Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what constitutes the "south"

MissU28

There's sweet tea, fried okra, waffle houses, etc in Oklahoma .. but it's not the south and neither is Texas. I go to OU and it seems like half my school comes from the dallas metroplex and while they may have a twang and a few of the same things it's a completely different mindset/culture. Being from Maryland I don't consider myself from the south but I'm confused as to how virginia is not .. NOVA I understand but Southern virginia is ... well ... special.

What is your major?

Yeah pretty much, but I was specifically talking about the rural and southern parts of VA, which are pretty backwards compared to the rest of VA.

Always the enlightened point of view... that's what I like about Liberty.

Always the enlightened point of view... that's what I like about Liberty.

We just value different things. In the end most people are the same, their culture makes some slight cosmetic differences. I happen to not like the same values of southern culture. Why should I? What redeemable qualities does it have?

We just value different things. In the end most people are the same, their culture makes some slight cosmetic differences. I happen to not like the same values of southern culture. Why should I? What redeemable qualities does it have?

I'm not going to waste my time.

But 'we just value different things' is a bit different from calling something 'backwards'.

With all of the comments slung on this board about your family's heritage and where you are from, I thought you might not be into the whole ignorance thing. Guess not.

I'm not going to waste my time.

But 'we just value different things' is a bit different from calling something 'backwards'.

With all of the comments slung on this board about your family's heritage and where you are from, I thought you might not be into the whole ignorance thing. Guess not.

If you don't want to judge it on its merits then don't but do you think that it is fair to value some cultures more than others? Keep in my mind, that we are talking about the cultures and not the actual people.

And for what its worth I have more problem with the culture I was born into than Southern culture. If you think the stuff I have said about the South is bad then you haven't ever heard me criticize Islamic Iranian culture. I won't do it here because there is no point.

Lastly, why do you have a problem with the term "backwards" it has negative connotations but wouldn't you agree that it is just the negative way of viewing traditionalist/conservative (not using it politically) ways? I mean you can say either one, but they both mean the same thing.

There's sweet tea, fried okra, waffle houses, etc in Oklahoma .. but it's not the south and neither is Texas. I go to OU and it seems like half my school comes from the dallas metroplex and while they may have a twang and a few of the same things it's a completely different mindset/culture. Being from Maryland I don't consider myself from the south but I'm confused as to how virginia is not .. NOVA I understand but Southern virginia is ... well ... special.

If your going by the Dallas area or even the Houston area I can see your point :laugh:

However if you ever been in east Texas you would know its a whole different world...I have kin all over the state and it's amazing the differences you see in East Texas...More like northern Louisiana or Alabama .

Of course when you cover as much area as Texas,your gonna have quite a change in cultures :cool:

If you don't want to judge it on its merits then don't but do you think that it is fair to value some cultures more than others? Keep in my mind, that we are talking about the cultures and not the actual people.

And for what its worth I have more problem with the culture I was born into than Southern culture. If you think the stuff I have said about the South is bad then you haven't ever heard me criticize Islamic Iranian culture. I won't do it here because there is no point.

Lastly, why do you have a problem with the term "backwards" it has negative connotations but wouldn't you agree that it is just the negative way of viewing traditionalist/conservative (not using it politically) ways? I mean you can say either one, but they both mean the same thing.

So Liberty would you consider me backwards? I am very southern.

So Liberty would you consider me backwards? I am very southern.

I judge people on a variety of factors, you may be southern but you may also be x,y, and z. x y and z could be any number of positive or negative things. If you were all that I perceived southern culture to be, and nothing more and nothing less than yes I would consider you backwards, but I would probably say traditional to be nicer. At the same time why am I demonized here when I say the South is backwards when it is ok to say Southern people are friendly (implying that non Southern people are mean in comparison)? The South to me symbolizes a part of America that is about the unwillingness to adapt and change to the times. That is what I mean by backwards.

I judge people on a variety of factors, you may be southern but you may also be x,y, and z. x y and z could be any number of positive or negative things. If you were all that I perceived southern culture to be, and nothing more and nothing less than yes I would consider you backwards, but I would probably say traditional to be nicer. At the same time why am I demonized here when I say the South is backwards when it is ok to say Southern people are friendly (implying that non Southern people are mean in comparison)?

Might be because backwards is insulting,whereas friendly is not ;)

Added. If I compliment you on your manners does that mean no one else has them?...see where I'm going?

I judge people on a variety of factors, you may be southern but you may also be x,y, and z. x y and z could be any number of positive or negative things. If you were all that I perceived southern culture to be, and nothing more and nothing less than yes I would consider you backwards, but I would probably say traditional to be nicer. At the same time why am I demonized here when I say the South is backwards when it is ok to say Southern people are friendly (implying that non Southern people are mean in comparison)? The South to me symbolizes a part of America that is about the unwillingness to adapt and change to the times. That is what I mean by backwards.

You and I have argued on many subjects and I consider you a friend. Remember we both agree we like dogs. I understand where you are coming from and I agree with parts. We are very traditional, we are a lot slower paced, and I have a few cousins I would consider backwards but I am related to them. Not all of us are backwards. I look at both sides of a debate before I form a decision. Yes I am a republican and a conservative. I went to a southern baptist high school built in the 1700's and I swear their rules thought we all still lived in that time period. I also have an Uncle Bubba. As you can see I am very southern but do not judge a population as a whole.

You and I have argued on many subjects and I consider you a friend. Remember we both agree we like dogs. I understand where you are coming from and I agree with parts. We are very traditional, we are a lot slower paced, and I have a few cousins I would consider backwards but I am related to them. Not all of us are backwards. I look at both sides of a debate before I form a decision. Yes I am a republican and a conservative. I went to a southern baptist high school built in the 1700's and I swear their rules thought we all still lived in that time period. I also have an Uncle Bubba. As you can see I am very southern but do not judge a population as a whole.

Ok I shouldn't have said backwards because of the obvious negative connotations. But, come on I like to stir the pot :) every once in a while.

Ok I shouldn't have said backwards because of the obvious negative connotations. But, come on I like to stir the pot :) every once in a while.

I understand. Like I said I am related to a few of those backwards people but I did not think you put me in that category. If you did one of us would be banned by the end of the night as it would be WWIII Liberty vs HULY Death match. :silly:

Archived