Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what constitutes the "south"

MissU28

That's a cultural rivalry thing.

SoCal revolves around LA, includes San Diego, and implies beaches, Hollywood, automobiles and freeways, etc. NoCal revolves around San Francisco, includes Sacto and San Jose and implies forests, hippies, high tech, wine and food snobs, etc.. Californians tend to identify with one or the other in an ongoing cultural war between the two.

I know it makes sense that way, but San Fran is still not in the Northern part of CA. It was probably the people in San Fran that started calling themselves NoCal so they could seperate themselves form the SoCal stereotype. They are essentially saying we are North of the surfers, so we are NoCal. Kind of like that song someone posted saying Michigan is the West because it isn't the East. I just think it is misleading to people who don't know California.

Kind of like that song someone posted saying Michigan is the West because it isn't the East. I just think it is misleading to people who don't know California.

Are you referring to the Michigan Alma Mater, "Hail to the Victors"? The University (and i would assume the song) have been around since the 1880s, so therefore the line "Champions of the West" is/was appropriate.

At this point in the sentence I was ready to laugh my ass off if it ended with "Cracker Barrel."

:laugh:

Technically we can tell people that we did :laugh:

I'll post some pictures later tonight if I remember :)

North Florida is "the south".

South Florida is full of snowbirds and Yankees.

Probably the simplest way to tell if you're in The South: Walk into a restaurant and order Sweet Tea.

If it's so strong and so sweet that even after the ice melts it's still strong, then you're in the South.

If they say they don't have sweet tea, but they've got sugar packets, then you aren't.

Having lived in a border state (WV), and two states actually IN the South (SC and NC), and traveled the country extensively, I'd say that the South is a cultural distinction more than anything.

These factors help:

1) The sweet tea test is dead on- can you get a glass of sweet tea at every restaurant?

2) Waffle house count- also a good test

3) Do the locals eat grits?

4) If you're asking your friends if they want to go somewhere, do you say "Do you guys want to go..." or do you say "Do y'all want to go..."

Now Florida is a tough state to determine b/c there are so many people living there that have moved from northern states. But Florida, in many parts, is decidedly Southern.

Texas is out, even though some of the factors apply. It's not the South. It's either Southwest or a category unto itself. The primary image of a southerner is not a Cowboy.

Maryland and Northern Virginia are out.

All of West Virginia south of Beckley is in. (One county in southern WV, Mercer, actually tried to succede from the Confederacy AND the Union to form its own state).

The Wikipedia thing included Delaware? Now I know why I never trust Wikipedia for anything... lol

What about Arkansas

Its a weird thing the 'south' - i wouldn't consider Texas as part of the 'south,' but i would consider Tenn (hell, zoony says it all the time and he lives there) and Tenn. is pretty far north. I think it has a lot to do with loyalties during the Civil War.

bingo!

Texas is out, even though some of the factors apply. It's not the South. It's either Southwest or a category unto itself. The primary image of a southerner is not a Cowboy.

Yeah it is more a whole different world,kinda like the cajuns.

My dad used to say anyone north of the Red River was a yank ,and anyone to the east a carpetbagger...He was a sweet old man :laugh:

Texas is not the South. I know Texans like to think so, but it is not true.

The South is:

Virginia

north Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Alabama

Mississippi

Tennessee

Louisiana

Arkansas, Kentucky, and West Viriginia are all northern / midwestern states, contrary to what many believe.

Texas is not even on the radar.

thank you!! :applause: though i don't quite agree with florida...geographically south, but not MY type o' south

That's a cultural rivalry thing.

SoCal revolves around LA, includes San Diego, and implies beaches, Hollywood, automobiles and freeways, etc. NoCal revolves around San Francisco, includes Sacto and San Jose and implies forests, hippies, high tech, wine and food snobs, etc.. Californians tend to identify with one or the other in an ongoing cultural war between the two.

SoCal is soooo much better ;)

thank you!! :applause: though i don't quite agree with florida...geographically south, but not MY type o' south

next time you're down here, leave the beach and go inland 50 miles or so and you'll change your mind especially north florida. you need to get around some of those florida "crackers" pronouced craka' :laugh: they could really give west-by-goddians a run for the money except for the goat thing :silly:

If you dont have any teeth left youre from the South :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Seriously, The South is an attittude more than a physical space of territory. Yet most say the south begins somewhere around Fredericksburg and gets worse from there. :cheers::cheers::cheers: :helmet: :helmet: Heres to drinking with bowl-legged women. :):):)

If you dont have any teeth left youre from the South :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Seriously, The South is an attittude more than a physical space of territory. Yet most say the south begins somewhere around Fredericksburg and gets worse from there. :cheers::cheers::cheers: :helmet: :helmet: Heres to drinking with bowl-legged women. :):):)

speaking of the south, people from Berryville VA. have the coolest accent I've ever heard. very close to elmer fudd I think elmer must have been from Berryville.

next time you're down here, leave the beach and go inland 50 miles or so and you'll change your mind especially north florida. you need to get around some of those florida "crackers" pronouced craka' :laugh: they could really give west-by-goddians a run for the money except for the goat thing :silly:

well, i've only been to Florida once (sad, since my dad has lived there for over 10 years)...and he lives in Newport Richey....right outside of Tampa. DEFINITELY not what I'd consider "the deep south". But Florida to me is 1) a lot of retired people....2)Miami- lots of Cubans 3) Disney World.... and 4) Key West.... none of which paint the picture of the south... the south to me is jumbalaya/okra/collard greens-eatin, sweet tea-havin, plantation folk

Hence...NOT texas

If there is no sweet tea it is not the south!

Pez swears that I am still in the south. I swear I am not as I can rarely find sweet tea!

No to me Richmond Va and below is southern and as far over as LA

I'd say the "South" ends at, but includes, Texas. Texans are a special breed of southerner, but I think they still count. It depends on what you're talking about though.

East Texas definately has southern flavor,whoever said anything east of houston pretty well nailed it. Tyler and El Paso are like two different worlds,seems like when ya get out of the Piney Woods customs change rapidly.

well, i've only been to Florida once (sad, since my dad has lived there for over 10 years)...and he lives in Newport Richey....right outside of Tampa. DEFINITELY not what I'd consider "the deep south". But Florida to me is 1) a lot of retired people....2)Miami- lots of Cubans 3) Disney World.... and 4) Key West.... none of which paint the picture of the south... the south to me is jumbalaya/okra/collard greens-eatin, sweet tea-havin, plantation folk

Hence...NOT texas

Old Dixie is more like what you are talking about.

Do they have SWEET TEA? Collard greens? Shrimp and Grits? Southern Hospitality? If not it is not the south!

I am from the south Charleston SC and if it does not have the above it is NOT the south!

Hence...NOT texas

You haven't seen enough of Florida. Not even close. The only thing in Florida that is not southern is Miami/keys. Miami is just a smaller NYC.

Floridians are moving to my area by the thousands. Trust me, they make the transplants from Alabama blush.

The couple that bought my home last August were from Florida. The guy came to the real estate closing smoking a cigarette without his shirt on in a pair of jean shorts. :doh: (he did put on a shirt when he came into the office :) )

Archived