such that everyone calls you that?

:paranoid:

Maybe one of these guys can post some pictures of them hanging by their feet sleeping or something.

I know this is about JR, but what about Denny Hamlin? When he was a kid he stood in line for 3 hours(I think) waiting for Joe Gibbs' autograph, now he drives for Gibbs in the FEDEX car. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Hamlin

http://www.whowon.com/Primedia/pm_storiesresults.asp?StoryID=181950

In a story told on NBC during his Bud Shootout victory, Hamlin relayed that he grew up a huge Washington Redskins fan and once waited in line for more than three hours as an 11-year-old just to meet the football team’s legendary head coach. That coach was Joe Gibbs, the man who is now Hamlin’s boss and who returned to the NFL sidelines two years ago.

Denny Hamlin is hands down MY favorite racer...

Also I'm representing UNC Greensboro's Redskin Nation... Redskins Loyalty in NC >Panthers Loyalty in NC

Archived