Extremeskins

School questionnaire with "how do you know you don't like gay sex?"

Thiebear

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=424003

The survey says what?

Sexual-orientation questions cause stir at Port high school

By TOM KERTSCHER

Posted: May 15, 2006

Port Washington - Parents are angry and school leaders are promising action in response to a "Heterosexual Questionnaire," approved by two teachers, that asked students questions such as: "If you have never slept with someone of your same gender, then how do you know you wouldn't prefer it?"

Hundreds of Port Washington High School students were told to submit written answers and discuss the survey.

The questionnaire was distributed by a student organization, which then led a full class-period discussion. Two teachers approved distribution of the survey. The principal did not.

How does the principal not and it still happens?

And I may be sheltered but I am fairly sure that just because I've never gone down on a guy, doesn't mean I'm not fairly sure I think is ******* nasty.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss...

Now woman on woman.... I'll give you that, but that's more art than sex per-say... so its a side argument...

I can't believe what schools do now. I'm home schooling my kids. This is retarded. I certainly hope these two teachers got fired and will never work again anywhere.

not to discourage homeschooling, but these are big time stories for a reason. they're news because it doesn't happen often.

and it sure as hell aint happening in loudoun county, va.

not to discourage homeschooling, but these are big time stories for a reason. they're news because it doesn't happen often.

and it sure as hell aint happening in loudoun county, va.

I was just saying that as a joke. Like sayin, "I give up!"

No, you're right it doesn't happen often, but things have been going to hell in a handbasket with our schools for awhile now.

That really is a amazingly stupid question.

Edit: After reading the article there is some context here that is not included in the first post of this thread.

Students in the group presenting the survey were trying to convey that "students who have an alternative lifestyle get asked these questions every day, so please be considerate. It was an exercise in compassion and understanding that did not work out real well," Woelfel said.
That puts a whole different spin on things. I have seen a gay coworker have the "How do you know you wouldn't like sleeping with a women?" question several times and he hated it and let it be known that he gets asked that all the time.

I still disagree with the survey completely and think that kids are being bombarded with sex and politics too much. However putting the question in the context above does make it seem more reasonable.

I still disagree with the survey completely and think that kids are being bombarded with sex and politics too much. However putting the question in the context above does make it seem more reasonable.

Agreed, in that context it is a lot different and also agree that they shouldn't be talking about this crap in high school.

How is it different?

How is either question a good question in school?

I haven't seen anyone say it's a good question in school. I certainly don't think it is.

As for how the question is different. Context means everything. At face value the question appears to be aimed at challenging you to first try gay sex before deciding if you don't like it. It's a common question asked about food "How do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it" can be heard used in that fashion in just about every sushi place in the country.

With the context however it becomes a question inteded to shock you with the aim of understanding that this same shock is experienced by gays who are hit with this question all the time.

Do you disagree? If so explain.

That puts a whole different spin on things. I have seen a gay coworker have the "How do you know you wouldn't like sleeping with a women?" question several times and he hated it and let it be known that he gets asked that all the time.

So do 2 wrongs make a right? I don't think so. I have a gay coworker a couple offices down. I've never heard anyone ask him that.

So do 2 wrongs make a right? I don't think so. I have a gay coworker a couple offices down. I've never heard anyone ask him that.

First of all I don't see either question as wrong. Asked to an adult I wouldn't be upset about either. Not all topics are comfortable and role reversal to prove a point is a valid and effective strategy at times. Just look at the shock value the question had in this thread alone.

What makes this wrong IMO is that it was given to kids that are, as I've said before, bombarded too heavily with sex and politics as is. Parents were not involved and administrators were not involved which leads me to believe the people distributing this knew they wouldn't have gotten the green light but went ahead and did it anyway.

Well, if it turned out that this questionnaire was distributed by female gym teachers to their female students, that would explain a lot. :)

Really though, it just looks like the teachers overstepped their bounds. And I expect that the principal didn't find out about this until after it happened.

I haven't seen anyone say it's a good question in school. I certainly don't think it is.

As for how the question is different. Context means everything. At face value the question appears to be aimed at challenging you to first try gay sex before deciding if you don't like it. It's a common question asked about food "How do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it" can be heard used in that fashion in just about every sushi place in the country.

With the context however it becomes a question inteded to shock you with the aim of understanding that this same shock is experienced by gays who are hit with this question all the time.

Do you disagree? If so explain.

You can't say neither is o.k. but the "context" is o.k.

It's not o.k. period... This is high school so asking either is not o.k...

Discussing it during a full class day makes it worse...

Not having permission from the administration makes it fireable.

Not having permission from the parents makes it the norm... and is sad...

Its not different than talking about fat chicks, black chicks, korean chicks, turkish chicks.. That question will shock anyone that doesnt like it...

I did try sushi against my better judgement and found it tasted like uncooked fish... I'm going to trust my gut on the gay sex question....

I'm almost positive other questions posed to male on male sex is much worse than "if you havent tried sex with a woman how do you know"....

Archived