Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what constitutes the "south"

MissU28

Texas is not the South. I know Texans like to think so, but it is not true.

The South is:

Virginia

north Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Alabama

Mississippi

Tennessee

Louisiana

Arkansas, Kentucky, and West Viriginia are all northern / midwestern states, contrary to what many believe.

Texas is not even on the radar.

Here is one I have always had trouble with: People calling San Fransisco Nothern California. San Fran is right in the middle of CA. If that is Northen CA, then what is Sacramento?

I think that is because that ain't much north of San Fran (with the exception of Sac-town - and that is more central).

It's a historical thing, I guess.

Hail to the Victors Valiant

Hail to the Conq'ring Heroes

Hail Hail to Michigan

the Leaders and Best

Hail to the Victors Valiant

Hail to the Conq'ring Heroes

Hail Hail to Michigan

the Champions of the West

Michigan used to be the West, as far as the country was concerned, because it wasn't "East."

To me, Texas is the South.

I still know some folks in the mountains of Northern Virginia that are still fighting the war.

They would probably take exception to not being considered "Southern"

Virginia is most definitely the South. No question.

The South is:

Virginia

north Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Alabama

Mississippi

Tennessee

Louisiana

Arkansas, Kentucky, and West Viriginia are all northern / midwestern states, contrary to what many believe.

I would disagree on Arkansas and Kentucky. I would put them as southern states. West Virginia I agree with. They are more like the Great Lakes States (Penn/Ohio).

The South is:

Virginia

north Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Alabama

Mississippi

Tennessee

Louisiana

Please explain why you think so.

I have always been confused by people who live in Ohio and bordering states who refer to themselves as mid-westerners.

Wouldn't the midwest really be states like Kansas, Nebraska, etc?

Ohio is where the midwest begins. Ohio is the quintessential midwestern state.

Goes back to the days when Ohio was considered the gateway to the west. (well before St Louis got that nickname)

Florida is part of the South but weird setup. The more south you go in the State the less "South" it is. Northern Florida is the most Southern. lol

It's because the world is round. If you keep driving south, you end up in the north again.

...I think the South is defined by the number of Waffle Houses there are. If you're in a decent-sized town and people don't know where the nearest Waffle House is, then you're not in the South.

Here is one I have always had trouble with: People calling San Fransisco Nothern California. San Fran is right in the middle of CA. If that is Northen CA, then what is Sacramento?

That's a cultural rivalry thing.

SoCal revolves around LA, includes San Diego, and implies beaches, Hollywood, automobiles and freeways, etc. NoCal revolves around San Francisco, includes Sacto and San Jose and implies forests, hippies, high tech, wine and food snobs, etc.. Californians tend to identify with one or the other in an ongoing cultural war between the two.

...I think the South is defined by the number of Waffle Houses there are. If you're in a decent-sized town and people don't know where the nearest Waffle House is, then you're not in the South.

One of the South's best qualities, in my opinion. :hungry:

If that's the case Maryland would be in the 'south.'

Alot of Maryland WAS below the mason-dixon line, therefore the South, so people from most of Maryland CAN claim to be Southerners. Richmond, Va. was the CAPITOL of the Confederacy, so anyone who lives in VA. and would be offended by hearing they are from the South is really ignorant. Alot of your Western states were largely unsettled, like Texas, but Texas did secede from the Union too(more correctly, they wanted to be their own NATION), so your friends in Texas would be correct in calling themselves Southerners.

It's because the world is round. If you keep driving south, you end up in the north again.

:laugh:

I would disagree on Arkansas and Kentucky. I would put them as southern states. West Virginia I agree with. They are more like the Great Lakes States (Penn/Ohio).

Kentucky could swing either way... because it has a definite southern feel to it. However when you get to northern kentucky, it feels a lot midwestern.

But alas, they were not a confederate state, so Kentucky goes to the midwest. :)

Arkansas... they might be a southern state, I could be convinced, but in the times I've spent there nothing about it strikes me as 'southern'. They were a confederate state, so maybe they are part of the south, I dunno.

West Virginia seceeded from Virginia to join the north... so no question about them. :)

Living in North Carolina myself its getting harder to know where the south stops and the North starts. We have more and more people move to the south from the north and its really starting to change. My wife is from St. Pete Fla, and she did not think of herself as being from the south. So who really know anymore

Living in North Carolina myself its getting harder to know where the south stops and the North starts. We have more and more people move to the south from the north and its really starting to change. My wife is from St. Pete Fla, and she did not think of herself as being from the south. So who really know anymore

Especically in your neck of the woods. My mom just retired and moved to Brevard, NC from MD. She said a a lot of people moving there are from all over the US.

Having lived in a border state (WV), and two states actually IN the South (SC and NC), and traveled the country extensively, I'd say that the South is a cultural distinction more than anything.

These factors help:

1) The sweet tea test is dead on- can you get a glass of sweet tea at every restaurant?

2) Waffle house count- also a good test

3) Do the locals eat grits?

4) If you're asking your friends if they want to go somewhere, do you say "Do you guys want to go..." or do you say "Do y'all want to go..."

Now Florida is a tough state to determine b/c there are so many people living there that have moved from northern states. But Florida, in many parts, is decidedly Southern.

Texas is out, even though some of the factors apply. It's not the South. It's either Southwest or a category unto itself. The primary image of a southerner is not a Cowboy.

Maryland and Northern Virginia are out.

All of West Virginia south of Beckley is in. (One county in southern WV, Mercer, actually tried to succede from the Confederacy AND the Union to form its own state).

The Wikipedia thing included Delaware? Now I know why I never trust Wikipedia for anything... lol

Especically in your neck of the woods. My mom just retired and moved to Brevard, NC from MD. She said a a lot of people moving there are from all over the US.
Brevard is a very nice place to live. Im only one county over from Brevard. My wife and I are trying to buy some land there.

Archived